Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2005, 01:47 AM   #241
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
White Tree

Regin I sent you a little pm.

Fea I think it's likely that Armenelos might take us longer than we think. We may have to tinker a bit with the timing. I'm not sure how things will play out.

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Old 04-09-2005, 08:51 AM   #242
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril Troubles in Armenelos

Perhaps an overnight stay with their Armenelos contact? Maybe the King's Men got a whiff of trouble and they had to pause and rethink... Just an idea.

Fea
Old 04-09-2005, 09:19 AM   #243
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Sophia,

Please check your pms.

Regin
Old 04-09-2005, 03:22 PM   #244
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himaran
Seems like things are going a bit slowly - (everyone's busy, and I am as well!). Perhaps its time for someone to walk in with a gun... or at least an axe.

- Himaran
I felt it was time for a "gun". Let's see what happens. But let's not get carried away with derring do. Remember the goal, folks.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:47 PM   #245
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

I'll sneak around behind 'em whilst they're distracted (that is, after whosoever wisheth to speak to them doeth so.)
Old 04-12-2005, 06:39 AM   #246
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Menel:

I set you up. Go for it.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:40 AM   #247
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Since I've set myself up as the speaker for the King's men here, I had better see it through.

Himaran, there's one problem with your post: these King's Men will not be satisfied until they have names. So please put into the mouth of the leader of the King's Men, that demand. .... and respond as you will......
Old 04-13-2005, 07:31 AM   #248
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

I added something to that effect. Not sure what you're planning, Menel, but make it violent. Please?
Old 04-13-2005, 08:41 AM   #249
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Not sure what you're planning, Menel, but make it violent.
Yes, do exhibit such folly at this early point in the story. I'd love to apply the consequences that the King's Men and Sauron would bring to bear.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:10 PM   #250
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Ah, King's Men and Fellowship, please remember: We're hoping for a tear-filled reunion at Romenna and it would be dreadfully inconvenient if those tears were over a letter stating the deaths of all of those who Inzi holds dear. Keep it subtle, pretty please.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:49 PM   #251
Scent of Simbelmynë

Indeed. Let's keep the violence to a bare minimum, if you please.

Furthermore, is the issue of the Kariborim going to be a problem? Shadowfax could never have been mistaken for an ordinary horse. SIX Shadowfaxes ought to be noticeable.

I've put a SAVE up. I'm conferring with TB12.

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Old 04-13-2005, 03:54 PM   #252
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Pipe

Not only that, but the party themselves ought to think of the speed of the Kariborim before sneakng around to outwit King's Men, don't you think?
Old 04-13-2005, 07:17 PM   #253
TomBrady12
Haunting Spirit

TomBrady12 has just left Hobbiton.
I have posted what maybe considered a controversial addition to the story. As always i am am open to change.

TB12
Old 04-13-2005, 09:08 PM   #254
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

TB12:

Abarzadan is thoroughly humbled. I do feel, however, that there is a problem with your approach. Abarzadan spoke with authority in my post, but in your post Marsillion states that he is a mere slave a bit after Abarzadan claimed to be the leader of the party. Despite the strength of Marsillion's position, I find it unlikely that the King's men would swallow the contradiction without question. Seeing that we had to find a non-violent ending to the episode, I do think that your solution was a good one. Also, it leaves room for future conflict between Abarzadan and Marsillion, which seems to be a prevalent theme already.

What do the rest of you think?

Last edited by Himaran; 04-13-2005 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:31 PM   #255
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Well, I've posted. Sorry if the use of a sword violates any rules, but I checked my bio and Thoronmir really doesn't seem to have any other close-range weapons on him. (He usually keeps it hidden in his cloak, so it's not obvious to everyone else.)

Of course, I guess I could edit my bio and give myself a dagger or something if need be...
Old 04-15-2005, 06:33 PM   #256
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I filled in my save.

Meneltarmacil: Should you have started the fight if the situation was supposed to be non-violent?

Just a concern.

- Regin
Old 04-15-2005, 06:36 PM   #257
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Sorry if I made things too complicated. I am not exactly sure what's supposed to happen, so if you'd like me to make any changes I'll do so.

However, I was told to make it violent...
Old 04-15-2005, 09:48 PM   #258
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Eye

Meneltarmacil, your character's not supposed to have a sword. Are you willing for your character to experience an early exit from the rp? After all, there were at least twice as many recommendations against violence as for. So the violence was really your choice. If I play this out according to my best understanding of Númenór, a half dozen of the King's Men will loose arrows and kill Thoronmir on the spot, since he has initiated the hostilities, attempting murder of a King's Man, something the Faithful would deplore regardless of the persecution. Part of what makes them the Faithful is the moral high ground. So the upshot is that violence is frankly out of character for anybody purporting to be a member of the Faithful. Especially the initiation of violence, unnecessarily; and it cannot be deemed necessary as long as Marsillion's ploy has not proved a failure.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 04-15-2005 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:18 AM   #259
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

OK, I deleted my post from the game. Sorry to mess everything up.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:04 PM   #260
Scent of Simbelmynë

White Tree

Menel- LMP is right about what would happen to Thoronmir if he whipped out his sword like that. I also think it would be better if you didn't claim to be an unrelated traveler, since we've already got two opposing stories going on. I'm sorry you had to delete your post, and I also think it's kind of interesting that you had the soldiers recognize Thoronmir. That could be a really interesting aspect, particularly as we get to Armenelos where more people would have known Thoronmir. However, I doubt he'd be more than vaguely familiar to them, as these are low-ranking sorts of soldiers and Thoronmir was a pretty high-ranking kind of guy once upon a time.

Don't worry though, I suspect we'll have violence (at least some) in Armenelos.

Everybody else- I pulled my save for Kathaani. I know I'm supposed to be coming up with all the good ideas as game owner , but I just can't think what to do with her in this situation. It seems like she would foul things up simply by being a woman present in this situation. If somebody (LMP?) could mention her vaguely in their next post and give me a hint on how others are going to handle her presence (like the soldiers?) it would help me immensely.

Also- I haven't seen Samsmyhero in weeks. It seems she's been missing from the downs entirely since 3-18? Any suggestions what to do with Tiru in her absence? Shall we just carry him, or shall we sacrifice him early?

Sophia

*cough* oh, and Menel? I love your sig.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:52 PM   #261
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I PM'd samsmyhero and have received no reply.

Since there has been no reason posted on the Discussion Thread for samsmyhero's long absence, please feel free to do with the character as you wish.

~*~ Pio
Old 04-16-2005, 01:21 PM   #262
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Soph: As much as it would no doubt skeeve Kathaani out to pretend she's Marsillion's lady (much as it did me to have a friend ask if my elder brother is my boyfriend... eeeew), it would account for her presence in the group, and if the guards accept the story that's floating around right now, than her "identity" would also presumably be accepted. Does that help?

And Menel, I didn't get a chance to read your post. Do you still have it? If so, I'd love to read it even if it doesn't work in the game.

Fea
Old 04-16-2005, 06:59 PM   #263
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Let's carry Tiru. He's a good character, and I can see uses for a loyal servant even if the original writer isn't with us ... for now.

Sophia, my first suggestion, when in doubt, is to reread your character description; sometimes you forget some of the great things you thought up weeks ago. If that fails you, close your eyes and ask her in your mind, giving specifics, what she wants to do. You'd be surprised what can result.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:21 PM   #264
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Sorry, I don't still have the post. It mostly involved Thoronmir claiming to be a simple traveler until the soldiers started to recognize him. At that point he slashed one of them with his sword. This would probably have been one of the dumbest things for him to do, though.

Anyway, I'll be out of town this weekend and hopefully post once I'm back. Oh, just so I can have a more "correct" close-range weapon, do you think I should give myself a hunting knife or something?
Old 04-22-2005, 07:42 PM   #265
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

A hunting knife or dagger would be quite in character.

Please accept my apologies, everyone, for not posting a reaction for the King's Men before now. It actually just occurred to me that that might be what everyone's politely waiting for. I'll get busy.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:27 PM   #266
Scent of Simbelmynë

White Tree What's been happening, and what's next.

It's quite alright, LMP. I've been terribly slow as well, which is due to the fact that I'm graduating college next Sunday (god willing), and am in the last minute haste of turning in final projects. Which is why my posting has been so sporadic. I anticipate things cooling off considerably around Wednesday, although I will try to post Kathaani's reaction to this whole soldier bit Monday afternoon. I've got it half written now, but I should really turn my attention to the 10 page paper I'm writing for my church history class. At least for a little while.

Our arrival in Armenelos should be imminent upon escaping the little patrol. I'll set that up by Wednesday as well, hopefully, give us a good descriptive scene of approaching the city. LMP, Alak, I'll probably run that by you before I post it, so watch your pms. So get in any more travelling scenes you had in mind... Azarmano, Abarzadan, any acid comments for Marsillion?

And of course, Armenelos is where we'll meet Monoizindu. I'm quite looking forward to that. And it appears Abar's plot is thickening. We could probably hear from Inzillomi as well.

This is really the good part coming up.

Sophia

[Edit] I lied. I had to post now, I got too caught up in writing it. *laughs at self*

Last edited by Sophia the Thunder Mistress; 04-23-2005 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:51 PM   #267
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tell you what. Seeing as I'm in such a writing frenzy and you all actually have real lives, how about posting up any intermediate stuff here to the discussion thread with a request for me to insert it where you want it inside my posts? Sound good? Easy enough to edit.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:51 PM   #268
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Wait... I'm confused (which would be easily remedied if I wasn't so tired)... how many days have you guys been on the road already?

Soph, you said arrival should be imminent, but I've been laboring under the [possible] delusion that it's still day one, although getting reeeeeally late.

Which is why I have my King's Men Showing Up To Take The Faithful post chilling out in my imagination right now. I'd planned the post for "the next morning", but have we passed it while I wasn't paying attention?

And LMP... so the plot thickens...
Old 04-23-2005, 08:44 PM   #269
Scent of Simbelmynë

White Tree timeline

Fea- we'd planned to kind of "gloss over" this journey, as all the major events are at the beginning, Armenelos, and the escape. The majority of Inzillomi's journey will take place during our time in Armenelos, so you haven't gotten behind.

In fact, since we haven't specified, Inzi's leaving post will fit in quite nicely (although from where LMP put us on the map, we're probably not on day 1 anymore). If you guys (gamers in general?) think it's necessary, give me a few days to work out the chronology and we can go back and edit in a "gloss over" of the earlier days, then we could place Inzi's post exactly after day one.

Hm. Specifics.

Sophia
Old 04-23-2005, 08:55 PM   #270
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Hmmm... I thought we were at the end of day one, just past Ondosto. I could be wrong. The map looked like the distance was not far from Armenelos to Ondosto (at least on the map I looked at there was an Ondosto...).
Old 04-23-2005, 09:06 PM   #271
Scent of Simbelmynë

White Tree 60 miles an hour...

It's 150 miles as the crow flies from Andunie to Armenelos. Ondosto is midway between, more or less. Disregard the "approximate path" its just the best map of numenor I had handy. Although I think LMP described a fairly similar route.

Shadowfax did 100 miles a day between Rohan and Gondor, we should do a little less... so to get just past Ondosto would be the end of day 2? That's doing 75 miles a day. Pretty good for horsepower. Wagon trains did approx. 20-30 miles/day, right?
Old 04-23-2005, 10:58 PM   #272
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Okay, so LMP (or whoever else) if I miss out slightly on the timing [which is highly possible, as I'm not at home currently], when I get my Inzi post complete, should I post it here to be edited in to Day Two, mid-morning?
Old 04-24-2005, 03:17 PM   #273
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Feanor, tell us where you want it and either the owner of that post or Pio can slide it into whichever post you say; if it needs to be revised later because somebody (Sophia) knows better, we can do that.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:11 PM   #274
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Sounds good. I'm going to post... Tomorrow. After school, I think. Since I was naughty and stayed up until nearly 4:00 AM and consequently spent most of today either in a sleep-like trance or actually asleep. Anything anybody wants me to make sure I add to my post before I write it?

EDIT: I've looked through the actual game posts, and it seems that Kathaani just fell asleep at the night of the first day. So does anybody object to me having Inzillomi's morning post next? Or would someone like to get in an early morning travelling post first? You have until about 8:30 tomorrow morning before I post. After that, I can edit stuff in if need be.

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 04-25-2005 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:18 PM   #275
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Pipe um, does Inzi know...?

Feanor asked me if Inzi knows of Mabalar's to this point unheard of pre-marriage dalliance with Miriel. It was a surprise to me until a day or two ago! I'm posting my answer here so that everybody in this rp can benefit from this little piece of advice.

I'm not going to give an answer to the question. Instead, I'd like to see Inzi, while she's riding eastward, think back to the time before she was married to Mabalar, and reminisce about it; the idea is for the story to reveal to you what Inzi knows, rather than you or me making a choice about it.

This kind of thing applies to anybody's character. If you're not sure what your character knows or doesn't know, find out by writing it out and see what your deep mind gives you. It can be quite shocking and revealing; not to mention fun.

"Dalliance" might be a bad word, considering the connotations. Let's just say they were serious about each other until the ambitious Fool stepped in.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:29 PM   #276
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Eye

Deleted my old save and put up a new post. I think someone owed Marsillion a thank you.

Let me know if any changes are necessary.

- Regin
Old 04-28-2005, 08:45 AM   #277
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I moved my post so that the night ones came before it.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:48 AM   #278
Scent of Simbelmynë

White Tree This weekend

This has been a great series of posts, guys!! Menel, Regin, Fea, LMP- good writing all of you! Fea, you make me laugh... womanly necessities...

I've put Kathaani to sleep, so she should be alright during whatever interactions are going on amongst the men-folk.

Just to let you all know, I'm graduating from college on Sunday afternoon, so this weekend I'll be more or less completely unavailable. Also next week sometime (not sure quite when yet) I'll be moving. I will definitely have internet access all that time, just not sure how much time I'll have to use it.

Also, TB12 is my real-life brother (as I'm sure most of you guys have caught ), so he'll be driving halfway across the country to come to my graduation this weekend, so he'll be MIA too.

Hopefully we'll both be able to get our next posts in within a reasonable amount of time, if not... very sorry, back with you ASAP. In the meantime, I think Inzi and Abar are quite capable of handling things around here

So to recap, I probably won't be here this weekend, TB12 likewise. I'll try to update at the beginning of the week on how long the moving will take and when I will be doing it.

Sophia
Old 04-28-2005, 03:06 PM   #279
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Capable though Inzi may be (and for the compliment, my thanks), her alter ego <cough> me </cough> will be out of town this weekend also. I just found out I'm going to Boston, so from tonight when I go to bed until Sunday at the earliest, I'm completely unavailable.

Soph: it's amazing how much real life gets thrown into writing. A bunch of us were talking about the trip to Boston and some of the guys were all worried about carrying around bags and what could possibly be that crucial that you would drag a bag all over a city? I informed them, subtly, of course, and the girls all snickered while the guys all groaned.

So yeah... looks like Abar's gonna be the capable one this weekend. I'll be back in a few days.

Oh, and Soph, congratulations!
Old 04-28-2005, 07:17 PM   #280
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

Sophia-

Congrats on graduating from college and all. You must be excited. Thanks for the compliment about my writing too.

Ouch, Himaran. A bit harsh, don't you think. I still like your post, though.

I would like to inform everyone that I won't be going out of town this weekend/attending a graduation. I look forward to doing more posting.

Great game all

- Regin

Last edited by Regin Hardhammer; 04-28-2005 at 07:21 PM.