The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #3761
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorthelion View Post
I have read The Hobbit, The Silmarillion and the lord of the rings. I hope to read HOME some day.

Glorthelion.
Adding to the welcome. Always good to have a keen balrog-slayer around

I suggest you read Unfinished Tales next. It provides some fascinating extra stuff to complement what you have already read. It will also ease you in to the "edited drafts and fragments" format which you will find on a grander scale in HoME. And IMO some of the later volumes of HoME are much more approachable than the early ones. Don't feel obliged to start at the beginning! The ones which concern LOTR are perhaps more user friendly...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #3762
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Welcome Glorthelion. This is certain the place to exercise your enthusiasm for Tolkien once you've hit the books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I suggest you read Unfinished Tales next. It provides some fascinating extra stuff to complement what you have already read. It will also ease you in to the "edited drafts and fragments" format which you will find on a grander scale in HoME. And IMO some of the later volumes of HoME are much more approachable than the early ones. Don't feel obliged to start at the beginning! The ones which concern LOTR are perhaps more user friendly...
Well, I'm going to have to take a slightly different direction than Mithalwen, who offers good advice about UT. The later HoMes are helpful for resources but as someone who just recently turned to the first two volumes, Book of Lost Tales I and II, I have to say that I am entranced by Tolkien's storytelling. Which is to say that skipping all the commentary doesn't do any harm.

On the other hand, you could just read all the threads here and jump into the discussions.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #3763
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
On the other hand, you could just read all the threads here and jump into the discussions.
Well said. You learn all the important HOME information faster by posting and reading here than by reading HOME. I'm completely serious!
Old 05-24-2012, 02:32 AM   #3764
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Certainly faster than I did when I really struggled with the books of lost tales as a teenager ..must try again..

Old 05-24-2012, 04:23 AM   #3765
Glorthelion
Haunting Spirit

Glorthelion has just left Hobbiton.
Would the letters of Tolkien be more interesting?

Glorthelion

Damn Gulf
Glorthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #3766
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

More interesting than UT? Different. But certainly fascinating and very readable.

I would say that UT gives extra information nn things that fit fairly easily with the main stories as published in The Silmarilllion, Hobbit and LOTR. You get more information about Numenor, The wizards, the Battles of the Fords of Isen where Theoden's son, was killed, the Palantiri, Gandalf's meeting with Thorin, Isildur's death. I love it since I love the world of Middle Earth as shown in the main texts.

The letters by their nature give some fascinating snippets when he answers specific questions from readers and also give an insight into his personality and life. Read both!!! Both can be dipped into. It may be helpful to read the Humphrey Carpenter biography too since he edited the letters and the letters are in chronological order. I happen to have read the bio ages ago and the letters relatively recently and I think having read the biography made the letters more interesting since you knew a bit aboout the correspondents.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 05-24-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #3767
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Aye, the Letters are interesting in not only providing some commentary from Tolkien, post-LOTR, but just thoughts about world affairs, other books, authors...etc.

I caution when using Letters to determine some new, hidden information about Tolkien's story, though. Tolkien admits when responding to fans' questions, a lot of what he wrote could have been as long as 30-40 years ago, so he may misremember something, or what he consciously reflects upon after having written the story might be completely different. That's not so much of a problem with Letters, more a note-to-self when reading them. Personally, I find the stuff in Letters more interesting then reading his early draft material, but that's just individual preference.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #3768
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
*lurking* hello all....it's been awhile
Old 06-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #3769
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The Return of Valier! Welcome back!
Old 06-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #3770
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
thanks Galadriel Im debating on weither I should make a grand return
Old 06-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #3771
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Squeeee!

Go for the grand return... you know you want to...

Old 07-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #3772
crescendo.
Animated Skeleton

crescendo. has just left Hobbiton.
crescendo.

Hello, I'm crescendo., yes the period is there on purpose. I am MCRmyGirl4eva's older and wiser sister. I thoroughly love the Lord Of The Rings series as movies and enjoyed the books, though my sister tried to get me to read TTT's first, but I have this thing where I jsut can't pick up something in the middle. It may have to do with the fact that my dad made me read the second Harry Potter book first. Anyway, I think I am rambling.
Erm.. let's see... I am going to college in the fall and getting a degree in creative writing, and I adore Glee with a passion... sorry folks, I love it more than I love LOTR.
I listen to a lot of music and my favorite bands are Evanescence, My Chemical Romance, Avenged Sevenfold, Halestorm, Nightwish, and a lot more.
If you have an questions for me, just ask.
- Chris Colfer
crescendo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #3773
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Welcome, crescendo.! Always happy to have more dead wightsies around!

I'm waiting for my younger siblings to learn how to use the internet to help them through the process of making their accounts here - but I don't know how likely that will be, seeing as my brother, who looked over my shoulder at the screen a couple hours ago, greeted me with the words "not that stupid old Tolkienited website AGAIN!" ...So I'm really happy that not all Downer siblings are of that attitude.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #3774
crescendo.
Animated Skeleton

This Is Mcr, Not Cres! (Or perhaps both)

(I hate that nickname, so unless someone comes up with better I'd prefer to be known as crescendo.)

It's not like I wanted her to join. I asked her not to. She joined nonetheless, because apparently nothing is sacred. So if any of you downers come accross an argument on the forums, just keep in mind that crescendo. and MCR must share a bedroom.

(Puh-lease, I've used your account a couple times before so I decided that I prefer to use my own. You broken the bounds of places being sacred before... i.e. my own site

Driel: May I call you that? Well, obviously your siblings don't have good taste in reading material... hopefully they will learn )
- Chris Colfer
Old 07-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #3775
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescendo. View Post
Driel: May I call you that? Well, obviously your siblings don't have good taste in reading material... hopefully they will learn )
Driel? This one's new! My nick is usually shortened to something like G55 or Gal55.

My siblings liked LOTR, and my sister even read The Hobbit. But they have a profound dislike for the Downs, because of things like this:

sibling: can you play with me?
me: no.
sibling: why? Are you busy?
me: mmmmm...
sibling: are you on that stupid old Tolkiennutted site again?!

Old 07-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #3776
crescendo.
Animated Skeleton

Lol! You never directly answered yes or no. Do you prefer on of the other ones?

Ahh makes sense, that's how I used to be with an MCR forum before all the good members left. *pouts* I miss them.
Ohh... maybe they will join just to annoy you... think about it!
- Chris Colfer
Old 07-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #3777
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Lol! You never directly answered yes or no. Do you prefer on of the other ones?
I guess I'm just more used to the other ones. It took me a few minutes to realize you're referring to me.

But that still doesn't give a yes or no answer. Beware that I'm the kind that rarely gives a yes or no answer for such questions...

I'd prefer one of the old ones, but I suppose I won't mind if you called me Driel.

Quote:
Ohh... maybe they will join just to annoy you... think about it!
But they don't have to join to do that!
Old 07-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #3778
crescendo.
Animated Skeleton

"It is also said, 'do not go to the elves for advice for they will say both yes and no'"
Maybe I will just call you Elf... or Octopus, lol!!

You could move out or whatever when you are older. -grins evilly-
- Chris Colfer
Old 07-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #3779
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White-Hand Welcome!

Welcome to the Downs, crescendo, and welcome back, Valier!
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #3780
Zigûr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Zigûr

Hello, call me Zigûr, which as I'm sure many of you know is Adûnaic for "the Wizard" and was a Númenórean name for Sauron. I've been lurking on these forums for a little while now, especially enjoying the excellent "Microphones in Middle-earth" thread. Professor Tolkien's work is one of the great passions in my life, having been introduced to it by my mother reading "An Unexpected Party" to me when I was ten years old, after which I enthusiastically devoured the rest of The Hobbit on my own, moved onto The Lord of the Rings and even attempted The Silmarillion, although it wasn't until several years later that I was old enough to understand it and read it properly. While many of my friends have read the books and are as familiar as everyone is these days with the films, I find that I don't really have anyone close at hand with which I can discuss the Professor's work in detail. Given this fact and that I have certain ponderances regarding Middle-earth and Arda as a whole I decided I would join the forum.
In addition to this, last year I completed my Honours degree in English with a thesis on The Lord of the Rings and am currently working on a Masters thesis examining the greater breadth of Professor Tolkien's work.
While I am, as I have said, a great enthusiast for the literary material I'm afraid I don't have much patience for the films, which to my mind make too many changes in terms of tone and style to The Lord of the Rings. I also lament their significant loss and questionable rearrangement of Professor Tolkien's language and rich, unique prose, which has always been one of the most attractive elements of the book to me.
Zigûr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #3781
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Welcome, Zigûr! Sounds like you'll be a great contributor here, and I look forward to seeing you around the threads.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #3782
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

MCRmyGirl4eva has just left Hobbiton.
If you listen very closely, you can hear the sound of stampeding feet as people clamor to this site as the opening day for The Hobbit approaches...

*hides in Legolas's bedroom*
*Gets dragged out by ankles*
L: "What are you doing in here?!?"
MCR: "I was just trimming the grass, under the window there, if you follow me..."
*Gets released in surprise at the comment*
*Runs like hell to avoid being killed*
Old 08-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #3783
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Welcome aboard, Zigur! With such an attitude towards the movies you'll find yourself quite at home here...
Old 08-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #3784
Ninde Lossehelin
Pile O'Bones

Ninde Lossehelin has just left Hobbiton.
Hi!! Ninde Lossehelin here.. i got that name when i put my real name in an elvish name generator.. so im not even sure what it means.. Please tell me if anyone know
Ninde Lossehelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:07 AM   #3785
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

It is a bit random. It is Quenya. Ninde means slender, losse is fallen snow and helin is a violet (flower).

Old 08-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #3786
Draugohtar
Pile O'Bones

Draugohtar has just left Hobbiton.
Yeylo all, doing things a tad backwards posting elsewhere before here, but a little jumble never hurt anyone I like to think!

Anyway Draugohtar is an old name I cobbled together for WoW of all things.

Thankfully that game is in my past now (though not MMO's entirely!) but the name is a constant for me.

(Otherwise call me Will - if you remember, well done you!)

Anyway I'm an old time Tolkien nut, and it's nice to have a place to come and lament the lack of speaking Eagles in the PJ-versions :P
Draugohtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:30 AM   #3787
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White-Hand Welcome you three!

Welcome to the Downs, Zigûr, Ninde Lossehelin and Draugohtar! Like Inziladun, I look forward to seeing you around.
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #3788
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Welcome, welcome to those newly dead.

Welcome also to Aridor, who hasn't found his way here yet but is our latest member. RotR produces its first new Downer.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #3789
VarTalman
Newly Deceased

VarTalman has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I am never here always adventuring off somewhere.

I am called VarTalman firstborn son of the Talman the Strong. I spent my childhood an outcast among the shorter peoples of Middle Earth. I felt not made for this world. I seemed stretched out of shape. I am considered wise and learned until I say something foolish. I do so enjoy the fine tales of Hobbit lore. I come here to share. My wife and our herds all listen intently to tales well told. I wield no weapon beyond my books. I study myth and religion. I am 34 years-a giant among men and weighing in at nearly 400 pounds. To others, I may seem frightening. There is fire in my eyes and loud words. But I also give the best, most-encompassing hugs of all my people.

It is great to join this fellowship!
VarTalman
VarTalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #3790
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Welcome, VarTalman! Hope you find the road that has led you here was a lucky one, one of the roads leading to the better places. At least us, who have been dwelling in this place for ages uncounted, can testify of it being a most pleasant place, and suitable whether you prefer talking about deep topics, or fun, or just reading and thinking quietly, or a pleasant mixture of them all...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #3791
Aerandir
Newly Deceased

Aerandir has just left Hobbiton.
Aerandir here. I just recently found this forum from a link in the Third Age Total War Tolkien Discussion thread and am pleased that I did find it.

A couple years ago I was scanning the bookshelf in the house, and found The Lord of the Rings books and The Hobbit. Of course I had seen the movies but never read it. Over the course of these years I had been collecting a bunch of Tolkien's works including those silly adventures in the Tales from the Perilous Realm.

Though I can't recite any of those crazy Bombadil songs/poems/whatever you want to call them, I consider myself a huge Tolkien nerd. Currently I am re-reading The Children of Hurin.

I had all but given up hope on a good Tolkien themed forum and found this! For those of you curious about my name, Aerandir was one of the three mariners who sailed with Eärendil and means 'Sea Wanderer'. Despite my name I remain to be a huge fan of Dunland and Rohan. I hope to enjoy my time on this wonderful forum!
Aerandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #3792
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Welcome, Aerandir!

Any self-proclaimed Tolkien Nerd ought to be right at home here.

Have fun!
Old 09-23-2012, 03:39 PM   #3793
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I second that welcome! We like Tolkien nerds here.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:51 AM   #3794
Erulissë
Newly Deceased

Erulissë has just left Hobbiton.
Hi there!

I've found this forum when I completed a personality test about LOTR characters. I am a huge Tolkien fan, from Spain, so, if I make mistakes when writing, that's because I don't have a high level on English. See you!
Erulissë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:54 AM   #3795
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erulissë View Post
I've found this forum when I completed a personality test about LOTR characters. I am a huge Tolkien fan, from Spain, so, if I make mistakes when writing, that's because I don't have a high level on English. See you!
Welcome, Erulissë! A good many regular posters here don't have English as a first language, yet write it better then many native speakers I've seen.

Enjoy yourself!
Old 09-30-2012, 06:07 AM   #3796
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Welcome! And Inzil is right.. so don't worry about it!

Old 09-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #3797
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I thirds that. Welcome to the Downs, Erulisse! No worries about your English. Have fun here!
Old 10-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #3798
Unforgiven
Animated Skeleton

Unforgiven has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Hi, just joined this forum. Being an avid reader of sci-fi and fantasy, I hope to find kindred spirits here.
Big fan of the works of Asimov, Burroughs, Raymond, Lewis and of course Tolkien.

Three hobbit movies, now that's going to be a stretch, hey?
Unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #3799
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Welcome, Unforgiven! We're glad to have you.

A "stretch" on the part of PJ and his cronies is an understatement.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:38 AM   #3800
malickfan
Pile O'Bones

malickfan has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Hi everyone just joined the forum after several months of nosy lurking. Having been introduced to Tolkien through Peter Jackson's LOTR film's I've gradually grown into something of a Tolkien Obssesive (i.e Tolkien Nerd)-I'm currently working my way through the H.O.M.E whilst re-reading The Hobbit and The Children of Hurin. I can't wait for The Hobbit Films (though I'm a bit unsure about three films-I can see why three was needed-otherwise Dol Goldur, Smaug and BOFA would overstuff the second film, but all the same its a little worrying...)

Once I came across this great community I knew it would only be a matter of time before I joined.

For The record my Favourite Tolkien Character is Cirdan The Shipwright and my favourite book being The Silmarillion (which I have no interest in seeing a film of)

One question though-

Are we allowed to post links to our own blogs or wesbites if they are Tolkien related?

I have written a long essay on Cirdan the Shipwright for my Blog and was planning on using the link as a way to kickstart a discussion about the mysterious (and personal favourite) character, but as it is a personal wesbite and cites numerous references and extracts from Tolkien's books, I was unsure whether this intrudes on copyright or privacy laws set by the website.

In anycase...great wesbite and I look forward to being a regular contributor!
malickfan is offline   Reply With Quote