The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2004, 02:18 AM   #1
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe I have a problem with my in-law . . .

. . . and he's Tar-Palantír.

It seems that, for all the good he had done in his life, he made one mistake. One possibly fatal mistake.

Quote:
It remained a custom thereafter . . . that the King should yield the sceptre to his successor before he died; and the Kings died of free will while yet in vigour of mind. (UT II 3)
If Tar-Palantír would indeed repent of the deeds of his forefathers, would he not follow this custom, passing the sceptre to his heir (Míriel) before his death? Would this not have saved Númenor from the machinations of Pharazôn? I know that a majority of the Númenóreans were already corrupted, and that little could change that, but still, would this have resulted in a different - perhaps milder - outcome?
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 08:34 AM   #2
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

You do have a point there about Tar-Palantír.

It might have done some good, but then again it might not. Pharazôn seems a rather determined character.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:49 PM   #3
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
passing the sceptre to his heir (Míriel) before his death? Would this not have saved Númenor from the machinations of Pharazôn?
I think he did pass the sceptre to Miriel- but it still didn't stop Pharazon. From Akallabeth-
Quote:
But Pharazon took her to wife against her will...And when they were wedded, he seized the sceptre into his own hand...
Old 09-03-2004, 01:14 PM   #4
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril If there's a will, there's a way...

And there is indeed for Ar-Pharazon. He would have openly opposed Tar-Palantir while he yet lived or not, but as soon as he dies, the gears will kick in motion. Undoubtedly he would still have done the same thing.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 11:47 PM   #5
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

Quote:
I think he did pass the sceptre to Miriel- (the phantom)
I think he didn't.

If Pharazôn is as headstrong as you think he is, wouldn't he have challenged the rule of Tar-Palantír outright? He commands a majority in Númenor, and could have used that for his imperial ambitions. But he didn't. He respected - or at least feared to oust - the holder of the Sceptre. Seeing Tar-Palantír dead without properly passing the sceptre gave him his chance - it is easier to challenge a law - especially a radical one made for personal reasons - than a living person, I think.

So he might be determined. But I don't think he would challenge a Tar-Míriel, Ruling Queen of Númenor.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 01:01 AM   #6
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilpaurion Felagund
So he might be determined. But I don't think he would challenge a Tar-Míriel, Ruling Queen of Númenor.
Ar-Pharazon's such a chauvinist that he thinks even ruling queens are beneath him, I presume?

Or he took advantage of the temporary setback caused by the sudden change of the ruling monarch.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote