The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-17-2002, 06:47 AM   #1
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dūm

Losthuniel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril The Moon

Does anyone else find it odd that the characterization( i invented a word! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]) of the moon is male? In the usual mythologies, the Moon is often portrayed as female (eg: Artemis, Diana) Did Tolkien have a reason for it, or did he just pull it out of thin air?
(trivial question, I know, but it wouldnt leave me alone)
Losthuniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 06:52 AM   #2
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Maybe ME is a reflection of the Earth and therefore what is female in our world would be male there.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:12 AM   #3
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
The maiden whom the Valar chose from among the Maiar to guide the vessel of the Sun was named Arien, and he that steered the island of the Moon was Tilion.
Interesting topic. Yes, the majority of World religions have seen the Sun as masculine, think Ra etc and the Moon as feminine (ie Diana). I can think of few that do not conform to this standard. Perhaps someone acquainted with Norse mythology could aid us in discovering the way the wafer crumbles in that part of the world.

Tolkien's reversal of these roles intrigued me. Definitely worthy of discussion. I'll think on the topic and come back when I have more time! In the meantime; any thoughts?

[ July 17, 2002: Message edited by: Stephanos ]
Old 07-17-2002, 08:31 AM   #4
Sharkū
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkū has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Of further interest might be the consideration of a total change of that perception in Germanic folklore, where the Moon changed from feminine in old tradition to masculine, and the Sun vice versa.

As for Tolkien's fiction, we have to consider the individual nature of the two: both are only a second best thing (third best if you count the Lamps), and the individual attributes of Sun and Moon are slightly different from those in our myths.

For those attributes are still widely covered by the respective Valar: whereas in, say, Roman myth, the Sun as Sol Invictus was the high invincible God (of War, later for a time, of All), that position was in Tolkien's myth never attributed to the Sun, but to various Valar (Manwė and Tulkas respectively, one might say). Similarly, the reign of the night sky is in Tolkien's ME considered to be Varda's, not that of the Moon.
Of further interest is the fact that Tolkien was of course well aware of the different nature of "his" Sun and Moon:
"A marked difference here between these legends and most others is that the Sun is not a divine symbol, but a second-best thing, and the 'light of the Sun' (the world under the sun) become terms for a fallen world, and a dislocated imperfect vision. [In a footnote:] As far as all this has symbolical or allegorical significance. Light is such a primeval symbol in the nature of the Universe, that it can hardly be analysed. The Light of Valinor (derived from light before any fall) is the light of an undivorced from reason, that sees things both scientifically (or philosophically) and imaginatively (or subcreatively) and says that they are good' – as beautiful. The Light of Sun (or Moon) is derived from the Trees only after they were sullied by Evil." (Letter #131)
Sharkū is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 08:51 AM   #5
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Good post, Sharkey. You're right, the question should be expanded beyond gender. Why do people think Tolkien treated the Sun and Moon so differently in his mythology as compared to 'traditional' norms?

Is it simply to reinforce his belief in a 'dislocated' version of Earth, a continuation of Melkor's marring of Arda during its creation? Yet even the lights of this 'imperfect vision' are enough to scare Melkor for many years. Are the gender roles important in the way the Sun and the Moon are considered in ME?

Very interesting about Germanic folklore, I never knew that. Do you know why and when this change occurred? I feel research coming upon me...
Old 07-17-2002, 09:39 AM   #6
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maybe he made a mistake.
Old 07-17-2002, 11:19 AM   #7
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, Tolkien wanted England to have it's own legend, or myth (same thing) and that was one of the reasons he created Arda. He felt that England had no legends of it's own and so he created it. Maybe he wanted to be different and he switched those positions to give England a different myth from all the other ones, which are all very similar.
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 08:52 PM   #8
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This is how I interpreted it: (be patient, it gets confusing.)

The Sun and Moon were created from the last fruit and the last flower of the Two Trees. The fruit from the Golden Tree Laurelin was placed in the sky by the Valar Varda, and was guided through the sky by the female Maier Arien.

The last flower of the White Tree Telperion was also placed in the sky by Varda, and was guided through the sky by the male Maier Tilion.

So my thought was that through the ages, the actual Sun and Moon assumed the female and male aspect of the Maier who guided them, at least in the minds of the people of Middle Earth.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 11:12 PM   #9
Sharkū
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkū has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Since the decision of the Ainur on which gender they chose to clothe themselves in was made by their temper in the beginning (see Ainulindalė), we would have to consider both Tilion and Arien at least to a certain degree archetypical for their genders, and hence also the abstract Sun and Moon into which they evolved.
Sharkū is offline   Reply With Quote