The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-06-2003, 07:44 PM   #1
Ghostblade
Pile O'Bones

Ghostblade has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien What do u think is the coolest creature(s)? Give me a talk I would like to know!

null :evil
Old 08-06-2003, 08:08 PM   #2
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

No offense or nothing, but what are u asking for here?
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 04:15 PM   #3
Ghostblade
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Sorry, what I mean is What do you think is the coolest creature/race/person in etiher the books or the movies.

-Ghostblade
(Sorry for any trouble)
Old 08-07-2003, 08:04 PM   #4
Novberaid
Animated Skeleton

Novberaid has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Ents! What could be cooler than Ents? They
were there at the beginning and are still there. We don't even know how long their wives have been missing, and still they go on.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:28 PM   #5
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

The Ents were cool, but I don't think anyone can surpass Tom Bombadil. I'm not sure what he is really, but he's been around forever and he's the coolest. Tolkien's discriptions of him and Goldberry are just amazing. I love reading about them the most because it is something that just intrigues your mind to the point that you are sitting there in awe as you read.

When Tolkien talks about Tom's home and what it looks and feels and sounds like, I feel like I've been taken away to another world. It's incredible how brilliant Tolkien's mind had to be to create such a figure and be able to express it in words. I can't even express at this moment at how unbelievable extraordinary the character is for my words can't describe it.

And I'm sure that there are other topics like this one out there, but I haven't replied on any of those before and I felt like adding in my thoughts here.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 09:59 PM   #6
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Yeah, I agree. Tom Bombadil rocks. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] It's really a shame they didn't put him in the movie... The descriptions in those chapters are so beautiful, and they're one of the things I remember most prominantly from the series. He's just an all-around cool character [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Not that there's anything wrong with the Ents...
Old 08-07-2003, 11:26 PM   #7
Noldorin King
Animated Skeleton

Noldorin King has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Balrogs. Evil spirits from the pits of hell fire. These ancient creatures of Melko fled before the War of Wrath that ended the weary strife of the Eldar against the Dark Lord and few that remained hid in the chasms of the Earth. These Ainur might not be the strongest that walked the land but but they were divine of nature and had been present before Arda was made known for the Chikdren of Eru. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Noldorin King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 01:56 AM   #8
Kaiserin
Wight

Kaiserin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'd say dragons are the coolest.. at least, they are in the way I imagine them [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Think - giant winged serpents that are intelligent and articulate; fearfully majestic...

And of course, elves have a wonder about them that is so awesome. I think everybodu would agree to that.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:46 AM   #9
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Sting

Quote:
Tom Bombadil rocks.
I totally agree. I like Tom, and it was too bad he wasn't in FOTR. I was kind of dissapointed that he wasn't a part of the film.

I like Ents too. I don't really know why, though. I think I just like them because they are "talking trees." If you know what I mean.... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ August 08, 2003: Message edited by: Orofaniel ]
Old 08-08-2003, 03:55 AM   #10
Selmo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Selmo has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Balrogs, cool?
I thought they were sprits of fire.
Wouldn't they be rather hot?

The coolest creatures in Middle Earth might be Morgoth's Cold Drakes.
Selmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 05:19 AM   #11
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thinking about it, Ents are pretty fantastic. But I love Men above all other races.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:34 AM   #12
Ghostblade
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Yo me again just checking out all of your response!! They are all awsome!!!!! But I have got to tell you That I think that it has got to be dragons, Elves, and Melcore( going off of my memory f how to spell his name.) Now don't think I'm nuts, but he was cool. I mean he was a god, had an awsome name
and he was clever too. so, that's what I think. Keep on answering your doing great so far!!!

-Ghostblade
Old 08-14-2003, 07:25 PM   #13
Trippo The Hippo
Wight

Location: somewhere with hippos that say jolly o and wear spectacles
Trippo The Hippo has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I'd say hobbits I love there carefree life style.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:08 AM   #14
lil'kitty

The Eye

The coolest creature in LotR must be Balrogs!
Old 08-15-2003, 08:28 AM   #15
Marroc Underhill
Haunting Spirit

Marroc Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Balrogs all the way! If I could shift my shape, it would be a Balrog! I mean, they have the power to create flame and they can travel using it. Melkor is awsome to, ugly but cool. I mean he destroyed the two great Lanturns. He was matched in power with Manwe Sulimo! Thats pretty powerful! I wonder who was more powerful, Melkor with the Hammer of the Underworld, or Sauron with the One Ring? Melkor is responsible for a lot of the things the Fellowship went through, the Balrog and the Misty Mountains, [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I can't think of anymore!
Old 08-17-2003, 11:01 AM   #16
Dancing_Hobbit
Haunting Spirit

Location: A fairyland of mists and shadows deep in the emerald wood.
Dancing_Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Tom Bombadil is certainly a great character, but i think hobbits at least equal to him. they are the epitome of a perfect life and a perfect race - or at least as close to perfection as possible. they aren't as noble and wise as elves or as strong and valient as humans, but they are generally good and kind and know what's important in life. they are also extreemily hardy and able to rise to just about any situation. if need be they can be anything that any of the other races can be. best of all, they are very much a part of nature. the best way to describe them is earthy. anyway, that's my view. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2003, 09:10 PM   #17
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Tom Bombadil is certainly a great character, but i think hobbits at least equal to him.
Ooo! I change my vote to hobbits! Although I'm not sure I consider them "creatures" More like...a race or...group. I dunno. I think a "creature" is more like an animal, or spirit.

Just my humble opinion [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2003, 08:40 AM   #18
Finnguala
Wight

Finnguala has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

The Elves!!! They are so wonderful! I just love them. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2003, 02:57 PM   #19
Orodoliel
Haunting Spirit

Orodoliel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree, elves are definitely the best. They are just so graceful and wise without even being anything special (like the Ainur), they are just a race [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Which makes them even better!
Old 08-21-2003, 03:57 PM   #20
Elrowen Greenleaf
Animated Skeleton

Elrowen Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elrowen Greenleaf
Eye

I completely agree. Elves are the best! I also like the Dunedain and Rohirrim... but the Elves definately surpass everybody else in the area of coolness.

The bow of Legolas was singing.
Elrowen Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 04:05 PM   #21
Vanaelda

White-Hand

I believe that the Elves are the coolest creatures in the whole world! I love them for several reasons. The first is because they never sleep. (I never sleep!) Second is because they are immortal. I mean how many people get to live forever? And third is because they are very beautiful creatures. I wish I was as beautiful as them.

I also think the orcs are cool. They are bad creatures and all but they are very interesting.
(I'm glad to be here at forum but I won't be at chat any more because I am going to the Milton Hershey School and I won't be able to access chat)
[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2003, 03:17 PM   #22
Thalionmar
Pile O'Bones

Thalionmar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Elves all they way!!

I like how the elvish race is so varied. You get jolly, friendly down to middle-earth elves and you get tall kingly powerful wise elves with terrible bright eyes(which I prefer.)

It would also be a great comfort to me if I were an elf to know that I had the right to go to the safety of Valinor if ME bcame unsafe.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:45 PM   #23
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

SHELOB!!! C'mon guys, giant spiders are the coolest. Think about Ungoliant for a minute. Everyone was scared of her, including Melkor, and dude, he was pretty scary and cool too. You don't mess with the giant spiders.

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 08-22-2003, 09:28 PM   #24
Corwyn Celesil
Haunting Spirit

Corwyn Celesil has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

My favorite characters above all are the Elves, their beauty, wisdom, skill, artisanship. Secondly I love the Hobbits for their homeliness, their astounding hardiness and resistance to evil, their humble pluck.
Then came there from the south of the city the people of the Fountain, and Ecthelion was their lord, and silver and diamonds were their delight; and swords very long and bright and pale did they wield . . .
Corwyn Celesil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 09:49 PM   #25
Lily

Lily has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lily
Shield

The coolest creature is the Nazgul for sure!!!! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] The ents were cool though too. I also thought that the barrow wrights were neat. The coolest person would have to be Gandalf!!!! Hands down! The elven race is interesting. Also I thought that the Nazgul's horses were very well...different and freaky. The trolls were actually kind of cool. Oh! I liked Gollum! He was great! Haha! In sort I like almost all the creatures except orcs yuck! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 10:19 PM   #26
Frwek
Pile O'Bones

Frwek has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Frwek Send a message via AIM to Frwek
Sting

I'll have to go for the Ents...they'r cool [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ..
Frwek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 06:52 AM   #27
BlingBlingtheWarriorElf
Newly Deceased

BlingBlingtheWarriorElf has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Ellvens are the best! They can live forever, that's cool.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:09 PM   #28
Dragon Elf odin Ragnorock
Animated Skeleton

Dragon Elf odin Ragnorock has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I would have to say dragons because thay are practicly invincible, They have scales as hard as dimonds, teeth that are swords and a huge whip-like tail.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:29 PM   #29
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting

First off, im sorry I am acting like a Mod even tho im not but When you post a new Topic you should post examples along with it.

But as an answer to them all, My favirote Creature is the the Balrog, Race the Men, and person would have to be Smeagol/gollum

PS. Welcome to the downs and Enjoy being dead
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 10:12 PM   #30
nPiLL
Haunting Spirit

nPiLL has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to nPiLL
Sting

I would have to say the Elves of Middle Earth would have to be my favorite creature. The way they have so many special abilites such as their site, aim with the bow and quick wits are just totally superior to that of humans or dwarves.

If I had to pick my second favorite creature it would have to be Ents. As said before they have been around forever in Middle Earth and can wipe out Isengard in minutes. The animators for the TTT movie did a nice job of creating the Ents in the movie.
nPiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 06:07 PM   #31
you are within my realm

Silmaril

I think that the single most facinating creature that tolkien made is the Ent. Lots of the other creatures are good as well but i think to think up something so collosal and old and wise in your mind is something pretty awesome. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2003, 06:20 PM   #32
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

All the creatures and races in LOTR have something unique about them! I couldn't choose which race or creature I like best!

Well I guess it would leave out the orcs. Their culture is so crude it is not worth studying!
Old 09-06-2003, 10:22 PM   #33
Erunno of Mirkwood

Sting

Hello folks, I was just reading all of these and I was really glad when somebody brought up Ungoliant and the giant spiders, I mean they are awesome! Throughout LOTR I think that the descriptions of Shelob had to have the greatest effect. I could smell the cave and the mustly smell of death, it was amazing. Didn't help that I'm slightly arachniphobic either, but whatever. Even though they are thoroughly amazing, I'd have to put my vote to the Balrogs. Amazing powerful creatures made of shadow and flame, with an astonishing amount of sentience. Essentially they represent a form of fallen angel. Orcs are cool, but they don't stand high on my list. Elves are truly my kind of people. Besides I am the brono thenin evair.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:07 AM   #34
Ophelia
Wight

Ophelia has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Hobbits rule !!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2003, 01:28 PM   #35
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My favorite creature would have to be the fell beast and my favorite race(s) would be Men and Hobbits.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:48 PM   #36
Enif
Pile O'Bones

Enif has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Enif
Sting

Ents and Nazgul! definetly!

[ October 07, 2003: Message edited by: Enif ]
Old 10-07-2003, 05:31 PM   #37
Gilbo
Animated Skeleton

Gilbo has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

PUH-LEEZE!! All the responses are excellent. Everyone has their favorite and all with adequate reason. But if anyone doubts that WIZARDS are the coolest, please step outside so that the whuppins can commence.
Sent by the Ainur;can cast spells to make beer excellent; always know where the best pipeweed is; get to hang out with Elves, Dwarves, Hobbits,Men,Eagles,Ents, Bombadil, etc.;carry staffs; wear neato hats; shoot off great fireworks; and can kick a Balrogs a**!! How could they not be cool? Especially, my man, Gandalf. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Gilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 06:37 PM   #38
edhellen heru

Sting

I Think that wizzards are the best. They are maiar(Probably not the way to spell that) after all. They get my vote.

I belive it would have to be Melkor. He was a valar while Sauron was a maiar. besides, Souron was a servant of Melkor.