The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books > Chapter-by-Chapter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-14-2011, 06:21 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril Father Christmas Letters: 1926

The 1926 letter includes the picture that has become rather iconic - it is the cover illustration for some editions of the Father Christmas Letters - including the translation that Legate has*, and from which his Christmas avatar picture is taken.

I wonder which came first - the picture or the story? Tolkien being a man of words, I assume the latter, but they are so closely linked that it's hard to say. Those of you who don't have the book can almost tell the story from the illustration.

The North Polar Bear is the mischief-maker again, though not intentionally so. He causes an explosion of the "Rory Bory Aylis" fireworks (what a fun childlike word play for aurora borealis!), turning the North Pole black and causing havoc among the reindeer. The possibility that chocolate intended for England was thereby damaged makes me think that there may have been some actual reason for that fiction. Other than that, there is no mention of the children's presents in this letter.

Tolkien must have used a plain white envelope for this letter - the NPB mentions that the Snow Man is addressing them, and he writes in white...

*...and the German translation as well.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 12-14-2011 at 06:26 AM.
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
The 1926 letter includes the picture that has become rather iconic - it is the cover illustration for some editions of the Father Christmas Letters - including the translation that Legate has*, and from which his Christmas avatar picture is taken.
I should correct here: not really on the cover of my edition. The picture on the cover of my edition is the 1928 one, with the 1931 "FC packing" one on the back cover. But yes, of course, it is one of my favourite pictures - although many of the "North Pole and something" look a lot alike in the basic concept (e.g. the earlier mentioned stamps with sunrise? at the North Pole), they all have its different styles, colours and so on, and this one is really wonderfully done, despite Tolkien's (or FC's) humble remark that it is not easy if not downright impossible to draw such a thing.

Quote:
I wonder which came first - the picture or the story? Tolkien being a man of words, I assume the latter, but they are so closely linked that it's hard to say. Those of you who don't have the book can almost tell the story from the illustration.
I would also be interested to know if there was something that might have prompted this idea. I have also something else to say to this subject, but I will keep it for the 1927-discussion, since I think it is more appropriate there

There is one more thing mentioned in this letter and that is actually a character who appears constantly throughout Tolkien's legendarium (perhaps even the only one who does so!): the Man of the Moon. Just look: he appears in here, then in Roverandom and also in Middle-Earth, of course, in the famous poems/songs. I would say he really is an important character, maybe not here (his role is rather episodic), but in his general influence, for certain. His portrayal remains more or less consistent: you could say that in LotR, Roverandom and here, in all the cases his character, function, responsibilities, behavior etc. are more or less along the same lines.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
That drawing and the Rory Bory Aylis part of the story makes me think that Tolkien might have seen the real northern lights.

However, I wasn't aware that one could see them in England. I've seen them, both coloured and white, on a summer night and in the "the days between the years" but that was considerably farther north than I am now. Does anyone know if the northern lights can be seen in England? Tolkien was quite familiar with the night sky and the constellations.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
That drawing and the Rory Bory Aylis part of the story makes me think that Tolkien might have seen the real northern lights.

However, I wasn't aware that one could see them in England. I've seen them, both coloured and white, on a summer night and in the "the days between the years" but that was considerably farther north than I am now. Does anyone know if the northern lights can be seen in England? Tolkien was quite familiar with the night sky and the constellations.
I don't know if topography or climate is a consideration in seeing the "Rory Bory Aylis," but if it's simply a question of latitude, you can see the Northern Lights in Edmonton, Alberta and even a couple hundred kilometres south--and a quick glance at Wikipedia informs me that Edmonton is the same latitude as Manchester, England or Hamburg, Germany--so I'll assume it's not impossible to see them in England... though an Englishman would be a better authority than this Canadian as far as that goes.

...and a cursory glance at Wikipedia's article on the Aurora Borealis suggests that England *is* in visual range, though I've no idea of the frequency.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:21 AM   #5
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post

I am at least sure that there are some old chronicle reports of them being spotted in the area of the current Czech Republic (and people going completely "what the heck is that???", with some scientist guys rushing in to explain - of course it was something happening like once per half a millenium), which is still considerably more south than England, so I think, under certain circumstances, it should be possible. Rare, but possible.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #6
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Hitherto I had never understood the meaning of "Rory Bory Aylis" !!

I love PB's marginal notes!