The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-05-2003, 09:42 PM   #1
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

kittiewhirl1677 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiewhirl1677
Sting What's your favorite line?

The title says it all. What's your favorite line? What lines do you think are strongest and most effective in the movie? What lines do you actually use in real life, or suggest that other people use?<P>Me:<P>Why do you lay these troubles on an already troubled mind?- for the time when my teachers give me too much homework.<P>I also really like this part: <BR>Frodo says, "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had ever happened."<BR>Gandalf says, "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."<P>What are your opinions?
Old 04-05-2003, 10:00 PM   #2
OddEvenstar
Pile O'Bones

OddEvenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to OddEvenstar
Silmaril

I think the books and the movies are FULL of almost <i>inspirational</i> quotes. One of my favs from the movie, <i>The Two Towers</i>, was this cute one:<P>Frodo: I am Frodo Baggins, and this is Samwise Gamgee. <BR>Faramir: Your bodyguard? <BR>Sam: His gardener.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:28 PM   #3
Lily Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lily Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I absolutely love the line:<BR>(FotR, Amon Hen)<BR>Sam: I made a promise, Mr. Frodo, a promise: 'Don't you lose him Samwise Gamgee.' And I don't mean to. I don't mean to.<BR>******<BR>That was truly beautiful. Touching even.<BR>It just makes me want to cry. Sam's so cool.<P>I also like the looks on those hobbits' faces when Bilbo says:<BR>"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
Old 04-06-2003, 05:57 AM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

After Theoden's "where is the horse and the rider" speech he says "how did it come to this?"<BR>i like the way he says it.<P>Oh and does anyone know the line Elrond says... um... wait a sec...<P>ok:<P>"Whether by the sword or the slow decay of time Aragorn will die, and there will be no comfort for you.<BR>But you, my daughter, you will linger on in darkness and in doubt. ____________. Here you will dwell, under the fading trees, until all the long years of your life are utterly spent."<P>Can someone please fill in the blank sentence for me?
Old 04-06-2003, 06:24 AM   #5
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Found the script... managed to miss out half of that speech...<P>___ = As night falling until it comes without a star.<P>Thats what I was looking for
Old 04-06-2003, 09:55 AM   #6
Elotareth
Animated Skeleton

Elotareth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know this has already been discussed to pieces, but the poem that begins<BR>"Where are the Horse and the Rider?" is really powerful as spoken by Theoden.<BR>It really annoying. Every time I come to a thread like this, I can never think of my favorite lines/scenes etc. <BR>If I can think of them, I'll post more later.
Matthew 28:20
"Renewed shall be blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king"
Elotareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 08:33 PM   #7
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Yeah. Some people, that are COMPLETELY obsessed with the trilogy say that every line in every LOTR movie and book is absolutely perfect, and every is their favorite. I haven't met a person like that, and I really don't want to... though I probably will here, since B-W is a LOTR site...
Old 04-06-2003, 09:32 PM   #8
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>the dark shadow decended like a falling cloud and behold it was a winged creature, if bird then greater than all other birds and it was naked, neither quill nor feather did it bear its wings were as webs of hide between horned fingers and it stank <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I like this because it is amazingly descriptive, you can almost see it in front of you as you read. This is good stuff.
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 12:17 AM   #9
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

Some of my favorites are:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to. " -Gandalf, FOTR<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>'If you don't let me in, Frodo, I shall blow your door right down your hole and out through the hill.' - Gandalf, FOTR<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>'Come in! Come in! I thought it was Lobelia.'<BR>'Then I forgive you. But I saw her sometime ago, driving a pony-trap towards Bywater with a face that would have curdled new milk.' -Frodo & Gandalf, FOTR<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"How long have you been eavesdropping?<P>"Eavesdropping, sir? I don't follow you, begging your pardon. There ain't no eaves at Bag End, and that's a fact!" -Gandalf and Samwise Gamgee, FOTR<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!" -Gandalf, FOTR<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"It is not despair, for despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt." -Gandalf, FOTR <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I am a servant of the Secret Fire,<BR>Wielder of the flame of Anor.<BR>Dark fire will not avail you, Flame of Udûn.<BR>Go back to the shadow!<BR>You shall not pass!!<BR>-Gandalf, FOTR<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>'Behold, I am not Gandalf the Grey, whom you betrayed. I am Gandalf the White, who has returned from death. You have no color now, and I cast you from the order and from the Council.' -Gandalf, TTT<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 04-07-2003, 04:22 AM   #10
Dunadun
Pile O'Bones

Dunadun has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Dunadun
Sting

My favorite is probably in Moria when Gandalf and Frodo are talking about Gollum.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"Many that live deseve death, and some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 04-07-2003, 06:52 AM   #11
Mordor_Queen
Haunting Spirit

Mordor_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

"frodo its your sam!" its really sad it made me cry! and gimli saying "you could of picked a better spot!" that was funny!
Old 04-07-2003, 06:53 AM   #12
Mordor_Queen
Haunting Spirit

Mordor_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

wots happening?in my profile it says haunting spirit and now it says animated skeleton!
Old 04-07-2003, 09:38 AM   #13
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Just about any Boromir line is a favorite.<P>"This is no mine; it's a tomb."<P>"Long has my father, the Steward of Gondor, held the forces of Mordor at bay. By the blood of our people are your lands kept safe."<P>And we can't forget:<P>"They have a cave troll...."<P>I may be mistaken, but hasn't this been discussed before?
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 07:27 PM   #14
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think the best line was-<P>Frodo:I'm going to Mordor alone, Sam.<BR>Sam:I know, and I'm going with you.<P>~Burzdol~
Old 04-07-2003, 07:42 PM   #15
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> And we can't forget:<P>"They have a cave troll...."<P> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I love this line too. It's the "oh goodie" expression on his face that makes it work so well.<P>H.C.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:30 PM   #16
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My favorite line in the Movies that isn't in the books is not inspirational at all, just fun:<P>Legolas to Aragorn: You look terrible.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:50 PM   #17
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>It's the "oh goodie" expression on his face that makes it work so well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>My sentiments exactly. I and my companions laughed despite the tense situation in which it was uttered.
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 05:25 AM   #18
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Looks left<BR>Looks right<BR>Eyes get very wide<BR>"We tell him to go away-- and away he goes! Free! Free! I'm free!"<P>Another:<BR>"I want to help him, Sam."<P>Another:<BR>"Why dost thee cry, Smeagol? Because cruel men hurts us; Master betrays us." <P>Oh, there it all falls apart, and there it all hangs together; the pivotal moment in the entire quest. Mercy triumphs over judgement.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:20 PM   #19
Lily Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

I like the part in Moria where Merry & Pippin are talking:<P>Pip: Merry?<BR>Merry: What?<BR>Pip: I'm hungry.<P>I also liked:<BR>Ara: Gentlemen, we do not stop till nightfall.<BR>Pip: What about breakfast?<BR>Ara: We've already had it.<BR>Pip: We've had one, yes. What about 2nd breakfast?
Old 04-08-2003, 06:14 PM   #20
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Why do you lay these troubles on an already troubled mind?- for the time when my teachers give me too much homework.<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Maya! *puts hands on hips, stares accusingly*<BR>I was the one who gave you that idea! Just kiddin, I don't mind...
Old 04-08-2003, 06:16 PM   #21
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Yeah. Some people, that are COMPLETELY obsessed with the trilogy say that every line in every LOTR movie and book is absolutely perfect, and every is their favorite. I haven't met a person like that, and I really don't want to... though I probably will here, since B-W is a LOTR site... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Well, Maya, think back...hint: the last time you saw this person was this weekend...
Old 04-10-2003, 10:37 AM   #22
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>It's the "oh goodie" expression on his face that makes it work so well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Exactly! <P>My favorite has to be Pip talking to Treebeard:<P><I>"The closer we are to danger, the farther we are from harm. It'll be the last thing he expects."</I><P>
Old 04-10-2003, 01:33 PM   #23
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

"Rain may fall and wind may blow,<BR>And many miles be still to go,<BR>But under a tall tree I will lie,<BR>And let the clouds go sailing by."<P>"Do you know who I am? I'm Tom Bombadil. Tell me what's your trouble! Tom is in a hurry now. Don't you crush my lilies!"<P>"Well, I saw what I saw, and I saw what I didn't."<P>"'Maybe Mr. Baggins has an honest reason for leaving his name behind; but if so, I should advise him and his friends to be more careful.'<BR>'Mr Strider may have an honest reason for spying and eavesdropping; but if so, I should advise him to explain it.'"<P>"Said Tom: 'I don't see why the likes o' thee<BR>Without axin' leave should go makin' free<BR>With the shank or the shin o' my father's kin<BR>So hand the old bone over!<BR>Though dead he be, it belongs to he;<BR>So hand the old bone over!'"<P>"A lord of wisdom throned he sat,<BR>swift in anger; quick to laugh;<BR>an old man in a battered hat<BR>who leaned upon a thorny staff."<P>~ just some of my many favorites
Old 04-10-2003, 07:28 PM   #24
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
Sting

I really liked this line:<P>Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had ever happened."<P>Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."<P>Galadriel: "Even the smallest person can change the course of the future."<P>Frodo: "Remember what Bilbo used to say. It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't kick your feet, there's no telling where you'll be swept off to."<P>The Road Goes Ever On... great song!<P>Boromir explaning to Aragorn his worries and describing Minas Tirith. I just love that scene, portrays Boromir's personality perfectly.
Cibbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 07:29 PM   #25
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
Sting

Ack, I forgot one, the scene where Eowyn is practicing with her sword, and Aragorn comes up to her.
Cibbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 08:09 AM   #26
Iarhen
Wight

Iarhen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My fave line in FOTR:<P>Galadriel when tempted by the One Ring<BR>"In place of a Dark Lork you will have a Queen! Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the dawn! Treacherous as the sea! Stronger than the foundations of the earth! All shall love me and despair"<P>Surely, a creepy vision that would have made Sauron terrify...<P><BR>And in TTT:<P>Gandalf "I come back to you, at the turn of the tide"
Old 04-11-2003, 01:46 PM   #27
NinjaFerret
Animated Skeleton

NinjaFerret has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NinjaFerret
Sting

People! What about the ultimate comic relief??!!?!?!!<P>"Toss me!"<BR> - Gimli<P>
Old 04-13-2003, 08:20 AM   #28
gertauriel

Silmaril

In the Two towers Éomer says to Gimli something like this: "I'd cut your head off if it was just a little bit higher from the ground" (I don't remember exactly what he said, but you know what I mean, don't you)<BR>anyway, and then Legolas takes his bow, aims at Éomer and says: "You would die before your stroke fell!" that was absolutely the best line ever! *drawls to her keyboard* Okay, I admit, I'm totally obsessed with Legolas...
Old 04-13-2003, 12:55 PM   #29
Lily Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

I like when Gimli says-<P>"No one tosses a dwarf."<P>And I love when Legolas says-<P>"This is no mere Ranger. He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn. You owe him your allegience."<P>And lest we forget-<P>Aragorn: You cannot give me this!<BR>Arwen: It is mine to give to whom I will. Like my heart.
Old 04-13-2003, 05:17 PM   #30
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think everyone would agree that this was the best line in TTT.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR><B>Frodo</B>: I can't do this Sam!<P><B>Sam</B>: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end, because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back only they didn't. Because they were holding on to something.<P><B>Frodo</B>: What are we holding on to Sam?<P><B>Sam</B>: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo and it's worth fighting for.<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 04-14-2003, 12:35 AM   #31
Lucinda
Animated Skeleton

Lucinda has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I always loe the bit at the council of elrond, where Aragorns says<BR> "you have my sword" and Legolas and gimli follow with their bow and axe.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:01 AM   #32
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My favourite line is the <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> But you should be dead.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Spoken by Aragorn in Moria. I don't know the way he says it causes me to giggle alarmingly.
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:00 PM   #33
Aladriel Celebrian

Sting

I personaly liked the part when gollun was yelling at Sam. I can do his impression like perfectly.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:47 PM   #34
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My favourite line has to be, "They have a Cave Troll" The way he says it is HILARIOUS!
Old 04-14-2003, 08:04 PM   #35
Luinalatawen
Wight

Luinalatawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luinalatawen
Eye

Ha ha, Beruthiel, you're soooooo right, the way Sean says that line makes it stand out in a way.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:44 AM   #36
Faramir Fan
Haunting Spirit

Faramir Fan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

From the movie:<P>Boromir's advice to Frodo about not carrying around the weight of the dead (on the extended version of FOTR).<P>And in the Book and hopefully in the ROTK movie:<P>Denethor "Stir not the bitterness in the cup that I mixed for myself. Have not I tasted it now many nights upon my tongue, foreboding that worse yet lay in the dregs? As now indeed I find. Would it were not so! Would that this thing had come to me!"<P>...It just makes me want to take Faramir aside and say "Hey buddy, your father has completely lost it!!!"
"A new character has come on the scene (I am sure I did not invent him, I did not even want him, though I like him, but there he came walking into the woods of Ithilien): Faramir, the brother of Boromir..." J.R.R. Tolkien, Letters No. 66
Faramir Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 12:51 PM   #37
Finnguala
Wight

Finnguala has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"I amar prestar aen" <P>I love it. And the thing is: it's a fact. The world HAS changed...
Old 04-15-2003, 01:17 PM   #38
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Lol. That's funny. I amar prestar aen. Han mathon ne nae. Han mathon ne chae. Han mathon ne wilith. I<P>I think that's it, but I don't quite remember it. Correct me if I'm wrong. That is a great line, I agree.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:49 AM   #39
ladril

Pipe

I just love it when at the councel of elrond when pip said "so where we going?" the look frodo gives him out of the corner of his eye just kills me! and of course "they have a cave troll."and gimlis "toss me"! <I>null</I>
Old 04-16-2003, 01:22 PM   #40
Finnguala
Wight

Finnguala has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I think that's it, but I don't quite remember it. Correct me if I'm wrong. That is a great line, I agree. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <P>I amar prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. Ahan nostron ne wilith, if I'm right.