The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-17-2003, 09:08 AM   #1
Ghostblade
Pile O'Bones

Ghostblade has just left Hobbiton.
The most evil person....

Hello all! I was sitting here eating Pasta when I got an idea.. Who do you think is the most evil character in the book and/or movie.
[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2003, 10:37 AM   #2
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I personally think that Sam is the most evil character in the books and the movies. Someone who serves another so well and so purely is, in my opinion, EVIL to the core!!!! Besides, we all know why he asked for a "nice, shiny dagger" in Lothlorien. Do we not? [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

BTW, Pasta is rather conducive to learning. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 11:42 AM   #3
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Depends on whether you're talking the 3 main books or if you're saying in all of the lotr-realted books that Tolkien wrote.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 12:08 PM   #4
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If its Lotr i'd probably say that it was Sauron who is the most evil charector. Saruman is evil put not pure evil in my opinion and alot of the other bad charectors arnt pure evil either.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:33 PM   #5
Gashberz
Haunting Spirit

Gashberz has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gashberz
Sting

SMAUG!!!!!! HE WAS ROTTEN!! But you do have a good point on Sam. its always the quiet "nice" people who end up ruling the world! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2003, 03:03 PM   #6
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye

Well, since Morgoth was the source of evil in Eä, I'd say it was pretty much a no brainer.

And, before you point out that he wasn't a character in LotR, it was his evil which corrupted Sauron, "created" Orcs, Dragons and the like, and tainted Arda with evil. There is no evil in Middle-earth but that it derives its source in him.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:22 PM   #7
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
And, before you point out that he wasn't a character in LotR, it was his evil which corrupted Sauron, "created" Orcs, Dragons and the like, and tainted Arda with evil. There is no evil in Middle-earth but that it derives its source in him.
Yes you have a point there saucepan man. Sauron was only a luitanant to Morgoth. If i had to chooce who was most evil between Morgoth and Sauron i would definately choose Morgoth.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:45 PM   #8
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I have never called Melkor a 'person'.

Most evil person was probably Ulfang, who betrayed the Eldar and fought for Melkor. Way more evil than Bill Ferny I think.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:41 PM   #9
Castamir
Pile O'Bones

Castamir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmm most evil person? I think it would have to be Morgorth, although i might possibly choose Ungoliant.
Castamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 05:59 PM   #10
Ghostblade
Pile O'Bones

Ghostblade has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

sorry if I made this unclear all... what i meant was who you think in everything that tolkien wrote about middle-earth movie or book. :evil :evil :evil
Old 12-18-2003, 06:42 PM   #11
Tar-Alcarin
Wight

Tar-Alcarin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Melkor is by far the most evil of all people in middle-earth. I mean, the guy took elves, tortured them and mutilated them in to orcs. Who besides Melkor could sluaghter a peace loving being just to make his own race. I mean suaron is evil and all, but who taught him his evil ways: MELKOR did.
But in the movies, legolas is. I mean that little twit is the only reason my sister and her friends like LoTR. She asked me if Orlando Bloom was mentioned at all in the books. Not legolas, but Orlando BLoom. Now that is evil.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:26 AM   #12
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
I have never called Melkor a 'person'.
You are right, Eomer. No person could ever be able to sing differently (if you know what I mean) in the Ainulindale.

This is not the Movies forum. -Sharkû

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 7:03 AM December 19, 2003: Message edited by: Sharkû ]
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 06:05 AM   #13
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Please discuss who you think the most evil person in the Movies is in the Movies forum. Ignore what the topic starter said; this forum is for book discussions.
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 09:31 AM   #14
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

If we are talking about all beings and not just people then I think that everyone would say Melkor.
Old 12-19-2003, 05:55 PM   #15
Meoshi
Wight

Meoshi has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Glaurung. If you read his segment of the Silmarillion, you'll see that he was an utter creep. Maybe not as evil as his boss, but he's up there.
Meoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 10:46 AM   #16
Tuor Turambar,Cursed by the Valar
Wight

Tuor Turambar,Cursed by the Valar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
If we are talking about all beings and not just people then I think that everyone would say Melkor.
Yes, this is true, but I am assuming it means 'person', ie man, elf, dwarf, ent, orc, troll, dragon, ect.
If I am correct, I say that the most evil PERSON is saruman. I know he is not really a person, but i think he is elvish/hamanish enough to count, while Morgoth and sauron are not. (throws reason out the window). OK, i admit it. I just think saruman is really, REALLY evil. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

No, im not turin. Or tuor. Or anyone. I am not!
Tuor Turambar,Cursed by the Valar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 06:25 PM   #17
Rasputin
Pile O'Bones

Rasputin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rasputin
Sting

i'd say shelob. *shiver* gives me the creeps. but then again the ungoliath is the same thing....just like a million times bigger and more powerful.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 02:08 PM   #18
Elrond of Rivendell
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elrond of Rivendell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

yeah ... I would agree with that Ungoliant-idea. When I first read The Silmarillion, Morgoth almost "disappeared" compared to this huge monster. IMHO, a creature who has such a great lust that it is ready to eat herself up, is extremely evil. Another point "for" Ungoliant: Morgoth alone wasn't able to overcome her. So Ungoliant definitely is very powerful and entirely evil.
Greeting,
EfR
Elrond of Rivendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 02:10 PM   #19
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Hmm... I think I'd consider Morgoth to be the most evil person in Middle-earth. Why he is, is fairly self-explanatory, since he alone had the audacity to actually corrupt a race created by Iluvatar, for his own dastardly purposes.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 12-21-2003, 02:12 PM   #20
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Ye olde list of evilness:

Dwarf: Mim

Hobbit: Ted Sandyman

Human: The Witch King (so he's not really human anymore... who cares?)

Elf: Eol

Maiar: Sauron the Deciever

Valar: Melkor Morgoth

Non-Humanoid: Ungoliant

At least, in my humble opinion. The MOST evil award definately goes to Morgoth.
Old 12-21-2003, 02:26 PM   #21
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your proposal of Eol the Dark Elf as being the most suitable Elf for the title of "Most Evil..." I propose that said Dark Elf's son, Maeglin, is much more suitable for the title, having fallen incestuously in love with his cousin, having betrayed the city of Gondolin to the Dark Lord Morgoth, and having attempted to murder his nephew Earendil.

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2003, 04:40 PM   #22
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Sting

There is no way that a Dragon can be referred to as being a person. But since the topic starter has already made it clear that it is not just people we are discussing, this minor quibble should not be discussed further.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:44 AM   #23
Arothir
Wight

Arothir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For evil elves, look no farther! Everyone knows any Orc could fit the title of most evil elf! Don't start an orc debate! Of course Melkor (not Morgoth) is the most evil thing ever!
Arothir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 11:04 AM   #24
Tar-Alcarin
Wight

Sting

Quote:
Maeglin, is much more suitable for the title, having fallen incestuously in love with his cousin, having betrayed the city of Gondolin to the Dark Lord Morgoth, and having attempted to murder his nephew Earendil.
Aman to that. Maeglin is the most evil elf, he gave the position of his own city away to morgoth, because of that countless noldorians died and fell in love with his cousin! HOw evil is that. Now Eol granted did kill his wife, but that is nothing compared to the pain and suffering Maeglin caused.
And as for most evil Man: That goes to Ulfang the Eastering. Becuase of him the Unnumbered Tears was lost. He turned against his human and elvish brethrin and slaughter them all.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:52 PM   #25
Tuor Turambar,Cursed by the Valar
Wight

Tuor Turambar,Cursed by the Valar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Aman to that. Maeglin is the most evil elf, he gave the position of his own city away to morgoth, because of that countless noldorians died and fell in love with his cousin! HOw evil is that. Now Eol granted did kill his wife, but that is nothing compared to the pain and suffering Maeglin caused.
Well, are orcs elves? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Even if they were, it is possible that Maeglin was more evil than any orc, because he was able to somewhat decieve people, and make them think he was good. So, is hidden or revealed evil better?

No, im not turin. Or tuor. Or anyone. I am not!
Tuor Turambar,Cursed by the Valar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 06:31 PM   #26
Dragon Elf odin Ragnorock
Animated Skeleton

Dragon Elf odin Ragnorock has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I would have to say the most evil person in the books is Gollum because he gave Frodo up to shelob and he is over consumed with the ring
Old 12-22-2003, 06:43 PM   #27
Elrond of Rivendell
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elrond of Rivendell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I wouldn't depict Gollum as entirely evil. Anyway, I always hoped (until I finished reading LotR for the first time) that he could become Smeagol again. But still, Gollum's whole evil behaviour (his treason, etc.) is due to the Ring, so if Gollum is evil, the Ring is it even more, not to speak of its maker Sauron, who was after all only a follower of Morgoth.
Greetings,
EfR
Elrond of Rivendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 04:26 PM   #28
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well for starters, the most evil "person" in Middle-earth is Morgoth, followed closely by Sauron.

As for the side-debate about the most evil Elf, I have to second (or third or fourth) Finwe's proposal of Maeglin. He gives me the creeps.

Quote:
Aman to that. (Tar-Alcarin)
Pun intended? [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Angmar
Old 12-24-2003, 12:52 PM   #29
Tar-Alcarin
Wight

Sting

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aman to that. (Tar-Alcarin)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pun intended?
Of course [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 12-24-2003, 02:27 PM   #30
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Sting

Do the quotation marks indicate that the "person"s are not actually persons?
Old 12-30-2003, 03:24 PM   #31
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Sting

Quote:
Do the quotation marks indicate that the "person"s are not actually persons?
No, it just seems strange calling Morgoth Bauglir, the fallen Vala and Ainu, a "person." I don't know why. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Angmar
Old 01-01-2004, 09:14 PM   #32
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

This is going waayy back to the top of the thread (and I'm sorry that I don't know how to quote things [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] ). I'm one of the quiet ones. Gashberz, how could you even think that we want to take over the world? At least, I don't think we do...I do have a tendency to set off the security devices at the airport...hee hee hee [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] . (just kidding with the evilness...JUST KIDDING!)

Anyway, I'm not going to restate Morogth or Sauron, they're obvious enough, but I think that Feanor and sons are evil. I always hated them. (Weel, come to think of it, not as evil as Maeglin, but a lot of Middle-Earth's torment was their fault.) Nasty elves!
Old 01-02-2004, 01:22 PM   #33
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Sting

Feanor? Evil? Well, he could easily be construed that way based on his actions, I suppose. I myself would describe him as "misguided and insane." [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]