Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2008, 07:29 PM   #161
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hold your horses, Foley! I'm planning a post soon in which Eodwine lays out the activities to be accomplished for the day. Building the new hall is at least a week of game time away yet. There are more tents to raise, a smithy to build, and a latrine to repair, for starters. With no planting having been done on old Sorn's land, there's no crop to be tended or harvested, so hunting will be in order, and that might be tough. So there' plenty to do, and plenty of delays before stone-hauling comes into the picture. And let's not forget a humble party to well-wish Falco on his way back to the Shire.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:13 PM   #162
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Hold your horses, Foley! I'm planning a post soon in which Eodwine lays out the activities to be accomplished for the day. Building the new hall is at least a week of game time away yet. There are more tents to raise, a smithy to build, and a latrine to repair, for starters. With no planting having been done on old Sorn's land, there's no crop to be tended or harvested, so hunting will be in order, and that might be tough. So there' plenty to do, and plenty of delays before stone-hauling comes into the picture. And let's not forget a humble party to well-wish Falco on his way back to the Shire.
Oh. Oh, right. I knew stuff had to come first, really. I just had an idea and wanted to know if we were going to be hauling stones and if we'll be writing about the day that they do it...or one of the days that they do it. I didn't mean to sound impatient. Sorry.

I'm alright. And patient - sometimes.

-- Folwren
Old 04-28-2008, 03:56 AM   #163
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Oh. Oh, right. I knew stuff had to come first, really. I just had an idea and wanted to know if we were going to be hauling stones and if we'll be writing about the day that they do it...or one of the days that they do it. I didn't mean to sound impatient. Sorry.

I'm alright. And patient - sometimes.

-- Folwren
If folks want to write about the day stones are hauled from the scar, we can do that.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:55 AM   #164
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggydog View Post
Nogrod, Thinlomien, I PMed you regarding a character idea I have, but I think I should get your approval before I post. I can provide more detail if you want. Once you read my PM, just let me know if you need more information about my idea. Thanks
Oh, I'm so sorry no to have replied to you. I've been too busy to concentrate on anything like that and I think Nogrod has been very busy too. I'll call him today and we'll negotiate about it, and then one of us can PM you back. I hope we'll get this settled soon so you can join in.

As for my own writing... hmh. We'll see when I have time. Unfortunately I have two other RPGs I should write to, and possibly a third other RGP too... I don't know what on earth I was thinking when signing in to so many. Anyway, I'll write them in some sort of order of urgency or based on which RPGs I haven't written to for a long time... but eventually I will write here. I really want to continue these interesting new things in the more "feminine side" plotline of the Mead Hall , meet the newcomers and continue on what I and Noggie have been writing about lately...

Last edited by Thinlómien; 04-29-2008 at 02:44 AM. Reason: typos
Old 04-29-2008, 02:43 AM   #165
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Yay, I posted. I had the two lads bump into Eönwë's character. Hope everything I wrote about Dan is alright with you, Eönwë? If not, I can always edit...

And by the way, it was not mentioned in my post, but as Leodern is not with Modtryth or the boys, I guess she's in the kitchen with Ginna and other women.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:01 AM   #166
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I hope to get a post up today in which Eodwine will answer Stigend and also lay out for everyone what will be done this Day.

One thing I think will be necessary is a discussion right here on this thread laying out a schedule of what must be, can be, and is likely to be, achieved in Scarburg before the winter snows begin to fall..... assuming that in this Gallic climate zone, snows fall at all?
Old 04-29-2008, 09:33 AM   #167
shaggydog
Animated Skeleton

shaggydog has just left Hobbiton.
Bio for new character "Oeric"

Here is my very brief bio for my character. It's brief but will be expanded upon through the IC thread as we go along.

NAME: Oeric
RACE: human
WHERE FROM: Rohan, around the Scarburg area
APPEARANCE: tall, medium build, longish blonde-brown hair, green eyes, wears what might be called peasant or farmer type garb
BITS OF CHARACTER/HISTORY YOU FEEL MIGHT BE HELPFUL IN DEFINING THE CHARACTER: born and raised as a peasant/farmer on what was Sorn’s family’s lands. As an adult has been tending sheep in a small “community” on the far outskirts of those lands. Is presently in the vicinity of the old, now burnt down, hall.

Thanks to Firefoot, LMP, Nogrod and Thinlomien for your help!

----------------------------

LINKED ~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-01-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:39 PM   #168
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Welcome Shaggydog! I liked your writing in the RPG, I'm glad to see that you've joined.

I'll get a post in right away!
Old 04-29-2008, 01:50 PM   #169
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Shaggy, the wait was well worth it! I like everything you're tying in. Great start! Can't wait to see how this unfolds!
Old 04-30-2008, 08:52 AM   #170
shaggydog
Animated Skeleton

Thanks for the encouraging words Groin, LMP If anyone is interested in "sighting" Oeric feel free to PM me. I suppose sooner or later he will be discovered so we could plan that out. Otherwise, he'll just be hanging around, spying on the newcomers.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:55 AM   #171
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Name: Saeryn
Race: Human
Where from: Rohan.

Appearance: Tall, slim, fair of face. Auburn hair, bordering closer to red than brown. Hazel eyes.

Some Character and History: Saeryn is the second to youngest child of four. She is only older than her younger brother by a matter of minutes - they're twins. Her parents both died before she was 14. Her older brother, Fenrir, tried to make her act according to her noble birth, and presumably cooped her up in the house all day, stuck her in dresses, and expected her to act like a lady. How exactly he treated her is unknown, but when she was barely 18, she ran away from him and found her way to Edoras. There she remained, staying under Eodwine and working in his household, first accepting his protection, and then moving upward until she was his hostess, holding the position of 'Lady' as more of an apprenticeship than a betrothal or even courtship.
When people continued to question her on the point of marrying Eodwine, she eventually could not handle the strain and left for a short period. She came back, after the household had moved to Scarburg, and worked again in the house. She and Eodwine did, in fact, fall in love and married.
Saeryn had children within the first year of marriage. She bore twins - a girl and a boy.

Before marrying, she tended to be rather flighty. She always spoke exactly what came into her head, whether it be fitting or not. She never really hid her emotions. When she faced a trouble too big for her to overcome, she ran from it. After coming back to Eodwine the second time, she began to change. She grew more ladylike in her bearing and her speech, and she became stronger in the face of adversity.
Having children mellowed her even more, and she continues to become a wiser and more patient woman. Still, we shall see occasionally her old, fiery character, but on the whole, she has become quieter, stabler, calmer.

----------

Saeryn and Eodwine's children

NAME: Eoghan and Ruari

AGE/GENDER/RACE/WHERE FROM: Eoghan is a boy, and Ruari is a girl. They're about 5 years old. They were born at Scarburg, the son and daughter of Eodwine and Saeryn.

APPEARANCE: Being twins, Eoghan and Ruari are both somewhat small for their age. Eoghan has blond hair, as his father, but his eyes are hazel, like Saeryn's. Ruari was born with fiery red hair, and her eyes are green.

BITS OF CHARACTER/HISTORY YOU FEEL MIGHT BE HELPFUL IN DEFINING THE CHARACTER: Ruari was born first, and though an hour's difference in age wouldn't seem to account for much, it is clear she is the oldest. She takes the lead in the twins' activities, and Eoghan follows meekly behind doing almost everything she encourages him to do. Eoghan is quiet and passive and relatively well behaved when left to his own devices. Ruari is curious and active and prone to trouble. They are both intelligent and agile and capable children.

--------------------------

LINKED ~*~Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-28-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:56 AM   #172
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Alright. There is my attempt at Saeryn's character and history. Elempi, let me know if there are any glaring mistakes that I somehow made.

-- Foley
Old 04-30-2008, 11:56 AM   #173
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Great post, Folwren!

Quote:
Thanks for the encouraging words Groin, LMP If anyone is interested in "sighting" Oeric feel free to PM me. I suppose sooner or later he will be discovered so we could plan that out. Otherwise, he'll just be hanging around, spying on the newcomers.
Erbrand can spot your character, he's watching more than talking at the moment, but I'll have to get a post in soon, I'll be leaving in two days for a two week vacation.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:36 PM   #174
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Sorry to post again...I've posted a LOT today...

Thanks, Groin.

I wanted to say that I edited the end of my last post. I didn't think that dismounting and waiting was very good. Anyone who wishes to speak to Saeryn when she firsts arrives can write about her stopping her horse and getting down.

-- Folwren
Old 05-01-2008, 01:22 PM   #175
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'm just about to put my last post in before I leave. Remember, don't ask Erbrand any questions, because he won't be here to respond. I'll see ya'll in two weeks, have fun!
Old 05-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #176
shaggydog
Animated Skeleton

Guess I better run - fast!

Great post Groin! Enjoy your vacation
Old 05-01-2008, 04:57 PM   #177
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'll try to get in a post for one (or more) of my characters soon. Maybe tonight, more likely tomorrow.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:29 AM   #178
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

This is what I call action. Great. I hope I'll be able to post this weekend.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #179
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Whew! That was a bit of a rushed post - had to squeeze its writing into 15 minutes of my lunch. Anyway, I seem to have corralled a whole bunch of other writers' characters to my use. If I did less than adequately with anyone, just let me know and I'll fix.

I foresee a rather embarrassing re-introduction between the mud-covered Eodwine and the tired Saeryn.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #180
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
I foresee a rather embarrassing re-introduction between the mud-covered Eodwine and the tired Saeryn.
Yeeaah...that could be interesting. Do you want me to write next concerning it?
Old 05-03-2008, 06:54 AM   #181
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Feel free. I prefer not to double post, so if you have an idea, go with it. I'll be too busy to post until probably tomorrow.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:10 PM   #182
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I posted, but I didn't actually post with Eodwine coming back into the scene. Sorry. I guess at this point anyone can address her. I kind of figure someone will before Eodwine returns. But anything works for me.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:41 PM   #183
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I have edited the end of my latest post just slightly.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:11 AM   #184
shaggydog
Animated Skeleton

I tried to do a little research on marshes, bogs and fens. Can't say I know too much more than I did before I started. So I hope it's OK to have that reference to bogginess and getting stuck therein in my post? If not I can always take it out. Also, if it has qualities of a bog, the newcomers could cut peat as a fuel source, as there don't appear to be many trees around. Don't know if that was part of the culture of Rohan or not.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:40 PM   #185
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
I tried to do a little research on marshes, bogs and fens. Can't say I know too much more than I did before I started. So I hope it's OK to have that reference to bogginess and getting stuck therein in my post? If not I can always take it out. Also, if it has qualities of a bog, the newcomers could cut peat as a fuel source, as there don't appear to be many trees around. Don't know if that was part of the culture of Rohan or not.
If not part of the culture, it looks as if it soon must become! Man! I didn't realize those marshes had such deep pits in them! Yike! Don't change a thing. It just means that clearing, diking, and all that will be a more major project than originally anticipated. Eodwine will thank the King even more for his "luck", tongue firmly in cheek, of course.

I could post, but I want to allow others to do so again. Actually, I need Foley to post before I do so that Saeryn can say something back to Rowenna.

Or, Foley, is a PM-built post needed here?
Old 05-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #186
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
OK, I am very sorry, but I will not be able to post this week, until Friday at least.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:24 PM   #187
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
I could post, but I want to allow others to do so again. Actually, I need Foley to post before I do so that Saeryn can say something back to Rowenna.

Or, Foley, is a PM-built post needed here?
Whatever you think best. Perhaps a PM post is needed for when Eodwine and Saeryn meet. I'll try to post something about Saeryn talking to Rowenna today, though. Then we can do a PM post.

-- Folwren
Old 05-05-2008, 08:05 PM   #188
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
OK, I am very sorry, but I will not be able to post this week, until Friday at least.
Thanks for letting us know! That is grealty appreciated.

Quote:
Perhaps a PM post is needed for when Eodwine and Saeryn meet.
That depends on whether Eodwine is willing to speak with her in private, which could look strange in an out in the open tent-like setting such as this.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:44 PM   #189
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
That depends on whether Eodwine is willing to speak with her in private, which could look strange in an out in the open tent-like setting such as this.
Willing to? It'd have to be his call in the first place, because I don't think Saeryn is going to ask to be spoken with in private.

And I didn't write that post this evening, did I? I'll get up early tomorrow morning and do it....

-- Folwren
Old 05-06-2008, 06:36 AM   #190
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Eh...the post is kind of rough, I think. Sorry. But at least it's posted.

Elempi, tell me if I need to change Rowenna at all. (Or Saeryn, for that matter...heh...)

-- Folwren
Old 05-06-2008, 12:20 PM   #191
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Well, plans change, so here is my post!

edit (after post): I'm sorry if that post is boring and badly written, but there really is nothing for him to do yet, until he is either introduced or used as a tracker.

Last edited by Eönwë; 05-06-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:46 PM   #192
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Your post is fine, Eonwe. That Eodwine is just too busy! Sheesh!
Old 05-08-2008, 02:37 AM   #193
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I will post something for Modtryth today. I think I can make it all fit nicely.

And Eönwë - I had the two lads greet your character in my post #72. I'm afraid your character has to react to them in some way...
Old 05-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #194
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

A typical lommyistic RPG promise - one that didn't hold. I'll write something tomorrow.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:43 PM   #195
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
And Eönwë - I had the two lads greet your character in my post #72. I'm afraid your character has to react to them in some way...
Ooh! I'm sorry about that. I will edit it ASAP (which is probably tomorrow).
Old 05-08-2008, 10:21 PM   #196
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White-Hand

Please remember to remove your signatures from EVERY post to the Meadhall RPG thread.

~*~ Pio
Old 05-09-2008, 08:04 AM   #197
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'll try to get something in within the weekend, with Ginna asking the kitchen women stuff about Saeryn, and maybe ending with her serving Dan breakfast.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #198
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thanks Elempi for writing the latest - I was slightly unsure what Modtryth should do and you solved it for me. Now I'll write it from her perspective and make her reply Javan first, of course.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:23 PM   #199
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I wrote a post and it ended up being longer than I expected. Well, I guess that's not bad. I had some problems with deciding which tense I should use as I'm going back for a while and thought using past simple might be slightly confusing. I ended up switching the tense rather unelegantly in the middle. If you have suggestions how to make it better, please share...
Old 05-10-2008, 11:43 AM   #200
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

You're welcome, Lommy. I was a little concerned about so flagrantly taking control of your character, but it seems to have worked out for the best. Good.

I've quit coming to the Barrowdowns three times a day; now it's only once a day, if that. This has served to greatly (but not completely) reduce my frustration at the slow pace of posting at this and my other 3 rpg commitments. Hard to believe that not a one of them has as yet concluded, and I gave my announcement of leaving, what, two months ago? It's as if you're all trying to keep my around! Be warned - if posting doesn't start picking up its pace to some degree, I'll start killing off some of my characters.

EDIT: Well! Three posts since I last looked. Nice going, friends! Perhaps my above words were after all unnecessary.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 05-10-2008 at 11:51 AM.