The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-29-2003, 09:15 PM   #1
annuncolloion
Pile O'Bones

annuncolloion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Thorongil - What's in it?

As we all know Aragorn had a plethora of names. Twelve in all. I had a question about one of them, Thorongil. The one Aragorn used when he served in the Gondorian army. Does anyone know what that means or the epistomology of it. Thanks
Old 04-29-2003, 10:27 PM   #2
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It means the Eagle of the Star. Thoron-, like in Thorondor, means 'eagle.' gil, like in Gil-galad, means 'star.'
Old 04-29-2003, 10:30 PM   #3
Cazoz
Haunting Spirit

Cazoz has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This is from the Encyclopaedia of Arda:

Quote:
'The Eagle of the Star', an alias taken by Aragorn in his youth, when he journeyed to Rohan and Gondor and performed services to their lords.
Why he chose the name and what it is actually referring to is up for debate, I guess. Personally, I think he chose the name because it was in line with the Elven names used in Numenor before they became obsessed with mortality. Thus, a reference to Numenor (his past and essentially future) and somewhat ironic and tongue-in-cheek as he used it in Minas Tirith with the Steward, considering he would eventually replace the position!

The complicated and rather mythical meaning which was in all likelihood known to few, was probably also good for his mysterious persona; a wise man (metaphorically from the West) who did great things and asked for nothing, and revealed little about himself.
Cazoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 01:35 AM   #4
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynė

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Well met, annuncollion!

I don't want to be horribly picky, but, epistemology is a branch of philosophy that deals with knowledge, the foundations and limits of the human understanding.

I think you meant etymology which deals with the history and evolution of words. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 08:43 AM   #5
Morwen Tindomerel
Wight

Morwen Tindomerel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Personally I'm always confusing Etymology with Entymology, the study of bugs! Spelling is not my strong suit [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Morwen Tindomerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 03:43 PM   #6
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Bruce MacCulloch has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Bruce MacCulloch
Ring

Quote:
I think you meant etymology which deals with the history and evolution of words.
Actually, to be more precise, the field of study here is onomastics, the the science or study of the origin and forms of proper names of persons or places. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-30-2003, 09:33 PM   #7
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynė

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Yes, but onomastics is hardly a word that's easily confused with epistemology. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Which is why I thought we were probably referring to etymology, which while maybe not the most specific technical term, is a lot closer than the study of human understanding. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote