The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2004, 09:03 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril The Road Goes Ever On (Tolkien/Swann)

Though music reviews are usually not placed on the Books forum, I’m posting this one here for as special reason. In every Tolkien bibliography, this book is listed, not just because JRRT wrote the poems which Donald Swann set to music. He not only consented to and approved of the project, as it was done during his lifetime, but cooperated and collaborated in the production of this wonderful book.

Though I’ve been looking for this book since I read about it a couple of years ago, I didn’t find it until last month, in a London bookshop. Thanks to Peter Jackson and the interest rekindled by the movies, books that were out of print have been published anew. (This is a third edition, by HarperCollins, and includes a CD of all of the songs.)

I’d like to describe the book visually before I go on to review the musical aspects. It’s gorgeous! – so much so, as a matter of fact, that a non-fan family member suggested it should be displayed on the coffee table instead of staying on my piano. The black dust-jacket is decorated with Tengwar texts written by Tolkien himself. He also wrote the Notes and Translations on the Elvish texts for “Namárië” and “A Elbereth Gilthoniel”. Those are great reading for all who are interested in the language, but the hand-written Tengwar calligraphy fascinates me most.

The book contains the original six songs of the cycle plus three more that were composed later. The solo notes are set for medium voice and the piano accompaniments are intermediate to moderately advanced level. They are in a very classical style, reminiscent of Schubert’s and Schumann’s art songs. The melodies did not all immediately appeal to me, though I’m quite familiar with the style. (I'm a classically trained pianist who has enjoyed accompanying soloists in the past.) They don’t feel quite “hobbity” enough to me – too artful, you might say (to paraphrase Nokes). However, they’re growing on me as I hear them repeatedly, and they give an interpretation of the poems which enriches my understanding, even though they’re not likely to become my favorite melodies.

In the Foreword, Swann tells of the origin and development of his composition and the meetings he had with JRR and Edith Tolkien (she was an accomplished pianist!) about the songs. From Carpenter’s biography, I know that they were sung at the Tolkiens’ Golden Wedding anniversary in 1966, with the composer playing the piano and William Elvin (fortuitous name!) singing.

Here are the individual titles; I will include notes on the CD performance, most of which is sung by William Elvin (a wonderful baritone voice, very good interpretation of the songs!) and played by Donald Swann.

1. The Road Goes Ever On – This melody is the theme of the song cycle and shows up later on in some of the other pieces. It has too much of a hymn feeling for that poem, in my opinion, but it is singable and enjoyable.

2. Upon the Hearth a Fire Is Red – The melody I consider the best interpretation! It’s jolly and sounds like the hobbits would have had fun singing it.

3. In the Willow-Meads of Tasarinan – The melody is kept in a minor key and sounds somewhat melancholy and quite appropriate for an Entish song.

4. In Western Lands - This melody has some complicated transpositions that make it tricky to sing, so it doesn't sound like Sam to me.

5. Namárië – The melody to this Elvish song came from Tolkien himself, who wasn’t comfortable with Swann’s interpretation, suggesting this one. It sounds like a Gregorian chant (his Catholic influence?) and is unaccompanied, with an instrumental introduction, interlude, and coda.

6. I Sit Beside the Fire – This is a very nice tune that fits the words well. Listening to it moved me, especially since it breaks into (7.) “A Elbereth Gilthoniel” after the words “I listen for returning feet and voices at the door”, a very touching idea. Those Elven words are set to the theme melody again, and I like it here. It makes those lines sound very hymn-like.

8. Errantry – This is a delightfully fast-paced melody to the whimsical poem from “The Adventures of Tom Bombadil”! Tricky to perform, it’s not a sing-along song, but fun to hear.

9. Bilbo’s Last Song – The recording of this song touched me deeply, even moving me to tears. The composer sings it himself, and though his voice does not have Elvin’s professional quality, being a bit wavery and less clear, it is perfect for this poem – Swann is Bilbo!

10. Lúthien Tinúviel – On the CD, this is sung by Clive McCombie, whose voice I don’t enjoy as much as Elvin’s. (It has more tremolo than I like.) This is the one piece on which I find the piano accompaniment too restless for the solo melody.

All in all, this book is definitely worth purchasing if you’re interested in music, or even just to show it off on your bookshelf. Among all the various musical interpretations of Tolkien’s poetry, this one is special, as it is the one most closely connected directly with him. It makes me realize, though, that musical images are just as individual as visual ones. Another person’s melodies will never be identical with mine!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 09:08 AM   #2
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Esty, you will link to this in Music Reviews, won't you?

I have three copies of this book. The earlier copies (ebay) don't have the last two songs you list, and once I discovered that I paid normal price for the volume you have. (Don't you love that it comes with a CD?)

The book(s) are lovely, even the older ones (with the rather tacky cover designs) but I wanted several copies in case I ever got to have a sing-along.

I think "THe Willow-Meads of Tasarinen" is the best in terms of interpretation. I admire you that you can handle the piano score for these songs!) The piano score for that one seems appropriately Entish to me-- rumbly, heavy, swaying a little.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:11 AM   #3
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I ordered it the second I knew it was being reprinted ... having waited so long mainly for the elvish! Of course too late I realised THAT was on the net but I dont begrudge my Ł20 for it is a lovely book even though my piano playing is limited and I can't quite manage to sing baritone!!! I think I would settle for The willow meads... as a favourite..... but I am afraid I prefer the Stephen Oliver settings for the duplicates ...... but I do like the setting of Bilbo's Last Song, and while I would love to hear the full choral version, Donald Swann's rendition, clearly towards the end of his life, is moving because he clearly feels so much for it.

It is interesting to hear another side to his creativity having "grown up" with the hippopotamus song etc.... a friend did a sponsored 24 hour organ play and those of us keeping him company on the graveyard shift kept ourselves awake singing along to Flanders & Swann ....... very British sense of humour... lol.

All I need now is an elvish style coffee table to put it on!

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 12:19 PM   #4
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
a friend did a sponsored 24 hour organ play and those of us keeping him company on the graveyard shift kept ourselves awake singing along to Flanders & Swann ....... very British sense of humour... lol.
All together now....'The English, the English, the English are best, I wouldn't give tuppence for all of the rest....'
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 12:30 PM   #5
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The English are moral, the English are good
And clever and modest and misunderstood...

For the English are all that a nation should be,
And the flower of the English are Tolkien, Davem and Me!

I sense another wrist slap heading my way...

Psychic.... well it is a Swann song a mere illustration of the adaptability and range of the of the composer .......... not completely of topic

Last edited by Mithalwen; 09-03-2004 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Esty dared me....
Old 09-02-2004, 12:56 PM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
*Estelyn looks around to see which forum this is*

Oh, it isn't Mirth after all, it's Books! I dare you Brits to edit your posts so they're on-topic...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 09-04-2004, 04:30 AM   #7
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I'm encountering an interesting phenomenon that's similar to what Tolkien and Lewis experienced - they decided to write the stories they wanted to read, since no one else did. Well, I feel that the music to several hobbit songs in this book doesn't quite fit the feeling of the poems for me. However, I'm not normally inclined to composing, so have never tried my hand at setting them to melodies of my own.

Well, this morning a melody to "The road goes ever on" came to me! No one could have been more surprised than I was. It's simple, encompassing a range of only one octave, with easy intervals, and basic harmonies underlying it. It has passed the walking test, since I sang it under my breath while walking the dog, and it seems quite appropriate for a nice hobbit hike!

That's good enough for me - a hobbit melody doesn't have to be earth-shakingly original and novel. Now perhaps I'll find a melody to "I sit beside the fire", which could be more pensive, for my personal taste, than Swann's cheerful music.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:39 AM   #8
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Soooo, Esty, when do we get to hera this new tune?
Old 09-04-2004, 04:54 AM   #9
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Have to admit I find it really difficult to get Stephen Oliver's tunes (BBC Radio series) out of my head. Though some of the Tolkien Ensemble's music is perfect - their version of Bombadil's song is the best I've heard. None of Swann's tunes really work for me, but I can listen to them without flinching, as long as I can manage to shut out the experience of last year's Oxonmoot, when three generations of one family (grandmother, daughter & granddaughter) 'sang' a selection of them.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 05:14 AM   #10
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That experience of davem's is the reason you'll never hear me sing my song in public, Helen!!
It's purely for my own enjoyment.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:57 AM   #11
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I listened to both the Swann and the Oliver settings this morning and Oliver wins hands down ... I have loved those settings for 20 years now ..... I am less fond of some of the orchestral pieces ....the theme tune itself and Shadowfax but the healing ofhte shire cleverly incorporates some of the elvish themes ..... Galadriel's influence showing through....

Old 09-04-2004, 03:12 PM   #12
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Well done, Esty! I really should give composing a shot considering I want to pursue a career in music, I just really haven't got the time for it right now. The other day, though, I took out my flute and decided I was going to play something elfy. I just closed my eyes and thought "elven" over and over... it sounded pretty but nothing brilliant happened. Maybe I'll give another of these "channeling" sessions a shot in the future! I just wish I had a little symphony orchestra I could keep in my closet and take out from time to time...

Thanks for the original post; I'll keep an eye out for that one!
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote