The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-27-2003, 11:18 AM   #1
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe An odd picture

I was looking at these screencaps from the RotK trailer at the following <A HREF="http://orlandomultimedia.net/images/screencap/rotk/tv/rotk_tvad.html" TARGET=_blank>link</A><BR>when I noticed this <A HREF="http://orlandomultimedia.net/images/screencap/rotk/tv/rotk_tvad_006.jpg" TARGET=_blank>picture</A> that I can't get my head around. Is that Eowyn? And what is she doing?? <BR>Any thoughts?<p>[ September 27, 2003: Message edited by: Daisy Brambleburr ]
Old 09-27-2003, 11:53 AM   #2
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It looks to me like she is either donning or removing her helmet very quickly. My guess is that this is when she reveals herself to the Witch King, saying she is no man, but a woman, just before she and Merry slay him.<P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 11:53 AM   #3
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

She is taking off her helmet. I assume she is revealing herself to the Witch King.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 01:06 PM   #4
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It is wierd. It looks to me to be rather bright and cheery. Blue sky with puffy clouds in the background too.<P>I think it may be a preduction shot and not from the film.<P>By the way, the link doesn't work for me as the sight doesn't allow remote linking. Cutting and pasting this in works though.<BR> <A HREF="http://orlandomultimedia.net/images/screencap/rotk/tv/rotk_tvad_006.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://orlandomultimedia.net/images/screencap/rotk/tv/rotk_tvad_006.jpg</A> <P>H.C.<P>H.C.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:12 PM   #5
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm not too sure about the witchking thing. Your right, it does look like she's removing a helmet but I'm not sure if her facial expression or the lighting is right, unless the picture was captured at an odd time. If she was facing the Witchking I'd think that everything would be darker and she'd look much more grim and determind. But I can't think of any other explanation at the moment. But HC could be right, it could be a production shot. And also, thanks for the link.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:14 PM   #6
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It looks to me like she is revealing herself to the witchking.
Old 09-27-2003, 02:56 PM   #7
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>If she was facing the Witchking I'd think that everything would be darker and she'd look much more grim and determind. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Actually, much of the literature and accounts of warriors in battle have them charging with great big smiles on their faces, even more so than when normally happy. Perhaps she is speaking in defiance to the Witch King, smiling because she has duped him and is now about to meet her death in battle (as she believes). If indeed she is so close to her longed-for destiny, I would think a great big smile to be absolutely appropriate . I think it is apt and observant of Miranda to don such an expression as that when engaged in the heat of conflict. Far from the stereotypical "grim warrior," the rush of battle would evoke the same response in me, IMO, especially if I had been shut up for ages, longing for it. Go Eowyn!<BR>(If it is indeed a production shot and not the confrontation with the Witch King, well, then...who knows? ) <P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta<P>P.S. I am rather amused by the open-mouthed sequence of Legolas shots below that, though! I ache to add a caption to one, complete with operatic lyrics...heh heh! <p>[ September 27, 2003: Message edited by: Lyta_Underhill ]
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 03:51 PM   #8
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Personally, I think that is the perfect smile for the witch king. Just imagine the laugh that accompanies it. The entire battle is too bright from the clips I've seen. The darkness from Mordor is mere cloud cover.<P>Iarwain
Old 09-27-2003, 05:52 PM   #9
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

"It seemed that Dernhelm laughed, and the clear voice was like the ring of steel.<BR>...Backwards she sprang as the huge shape crashed to ruin, vast wings outspread, crumpled on the earth; and with its fall the shadow passed away. A light fell about her, and her hair shone in the sunrise."<P>So, maybe it is somewhat accurate.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 06:32 PM   #10
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was going through the trailer again and towards the end there are a series of very quick shots, one of which is Eowyn removing her helmet. It looks very much like the pic above, so I think folks are right here of the scene it is from.<P>H.C.
Old 09-27-2003, 09:11 PM   #11
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Question

Yes, the book portrayed light shining down on her hair. I think that might work for the Witch-King, but somehow I pictured her more desperate looking. Maybe this is after a victory?
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 09:35 PM   #12
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting

I just reads the scene with Eowyn standing up to the witchking and I am certain that she was not smiling, for the way Tolkien had written her lines it seems that she has a very determined and focoused attitude, plus, why would she be cheery after Theoden was just killed?
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 11:03 PM   #13
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

She didn't know that Theoden had been killed, she knew that he had been thrown by his horse, and she was trying to drive the Witch-king away from him.<P>Most seasoned warriors laugh at war and battle, since they know that they will eventually die anyway, they also just laugh at their death. I would consider Eowyn a warrior, and she came to that realization a while back. She would be laughing at the Witch-king because, for the first time in her life, she had been treated completely as a man. The Witch-king didn't know she was a woman until she told him, and I think that Eowyn could have been laughing because of that also.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 03:27 AM   #14
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

I understand your points, Lyta and Finwe, but when I look at that pic, something just isn't right. This is hardly the smile I picture for such an occasion. That's the kind of smile you don when you say: "How do you do, Mr Witch King"
Old 09-28-2003, 04:21 AM   #15
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well I don't think we can really judge until we see the actual film and how this part is portrayed. I myself am unsure- I shall sit on the fence on this one.<BR>But indeed, those Leggy shots are rather amusing.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:15 AM   #16
The Shoulder

Tolkien

She takes of her helmet... I also think it is when she reveals herself to the witch king...
Old 09-29-2003, 07:53 PM   #17
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

I don't get why everyone thinks that Eowyn is smiling in that shot. It looks more like a look of grim determination to me. And yes, the shot is almost certainly from her encounter with the Witch King. <P>If I am wrong, and she is smiling, it is no doubt a semi-victorious smile as she reveals herself as a woman, and therefore one to whom the Witch King is vulnerable. Presumably, Jackson will have the Witch King arrogantly declaring to her just before this that no living man may hinder him.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:07 PM   #18
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Sting

It looks to me that all of those pictures have been super imposed... Like her head was put on someone else's body. Take another look, you'll see what I mean.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:26 PM   #19
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Sting

Okay, I just saw the trailer, and although it does look like superimposition, it is really in there.<P>It is Eowyn taking off her helmet quickly and her face is one of wrath not, joy.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:37 PM   #20
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

That looks like her cow-eyes for Aragorn in that smile...
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Old 10-02-2003, 06:03 AM   #21
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It probably is the scene when she reveals herself to the witch king but the look on her face looks more like the look of someone who has been offered a nice cold drink after filming a tiring scene.<P>Also she looks too feminine to fool anyone into thinking she could have been Dernhelm.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:51 AM   #22
Aduyuldaiel-MirkwoodPrincess
Haunting Spirit

Aduyuldaiel-MirkwoodPrincess has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aduyuldaiel-MirkwoodPrincess
Eye

quite the baffeling picture...i wish i knew for sure...but i guess ill just have to wait for the movies
Old 10-03-2003, 08:39 PM   #23
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I still don't know how one can laugh and not smile...