Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-28-2005, 12:48 PM   #601
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Child
Angoroth has told me to keep an eye on your character.... Any chance of the two of us having a little encounter sometime before the end of this tale? Please pm or post on this thread.
Most certainly. What do you have in mind?
Old 10-28-2005, 01:50 PM   #602
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The family butcher

One down... three to go.....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 10-28-2005, 02:04 PM   #603
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Okay, I think I'm going to adjust things a bit.

As long as no one minds, and particularly the Dwarves and Elves of Lindon, what do you think of this: we basically end the game right after the destruction of the city. The end of the game basically occurs with the Elves of Lindon arriving at Ost-in-edhil to find it in ruins. Then, the Dwarves and/or Elves of Lindon can write an epilogue(s) that tells how they finally drove back Sauron's army, but too late for Eregion.

What does everyone think? I'm mainly worried about the Dwarves and Elves of Lindon, if they feel that this is cutting them out of the plot too much. Just let me know, we can continue on as planned, and just try to be quick about it. I certainly haven't been helping with the quickness of things, and for that I apologize.

-Durelin
Old 10-28-2005, 02:21 PM   #604
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Little (or no) opinion. If you ask me, you'll find that I think that any time the game ends will be melencholly. I love my dwarf...he's quite fun to work with. But I guess all things must come to an end.

Actually, I was kind of looking forward to a battle with the Dwarves in it. Skald and Bror would make an excellent team, especially if one of them got wounded. Arry's the better writer, so I think it'd be great if I had a chance to wound or...well, I don't want to kill him...Bror and then see a reaction. On the other hand, it would also be really cool to be able to write something like that for Bror.

So, I guess my opinion is that we let the Dwarves fight...at least some.

-- Folwren
Old 10-28-2005, 02:21 PM   #605
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I have to say I am quite anti this. I think that the Ost in Edhil elves have waited a long time for things to get going for them and now it seems it has been for nothing. Personally speaking I have at least 75% of my posting and backstory as preparation for the refugee stage.

I mean it is your game and up to you but if this is going to happen I may as well kill off my char now and cut my losses time-wise.

Old 10-28-2005, 02:55 PM   #606
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I am very sorry my game has been a waste of your time, Mithalwen.

So be it, we continue.

I apologize ahead of time for what will undoubtedly be continued rather sporadic posting from myself.

-Durelin
Old 10-28-2005, 08:18 PM   #607
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
First, let me clarify something - Sauron's army is not driven back by the Dwarves and Elves. The Dwarves in Khazad-dum will rush out to keep Sauron's army from overpowering the Elves from Lindon. Sauron's army turns and chases/battles the Khazad Dwarves back to the West Gate, where the Dwarves retreat beneath the mountain and shut the doors against intrusion.

I would expect that this (when Sauron's army's eye is turned away from them and toward the Khazad Dwarves) is when Elrond et al will pick up what refugees they can find and make for a safe haven. (which will turn out to be the hidden valley that will become Imladris).

I would like to have a battle scene for my character, Riv.

So, it seems to me any Elves of Ost-in-edhil who want to die off can certainly do that. The Dwarves and Lindon representative can then probably finish off their part of the game in their own manner.

How does that sound?
Old 10-28-2005, 08:49 PM   #608
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
I've been wondering all this while how Elrond (who hadn't resided in the area he's presently in) would know to head toward the Imladris site.

Do you think that one of the refugees his troops pick up can be the prompt for them heading in that direction? Mithalwen - that could be one of your characters, yes?!

Once the Khazad Dwarves have drawn off Sauron's army's attack on the Lindon Elves, there will need to be a quick decision made on where to go. Elrond's forces might also need to be alerted to other places where refugees from the city have gone to hide themselves away - perhaps along the way?

Sauron's forces, it seems to me, will not chase after the refugees but continue their leader's course in wanting to overrun, destroy, control Eriador (Sauron is bent on defeating and destroying the Lindon Elves, too). As I recall, it is only when Tar-Minastir send troops led by Admiral Ciryatur from Numenor that Sauron's army is defeated and he retreats to Mordor.

So, I'll go with piosenniel's suggestion - the Elves who wish to die in the batlle for the city of Ost-in-edhil can certainly do so, but I'd like a chance to get the refugees together and started toward Elrond's new digs. It shouldn't take us too long to accomplish this.

Opinions - anyone else?
Old 10-28-2005, 08:54 PM   #609
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Um...I can't speak for Arry, but I'm thinking that we Dwarves aren't going to be wanting to tromp all the way to Imladris with all you elves. We'll stick with you elves once the ocrs have left everyone alone and we have the refugees fairly safe. Then I think that the Dwarves will leave. However, I'm only a little, young Dwarf, after all, so don't take the correctness of this assumption for granted.

And, Envinyatar - I think we're waiting on you to begin the march.

-- Folwren
Old 10-28-2005, 09:19 PM   #610
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

I had hoped not to have any "march" posts; that is, unless you want some "march" time for your character to develop something.

I was hoping to wait just until the city had fallen and do a short post of how the Lindon and Dwarf forces had arrived at the battle scene and attempted to repulse Sauron's forces. (We are presently at a nebulous time and distance from the battle.)

We could then have a few battle posts in which we are pushed back.

Then the Khazad Dwarves could stream from the West Gate and draw off Sauron's forces from us. At that point we can actually go into where the city was - it will be levelled and either pick up refugees there or retreat to some other site where we will run into refugees.

The Dwarves can then elect to leave at that point or continue with us back toward the mountains - you won't be able to get back in the West Gate, I think. you'll need to go over the mountains and in through the East Gate.

Does this sound OK?
Old 10-28-2005, 10:07 PM   #611
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Firefoot, I've finally filled in my save. I'm sorry to have kept you waiting for so long!
Child's post should happen before mine in actual time, but it's not a big deal.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:10 AM   #612
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Alrighty. That's fine. I just didn't know what you were planning and I only knew I was waiting for you. If you don't mind, then, I'm going to post a camp post...I don't think we need a marching post. Just for the sake of writing, understand. I'm assuming that we are near enough to at least see the smoke from the burning, are we not? Which direction, do you know, are we from the city? And we are planning on continuing on that next morning, right? So, if I write, it would not be out of place to be getting ready to go.

I won't be posting anything until later tonight, if today at all.

-- Folwren
Old 10-29-2005, 09:08 AM   #613
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
My save is also filled. Cainenyo has escaped a very unhappy Grimkul, who is now on the hunt for Kharn...
Old 10-29-2005, 09:26 AM   #614
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

We're at least a full day's march from the city. As I said, our timeline is vague, so that as the city falls at the end of the battle we can coordinate it with that event.

We are south of the city. And sure - we can continue on the next morning . . .
Old 10-29-2005, 11:25 AM   #615
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
I am very sorry my game has been a waste of your time, Mithalwen.
-Durelin
That is not what I said. But certainly I will have wasted time unnecessarily if the game is curtailed. And yes I do find that annoying since it will give me a 100% record of my RPG games here being aborted. I really hoped this one would work.

Envinyatar That would be great. I had planned for a fire blast to have killed the rest of Losrian's family save the baby nephew. I have a post prepared for that .... how I am going to get them out of the city plausibly is something I haven't quite worked out. But I can either be vague or work something out if you want to meet her outside the city.....

Old 10-29-2005, 12:04 PM   #616
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Mithalwen

So, Losrian and the baby will be alive . . .

Once Sauron's army is pulled away from the Lindon Elves we'll head into the city and then north and east toward the mountain range

Map of area here

maybe toward the Hollin Ridge. I was thinking of borrowing a couple of Dwarves (NPC's) who could lead us there.

Maybe we could find your characters in a wooded area just north of the city? A place where her family might have gotten wood for crafting and the shafts your character might have used to fit her arrow points to . . . just a thought. There might be some shelters there built and used by the Elves if their wood harvesting took longer than a day's time.

Just a thought . . . we can go with whatever you think up.

- E -
Old 10-29-2005, 12:28 PM   #617
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

THank you for the map - most helpful..

I think I can work with that scenario .....

Time to kill off the rest of the folks then

Old 10-30-2005, 04:35 PM   #618
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Since I reappeared before the battle was over I thought I'd post. But I'm a little confused as to whats happening now, is the RPG going to end when the city has been destroyed? And, though this might seem an odd question, how do we know when that will have happened? Will a person with an in charge character announce it somehow so that characters with ongoing or related storylines can wrap them up?
Old 10-30-2005, 09:44 PM   #619
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

My save is filled. Firefoot, Kharn has realized Grimkul's murderous intentions.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:57 PM   #620
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

The city has been overrun. It is essentially destroyed.

All survivors will be making their way to the surrounding countryside to the West of the city. Anyone who wishes may have their character run into Maegisil and Sairien. Maegisil will be holding on to his sanity enough to be gathering up the survivors as best he can. He will tell them that there is still hope in Lindon, and perhaps even in the Dwarves and Lorien, even if he does not really believe it...
Old 11-03-2005, 07:23 PM   #621
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
And now, Celebrimbor has been slain. However, Angoroth has fled the city, and slain himself in the cold north sometime later.

I now leave the command of the hordes to Ulrung, Child.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:39 AM   #622
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Encai - I won't be having a chance to post much this weekend, so I'm going to be writing something up when I get home from school which will include Kharn's demise. So if you want to get something in before that, please do. If you put up a Save, I'll be vague at the start of my post to accomodate for that.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:09 AM   #623
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Firefoot, it's fine if you just get right to it, since Kharn is as good as dead with the way Grimkul's acting. Plus, I've been somewhat neglecting Glutkask, so I'd like to get back to him. Speaking of which: Child, do you still want there to be some interaction between Glutkask and Ulrung?
Old 11-04-2005, 03:14 PM   #624
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Sting

I've brought the Lindon troops and their Dwarf allies to just about 3 miles from the burning city.

Sauron's troops have started toward us as we advance toward the city. Let's put up a good fight against them, though we will be beaten back from our advance.

Orcs and other baddies feel free to post your attack against us if you wish.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:20 PM   #625
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Okay, I'd say Grimkul is officially mad. I haven't decided if he's going to die yet or not, but for now, he's engaged in battle with the Dwarves.

Oh, and Ulwakh... not sure what's going on with him at the moment. Last I left him he was wandering around the city somewhere. Later this weekend I'll put up a post dealing with him. Like Grimkul, I haven't decided whether he's going to live or die...
Old 11-04-2005, 03:43 PM   #626
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I have filled my save and got Losrian plus small child to the wood somewhat implausibly but the kid needed a break.... and her life will be so much more difficult having to cope with the spoilt little brat . I do hope to tidy it up a bit but I wanted to get it basically sorted since I dunno if I will be able ot post again or much before Wednesday - I am off to Barcelona on Sunday for a couple of days on a work junket.

Envinyatar - do with Losrian what you will if it suits your purpose short of killing her or selling her to a passing orc.

Old 11-04-2005, 04:08 PM   #627
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

What a dratted time to loose internet at home...right when it starts getting interesting again!

I may or may not be able to post until Tuesday, I'm not sure. Until then, Arry - use my character as necessary.

Pio, will you please tell those in the Numenorian thread that I'm missing until later? I don't have time now.

-- Folwren

Done. This is Child but I managed to get here before Pio! Good luck with your internet, Folwren.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 11-05-2005 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:17 AM   #628
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Envinyatar,

I have placed a post right under yours describing Ulrung's response to the news that there are new visitors about to camp on his doorstep. The baddies are now rushing out to meet you. Feel free to engage.

Sauron's troops are not in the best shape. As you say, some are fanning out over the plane on their own, not any kind of an organized force. I think some are still looting on the back streets of the city and don't give a hoot who is coming. Even Ulrung's so-called organized solidiers are pretty haphazard. A great many of the horses and battle chariots are laden down with booty which should make them slower and less adept.

While Ulrung hates Elves, he has a grudging respect for Dwarves.....

Cami
Old 11-05-2005, 01:29 PM   #629
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Can someone place this in Arry's first save?

FYI: there are 20 Dwarves fighting, 100 Elves from Lorien with Celeborn, and 500, as I recall, Lindon Elves.

I was thinking that the battle would be fairly short in the writing. And in fact, Pio, you could soon have King Durin and his troops from under the mountain swarm out soon and draw off those attacking Elrond's troops.

Does this sound alright with everyone?

We can then get on to the gathering up of the refugees, the quick passage toward Rivendell, the return of the Dwarves who fought with the Lindon Elves to Khazad-dum and then whatever wind-up posts are needed for the game.

Thoughts?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Envinyatar’s post

The black tide swarmed against the Elven troops. At first Lord Elrond’s lines held and perhaps even advanced in small increments. Sauron’s troops, though, were relentless and more numerous than the Lindon scouts had reported. The Orcs and Men were fueled by their victory against the city and the blood of their foes that had already bathed their blades.

Elrond’s warriors fanned out; the warriors on each wing pushing forward as far as they were able, extending their formation like the horns on a great bull’s head. Their foes were funneled in and toward the grouping of Dwarves and Celeborn’s Elves that stood firm against them and then fell back slowly.

It was Lord Elrond’s intent to catch the foe between the pincer like extensions of his own troops and squeeze in on them, killing as many of them as he could. For a brief while, his strategy worked. And it might have continued so save for the fact that the Orc and Mannish ranks swelled again and again as their captains pushed them from their looting of the city and against the new threat.

‘Regroup!’ he ordered his captains.

The thinned out lines of Lindon troops pulled back into a tighter formation from which they charged again and again in smaller groups, throwing panic into their foe as their great horses trampled through their unorganized ranks.

----------

Orëmir’s ranks of bowmen sent a storm of arrows hurtling against Sauron’s army felling as many as they could. As the lines of Orcs and Men drew close, half the bowmen drew their swords and charged against them; while the remaining bowmen fell back a little and rapidly firing arrow after arrow continued to pick off individual targets.

Heaps of dead and dying Orcs and Men dotted the plain before the Lindon Elves and the Dwarves. But it was not enough. There were too many of the foul warriors. Lord Elrond and Lord Celeborn’s troops fell back slowly against the onslaught.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:04 PM   #630
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
OK . . . Envinyatar, I've placed your post in my old SAVE.

Firefoot

I'm going to post that you've killed a Dwarf near my character. Bror and I will go after you. I was thinking we'd give you a heavy whack to the head with the flat of our axe blade.

You can either die in your own post or rally and I'll leave a SAVE then for Folwren so her character can do you in.

Just let me know.

-- Arry

---------------

Edit --- post is filled. Grimkul's been given a mighty whack to his head. Bror (Folwren's character) is still there - you can have another go at him if you like ro have your character die a glorious Orcish death.

Skald's gone on toward the Easterlings, ready to cut off a few at the knees!

Last edited by Arry; 11-05-2005 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:01 PM   #631
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Envinyatar and others

I'll wait for a day or so, to see who wants to post in the present battle scene; then, I'll have King Durin rush out with a large army of Dwarves from from the Western Gate and assail Sauron's army from the rear, drawing them off from Elrond and Celeborn's troops.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:12 PM   #632
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Thumbs up

Arry, looks good. I'll have a post up later today. (To kill or not to kill...?)
Old 11-08-2005, 10:36 AM   #633
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Well, I'm back - for the time being.

I'm still thinking about what I should write if I post.

Firefoot - you've left Grimkul just lying there. Does that mean that Bror can go ahead an finish him off?

Arry, were you wanting anything to happen to Bror at the time, or would it be just as well for you if at least I made it through pretty much unscathed?

-- Folwren
Old 11-08-2005, 12:19 PM   #634
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I've written a post. . .Firefoot, if you don't want Grimkul killed (I don't see how he's going to survive), then I can change that first paragraph to make it not sound like I just killed him, but rather killed another orc.

If anyone else (Arry, particularly) wants me to write or change anything in that post, just say.

-- Folwren
Old 11-08-2005, 02:49 PM   #635
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Folwren - I didn't intend for him to die quite yet. I wanted to write another post which would include his death - I didn't have enough time when I wrote up the post for Ulwakh.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:11 PM   #636
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Okay, that's fine. I'll go back and have Bror leave Grimkul, and then, whenever you have time, you can have another Dwarf of Elf kill him. . .or whatever you plan to do.

Alright, then, post Edited. Does that work for you, Firefoot? I can change it again, if need be, you know.

-- Folwren

Last edited by Folwren; 11-08-2005 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:07 PM   #637
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

King Durin's troops are harassing Sauron's troops from the rear. Pulling them away from the Lindon Elves and the other Dwarves who stayed with them.

I would say it is at least a day later than Skald and Bror's present encounters . . . so the Lindon Elves and the Dwarves with them should be somewhat exhausted by now.

Anyway - you should be able to get out of your tight spot and head a little north west of the fallen city to avoid Sauron's troops for the most part and hopefully to hook up with some refugees.

~*~ Pio
Old 11-10-2005, 02:36 PM   #638
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Does anyone else wish to post before I pull the Lindon/Lorien Elves and the Dwarves away from the present battle?

The Orcs and Easterlings should have turned now to go after the large Dwarven force that has come at them from behind.

We will head north, bypassing the fallen city a little to the west and then begin to pick up refugees.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:55 AM   #639
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

My SAVE is filled. Elrond and troops are headed to the north of the city - a wooded area as he described it, hoping to find some refugees.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:48 PM   #640
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
My SAVE is filled.

The Dwarves are helping to find any refugees that might have been hiding on the western outskirts of the city. I think we probably won't look there long as Sauron's troops that are still in the city should be moving westward as Envinyatar said.

So - this is an opportunity for an Elf or elves to be found and taken along.

Or did you want us to find you further north? If so - I can emend my post to move us along to there.

Let me know.

- Arry