The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-13-2002, 09:43 AM   #1
Araen
Haunting Spirit

Araen has just left Hobbiton.
Question The prefix Ara

Okay it clearly states in the appendix that after a certain king of Gondor that every heir would have Ara at the beging of his name..... 'twasn't so with Aragorn's son. Why? Don't kill me I am a bing newbie......
"Where is the horse and the rider, where is the horn that was blowing, they have passed like rain on the mountains, like wind in the meadow, the days are damned in the west? behind the hills? there are shadows... "
Araen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 09:54 AM   #2
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Welcome to the Barrow-Downs. Rest assured, we do not kill, shoot, or flame newbies here. I may be wrong on this but I believe that in naming his son, Aragorn returned to the old tradition of selecting names for kings in Quenya rather than Sindarin (or Adunaic in the case of Numenor). Thus Aragorn's formal name as King of Gondor was Telecontar (Strider).
Old 02-13-2002, 04:33 PM   #3
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
No Mithadan, I believe you are correct. Now another thing to go look up! The quest of remembering where I read things, and how I comprehended them! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Hey newbie...welcome aboard! You'll find us very friendly here!
Old 02-16-2002, 01:37 PM   #4
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

I didn't notice that bit - me being ignorant yet again - got to read on that!

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 02:39 PM   #5
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

That's really cool! I hadn't realized that! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 08:33 PM   #6
Sillabub
Wight

Sillabub has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The prefix 'Ar' means Royal, as one could observe in the name ARWEN [ar(royal)+wen(maiden)=arwen]. One of the numenorean kings chose to take up the name Ar-Pharazon instead of the numenorean traditional TAR-Pharazon. What Tar- means, I don't know.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:36 PM   #7
Sillabub
Wight

Sillabub has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

And then there's hereditary naming, which I have no clue about. I'll just tell you that Eowyn and Eomer's father was Eomund, and Eomund's father's name started with an EO and so on and so forth. Get the pattern? I just have no clue WHY that happens. And did you know Aragorn's mother was named after a RIVER in Gondor? The river Gilraen.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:53 PM   #8
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

The prefix "Tar-" in Sindarin means "King" or "Ruler." It was used as a prefix by the Kings of Numenor who followed the Eldarin ways. When the Rebel Kings of Numenor took up the throne (as I like to call them), they changed their "use-names" to ones in Adunaic, and so the prefix for "King" or "Ruler" in that language was "Ar-."

If you look at it, it was also proof that no matter how hard they tried, they couldn't completely remove the Elvish influence on Numenor, no matter how hard they tried. "Ar-" in Sindarin means "Noble, Royal, Kingly, etc," so those Kings of Numenor were actually using an Elvish title, while thinking that they were using an Adunaic one. An example of a Sindarin name with "Ar-" as a prefix is "Ar-Feiniel" ("Noble White Lady (of the Noldor)") which was the epessë of Aredhel, daughter of Fingolfin.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 02:13 AM   #9
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

this may be a bit off topic (sorry) but i just noticed that the name 'Aragorn' has two elements in it. by changing the order of the letters you end up with words Aran (king in Quenya) and gor (fright or fear).
okey, now i don't have a clue why i post this here. i guess i was so excited when i noticed that kind of thing myself (though i assume that Tolkien had a better explanation for this name) [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]