The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: I've read Tolkien, for I have...
Found him on my own in a bookstore 4 3.77%
Heard about him from a friend/sibling 31 29.25%
Watched the movies 18 16.98%
Read exalted criticism in a paper/book and read his works to look for myself 0 0%
Read spiteful criticism in a paper/book and read his works to look for myself 0 0%
Found the books prohibited in my school/university and decided to have a go 0 0%
Been taught his works in school/university 4 3.77%
Been read his works by my parents as a child/read the books bought for me by my parents 28 26.42%
Enjoyed another artist (poet, writer, etc, please indicate) 3 2.83%
Other 18 16.98%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2006, 07:26 PM   #41
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Been taught his works in school/university

....meaning, I had The Hobbit read to our class by an enlightened Fourth Grade teacher.

Rediscovered it in sixth grade, reread The Hobbit then, attempted The Fellowship, & dropped it halfway through Book 1. Retried in 7th grade & made it all the way through.

Edit: BTW, Fourth grade-- that was.... 1969-70 school year.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:25 PM   #42
Arwen Evenstar6

I became a tolkien lover when I was 8 I found the books on my mum's book shelf. She didn't like the books when she was a child and was cind of mad when I found them lol
So i red them and then forced my mum to let me see the movie when I finished the book and i have loved it ever since.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:34 PM   #43
shieldmaiden4xsword
Wight

Location: where people stick out their tongues at their youth pastor....
shieldmaiden4xsword has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to shieldmaiden4xsword Send a message via Yahoo to shieldmaiden4xsword
hm. I read The Hobbit when I was 8 or 9. And i liked it, kinda, but I didn't quite understand it. It was a bit over my head.....

and i was always scared to read the books because......i saw some LOTR dolls in Wal mart and got freaked out.

then i forgot all that.....and i found the books in my library and decided to read it.

I literally fell in love with them.....
shieldmaiden4xsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:56 PM   #44
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
My brother started me into Tolkien, first by reading the Hobbit out loud to the family. As soon as he thought me old enough for LotR, age 10, he gave them to me to read. Since I highly respect my brother, I did what he told me to, and here I am.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:31 AM   #45
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dűm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

The movies just put it in a visual perspective for me, and since them I have been totally enthralled by his works...
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dűr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:51 AM   #46
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dűm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
I'm really surprised how many there were who got to know Tolkien from a parent. I thought I was the only one. My mother read the Hobbit to me (and later my sister) when we were younger. She had lots of Tolkien books sitting around the house. After that, I went to see the movie and then read LotR on my own.

Although it wasn't the main thing, Tolkien even influenced my choice of majors. I've gotten interested in languages and am doing a double major in linguistics along with Arabic and Hebrew.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:52 AM   #47
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dűm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
I got the Hobbit from my parents.

I'm pretty sure the origin of my interest was reading a classic Australian storybook called "The Magic Pudding". There were rhymes on many pages, and my dad would do all the right voices. (the croaky one for the pudding, the squeaky penguin! ) Anyways, I discovered it again in the bookshelf again at the age of nine, found it funny and my dad told me I should read the Hobbit for a good book with songs, rhyming etc. I read the Hobbit in a month or so and eventually got LOTR and spent a whole year reading that, on and off.

So ... yeah. Whole obsessive nature developed from that.
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:30 AM   #48
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I was 10 years old and had just befriended a girl nowadays called Thinlómien.

I had heard of a book called The Lord of the Rings, but I had never thought about reading it. As a child I often read books because their names, covers or descriptions seemed interesting, and the Lotr unfortunately looked rather nondescript (in a child's opinion the Finnish edition indeed looks dull out).

I remember walking with Lommy in the wintry schoolyard, and she spoke to me about the Lord of the Rings and roleplaying and everything that was already a part of her life, but by now a part of my life, too. I actually owe everything to her.

When I turned 11 I got the Lord of the Rings from my aunt as a present. I read it quickly, and started rereading almost immediately when I had finished it for the first time. At some point my father thought I had become hooked and read no other books anymore, so he forbade me reading it for two or three months (I had read it say 6 times in 1,5 a year, but I don't think it was that much). I took it with me to school and read it anyway.

By my next bithday I had read the Lotr for several times, the Hobbit, the Silmarillion and the Unfinished Tales. There was something in Tolkien's works that made me love them, and that love is something I will probably always carry with me.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:32 PM   #49
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I alluded to this elsewhere on the forum, but oddly enough it was Tolkien's obituary that led me to read his books. I was in grade school and happened to see his obit in The Detroit Free Press (complete with his picture and some drawings of Hobbits). Out of curiousity I began reading The Hobbit, and decades later I still keep the Tolkien estate subsidized through annual purchases of their product (which take up most of one of the bookcases in my study).

Last edited by Morthoron; 06-09-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Morthoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:08 AM   #50
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Embarrassing admission...

I read the LOTR for the first time (at age 8) because a 28 year old man I had a crush on was very much into Tolkien, and I wanted to see what it was he liked so much.

The subsequent 8 rereadings, however, were motivated purely by love of the book!

Embarrassingly enough, I only completely read the Silmarillion this year, and it was for the same silly, childish reason that I first read LOTR.

(Read the first half in '87, lost it, and never got around to finishing it - I don't really know why. There is no excuse.)

I'm glad I finally did, though. I don't know why I am motivated best by curiosity about interesting men, but I guess I have to accept motivation where I find it. It seems to work out surprisingly well...

Left to my own devices,I'd probably take LJ quizzes and listen to Radiohead all day until I died of boredom.

Last edited by Rikae; 06-10-2007 at 10:16 AM.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:34 PM   #51
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
Left to my own devices,I'd probably take LJ quizzes and listen to Radiohead all day until I died of boredom.
Hmmm...wouldn't listening to Radiohead all day give you the bends?
Old 06-11-2007, 01:41 AM   #52
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dűm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
Just a second... you had a crush on a 28 year old Tolkien addict?!
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:31 AM   #53
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Of course, the age difference is less of an issue this time!
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:26 PM   #54
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
Embarrassingly enough, I only completely read the Silmarillion this year, and it was for the same silly, childish reason that I first read LOTR.
I wonder who that interesting 28 year old man is that you're so curious about...

Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote