The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-22-2003, 11:35 AM   #1
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting NEWS: Extended Movies Rereleased in Theaters

Take a look at this....<P>Before any king can return, New Line Cinema will re-release of the first two "Lord of the Rings" pics worldwide, this time with additional scenes and footage added. <P>Just two weeks before the Dec. 17 release of "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" -- the final installment of the Peter Jackson-helmed epic trilogy -- the first two "Ring" entries will be unspooling worldwide. <P>In memoranda sent to exhibitors on Wednesday, New Line laid out a game plan to promote the third film by refreshing filmgoers' memories with "The Fellowship of the Ring" and "The Two Towers." <P>Plan calls for putting the films on 100-150 screens in top 10 U.S. markets. Many other U.S. cities will have one cinema participating in the special extended edition screenings. Running times for the extended editions are 208 minutes for "Fellowship of the Ring" and 214 minutes for "The Two Towers." <P>Advanced ticket sales are scheduled to begin in late September or early October on exhibitor Web sites and movie ticketing sites like Fandango, MovieFone and Movietickets.com. <P>Yipes! I wonder what the ten markets are.... This was brought to my attention by a friend.<P>See this for details: <BR><A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1061560805" TARGET=_blank>Movies to be released again.....</A><p>[ August 22, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-22-2003, 11:43 AM   #2
Calenedheliel1
Pile O'Bones

Calenedheliel1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I had hoped that they would re-release the movies but never expected it to be the extended versions. I can't wait to see the extended versions on the big screen. I will be buying tickets as soon as they are available and if they are available in my area. Wow this is going to be great.
Calenedheliel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 11:51 AM   #3
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

I will admit that I also plan on going. I'd love to see some of that extended hobbit footage from the first film on wide screen, and the scenes with Galadriel.<P>I sure wish I knew which U.S. cities they've chosen for this. <P>If anyone hears, please post that in this thread.<P>sharon
Old 08-22-2003, 04:14 PM   #4
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Just in the US and Canada? What about the UK? I want to go too...
Old 08-22-2003, 04:20 PM   #5
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow! That is possilby the best news I've heard all year. I went to the site and read this:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Then, the week of Dec. 12, sequel "Two Towers" will unspool, just a month after having preemed on DVD, leading up to a <B>worldwide</B> Dec. 16 daylong marathon, during which all three films will be shown back-to-back. Exhib guidelines call for a 3 p.m. showing of "Fellowship" followed by a 7 p.m. screening of "Two Towers" and then an 11 p.m. screening of "Return of the King," which will carry over into Dec. 17 -- the day of its global release. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Wow!!! I hope that Winnipeg is doing that. I am so getting tickets. Ah....wow. Wow. Thanks a bunch, Cami!<p>[ August 22, 2003: Message edited by: Horse-Maiden of the Shire ]
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 04:55 PM   #6
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I hope that you can still see ROTK at midnight on the 17th without attending the entire marathon. I need to go to school that day! (school for me does not get out for winter break until the 19th)
Old 08-22-2003, 05:18 PM   #7
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I hope my theater does the marathon of all three movies on the 16th, I never got to see FotR on the big screen and that'd just make my year!

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 01:39 PM   #8
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ooooh that is so tempting! I have to work both days, but I work very near a large cinema, and I finish work at 3. So, I could just about manage to sneak in as FotR is starting, stay there all evening, and get... maybe 3 hours' sleep before I go back to work? Perhaps not the most sensible of things to do, but definitely very very tempting. Thanks for letting us know about this.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:49 PM   #9
Urwendi

Sting

Oh my gosh...I am going to faint !!! I can't believe this I am so excited. I would pay anything and drive to any cinema in order to see the marathon. I would even take off school for a day so that I could go. Thank you to all who gave this information. I am so happy, that will surely be the best day of my life...if I never meet Orlando Bloom...lol! This is so exciting because I have never seen FotR in theaters.<BR>
Old 08-24-2003, 11:57 AM   #10
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

A family friend from New York (who's also a huge LOTR fan) sent me an email with this article. Obviously, she is just as excited. <P>Lucky for me, my local theater sells tickets through Fandango, so there's a chance that I'll be able to see the Extended Versions on the big screen.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:43 PM   #11
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Wow thats so totally cool!!! I would love to go watch the first pics again in theaters and then beable to go see ROTK!!!! That would be an awesome build up of excitement!!!!!<P>But are we sure that this is really true?
Old 08-24-2003, 03:54 PM   #12
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Arwen Evenstar,<P>I hope so... The one.ring.net is usually reliable about movie news.<P>Cami/Child
Old 08-25-2003, 12:29 PM   #13
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sounds exiting! I'd love to see the ext. versions on the big screen. Last year they re-premiered Fotr (theatrical version of course) in one of the cinemas here 7-10 days before TTT premiered. Gave people who hadn't seen it, like my sis, a chance to see FotR on the big screen (of course, being the good brother, I went with her ) before they saw TTT.<P>I hope they'll re-premiere both FotR & TTT the same way just prior to the release of RotK this year. If there's a chance to watch both in their ext. versions on the big screen, it'll be great!
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 12:54 PM   #14
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

100-150 theaters, huh? That makes me doubt that Wisconsin will have a chance except maybe Milwaukee but that is too far to drive when I aready will have both extended versions and Boss surround sound in my basement.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 01:47 PM   #15
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1061833596" TARGET=_blank>Here's the latest.</A><P>Among other things there's this ...<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Then, on Tuesday, December 16, participating theaters will show a one-time-only marathon of both Extended Edition prints followed by an 11pm screening of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>One word ... CAFFEINE and lot's of it. <P>H.C.<p>[ August 25, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 08-27-2003, 12:50 PM   #16
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Child, (yeah, I'm back - resurfacing from writing for a bit... I've hit the 400 page mark at this point) if I remember from working in advertising, the top 8 US markets are (in no particular order):<P>New York<BR>Washington DC Metropolitan area (incl Maryland and Northern VA)<BR>Los Angeles Metropolitan area<BR>Detroit Metropolitan area<BR>Dallas-Fort Worth<BR>San Francisco/Bay area<BR>Miami area<BR>Chicago area<P>Whenever you do a major release of anything, you hit those areas for sure.<P>If the 10 areas <I>include</I> Canada, then the other two are likely to be Toronto and Vancouver. Otherwise, I'll make a guess and say the last two markets might be Minneapolis-St. Paul, and... perhaps, Philly? Not sure about those two. <P>Maril
Old 08-27-2003, 02:28 PM   #17
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Miami is way too far... anyone know if there'll be a showing in the north Florida/south Georgia area? Maybe they'll hit Talahassee.

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 03:10 PM   #18
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dūm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

Hopefully they'll hit Boston; NYC and Philly are both waaaay too far from me!
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 04:17 PM   #19
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Maril,<P>I've eyeballed your list of largest U.S. markets where the movie may be released:<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>New York<BR>Washington DC Metropolitan area (incl Maryland and Northern VA)<BR>Los Angeles Metropolitan area<BR>Detroit Metropolitan area<BR>Dallas-Fort Worth<BR>San Francisco/Bay area<BR>Miami area<BR>Chicago area<P> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ack, no! How can this be? Houston is a <B> much </B> larger city than Dallas-Fort Worth or Detroit (even a larger metropolitan area). <P>I was born in Detroit and still have family there. Houston is the fourth largest city in the U.S. <P>I guess we will just have to wait and see.<P>sharon
Old 08-27-2003, 06:41 PM   #20
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Sting

These are broad demographic areas. For all I know, the Dallas-Fort Worth extends to Houston they way they draw the map.<P>The city of Detroit is small. In terms of demographics, 'Detroit' is actually from Detroit to Pontiac (and including Pontiac), and as far west as Ann Arbor. It's based on the areas the TV stations serve. If I recall, the top areas were in order:<P>LA<BR>New York<BR>DC<BR>Detroit<BR>Chicago<P>I was surprised that it was larger than Chicago, because as a city Chicago's much bigger. <P>Houston is up there, true, in the same size realm as the San Francisco-Bay area. It may be Minneapolis-St. Paul and Houston. Like I said, the last two I'm not sure about.<P>Maril
Old 08-27-2003, 06:58 PM   #21
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Sting

Peony & Shy, <P>These are broad demongraphic areas, 25-50 miles as the crow flies, perhaps more. If you have the same TV stations of any of these cities, chances are it'll be in a theater near you.<P>If anyone's interested, the way this works is that you can't promote a film Nationally. Each demographic region has its own price scale, <I>and</I> you have to negotiate each radio station and TV station time separately. You can't just say "I'll take NBC, CBS and ABC on the side, and - yeah - I'll have the radio station combo platter to go" like you're ordering a meal. <P>On top of that, each time slot and TV show is priced differently. You want to advertize during Oprah? You're gonna pay through the nose. Want to advertize at 2am during the 'Creature Feature'? It's practically free. But that's a whole other matter.<P>This tells you why PJ is limiting his showings to major markets. <P>For New Line to release something that's going to have a specialized market, to justify the advertizing costs (so they don't lose their shirts by the time they've finished promoting it) they have to keep it to those what they call 'High Impact Areas,' where for every dollar spent you get 57 people stampeding to the theater.<P>That's how it works.<P>Maril
Old 08-28-2003, 05:55 AM   #22
Elentįri
Wight

Elentįri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Just in the US and Canada? What about the UK? I want to go too... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yeah, me too! This is sooo unfair....But if I could have the chance to meet Orlando, then it'd be a different matter...after all, I have FotR Extended and I'm getting TTT Extended...
Old 08-31-2003, 09:17 AM   #23
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>... on Tuesday, December 16, participating theaters will show a one-time-only marathon of both Extended Edition prints followed by an 11pm screening of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>And one of the places is Seattle, at the wonderful Cinerama Theatre on 4th & Lenora streets downtown! They are already working out the preliminaries! I am sooo there!
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 10:30 AM   #24
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gee, and here I was, hoping it would come to the Lewisburg, Tennessee Drive-in! Its a long road to Dallas/Ft. Worth OR Miami from here, probably 2-3 days' drive! Oh well! <P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 10:39 AM   #25
Cinderella
Wight

Cinderella has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cinderella
Silmaril

oh PLEASE let it come to the Boston area!!! If not I'm making someone drive me to NYC because I simply can't miss an extended version marathon! Anybody willing to come pick me up?
Old 08-31-2003, 09:54 PM   #26
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, I had already scheduled to take off work on December 17 so I could watch RotK multiple times. Then last week when I heard about the marathon on the 16th, I took that day off as well, and then wound up taking the entire week. I am <I>reeallly</I> hoping for it to show in the Austin area, but hey! I'm only about 2 hours from Dallas/Fort Worth and have many friends in the area that I can stay with. I also have some friends in Houston if it shows there instead. So if it shows anywhere in Texas, I'll be there!! What an incredible experience!
Old 09-01-2003, 01:42 PM   #27
LOTRFreak297

Thumbs up

YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!YAY!
Old 09-01-2003, 01:54 PM   #28
Carromeniel

Tolkien

I heard about this too. It sounds so awesome, and I can't wait to see them!
Old 09-01-2003, 03:11 PM   #29
Marillanna Sarnie
Pile O'Bones

Marillanna Sarnie has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Wow! I can hardly wait! Oh, Horse-Maiden of the Shire, I hope it comes to Winnipeg too! I just better not have any exams that day......
Old 09-03-2003, 01:09 PM   #30
ESTEN
Animated Skeleton

ESTEN has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ESTEN
Sting

All I really hope is that this doesn't turen into one of those events where the tickets are all priced moderatley, but scalpers get most of them and then sell them to all of us hardcore fans for a mint. I will most likely go either way, but when I have to pay a really high price from someone who doesn't care I hate that
ESTEN is offline   Reply With Quote