The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-05-2002, 09:42 AM   #1
Bad Fairy
Pile O'Bones

Bad Fairy has just left Hobbiton.
Ring LOTR Cartoon

Having read earlier posts (in particular one by Rosa Underhill) I was wondering what people opinions are on the cartoon version of LOTR.<P>I have read the books now and seen FOTR twice and would like to know if anyone would recomend hiring this out ?? thanks <p>[ February 05, 2002: Message edited by: Bad Fairy ]
For ALL face now the Burning Times."
- L. A. Hussey
Bad Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 10:19 AM   #2
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

No. I saw it years ago, and still remember it as being pathetic. Don't do it.
Old 02-05-2002, 02:03 PM   #3
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Eek! I still have memories of myself, aged 8, dragging my father out of the cinema, wailing because the story wasn't right. BOO!! Nassty cartoon, we hatess it, yess we do!
Old 02-05-2002, 03:17 PM   #4
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Bruce MacCulloch has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Bruce MacCulloch
Ring

What? No one liked the infamous slippered Balrog?<BR>
Old 02-06-2002, 05:56 AM   #5
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting

"The Hobbit" cartoon was one of the highlights of my young life. Being done by the same folks, I can only hope that "The Return of the King" is as good. But "The Lord of the Rings": no.<P>It was horrid! I almost stopped reading the books after seeing it, it was that bad. (Thankfully, that didn't happen.) It spoiled so many awesome surprises for me. If you really wanna know just how bad it is, someone took the time to write a detailed review of the film, critiquing every last, wretched detail. It's right <A HREF="http://flyingmoose.org/tolksarc/bakshi/bakshi.htm" TARGET=_blank>here</A>. Check it for no other reason than to get a good laugh. (The review, not the film. That was so bad it wasn't even funny.)
Old 02-06-2002, 06:00 AM   #6
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I believe Frodo describes this film best right here. Poor little Hobbit, he didn't deserve all that on top of everything else he had to go through...<P> <BR><I>Intriguingly, Frodo turns away from Gandalf and looks directly into the camera, his eyes curiously tortured and beseeching. It's almost as if he's saying to the audience: "Please, please find a way to get me out of this ludicrous movie." </I>
Old 02-06-2002, 06:14 AM   #7
Bad Fairy
Pile O'Bones

Bad Fairy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*LOL* Well, what with that review and the other postings here (inc. poor Frodo's deperate plea)........ I think I'll give it a miss <P>Thanx everyone<p>[ February 06, 2002: Message edited by: Bad Fairy ]
For ALL face now the Burning Times."
- L. A. Hussey
Bad Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 02:07 AM   #8
ripcurlgirl

Ring

Oh mi god!! That critic thing that rosa underhill sent is <B>Halarius!</B> (sorry cant spell it properly !). But I have never ever heard of that cartoon. When did it come out?
Old 02-12-2002, 02:18 AM   #9
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Bruce MacCulloch has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Bruce MacCulloch
Ring

The Ralph Bakshi animated movie came out in 1978. It only goes so far as the Battle of Helm's Deep.<BR>In 1980 Rankin/Bass (the same guys that did the animated <I>Hobbit</I> and <I>Rudolph</I>) made an animated movie <I>The Return of the King</I>. It's actually worse than Bakshi's, if that's at all possible. The whole concept of the people that did <I>Frosty the Snowman</I> doing anything based on Tolkien is just wrong.<P>[ February 12, 2002: Message edited by: Bruce MacCulloch ]<p>[ February 12, 2002: Message edited by: Bruce MacCulloch ]
Old 02-12-2002, 03:15 AM   #10
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Is the RotK cartoon really that bad? Drat, and I just won it on eBay for eight bucks! Well, so long as the same voice actor who did Sam in the LotR cartoon isn't in it, I still don't think it could be that bad. <P>Honestly, I love Sam, really I do, but everytime he opened his mouth during that wretched film I wanted someone to shut him up! Ugh, that lisp was horrible and unnecessary! *shudder*
Old 02-12-2002, 03:22 AM   #11
Glenethor
Wight

Glenethor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I saw the RoTK cartoon a long time ago. It made no lasting impression on me, although I do remember the line 'where there's a whip there's a way, my slugs!' or something like that. I hated Gollum's voice in the cartoon. Not really the voice, but the fact that he'd utter 'gollum' as a word, when I have always perceived it as some sort of involuntary sub-vocalization. <P>Yeah, Sam was a little goofy. They all looked a little too cute. Almost Disneyish.

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Glenethor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 09:17 AM   #12
birdland

Sting

The one thing I remember about the Bakshi film was that the pupils of the character's eyes seemed to "drift" alot. Some kind of flaw in the animation process I guess. Anyway, it looked like Frodo and Sam were having petite mal seizures half the time. <P>Oh, yeah, and the gore. Peter Jackson gonna have to really go over the top in Two Towers if he wants to beat Bakshi's animated gore.
Old 02-13-2002, 08:57 AM   #13
Araen
Haunting Spirit

Araen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I recal being a little eight year old sitting in class and them telling me that they were going to show The Hobbit. I was all happy because I had just read the book. Well a hour or so later I was being dragged out of the room yelling about how bloody auful the film was. They thought I had gone crazy because I stared talking in an english accent and useing english type words. I got in a lot of troubel.... don't see it. The story was butered.
"Where is the horse and the rider, where is the horn that was blowing, they have passed like rain on the mountains, like wind in the meadow, the days are damned in the west? behind the hills? there are shadows... "
Araen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 10:33 AM   #14
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I very much enjoyed the Rankin/Bass "Hobbit" cartoon. Bashi's LotR, well...see above.<P>Disney-ish, aye, but I think they're a bit more unique than Disney would've had them. I read an article that scared me greatly once; it was talking about how close Disney had come to having the rights to LotR. *shudder* I'm so glad New Line and PJ got it!
Old 02-13-2002, 10:48 AM   #15
Araen
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Disney? Nooooooooooo that would be incredably scary, like Sauron getting the one ring scary.........
"Where is the horse and the rider, where is the horn that was blowing, they have passed like rain on the mountains, like wind in the meadow, the days are damned in the west? behind the hills? there are shadows... "
Old 02-13-2002, 11:48 AM   #16
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I can see the Hobbits all grouped together singing some really cheesy song now... And Disney probably would give Rose a bigger part and some hideous sob-song about how much she misses Sam and Sam himself would be a really dopey sidekcik... *shudder, twitch*
Old 02-13-2002, 11:51 AM   #17
Araen
Haunting Spirit

Sting

::Pictures a snowhite like movie:: That would be veeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry sad.....
Old 02-13-2002, 12:59 PM   #18
Glenethor
Wight

Glenethor has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, to Barad-Dur we go! <BR> <P>There are a few scenes that are ok in the cartoon.<P> Ha! The Mouse has had numerous opportunities over the years to get its claws on LOTR but passed everytime. We are fortunate that some suit looked at the idea, and said 'why not do three movies instead of one or two?' 'Here's a garbage bag of $1,000.00 bills, go to it! Get back to me when it's done Pete 'ol boy!' What a trip the last couple of years must've been for all involved. Jeez...<BR>

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Glenethor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 01:55 PM   #19
cmagica

Silmaril

I thought the cartoon was pretty good.and the movie was great.although both didn't really keep to the book.
Old 02-13-2002, 01:57 PM   #20
cmagica

Silmaril

Hey ya know what would be cool.If the made a movie in to the hobbit.
Old 02-13-2002, 02:19 PM   #21
Tarlondeion Of Gondolin
Haunting Spirit

Tarlondeion Of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Someone gave me the cartoon on video for my birthday, but to the tell the truth it was really crap. They pronounced Sauron, Sawron (or something like that) wrong and they called Saruman, Aruman. It was terrible all the places looked totally different to their descriptions in the book. My overall opinion was that it was absolutley TERRIBLE!!!
Tarlondeion Of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 03:51 PM   #22
Eglantine Ploughman

Hy folks!<P>Sorry, just wanted to see if my picture works...! <P>Thank's a lot!
Old 02-13-2002, 04:57 PM   #23
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Why do hobbits always have afros in the cartoons?...<P>Oh, I figured it out! If anyone else thinks Schmendrick from "The Last Unicorn" looks kinda hobbit-like, it turns out that Rankin/Bass ("The Hobbit" and "Return of the King" cartoons) did this film too! Check it out!<P><A HREF="http://null" TARGET=_blank>http://www.cedmagic.com/featured/tolkien/rotk-1-4054-break-free-2.jpg</A>
Old 02-13-2002, 05:02 PM   #24
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

<P>Sorry, I goofed above. Hopefully this will work. Compare Schmendrick's face to Sam and Frodo's faces.<P>And here's one more reason not to like the LotR caroon by Bakshi: <BR>He's got no foot fur! I mean, come on, that's an essential part of being a hobbit!
Old 02-14-2002, 12:46 AM   #25
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Rosa Underhill:<BR><STRONG>Why do hobbits always have afros in the cartoons?...<P>Oh, I figured it out! If anyone else thinks Schmendrick from "The Last Unicorn" looks kinda hobbit-like, it turns out that Rankin/Bass ("The Hobbit" and "Return of the King" cartoons) did this film too!]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>We're both right Rosa. Raskin/Bass did the voice and script work, and the Japanse studio Topcraft did the actual animation. By the 80's it was far cheaper to ship the animation jobs overseas. I'm betting the Hobbit and RoTK were given the same treatment. <P>Credit (or blame) where credit is due.<P>As for Disney and LOTR; don't even mention that in my hearing. I still haven't forgiven Disney for what they did to <I>The Jungle Book</I>!
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 12:48 AM   #26
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Rosa Underhill:<BR><STRONG>Why do hobbits always have afros in the cartoons?...</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>'Cause it was 1978! We ALL had afros back then!
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 03:07 AM   #27
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Y'know, I'm trying to envision an non-existent being with an afro and it just isn't working... (I was born in the eighties! Woo, pink, spikey hair and apandex for everyone! *shudder*)<P>Well, I think the Japanese company did a good job, at least with character design. I loved the look of the films, even the LotR cartoon to a small extent (though that one was a different company, I think).
Old 02-16-2002, 07:19 PM   #28
NotHomeYet
Pile O'Bones

NotHomeYet has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought "The Hobbit" was disasterous, especially their portrayal of Thranduil. He sounded like a Nazi talking into a Styrofoam cup. And Smaug sounded disturbingly like the latter title character from "Beauty and the Beast". I gotta admit, the theme song was catchy, though.
Is the gloom and despair
Too many would be prophets
Saying it's the end of it all
'Cause Mother Earth can't take much more
The skies are gonna fall
So nature has its needs
That's a lesson learned
But it appears to me
There are greater concerns
'Cause we can save the planet
Thinking we will somehow survive
But Father Time is calling us
To save somebody's life

So I won't bend and I won't break
I won't water down my faith
I won't compromise in a world of desperation
What has been, I cannot change
For tomorrow and today
I must be a light to future generations

--- 4HIM
NotHomeYet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 08:13 PM   #29
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Oh Lord! I nearly fainted laughing soo hard!! Elves 3 F-stops to exposed, Use-all-the-instruments-in-the-orchestra-or-else. The hobbits have no cute foot fuzz!!! No! Poor Frodo, if all Sam did was whistle when Frodo was in trouble they should have ditched him in Rivendell! Was it me, or do the hobbits have straight hair?? I ahve never seen the cartoon and DO NOT want to. Crazy-looking Balrog. The slowest orc Haha.
Old 05-03-2002, 09:55 PM   #30
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

At the risk of sounding ignorant, what <I>is</I> an F-stop?
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 02:33 PM   #31
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

At the risk of sounding even stupider, an F-stop is a degree of exposure on a camera. the higher the F-stop, the brighter and/or more washed-out an object looks. Did you see the picture of Legolas?? EWWWWWW!!! <BR> Don't tell me, in the picture above, Sam is the one with the humongous nose. PJ did a lot better. Hobbits are supposed to be cute, not frightningly ugly. Sure, we're not much to look upon, but we're not that ugly!!
Old 05-04-2002, 02:34 PM   #32
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

At the risk of sounding even stupider, an F-stop is a degree of exposure on a camera. the higher the F-stop, the brighter and/or more washed-out an object looks. Did you see the picture of Legolas?? EWWWWWW!!! <BR> Don't tell me, in the picture above, Sam is the one with the humongous nose. PJ did a lot better. Hobbits are supposed to be cute, not frightningly ugly. Sure, we're not much to look upon, but we're not that ugly!!
Old 05-05-2002, 09:14 AM   #33
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

those cartoons are so stupid that it's funny!<BR>