The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2021, 06:29 PM   #10601
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
3. VALIER, from V + a liar

EDIT:

1. FEANOR, from an anagram of "no fear"? Though it seems that the clue is talking about more than one person.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 01-26-2021 at 06:41 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:53 AM   #10602
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
3. VALIER, from V + a liar
Precisely.

Quote:
1. FEANOR, from an anagram of "no fear"? Though it seems that the clue is talking about more than one person.
Feanor is the solution to the 'no fear about' part, but there's still more clue to go.

1. - Local stars: a misspelling of no fear about the mostly-doomed lot.
2. - Take one step, and note there a crunchy meat product; you might need some help.
VALIER - The fifth Roman, a liar? Not quite, but the queens might show up.
4. - Step forward, pick a sense, aim it at the henge: not Pippin's.
5. - Do not proceed through him - the repeat and three beforehand are gone! Try looking underground.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:44 AM   #10603
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Trying to make anything of "Centauri", or "Sirius" or "Milky Way" wasn't working. So, going backwards, if sounds like there are [local stars] of Feanor, which only gives so many options. It's hit or miss from here, but I found out we have a nearby star system called Ross, which almost anagrams to SONS OF FEANOR?
Old 01-27-2021, 10:12 AM   #10604
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Trying to make anything of "Centauri", or "Sirius" or "Milky Way" wasn't working. So, going backwards, if sounds like there are [local stars] of Feanor, which only gives so many options. It's hit or miss from here, but I found out we have a nearby star system called Ross, which almost anagrams to SONS OF FEANOR?
I know it's winter, but I like to think our local star is still visible at least sometimes... yep, suns - er, sons - of Feanor it is, the whole mostly-doomed lot of 'em.

SONS OF FEANOR - Local stars: a misspelling of no fear about the mostly-doomed lot.
2. - Take one step, and note there a crunchy meat product; you might need some help.
4. - Step forward, pick a sense, aim it at the henge: not Pippin's.
5. - Do not proceed through him - the repeat and three beforehand are gone! Try looking underground.

hS
Old 01-27-2021, 11:34 AM   #10605
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
I know it's winter, but I like to think our local star is still visible at least sometimes... yep, suns - er, sons - of Feanor it is, the whole mostly-doomed lot of 'em.
This makes me feel really stupid.

SEVEN for password?
Old 01-27-2021, 02:20 PM   #10606
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
This makes me feel really stupid.
:-/ Sorry. In your defence, it's the Password thread - we've all had 'can't see the wood for the Ents' moments before.

Quote:
SEVEN for password?
Yep!

SONS OF FEANOR - Local stars: a misspelling of no fear about the mostly-doomed lot.
2. ?E - Take one step, and note there a crunchy meat product; you might need some help.
4. ?E - Step forward, pick a sense, aim it at the henge: not Pippin's.
5. N - Do not proceed through him - the repeat and three beforehand are gone! Try looking underground.

Spoilers: none of the answers are Swans a'Swimmin'.

hS
Old 01-27-2021, 03:35 PM   #10607
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

4. SEEING STONE? Not sure about the first part, but then you add a "Stone"-henge, and it's certainly not Pippin's to look into.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:55 PM   #10608
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
4. SEEING STONE? Not sure about the first part, but then you add a "Stone"-henge, and it's certainly not Pippin's to look into.
And seeing is a sense.

You are doing fab. I feel quite dim!
Old 01-27-2021, 05:14 PM   #10609
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
And seeing is a sense.
Oh! That kind of sense! And not the kind I clearly don't have.

I am at loss for the other two. Even trying to work backwards - despite the bountiful sets of seven, still it's a limited number of possibilities, there are only so many things this can be!
Old 01-27-2021, 05:18 PM   #10610
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Quote:
And seeing is a sense.

You are doing fab. I feel quite dim!
Exactly this; nice team effort! 'Step forward' was just to point at the second letter, because sevens don't like vowels much.

2. ?E - Take one step, and note there a crunchy meat product; you might need some help.
SEEING STONE - Step forward, pick a sense, aim it at the henge: not Pippin's.
5. N - Do not proceed through him - the repeat and three beforehand are gone! Try looking underground.

#2 is relatively easy (what meat is crunchy?), #5 is a fairly obscure term for the answer (I suggest starting from the straight clue at the end).

hS
Old 01-27-2021, 08:20 PM   #10611
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I am running out of legitimate ideas, I'm starting to spin in circles of silliness. For instance:

Quote:
#2 is relatively easy (what meat is crunchy?)
Is it sweet? Is it juicy? Is it scrumptiously crunchable? Is it dried or deep fried meat? No-ssss, my precious. It is Smeagol's seven teeth, before he lost the one just before he told Bilbo he had sixssss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
#5 is a fairly obscure term for the answer (I suggest starting from the straight clue at the end).
Underground makes me think of the seven Dwarven Houses and Rings, but while several Dwarf-related terms start with N there isn't one I can think of that is just seven.

So what 7 does start with N? Well, the 7 unnamed Nazgul, of course! That is, unless you count Tar-Telperien.

Pervinca, I think you better take a turn now, Gollum's seventh tooth is not good for the sanity.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:32 AM   #10612
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Is it sweet? Is it juicy? Is it scrumptiously crunchable? Is it dried or deep fried meat? No-ssss, my precious. It is Smeagol's seven teeth, before he lost the one just before he told Bilbo he had sixssss.
I know I said you might need some help, but I didn't think I meant 'in retaining your sanity'.

Quote:
Underground makes me think of the seven Dwarven Houses and Rings, but while several Dwarf-related terms start with N there isn't one I can think of that is just seven.
At one point, there were simply just seven dwarves. (It's a little-known fact that 'Durin', in Khuzdul, translates as 'grumpy'.)

hS
Old 01-28-2021, 11:24 AM   #10613
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

For the last one, I had a thought that the initial phrase can be comically rephrased as NO GO, which actually gave results: NOGOTHRIM is a name for Dwarves. However, Enc of Arda says this is a term for all Dwarves, not for the Seven Fathers or Seven Houses. Watch this be something like Nogothatari.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:31 PM   #10614
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
For the last one, I had a thought that the initial phrase can be comically rephrased as NO GO, which actually gave results: NOGOTHRIM is a name for Dwarves. However, Enc of Arda says this is a term for all Dwarves, not for the Seven Fathers or Seven Houses. Watch this be something like Nogothatari.
N is not an easy letter. I justify it on the grounds that at one point, 'Nogothrim' (no + go + throughhim - [double H and the three letters before it]) did indeed only refer to seven people.

NOGOTHRIM - Do not proceed through him - the repeat and three beforehand are gone! Try looking underground.

hS
Old 01-29-2021, 02:21 PM   #10615
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Ok, I might actually need some help. Pervinca, I don't know if you have any ideas for the last one, but I'm dry.
Old 01-30-2021, 03:57 PM   #10616
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Ok, I might actually need some help. Pervinca, I don't know if you have any ideas for the last one, but I'm dry.
Crunchy meat, though ... what could it be apart from biltong or jerky? Bacon? Crackling? Pork scratchings?
Old 01-30-2021, 04:02 PM   #10617
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Crunchy meat, though ... what could it be apart from biltong or jerky? Bacon? Crackling? Pork scratchings?
It is indeed one of those three. And it's only barely different from the answer to the clue

hS
Old 01-31-2021, 09:59 AM   #10618
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Is the step part ranga? I have been playing about with that and crackling and getting nowhere but can’t tet it out of thick skull

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:20 AM   #10619
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Pervinca, you're brilliant!

BEACON, from bacon + the note E. The seven beacons along Gondor's northern border.

Mith - ranga? I confess to being confused. But great to see you back here!
Old 01-31-2021, 10:33 AM   #10620
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Waves at beloved but neglected cub. I am currently furloughed so have a bit more time. A ranga if I remember aright is a Numenorean stride and unit of measurement . But clearly way off track

Old 01-31-2021, 01:15 PM   #10621
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Beacons! Of course! They didn't even occur to me, I must confess.

A brilliant clue, as well.
Old 01-31-2021, 04:19 PM   #10622
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Pervinca, you're brilliant!

BEACON, from bacon + the note E. The seven beacons along Gondor's northern border.
And the beacons of Gondor it is. I had to count the list three times to be sure there were seven...

BEACON - Take one step, and note there a crunchy meat product; you might need some help.
NOGOTHRIM - Do not proceed through him - the repeat and three beforehand are gone! Try looking underground.

And done! Over to... you, I think? I don't even remember any more, I'm really worn out.

hS
Old 01-31-2021, 04:54 PM   #10623
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
And the beacons of Gondor it is. I had to count the list three times to be sure there were seven...
Not the typical set of seven you'd expect - turned out to be quite the challenge to solve, but makes all the sense in the world once teamwork got us there. Great password!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Waves at beloved but neglected cub. I am currently furloughed so have a bit more time. A ranga if I remember aright is a Numenorean stride and unit of measurement . But clearly way off track
Way above my head. If anyone ever makes a clue where "step" is a Numenorian equivalent of "foot" or something, and not an indication of letter placement, it would be a seriously devious clue.

But hey, stick around and do some more of these!

1. "Choose a fair more!" - you hear from the corners of the world.
2. Pinnacle organ on the far side is a cause for quarrel.
3. Sits across two drinks, skips two starts, and skipped on the greatest start.
4. They party at night, like in most Rolls-Royce incidents.
5. Ford ran threads, but note difference when they tangled.
6. Measure money or weight, but do so thrice!
7. Tower alternatively compares to the sea, it seems.
8. A king in reverse is an element mixed with itself.
9. There you may hear a confused cheer.
10. Dying's son, by the sound of it.
11. Not a car sound, nor the music, but the site of a stronghold.
12. Step up! The gutsy insects grew enormous!
13. Sphere in the middle of a messed up plan and a broken off tiara.
14. Note riders exchange directions with reluctant riders.
15. Comes after the initial entrance into the city.
Old 01-31-2021, 04:58 PM   #10624
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Yes but I didn’t get the step in things. I dismissed beacons as it didn’t begin with E

Old 02-01-2021, 07:36 AM   #10625
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

13 is PALANTIR, I think. Spherical, has PLAN messed up and has TIARA with the last letter broken off.

9. ERECH is CHEER confused, but without needing to be heard to account for different spelling - does Aragorn hear the Oathbreakers here?

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 02-01-2021 at 03:07 PM.
Pervinca Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:44 AM   #10626
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Yes and yes. The hear part of cheer was not a sound-alike, just a way to inttoduce the cheer (what else do you do with it but hear it? You don't "find" it...)

5. Ford ran threads, but note difference when they tangled.
7. Tower alternatively compares to the sea, it seems.
9. ERECH: There you may hear a confused cheer.
13. PALANTIR: Sphere in the middle of a messed up plan and a broken off tiara.

Hey, look at me, finally learning to pre-highlight on the comouter so I can input this nicely on the phone!
Old 02-01-2021, 03:11 PM   #10627
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

8. NAIN? IN reversed (or not) plus NA for sodium?

And well done with the pre-highlighting!
Old 02-01-2021, 03:58 PM   #10628
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
8. NAIN? IN reversed (or not) plus NA for sodium?
No. Wrong element.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:06 PM   #10629
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Judging by the lack of avalanches of answers, a hint or two may be in order. I don't know if the clues turned out to be more difficult than I anticiated, but most of them I think are pretty classic. Some may be hard to get initially but will fall like dominoes once you determine the theme. A general warning for this password that some lines do not have both straight and cryptic components, but the theme kind of provides the missing element. Also, not all answers have the password letter at the beginning, and I tried to indicate that as well. I think that 4, 5, 7, and 10 are probably the easiest, and are good places to start with.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:12 AM   #10630
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

5. Sarn Athrad.

Anagram with a note change, and a Ford.

7. Orthanc.

Or + than + c. A tower.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 02-04-2021 at 02:17 AM.
Old 02-04-2021, 04:13 AM   #10631
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Yes and yes again!

5. SARN ATHRAD: Ford ran threads, but note difference when they tangled.
7. ORTHANC: Tower alternatively compares to the sea, it seems.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:07 AM   #10632
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Is 11 ANGBAND? Not quite bang, band for music ... I'll get me coat ....
Old 02-04-2021, 07:37 AM   #10633
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Is 11 ANGBAND? Not quite bang, band for music ... I'll get me coat ....
Not Angband for that one.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:27 AM   #10634
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Could 3 be BRANDYWINE BRIDGE? It sits over 2 drinks, cryptically speaking.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 02-04-2021 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:32 AM   #10635
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Could 3 be BRANDYWINE BRIDGE? It's sits over 2 drinks, cryptically speaking.
It is! And it was skipped over on the start of the hobbits' journey. But you want a different name for it.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:37 AM   #10636
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

From Tolkien Gateway:

'In*Sindarin, the name of the bridge was*i Varanduiniant.*i*is the singular definite article "the", which causes the initial*b-*in*Baranduin*to take the*lenited*form*v-*(i.e.,*Varanduin); the final element*iant*means "bridge".'

Or Bridge of Stonebows, or Great Bridge?

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 02-04-2021 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:32 PM   #10637
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

3. BRIDGE OF STONEBOWS: Sits across two drinks, skips two starts, and skipped on the greatest start.
5. SARN ATHRAD: Ford ran threads, but note difference when they tangled.
7. ORTHANC: Tower alternatively compares to the sea, it seems.

Any ideas about the theme so far?
Old 02-04-2021, 01:10 PM   #10638
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

STONE as a theme? 'Sarn Athrad' means 'stony ford' and you have used the 'stony' name for the Brandywine Bridge. Isn't there a black stone at Erech, too?

Ohhhh ...

6. THREE FARTHING STONE.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 02-04-2021 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:07 PM   #10639
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Correct! The theme was actually inspired by Hui's last one. I got to the password SEVEN, and my first thought was how come there's no seven stars and seven stones. Later I figured out that it was Seeing Stone instead, and got the idea for this one.

THEME: STONE

3. BRIDGE OF STONEBOWS: Sits across two drinks, skips two starts, and skipped on the greatest start. (a stone bridge)
5. SARN ATHRAD: Ford ran threads, but note difference when they tangled. (stony ford)
6. THREE FARTHING STONE: Measure money or weight, but do so thrice! (well... it's a stone)
7. ORTHANC: Tower alternatively compares to the sea, it seems. (both a stone and a rock!)
9. ERECH: There you may hear a confused cheer. (Stone of Erech, brought by Isildur)
13. PALANTIR: Sphere in the middle of a messed up plan and a broken off tiara. (seeing stone)

Last edited by Galadriel55; 02-04-2021 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Added parentheses
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:02 PM   #10640
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Wonder if 12 could be GIANTS or STONE GIANTS.

It has 'ants' in it.