The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
The Mouth of Sauron
Wight

The Mouth of Sauron has just left Hobbiton.
Why didn't Gandalf or Galadriel warn Aragorn about Boromir ?

The Fellowship left Lorien to proceed down the Anduin by boat. The next day, Gwaihir brought Gandalf to Lorien, where Galadriel warned Gandalf that Boromir was coming under the unhealthy influence of the Ring.

Armed with that knowledge, why didn't Gandalf immediately send Gwaihir down river to warn Aragorn ? Come to think of it, why didn't Galadriel warn Aragorn even before the Company set off ? She certainly had plenty elven-muscle at her disposal to imprison Boromir.
The Mouth of Sauron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #2
deagol
Pile O'Bones

deagol has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

It seems to me that Gandalf had something of an existential approach to the fate of the Ring and the fellowship. He believed Bilbo (and, by extension, Frodo) was "meant" to have it. He seemed resigned to the notion that it was the hobbits' burden to bear, where elves and men had failed before (and dwarves didn't care). It was Gandalf who foresaw (or guessed) Smeagol's role in the affair and I think he knew the fellowship had to break at some point. This is not to say that Gandalf had actually envisioned all these things, but I think he knew that the very nature of the Ring itself would thwart whatever plans they made, and that he was counting on things he could not see (There is more about them than it would appear).

When I think of Galadriel's motives I am always reminded of the admonition, Do not seek counsel of the elves, for they will say both yes and no. Ultimatey I think they were all counting on the hobbits -- these odd little creatures who were so full of surprises -- to save their bacon. I think they knew the best laid plans of wizards and elves oft go awry, and they were trusting the intrinsic "good" to win out somehow -- even if they could not see the way of it.
deagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:41 AM   #3
Erendis
Shade of Carn Dűm

Location: Imloth Melui,with Yoreth's sister...Just finished the Panadol stock.
Erendis has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Erendis Send a message via Skype™ to Erendis
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth of Sauron View Post

Armed with that knowledge, why didn't Gandalf immediately send Gwaihir down river to warn Aragorn ? Come to think of it, why didn't Galadriel warn Aragorn even before the Company set off ? She certainly had plenty elven-muscle at her disposal to imprison Boromir.
Wouldn't both of these moovements be quite bold?In a Fellowship where all balances between its members were on the verge of breaking,capturing one of them under the blame of being possesed by the Ring would be the final heat.

And even if Gandalf sent Gwahir to Araagorn,first of all,they would wonder why Gandalf did not come with him.Secondly,since it was not certain yet whether Boromir would give into temptation ,the warning must have been personnal and discreet.And what would be more suitable than a giant eaggle?
Old 04-22-2010, 06:43 AM   #4
Selmo
Shade of Carn Dűm

Selmo has just left Hobbiton.
Did Aragorn need to be warned?

He knew the Ring's power and he knew Boromir's character.
He would have been well aware of the possibility of Boronir falling to the lure of the Ring. Boromir had great strength of will; perhaps Aragorn thought that he could hold the lure of the Ring at bay until the quest was over.

Selmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Poetic Redemption

Taking Boromir by "elven muscle" to quote The Mouth of Sauron, would have destroyed the delicate balance of power between Elves and Men. Elves after all aren't supposed to lead the war anymore, their time being very near towards the end. As for Gwaihir interfering by bringing Gandalf to the Company to warn them of Boromir, that would also have meant that Boromir would not die, and instead have a slim chance of return to Gondor. With a mad father and his own will maddened by the Ring, consider the possibilities... Gondor would have divided its effort towards kidnapping the Ringbearer and keeping Sauron at bay. And even if Galadriel manages to keep Boromir in bonds, what would she do? Elven-counseling? Somehow I don't think that'd work.

Boromir's death is more than poetic justice, it's poetic redemption. I think JRRT's all for giving his non-Dark Lord characters a chance of redemption. Boromir's death is not in vain; without it, the chain of events that are caused by Merry and Pippin would not have happened. Those two might not be given a chance to grow and live up to their potential. The Ents might never have woken up.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:18 PM   #6
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

and who's to say the Galadriel didn't warn Aragorn?

Certainly he divined Boromir's intention soon enough, but post-hoc - therefore was he giving Boromir the benefit of the doubt ? Kingly but dangerous!
Old 05-23-2010, 06:06 AM   #7
skytree
Haunting Spirit

skytree has just left Hobbiton.
Frodo had a sense of it, even before Lothlorien but he chose to let events play out, maybe a premonition or sense of fate. If he hadn't maybe there wouldn't have been the sundering of the fellowship which led to Merry and Pippin rousing the Ents and Aragorn taking his rightful place as the leader of men in the final defense of Gondor.
skytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
Student of War
Newly Deceased

Student of War has just left Hobbiton.
The use of power is measured in its restraint. Boromir wouldnt be damed on his disposition alone. He had a choice to make still. I think doing things preemptively are acts of evil.
Student of War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:50 PM   #9
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Would Gwaihir have even bothered doing this for Gandalf? Certainly he owed the wizard, but what did he owe to Aragorn to deliver a warning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth of Sauron View Post
Galadriel warned Gandalf that Boromir was coming under the unhealthy influence of the Ring.
Unhealthy influence doesn't mean there is a guarantee of action (as others have said). Granted the race of man had failed in the past to withstand the Ring's sway over them, but that didn't mean Boromir would fall. Wise as Galadriel is she didn't have the choice to detain Boromir. Lindale points out keeping Boromir would have destroyed the balance between men and elves. As it was the men in Rohan and Gondor feared the "witch" who lived in the Golden Wood.

What good would keeping Boromir have done? Likewise, what good would warning the Fellowship have done? What could they have done, leave Boromir in the wild to keep him away from Frodo? Things perhaps could have gone smoother for the Fellowship had they been able to see all ends, but there's a destiny set before each one of them it seems and a warning would have upset that.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:06 PM   #10
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindale View Post
Boromir's death is not in vain; without it, the chain of events that are caused by Merry and Pippin would not have happened. Those two might not be given a chance to grow and live up to their potential. The Ents might never have woken up.
Yes it would, yes they would, and yes they would.
Meaning I don't think Merry & Pip would have died if not for Boromir's intervention. Those Orcs had orders to take any halflings alive, hadn't they? And so they did, and all of Boromir's valour couldn't prevent them - all he achieved with his last stand was to atone for his earlier fall for the lure of the Ring and save his own soul, so to speak (which is quite enough for me, don't get me wrong). Otherwise, the story would have gone on just the same if Boromir hadn't crossed swords with a single Orc at Parth Galen - at least until the fall of Isengard. Later in Gondor, of course, things would have got interesting again.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:37 PM   #11
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I agree with everything that was said above, and I just want to add that it was probably meant for Boromir to go through that test. Many of the main characters go through it, and even the secondary ones - like Faramir and Denethor.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #12
Puddleglum
Wight

Puddleglum has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
all he achieved with his last stand was to atone for his earlier fall for the lure of the Ring and save his own soul.
Agree he did achieve that, and it was the most immediate (and greatest) good that came from his stand.

But that was not *ALL* that it accomplished. In a strange turn, Boromir's Last Stand ALSO saved the life of his brother !!!
  • Because of Boromir's heroic self-sacrifice, Pippin felt a debt of honor and offered his Life's service to Denethor & Gondor in payment of his debt.
  • For that reason, AND ONLY FOR THAT REASON, Pippin was at Denethor's side when he commanded that Faramir be burned alive.
  • And, thus, he was in position to both encourage Beregond to abandon his post (postponing Faramir's death for a bit) and to seek out Gandalf (in the midst of battle) who was the ONLY one able to save Faramir's life from burning.
Puddleglum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #13
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
There are many significant reason for Boromir's death and the way it happened. However, the question WHY could be interpreted in two diffrent ways - because of what, and what for. The posts above answered the "what for" did Boroir have to die the way he did, but none really explain because of what. I guess that Gandalf decided to let Boromir choose his own path rather then pointing it to him. I know that that stateent is really lame; does anyone have any other ideas?
Old 11-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #14
Puddleglum
Wight

Puddleglum has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I guess that Gandalf decided to let Boromir choose his own path rather then pointing it to him. I know that that statement is really lame; does anyone have any other ideas?
As I recall (books not with me just now), Gandalf's phrasing was "Galadriel warned me he (Boromir) was in danger. I am glad he escaped in the end. Merry & Pippin's coming was GOOD if only for that reason."

Boromir was in danger of losing his soul (as it were). Locking him up (esp on a mere "fear" that he would do evil) would have, I think, made it almost certain that he would become ruled by arrogant pride (and hate).

Consider, by way of contrast, Saruman. He also was in danger, and became ruled by hate and pride (as is described in "The Voice of Saruman"). But EVEN THEN Gandalf and Frodo desired his healing. Gandalf (or Galadriel or Elrond) "could have" clapped him in irons (so to speak) when he overtook Saruman in Dunland - but he didn't.
And Frodo made this desire explicit after Saruman tried to murder him in front of Bag End when he said "He has fallen, and his cure is beyond us. But I would spare him still in hope that he may find it."

I believe Gandalf recognized that, when dealing with incarnates (ie, those with Fea & Hroa, spirit and body) matters are rarely cut and dried.
  • The main purpose of the quest was to destroy the ring and defeat Sauron.
  • But that was not an "at all costs, even of damming the souls of as many Eruhini as it takes" quest.
  • So Gandalf repeatedly (and Frodo too) accepted increased risks to the quest, in hopes of preserving or saving/curing the souls of people (Boromir, Gollum, Saruman, etc).
Puddleglum is offline   Reply With Quote