The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-13-2002, 03:20 PM   #1
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril Bored of the rings?!

No, this is not be saying that I am bored of Tolkien's world!

I don't know if this is the case outside the UK, but there is a book called "Bored of the Rings". Has anyone read it? If so is it good and is it a good buy?

I don't really know if this was the right place to post this, but it's here now and I have no doubt that if I am wrong someone will tell me about it. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 03:34 PM   #2
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Bored of the Rings was published by the Harvard Lampoon and is filled with juvenile, scatological and puerile humor. In short, I laughed until I cried.
Old 02-13-2002, 03:34 PM   #3
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

My brother wants me to read it. Apparently it is a comical spoof of LOTR. Still working on Lost Tales I & II though, so it'll have to wait.
Old 02-13-2002, 03:40 PM   #4
Glenethor
Wight

Glenethor has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I read that a long, long, time ago. Dildo Buggers! Arrowroot son of Arrow Shirt! Tim Benzedrine ("it melts in your brains, not in your hands!"). I remember, having had more 'Old Toby' and 'Old Winyards' as was good for me, just howling with laughter as I read it. Almost burst a blood vessel I was laughing so hard! I want to read it again, so I'll probably try and get it off Amazon.com.
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ February 13, 2002: Message edited by: Glenethor ]

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Glenethor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 03:41 PM   #5
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Sting

Does that mean that you give it your approval
Mithadan?

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Old 02-13-2002, 03:54 PM   #6
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Some might find it offensive. It certainly is not "politically correct". But it was very funny, at least to me.
Old 02-13-2002, 04:19 PM   #7
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting

I've heard of it but haven't really had any interest in reading it. It's supposed to be very juvenile in its humor. If Harvard Lampoon is anything like Senior Lampoon then I definately don't want to read it.

Hey, have any of you read "Roadkill of Middle-earth"? I read a few quips from it and it made me laugh. Think it's worth troubling the library over?
Old 02-13-2002, 06:04 PM   #8
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

"Suddenly the Wizard sprang to his feet. 'The knob,' he cried..."
[Goodgulf's actions to open the gates]
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

That scene alone was worth the price of admission. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
It still makes me laugh till I cry reading it again.
But as a whole the book is crude, rude, and socially unacceptable.
Old 02-13-2002, 06:11 PM   #9
Elendur
Wight

Elendur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elendur
Sting

The knob!
Old 02-13-2002, 07:12 PM   #10
Maltagaerion
Haunting Spirit

Maltagaerion has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Read it once when I was a teen....that was 15 - 20 years ago. I've forgotten most of it now.
Old 02-13-2002, 08:38 PM   #11
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Friends used to read me parts of it to offend me.. but I was young and easily offended. I'd probably love it now.
Old 02-13-2002, 08:42 PM   #12
Mayla Took
Wight

Mayla Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mayla Took
Ha ha!! That sounds like the kind of "comic relief" book that I would immensely enjoy! I have never heard of it, but I will now keep my eyes open for it!
Bilbo to Merry and Pippin

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"
Gandalf to Pippin in Moria

E-mail me at mailto:ThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.comThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.com</A>
Oh, and please rate me. THANKS!
Mayla Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 11:31 PM   #13
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think it was written in 1972 or '73, back when LOTR had it's last great wave of popularity.

I remember it as being pretty funny and "naughty" back then. It may seem kind of dated now with all the '60's-'70's references.

Pick it up cheap and give it a whirl.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 02:22 AM   #14
Sindalómiel
Wight

Sindalómiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Sindalómiel
Sting

I read Bored of the Rings when I was 8, and didn't get it, because I hadn't read LOTR, and coz a lot of it was over my head. The bits I understood I thought was good though, but even at 8 I thought it was juvenile. I've managed to find our copy of it again, and will read it soon.
Old 02-14-2002, 05:53 AM   #15
Glenethor
Wight

Glenethor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I was brought up with a love for satire: Mad Magazine when I was in my early teens, and sharper satire as I got older. One of my favourite works of satire was the Rutles, Eric Idle's hilarious riffing on the Beatles. Members of Monty Python and SNL combined to make a truly hilarious movie, and I could see some serious Beatles fans getting upset. Yet, I don't have very many sacred cows, and as much as I love the Beatles, I laughed and laughed until I thought I would have a hernia.

Same with this book: I laughed and laughed because it was a fairly well written, funny, original, satirical look at the LoTR phenomena that first arose in the late 60's early 70s. As an act of satire, though, it is definitely going to offend someone. That is one of the goals of satire.

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Glenethor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 08:29 AM   #16
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Sting

Goodgulf (Gandalf) speaking of Sorhed (Sauron)
Quote:
His Dark Carbuncle of Doom has swollen and soon will come to a head, covering the face of Lower Middle Earth with his ill humors. If we are to survive, the boil must be soundly lanced before Sorhed begins his own loathsome sqeeze play.
Irreverent, disgusting, dated, and overall very funny.
Old 02-14-2002, 02:08 PM   #17
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Silmaril

Definintly worth buying then? Most of you say it is good?

Old 02-14-2002, 04:58 PM   #18
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

I am an obessive Beatles fan, but I loved the Rutles. Especially the bit that had George Harrison doing a cameo appearance, when they lampooned the blatant theft that was going on at Apple.
I love immature humour, I engage at it daily (in case anyone hasn't caught on to that fact yet).
Today, as we all know, is Valentine's Day, and I celebrated by bringing a bag of lollies to school. I proceeded to offer each one of my male friends and teachers some candy by saying "would you like a Blow-Pop, darling?" in a velvety, British rock-star voice. It's not my fault that the candy manufacturers came up with such an unfortunate name for their product! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
So yes, I would probably love Bored of the Rings.

[ February 14, 2002: Message edited by: Lush ]
Old 02-14-2002, 05:30 PM   #19
KayQy
Wight

KayQy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to KayQy
Sting

They seem to have revived BotR, I found it recently at a bookstore. Only read to Old Man Willow (or whatever they called it) at the time. My favorite part so far was in the intro (paraphrased here): "We looked at what we had written and realized that it was a clever, insightful, educated satire—completely unsellable...So we scrapped it and wrote this instead." [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
I don't have very many sacred cows
Is that where "don't have a cow" came from? Dang, you learn something new every day.

--OC Supertones, "Wilderness"

"Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter." -- Max Beerbohm
KayQy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 09:23 PM   #20
Pips
Haunting Spirit

Pips has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, now I'll have to pick up a copy. I've seen it in the book store, just didn't give it any thought.
Pips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 12:03 PM   #21
the_master_of_puppets
Haunting Spirit

the_master_of_puppets has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

my mother told me about that book. But i am a huge tolkien fan and i was worried reading it might offend me. Is it recomended then, and if so any1 know where in the UK u can buy it?
the_master_of_puppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 01:21 PM   #22
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Silmaril

Hey! Master of Puppets, you can but it in all large WH Smiths and in Woolworths I believe.

Old 02-16-2002, 01:23 PM   #23
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Sting

Oops! That should say "buy"! Oops! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Old 02-16-2002, 02:28 PM   #24
the_master_of_puppets
Haunting Spirit

the_master_of_puppets has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

i'll have a look 4 them tomorrow: interesting way to start the hols [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] thanks btw.
the_master_of_puppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 03:54 PM   #25
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

Yeh, I saw Bored Of The Rings in the shop, but decided to buy UT instead (probably a wiser and more worthwhile choice...) I would like to read Bored Of The Rings, but can't help wondering whether it's worth buying it. Thing is, I'll have to buy it to read it. Ack, decisions, decisions...I'll go to bed now and sleep on it - and wonder how to save up some money.
Old 08-29-2002, 05:32 PM   #26
Eol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Personally I like to "haunt" the used bookstores and Half.com if I am looking for anything that is remotely old. That is how I found a hardback with dustcover version of The Atlas of Middle-earth.

As to Bored, well I had learned of it about six years ago when surfing the internet, the book had gone of production. They may have brought it back because of its growing popularity.

I grew up with Mad magazine with my brothers and other related items. I also love a good satire( except doctor strangelove....too much for me.. not my can of beans). Another wonderful satire, but not related topic is Johnathan Swift's "A modest purposal". Definately dated, but still an excellent piece. Both satire will fly right over the heads of the younger audiance, but once you jaded with the world and its crudness and induendos, you will catch most everything.
It would be worth few bucks, but I would not recommend you buy it new if you are not sure that you would like it. And do not be worried if you will be offended or not, because you will, as it is a satire and is suppose to be crude.

[ August 29, 2002: Message edited by: Eol ]
Old 08-29-2002, 11:45 PM   #27
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I am reading it right now... and though it crosses many lines of "wrongness", I am laughing a lot.
I keep wanting to call Gimli, Gimlet, though.

I love the way that they changed Merry and Pippin around... they crack me up!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 12:07 AM   #28
Eol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

it may be crude, but you must go into with the intention of having a good laugh. Maybe I will read it later when I get a dirt cheap deal for it( less then 7 dollars for it).

yes, Eol is cheap, but Eol needs to eat. Eol cannot eat a book, though has tried several times.. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2002, 04:45 AM   #29
Tirned Tinnu
Wight

Tirned Tinnu has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I uh, er...remember when that came out. Everyone was reading it. I did too, of course, and found it outragiously funny. I loved the pics of Tolkien mixed in! (Please excuse me, I'n new here, and very very tired... I work nights and right now my brains are quite addled.) [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ August 30, 2002: Message edited by: Tirned Tinnu ]
Old 08-30-2002, 04:53 AM   #30
Ringwraith Number Two
Haunting Spirit

Ringwraith Number Two has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Indeed, Bored of the Rings is rather juvenile ,and made me laugh out loud. The descriptions of the hobbits at the party particularly had me trying to contain my laughter. I bought it last year, and it has travelled in a little circle of friends. I am anticapting its arrival any time now, as it is currently in France.

[ August 30, 2002: Message edited by: Ringwraith Number Two ]
Ringwraith Number Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 06:23 AM   #31
maleliel
Animated Skeleton

maleliel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I loved "Bored of the Rings"!!! I bought it after I read a bit in a shop and loved it! Yes it's pretty crude but that's what makes it so good! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] It did make me laugh out loud and that's why I like it!
Old 08-30-2002, 02:33 PM   #32
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Silmaril

Well, I did buy it, and found it incredibly funny! I recommend it to anyone who likes a good laugh, but is prepared to mock LotR a bit and not take it too seriously. I do know that you can view the whole thing (illegally of course) online, I'll try and find the site.

Old 09-04-2002, 07:39 PM   #33
LeGoLaSz gUrL
Animated Skeleton

LeGoLaSz gUrL has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to LeGoLaSz gUrL
Eye

I never heard of it before. Hmmm since im at the library, maybe i should check it out. I should be studying for my AP Euro test....bad me! lol ^^
LeGoLaSz gUrL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 08:34 PM   #34
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I can't believe where the author's came up with some of this stuff.
I just got past the part with "Treebeard"... "Ho, ho, ho" that was really funny. At first I wasn't liking it so much, but now I am finding it quite amusing.
It is out of print, I am borrowing it from a friend, but if it's at your library check it out. It's a very quick read - all three books in one book about the size of half of one of the original three.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 08:30 AM   #35
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I for one loved it. It was funny pretty much the whole way through, though I feel that it was a bit rushed after the breaking of the Fellowship. The song about the Elven maiden of Lorien (A spoof of Nimrodel) who was turned into a river, and Goodgulf Greyteeth’s (Gandalf )character, and Stomper’s (Strider) infatuation with the bulky Eorache (Eowyn) was also funny.

Wasn’t his published in America in the 1960’s? If so then did Tolkien get his hands on a copy and what did he think of it? I can only imagine…..

"Life is so beautiful"-&gt;Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 08:37 AM   #36
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

I love the part where Aragorn (whatever he is called) tries to scare the Nazgul off in Bree, and ends up dropping his sword and making them laugh!

Great!
Old 02-21-2003, 08:40 AM   #37
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, that was great Whee (Bree) reminded me very, much of those little, isolated American towns.

"Life is so beautiful"-&gt;Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 10:41 AM   #38
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

it was quite good. yeh, i liked the sword bit in bree
Old 02-21-2003, 02:33 PM   #39
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've heard a few quips from it but haven't had the interest in buying or borrowing it. I hardly ever like spoofs of any kind and I just don't think I'd want to read it (or have the time). Though I'm sure it'd be fun to borrow it and read a few parts from it to my mother, who is also a big LotR fan.
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 03:12 PM   #40
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

BOTR is quite awful and wonderful at the same time. For those of you who won't remember the 60's and early 70's, look for Serutan (Saruman). That was a popular laxative back then! And of course Bromosel (Boromir), also a stomach remedy! And I love the way they turned Arrowroot, Son of Arrowshirt (and he has many names.... ;=)) into a complete blunderer! Eorache (Eowyn) was horribly amusing, and the descriptions of the Boggies (Hobbits) were downright nasty! But it was very amusing on a very basic level, thus accessible to most! Not for the easily offended, but great for those who have to completely lose their sense of seriousness for a short span!

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote