The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-18-2003, 11:27 PM   #1
Gammus

Tolkien The power of Wizards

As we all know, The istari, or wizards were an order of Powerful Maia. However Tolkien never explained anything about their powers and such. we get slight hints such as Gandalf with his fire works, Sarumans voice, and Radaghast's woodland love. But just what are the powers of the Istari?
Old 01-19-2003, 06:34 AM   #2
Pallando B.C
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pallando B.C has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pallando B.C
Sting

The Istari were sent to Middle-earth to:

Quote:
...contest the power of Sauron, and to unite all those who had the will to resist him.
and..

Quote:
..were forbidden to reveal their true natures or to use their full strength in direct conflict with the Enemy
This means that the fires and voices you speak of were only 'minor' strengths of the Wizards. You could assume that since they were of Valinorean race, they had power, but did not use it whilst on Middle-earth.

Support The Aussies!
Pallando B.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 06:44 AM   #3
Jurion
Haunting Spirit

Jurion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

They were sent to Middle Earth by the Valar to rekindle something in the hearts of Men and Elves and to incite them to withstand Sauron and to do brave deeds.
Jurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 02:02 PM   #4
Eldar14
Wight

Eldar14 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eldar14
Tolkien

Which is why the wizards never stood up directly against Sauron once he started to regain power. The Istari and Sauron were all Maia, and I'm pretty sure the wizards would have had a pretty good chance head to head against Sauron, but their purpose was not to do actual great deeds themselves, but to "nudge others out the door" so as that they could do the great deeds.

-- Fëanor to the Noldor
Eldar14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 06:05 PM   #5
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

But didn't Gandalf leave Bilbo and the company of Dwarves to battle directly with the Necromancer of Southern Mirkwood? Or was he perhaps just guiding those who were standing up to that power?
Old 01-19-2003, 09:32 PM   #6
Eldar14
Wight

Eldar14 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eldar14
Tolkien

Hmmm, I don't know. But did Tolkien know at the time he was writing the Hobbit that the Necromancer would turn out to be Sauron? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

-- Fëanor to the Noldor
Eldar14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 12:49 PM   #7
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

How about Gandalf shooting out beams of pure white light that can seriously scare and or harm dark creatures. He chased off the Nazgul single handedly on a few occasions, and contested physically with the raw power of the Balrog of Khazad-Dum. Not to mention he can speak a multitude of animal languages and smoke tobacco for thousands of years without even getting a trace of lung cancer. And he can percieve things from afar like when he contested with Sauron's eye from Caras Galadhon to draw attention from Frodo on Amon Hen. They were really, really powerful without using their full potential, so maybe they couldn't all shapeshift or manipulate people with no more than the sound of their voice, but to be able to contest mentally and physically with Sauron (although never openly), the Balrog, the Nazgul Lord, and more, at least Gandalf was a supreme being.
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 01:15 PM   #8
Falathion
Pile O'Bones

Falathion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Indeed he was! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2003, 01:24 PM   #9
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Tolkien

I second that [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
How about Gandalf shooting out beams of pure white light that can seriously scare and or harm dark creatures. He chased off the Nazgul single handedly on a few occasions, and contested physically with the raw power of the Balrog of Khazad-Dum. Not to mention he can speak a multitude of animal languages and smoke tobacco for thousands of years without even getting a trace of lung cancer. And he can percieve things from afar like when he contested with Sauron's eye from Caras Galadhon to draw attention from Frodo on Amon Hen. They were really, really powerful without using their full potential, so maybe they couldn't all shapeshift or manipulate people with no more than the sound of their voice, but to be able to contest mentally and physically with Sauron (although never openly), the Balrog, the Nazgul Lord, and more, at least Gandalf was a supreme being.
InklingElf is offline   Reply With Quote