The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-12-2005, 06:06 AM   #1
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Werewolf IIX - Tra la la lally, here down in the Saga, ha ha!

Our Village. Our unexpected sorrow. Here and lynched again. And what happened after.
Adventures of Twenty Villagers. The tale of the Werewolves, compiled by Various Villagers from their own observations and the accounts of their friends. What we did with the Black Beorning.

The hoped for Downfall
of the
Werewolves
and the
Return of the Cobbler

(as seen by the Villagers; being the memoirs of Members of the Barrowdowns, supplemented by the accounts of the Mods and the learning of the Admins.)

Together with extracts of various entertainments.

-------------------------

Welcome to Barrowdowns Werewolf, Version 8.0.
Rules are as set forth in the seven previous versions.

DAY and NIGHT shall be 24 hours in length. During the DAY, Villagers will choose one or more of their fellows whom they suspect to be beastly to lynch. During the NIGHT, Werewolves and Beorning will each choose one victim to slay.

Game ends when either all the Wolves and the Beorning are killed, or when the Wolf to Villager ratio is equal. In which case, I pity your poor hides.

DAYS end and NIGHTS begin at 12:00 Noon GMT. Or you can look at the time on the Moderator's post and count 24 hours from then.

Please keep your One Ring firmly on your finger during the remainder of the game. (Please stay invisible)

-------------------

Roles in this Village are:

Ordinary Villagers: Ords work during the DAY to make sure there are no more marauders by NIGHT. The usual method is killing one of their own.

Werewolves: Wolves communicate at NIGHT and only at NIGHT to choose one victim, and then PM their choice to the Mod. They can then stir up speculation during the DAY and snicker behind their furry paws.

Black Beorning: The Beorning turns into a bear and chooses one victim per NIGHT to kill. He could kill a Wolf, or he could kill an Ord. He wins only if he is the ONLY surviving Villager. Wolves and Beorning are not in league.

Hunter: The Hunter makes a choice of another Villager each NIGHT to take down with him if he is Werewolf Fodder or Lynched. Preferably a Beast.

Ranger: The Ranger chooses one Villager each NIGHT to protect from WOLF attacks. He is ineffectual against the Beorning.

Seer: The Seer chooses one Villager each NIGHT to dream about. It is then revealed to them if said Villager is Naughty or Nice.

Cobbler: The Cobbler hates his life so badly that he wants the WOLVES to win. He will do anything within his limited power to confuse the Villagers and so ensure a Werewolf victory, including letting himself be lynched. He does not know who the Wolves are. The Cobbler appears to be an innocent villager to the Seer.

Sherriffs: The Sherriffs are two individuals who know that the other is innocent. They can PM during the DAY, and the DAY only. How they choose to play these cards is up to them.

-----------------------------

Once you're dead, you're dead. Please refrain from posting either here or in the original thread.

Any OOC comments can be taken to the original thread. (Abscences, etc.)

Any game-related questions, please PM me and I will answer in the original thread.

Votes are irretractable, and must be on a seperate line like this:

++ODDWEN

Any aberrance from this rule will be punished with a squeaky hammer to the head and a desultory limerick with their name in it.

-----------------------
Our list of players is as follows:

1. Alcarillo - Bartender
2. Arcticstorm - Philosopher
3. littlemanpoet of Willowbottom* - Baker
4. Boromir88 - Town Coroner
5. CaptainofDespair - Shrew Farmer
6. Dancing Spawn of Ungoliant - Glass Blower
7. Durelin - Town Feline
8. Encaitare - Splenetic Lamenting Lover
9. Firefoot - Animal Artist
10. Gil-Galad - Garrisoned Soldier, tripling as Town Cryer & Gravekeeper
11. Gurthang - Annoying Animal Rights Activist (AARA)
12. Laitain - Minorly Annoying Minstrel
13. Lalaith - Soothsayer
14. Meneltarmacil - Ye Olde Knighte
15. Mithalwen - Blessed Cheesemaker
16. Mormegil - Alchemist
17. Nonnacedak - Ice Fisherman
18. SamwiseGamgee - Warg Historian
19. Saucepan Man, The - Burly Ex-Miner
20. Wilwarin538 - Butterfly Researcher

There are:

3 Werewolves
2 Sherriffs (who may reveal themselves)
1 Black Beorning
1 Cobbler
1 Seer
1 Hunter
1 Ranger/Guardian
10 Ordinary Villagers

It is now NIGHT one. DAY one will commence in 24 hours. Seer, please PM me with the Villager of your dreams. Wolves may communicate, Sherriffs may not.

Last edited by Oddwen; 08-13-2005 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Finished the roles
Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 06:01 AM   #2
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile of them...

Looking at my own reflection,
When suddenly it changes,
Violently it changes
Oh, no. There is no turning back now,
you've woken up the Werewolf in me.

-------------------

Day broke as usual on the small Village of Hamlet - cold, cold, cold. And cold. Did I mention cold? Well, it was the middle of winter high up on a mountain, so the frigidity was justified. It wasn't met with cheers of joy every day, that's all.
Villagers went about their early morning duties as usual, though niggling at the back of their minds was the feeling that something wasn't right.

Alcarillo felt it as he set up the barstools.
Arcticstorm felt it as he read his theology books.
littlemanpoet felt it as he baked Zali's bread and tried on her clothes.
Boromir88 thought about it as he investigated the death of a chicken.
CaptainofDespair felt it while he herded up his shrews in preparation for the shearing later that day.
Dancing Spawn felt it as she started her inferno and sorted her glass.
Durelin felt it as she ate one of the Captain's shrews.
Enca felt it, but thought it was another symptom of lost love.
Firefoot felt it as she readied her pencils to draw a shrew.
Gil-Galad almost thought about crying it to the town, but instead went about digging a grave for the chicken.
Gurthang felt it, and it made him even more irritable about the 'Poor, pooooor chicken'.
Laitaine wrote a song about it. In D-minor. Of course.
Lalaith felt it and muttered "Sooth, sooth." Most who heard her thought she was talking about needing her chimney cleaned.
Menel felt it as he polished his armor.
Mithalwen felt it as she milked her goats.
Mormegil felt it as he turned gold into less gold.
Nonnacedak felt it as he prepared to go down to the lake and fish.
SamwiseGamgee felt it as he scornfully compared a shrew to a lyena.
Saucie felt it, even though he had been at the bar since it opened.
Wilwa felt it as she lamented her career, but was slightly more elated when she spotted a rare snow moth.

Even so, it was several hours before they noticed that something was indeed amiss. Where was their healer?
"Where is Oddwen?" they asked. "Even she never sleeps quite this late."
A few of her closest friends went across to her house, and knocked on the door. But no answer - how absurd! The friendly neighborhood chiropractor always was prompt! Not before noon usually, but always prompt after that.
"Maybe she threw her back out," suggested one. With growing crowds and alarm, they entered her house and looked for her.
"She's not in the house," they said in wonderment. "But she couldn't have left - there are her shoes and coat, on that skeleton thing she keeps around."
"She doesn't even have a fire going, and in the dead of winter too," another said, and opened the woodbox. A scream strangled its way out of the throat of the villager - and the others gathered in alarm. Another skeleton lay in the woodbox.
But a closer examination by one of the more stout-hearted revealed that this skeleton was not "another", it was the original. The one sporting Oddwen's kine-hide jacket and shoes was not a wired together reference guide at all, it was leftovers from a meal. In the pocket of the jacket they found a note:

*burp*
Werewolves three
Hee hee hee

"She's been...murdered! Eaten!" they gasped in horror. "By Werewolves...and is that supposed to be poetry?! Worser and worser! But why? Why would they attack our little peaceful village Hamlet?" A trip to the pantry revealed a clue - as they opened it, splintered wood and shredded calfskin tumbled out. It was all that remained of Oddwen's drums.
"Why would they destroy those?" murmured the village.
"I was so fond of her playing," said one sadly. "Especially when she'd yodel."
"Aye," said another growing misty eyed. "It was a comfort on those long nights."
"Reg'lar as clockwork she was, the sun'd go down, and up would go an hour long beatin' solo."
"She was good too, couldn't have missed the rhythm more'n every other measure. And you've never *heard* such dynamics!"
"Some days, the only break she took from playin' would be to serve a customer."
"She was a selfless lass, always ready to come to me house to play me to sleep when I couldn't."
"She used to come and beat on me Saucepans."
"Remember the band we formed last summer? Dear Oddwen on the skins, Laitaine playin' her flute, Menel there on his bagpipes and old man Saucie callin' the moves for the dance?"
No doubt about it - these Wolves were insane, attacking a harmless, peaceful village for no reason.
Their lamentations were cut short as Boromir88 entered, bringing in the dead chicken.
"Eew," the Villagers cried. "Eew!"
"I've discovered the reason for death," cried Boromir. "It was stepped on - by a bear!"
This was met with another shock. What? Eh? Bears? Nonsense!
A trip outside to the chicken shack quelled their doubts. There in the snow were tracks of the largest bear anyone could remember remembering. They circled Oddwen's little hut and wandered in and out of the Village. They found several other small squashed animals in its wake.
"Werewolves and frostbite and bears, oh my!" cried the Villagers.
They swore revenge on the Wolves and the bear for dear Oddwen and (on the insistence of Gurthang) the poooooooor chicken.

-----------------------

It is now DAY one. Werewolves, stop PMing. Sherriffs may start. DAY will end in 24 hours.

A reminder: please do not edit your posts for anything other than minor mistakes. Double posts are okay, remember.

Last edited by Oddwen; 08-13-2005 at 09:18 AM. Reason: The 24 hour thing...then the lmp thing...
Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 06:04 AM   #3
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
This is truly a tragic day; but I fear that even more tragedy will befall us before we are all able to rest. Oddwen will be sorely missed, if for no other reason than her calm thinking would have been an immense help during this newly darkened hour.

But I hope that we will all be able to think like rational humans in this matter. Do not be rash in your decisions here. We don’t know everything behind this event. These werewolves may have been forced to do this foul deed. After all, they are creatures who do things by nature and instinct. Perhaps they were responding to some threat they saw to themselves, and so they would blame us for the starting of this matter.

But know this: I am not saying what they did was right. I am searching for a peaceful end to this predicament, if that is at all possible. Maybe if we leave these werewolves alone, they will leave us alone. Perhaps this is just a big misunderstanding that will end here if we don’t continue it. If we could all think about this from the wolves’ point of view, maybe we can figure out a non-violent way of resolving this situation. Yet knowing the nature of us as humans, I’m not sure that will be possible.

Still, I hope we won’t be too hasty in the decisions we are about to make. All of our lives are at stake here, which makes this a very tense scene. Clear thinking is what we need. There is something I think we all overlook at times, but we would do better if we remembered this: Werewolves are People, too!

[(400th post!)]
Old 08-13-2005, 06:14 AM   #4
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Alas! Poor Oddwen, we knew her well. I'll always remember the way she ordered he drinks at the bar; with a straight back, never slouching. *sheds tear* So, this is the first day of lynching. I suppose we could just look for suspicious posts or randomly pick somebody to lynch (probably not a good idea). We'll be in the dark until we come up with a sort of strategy for nabbing these werewolf (and bear) menaces.
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 06:46 AM   #5
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Gurthang, we have a death on our hands, apparently killed by werewolves, and above that bears too. I doubt peace is going to be a good solution.

Though I do agree we should clearly think this through, no sense in irrationally starting a mass man hunt, or should I say wolf hunt? We don't want to get ourselves into a situation where we are just hanging anyone we see.

Last edited by Boromir88; 08-13-2005 at 06:47 AM. Reason: grammar
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 07:10 AM   #6
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Gurthang, if wolves are people too all the more reason to kill them and quickly. I've got my experiments to get back to and I do hope that this tragic event won't interfer with my gold making. Now I find it telling that our animal rights activist there is so willing to support these wolves. I tell you they can think and they know right from wrong. I say we burn them and warm ourselves by their fires.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:56 AM   #7
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Now why would anyone want to kill poor Oddwen? 'Tis a sad day indeed for the village of Hamlet.

I can't say as I have any pity for our wolves; from what I've heard tell they tend to be cunning creatures who know exactly what they're doing. They've got to be lynched. The problem is finding out who them wolves are, and I don't see any way to do that save by careful observation and keeping our wits about us.

We'll have to see, but today I reckon we're just going to have to get lucky.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 08:45 AM   #8
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Wolves and bears on one night! Well, that's just great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurthang
These werewolves may have been forced to do this foul deed.
They were forced by their thirst for blood, I say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcarillo
I suppose we could just look for suspicious posts or randomly pick somebody to lynch
Random accusing and random lynching are two very different things. On this day everything looks suspicious - we have murderers among us. I don't expect to be much wiser at the end of this day but let's not do any hasty decisions yet. It's still early. But there's one thing I want to say: let's not show them any mercy for we shall receive none.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:08 AM   #9
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I am Azaelia of Willowbottom. No, really. It's just that I've had this really, really bad magical transformation happen to me. I think it was the last great wish of Oddwen whispered to some god before she died. So yes, I'm the Baker, but you can call me LMP. It's easier.

Urk! Sorry! Urk! I'm having an attack of laryngitis and won't be able to communicate properly for I don't know how long, so I'm just going to vote now. If that looks suspicious, so be it. Yes, it's totally <urk> random, but what else do you expect on Day One?

++ Gurthang

On the grounds that he's an annoying animal rights activist. So there.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:57 AM   #10
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oh my... *daintily picks a tiny shrew vertebra out of her teeth*

Poor poor Oddwen...Odd she was, but not a bad sort of odd.

Werewolves...ick...even worse than dogs! I'd claw one to pieces if I didn't have a long afternoon nap scheduled....

*begins licking her paw* Mmm...shrew... I need to take a bath to get this taste all over me....

Quote:
++ Gurthang

On the grounds that he's an annoying animal rights activist. So there.
Startling! Not really grounds for suspicion, though. A random vote is a random vote.

Wait...this place is called Hamlet? Mmm...little ham... *purrs*

Ooh, look, a butterfly! *chases after it*

(You do know cats have short attention spans...)
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:58 AM   #11
arcticstorm
Shade of Carn Dûm

arcticstorm has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arcticstorm Send a message via MSN to arcticstorm Send a message via Yahoo to arcticstorm
We need not be too quick in making accusations today. especially not until we have seen what everyone has to say, just maybe the wolves are waiting for us to start accusing eachother,before they come and put there own two cents worth in. Today of all days is not a day for hasty actions. and those who seem guilty at first may be as innocent as a newborn. And those who appear to be innocent, may in fact be rotten to the core.

Do not persons often err about good and evil: Many who are not good seem to be so, and conversely?
Bear this in mind as we try to find out who our real enemies are
arcticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 10:16 AM   #12
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

articstorm, your 'shades of grey' argument does not wash with me. During my many years of lupine study I have learned one very important thing: werewolves are evil, and there are no two ways about it!

For most of my life I have toiled and worked to gain a better understanding of Wargs, and in doing so my path has often crossed that of a werewolf- not without a shudder running down my spine I hasten to add. One thing I have learned above all else, and this we must agree upon fellow friends of Hamlet: werewolves ARE NOT people. They are cold, vicious, systematic killers whose sole aim in life is to bring pain, misery and suffering upon all those they come across. The fact that by day they mascarade as friendly villagers cannot be allowed to dim our vision.

Gurthang, I find your opinions worrying. Tell me friend, how do you hope to approach a werewolf, his breath still strong with the odour of dear, precious Oddwen's blood and seek a peaceful solution? Your way is folly, Gurthang! Explain yourself, or you shall leave me no option but to call for your death!
Old 08-13-2005, 10:23 AM   #13
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
1420!

*Saucepan finishes his pint of Alcarillo's Best Bitter and orders another*

Eee bah gum, 'ere's a right mess and no mistake. Since t'fateful day when t'mines closed, this 'ere Village 'as taken me in and shown me kindness, like. And that there Oddwen was one of t'kindest of all. Let my voice join t'voices of those who 'ave sworn revenge on these foul beasties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurthang
Maybe if we leave these werewolves alone, they will leave us alone. Perhaps this is just a big misunderstanding that will end here if we don’t continue it.
'Fraid, I cannot agree with thee there, brother Activist. Pure though thy 'eart may be in this matter, it seems plain to me as t'nose on thy face that these 'ere creatures will stop at nothing to kill again 'ere t'next day dawns. And mayhaps yonder bear will be joining them in their killing spree, like. Thee says that Werewolves are people too. To my mind, that only means that they pose ever t'greater danger to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
Though I do agree we should clearly think this through, no sense in irrationally starting a mass man hunt, or should I say wolf hunt?
But that is exactly what we should be doing. We must look carefully at what everybody says and judge all by their words. And by end of t'day, we must choose one Villager (but no more than one, my friends, for now at least) that we believe to be one of these murderous fiends and 'ang them 'igh. On a majority vote, like. But I do agree with thee that we should not be 'asty in making our choice. I for one will regard anyone who shows undue 'aste with suspicion.

*glares at LMP*

Since we have little to go on for t'present, I plan on going by what my fellow Villagers say. And I believe that anyone who remains quiet or who says little to aid our cause should be rightfully viewed by t'Village as suspicious. 'Tis my belief that all accusations should be backed by good reasons. It is only by forcing t'Wolves to speak like and to give reasons for what they say, and thereby possibly incriminate themselves, that we will 'ave anything to go on when t'time comes to vote.

[Note: Fellow Villagers will no doubt be grateful to hear that Saucepan's ridiculous accent will be present for this post only, to establish character, like.]
Old 08-13-2005, 10:38 AM   #14
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Werewolves! I knew something was amiss, I knew it... but no one listens to me anyway...

So they got Oddwen, did they? I didn't like her. But only because she didn't like me. No one gives a rat's behind about me anymore -- O, my lost love! Why, oh why did you have to listen to the prattle of that stupid wizard?

Ahem. The trick, I think, will be to get over it and try to sort out who these barely-literate wolves (not to mention this abnormally-sized bear) are. What? Don't think I can't hear you whispering behind your hands. I'm dejected, not deaf. You don't see me getting over anything, you say? Well, you all haven't had your hearts broken, have you? Have you?

I didn't think so.

I don't like these things Gurthang over there is saying. Tripe, if you ask me. That littlemanbaker might have a good idea in lynching Gurthang Wolf-Friend.

EDIT: Cross-posted with the ex-miner.

Last edited by Encaitare; 08-13-2005 at 10:40 AM. Reason: italics, cross-posted
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 10:45 AM   #15
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Patience, Encaitare. There are still villagers who have to post. I too am suspicious of Gurthang's apparent love of these murderous beasts, but as t'old boy Saucepan said, we should be loathe to jump hastily decisions. Aafter all, do you want to wake up in the morning with the blood of an innocent villager on your hands because you jumped to a hasty conclusion? Verily I say, in such a situation you are no better than the werewolf yourself.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:01 AM   #16
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The trouble is Mr Pan Man is that what is there to say so early in proceedings? Unless anyone has concrete evidence, our choice will be random, at best based on hunch or suspicion.

Alas due to my well known posting schedule, I will perhaps not be able to speak enough or frequently to satisfy you ( I can reach the "parish pump" but once a day at weekends - those goats are such a tie.) Nevertheless I will offer what I can in the short hours open to me - hunch and suspicion though it be.

My initial instinct is that those who speak first may be eager for a reason. To get in quick with sorrow for the dead and to manipulate opinion. And when the person who speaks first defends the murderers of the innocent Oddwen (though with his warped sense of priorotes perhaps his main grief was for the chicken....) my suspicions are redoubled. Perhaps he has very good reason for his sympathy with animals..... I am not being spiteful, even though he does want me to change the name of my plain cheese from mousetrap to "nutrition for humanely detained rodents while awaiting their release into the wild" ......

Boromir also spoke swiftly.... given that this village has been so peaceful until now, it hasn't given him much in the way of employment opportunities, maybe he has been on a work creation scheme. And how does he know so much about bears... Well I will think more on what others have said, before I decide, but as I said I must cast my vote early..... nevertheless since we are many. at least I may vote in the knowledge that my vote may not be too significant given that it cannot be based on all the evidence. These are indeed serious matters - none are more serious than life or death. I have no hard evidence these are observations only.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 08-13-2005 at 11:05 AM. Reason: only to save a second post seconds after the first - " nevertheless" on is the edit
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:05 AM   #17
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sauce Pan Man: But that is exactly what we should be doing. We must look carefully at what everybody says and judge all by their words.
Perhaps you have misunderstood. Of course we want to go after these beasts, but the key word is "irrational," not turning this into a mob of poking fingers and a mass hysteria. There can be an orderly way to do it.

Gurthang, I must say your words are rather suspicious, are you suggesting that we just let this go? Not hunt after the Werewolves and apparently a bear that has murdered Lady Oddwen? This is exactly what we have, a murder, and we must find who these things are and lynch 'em.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:13 AM   #18
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticstorm
We need not be too quick in making accusations today. especially not until we have seen what everyone has to say
But if anybody doesn't accuse anyone there won't be anything to say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp
I'm having an attack of laryngitis and won't be able to communicate properly for I don't know how long, so I'm just going to vote now. Yes, it's totally <urk> random, but what else do you expect on Day One?
Maybe it wouldn't have been so random if you had waited until nightfall...or if you hadn't voted at all. This little vote of yours might make others suspect Gurthang, too. Wether the suspicion is undue or not, I don't know.

But really, Gurthang, put the animal rights aside and think of our human rights!

Last edited by dancing spawn of ungoliant; 08-13-2005 at 11:16 AM.
dancing spawn of ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:20 AM   #19
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

1420!

*Pushes more beer into Saucepan Man's hands*

I too am a bit suspicious of Gurthang and his hasty vote, but I myself don't have enough proof of his guilt to convince me.

Quote:
There can be an orderly way to do it.
But how? I suppose we just wait for everybody to say something a few times to hear their opinion. Any other ideas? This first day will be the most difficult without any clues.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:23 AM   #20
Mischievous Candle

Double posting since we're not allowed to edit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
My initial instinct is that those who speak first may be eager for a reason. To get in quick with sorrow for the dead and to manipulate opinion.
Someone has to be the first, anyway. I wouldn't count on that too much. The earlier we start discussing our situation the more time we have to ponder this problem. I have to admit, though, that I've never trusted those who lament very conspicuously, either.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:24 AM   #21
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancing spawn of ungoliant
But if anybody doesn't accuse anyone there won't be anything to say. Maybe it wouldn't have been so random if you had waited until nightfall...or if you hadn't voted at all. This little vote of yours might make others suspect Gurthang, too. Wether the suspicion is undue or not, I don't know.

Your first point is very true Dancing Spawn, but your second is harsh on those of us who cannot be "in the village square" (online) frequently during the day. Not to vote may cast suspicion on oneself and few are going to be noble enough to risk that rather than cast suspicion on another, even if it is premature. (I am aware of this dilemma particularly because the fixed length day timeframe means (if I survive) I am almost certainly going to have to cast my vote relatively early. ) NB if this bit belongs in the other thread - my apologies and I will move it).

Old 08-13-2005, 11:26 AM   #22
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
The trouble is Mr Pan Man is that what is there to say so early in proceedings? Unless anyone has concrete evidence, our choice will be random, at best based on hunch or suspicion.
I agree that all we have at present is hunch and suspicion but we should use them to arrive at a conclusion which is at least sensible, even though it may turn out to be wrong.

Quote:
Alas due to my well known posting schedule, I will perhaps not be able to speak enough or frequently to satisfy you ...
I would not necessarily regard someone who only makes a handful of contributuons as supicious. I am far more concerned with the content of what is said. If people cannot participate frequently, so be it. But they should at least make some attempt at sensible analysis when doing so. It is only in our foes' interests to make "content-lite" contributions. As an example of such, I would cite Durelin's first post. And that's not an accusation, you understand. I am merely using it for illustrative purposes at present.

A question though. If someone knows that they will not be able to vote later in the day, is it better, if they are innocent, for them to vote when they can or simply not to vote that day? I have my own thoughts, but would welcome the views of others.

And to add something further which I hope may contribute to the discussion, is it not the case that acting with obvious suspicion on the first day is most un-Werewolf like behaviour? It might be a double-bluff, but a very dangerous one on Day 1, when anything vaguely suspicious is picked up on. It may be Cobbler behaviour, but I would prefer to bag a Wolf or two or a Bear first before turning my attention to the Cobbler.

Quote:
Perhaps you have misunderstood. Of course we want to go after these beasts, but the key word is "irrational," not turning this into a mob of poking fingers and a mass hysteria.
My objection was to your counselling against starting a wolf-hunt. I agree that we should approach this rationally. But a wolf-hunt is precisely what we are now engaged on.

(And let's not foget that Bear. Bagging him or her will reduce our exposure during the Night.)

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 08-13-2005 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Typo
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:35 AM   #23
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

1420! <-- Thanks Alc :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcarillo
I too am a bit suspicious of Gurthang and his hasty vote ...
It was LMP who voted hastily for Gurthang, Alc. Methinks that you have been indulging rather too much in your own fine beer.

To clarify, which one is it that you are casting vague suspicion on?

I see that dancing spawn anticipated my question about voting early. My own view is that it depends how much has been said already. LMP's very early vote is supicious, but would a Wolf act that suspiciously on the first Day?
Old 08-13-2005, 11:37 AM   #24
Mischievous Candle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith
Your first point is very true Dancing Spawn, but your second is harsh on those of us who cannot be "in the village square" (online) frequently during the day.Not to vote may cast suspicion on oneself and few are going to be noble enough to risk that rather than cast suspicion on another
I don't blame him. I'm just making observations. It seemed to me that he don't really care if he's making himself look questionable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp
If that looks suspicious, so be it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpM
And let's not foget that Bear. Bagging him or her will reduce our exposure during the Night.
I'd say it's our primary goal to lynch the bear. As long as there are wolves and a bear around, we lose two good villagers a night (unless they attack each other).
Old 08-13-2005, 11:41 AM   #25
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

1420! Drops beer bottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
It was LMP who voted hastily for Gurthang, Alc. Methinks that you have been indulging rather too much in your own fine beer.

To clarify, which one is it that you are casting vague suspicion on?
I guess that's what happens when you read through a bit too quickly (while drinking). LMP is the more suspicious, to me, of the two, having voted so early and based on so little proof. Gurthang is less suspicious, but only because of his little "werewolves are peple, too!" comment, which was only in character. So my main suspicion is with LMP, although I won't be as quick as he to cast my vote. I'll wait too hear everybody.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:51 AM   #26
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Well trying to guess the degree of bluff is just mindspinning. It may be an error to dig too deeply and ignore the obvious. Personally if push came to shove, I would vote in better conscience for someone who had acted suspiciously than someone who hadn't - in the absence of something more definite. Also getting the cobbler would be a better result for the village than lynching an innocent. Remember the cobbler's aim is to help the wolves, is it not.....?

AS for the not voting thing ... well much as my instinct goes against casting a vote before all the evidence and opinions have been heard, my schedule means that my first chance real chance speak on weekdays is at 1pm BST ie noon GMT the moment when the day/night begins. I then have an hour and a few hours potentially after work. I will try to get in early enough to check before work but realistically there may not be enough time to make a good call. I could end up never voting if I took the more "ethical" stance of not voting early. That would be a dereliction of the duty to vote. Maybe I should have sat this one out but I didn't realise the timing implication and there really isn't anything I can do about it short of quitting my job. In the circumstances I think it better to vote early than not vote at all. It would be arrogant for me to think that I would be so influential that those around later would find my vote more persuasive than evidence that came to light after I voted, knowing my situation. With 20 living villagers quite a few vote will be needed surely to hang someone. If I make it to the later stages I will obviously rethink (and if I must set the alarm even earlier ...)

Old 08-13-2005, 12:05 PM   #27
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithlawen
Also getting the cobbler would be a better result for the village than lynching an innocent.
Agreed, but our primary goal should be to lynch someone who can harm us. Failing that, the Cobbler would be better than an innocent Villager. However, I doubt that the Cobbler is likely to be acting too obviously suspicious from the off either.

I understand the suspicion being cast in LMP's direction. I myself am suspicious of him for his behaviour, although I have a nagging doubt that it was not the behaviour of a Wolf or Bear (or a Gifted, for that matter). But I am concerned about the degree of suspicion that Gurthang is attracting for what was only really an 'in character' comment. I don't know whether he is gulity or innocent, but I am loathe to condemn him on that alone.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:23 PM   #28
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Agreed, but our primary goal should be to lynch someone who can harm us.
Well that the wolves and bear are the primary source of danger is goes without saying but a cobbler who succeeds in getting innocents hanged is also a killer even if (s)he doesn't get his hands bloody himself/herself . A dead innocent is a dead innocent no matter how they meet their end. I wouldn't place so much distiction between the cobbler and the beasts. Confusion is a dangerous weapon and if the cobbler survives too long the fate of all will be in their hands.

All this does not help me much as the sands of time slip away. Soon I must go having heard - what half? the village speak. Do I vote for Gurthang who I suspect also for his promptness even if his ic words are disregarded and be accused of bandwagonning? Do I not vote (a cop out) or vote utterly at random and hope that enough people have enough information to make a wiser choice that will make mine a token vote.... aieeeeeee

We live in interesting times. I will see if an analysis of who has spoken and what helps ....

Old 08-13-2005, 12:25 PM   #29
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'm in favor of all voting if that's the discussion.

However in working out my latest chemistry equations it came to me like lightning, it did. I know who is guilty!

I say Firefoot, Mithalwen and Articstorm are the wolves among us and this alchemist is never wrong...you'll see one day I will turn this metal here into gold.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:39 PM   #30
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
I'm in favor of all voting if that's the discussion.

However in working out my latest chemistry equations it came to me like lightning, it did. I know who is guilty!

I say Firefoot, Mithalwen and Articstorm are the wolves among us and this alchemist is never wrong...you'll see one day I will turn this metal here into gold.

Now that really is a random accusation ..... !!!! I have warned you about eating strong cheese late at night...... How can I defend myself against that? All I can say is that you have been saying the day when you produce gold will be dawning for years ...and it aint getting any lighter is it? Anyone with any sense knows you have to mine for gold... even dwarves know that ..... but no you think you can turn base metal into it without the effort of actually doing some hard work.

Also I might say it is a nice wolf trick to try and point the finger at someone who has announced she has to go imminently and cannot remain to defend herself. Trying to find an easy target to save yourself are you?

Old 08-13-2005, 01:20 PM   #31
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

Ah, 'tis too bad that our deare Oddwen hath been taken from us by these foule wolves. I have rolled my die of twenty sides and it hath landed on ye olde 12, ye number of Laitaine. However, trying ye random approache may not be needed here. It seems that ye olde baker, LMP hath indeede voted rather quickly. To me, it appeareth likely that thou art ye Cobbler, LMP, but keepe in minde that even ye Cobbler may not be ye type to be doing something that risky on ye firste Daye.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:28 PM   #32
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
I say Firefoot, Mithalwen and Articstorm are the wolves among us and this alchemist is never wrong
You're wrong. *Shrugs.*

Personally, I'm disinclined to believe that either LMP or Gurthan is guilty. I think our wolves are more likely to either be in the background somewhere or posting fairly frequently but not doing a lot of finger pointing or gathering much attention. Granted, that's just about everybody... but when the time comes to vote I will be looking at people who are posting but not saying much.

I haven't seen anything blaringly suspicious yet. Morm's random list is just that, random, but I'm not overly concerned. I'd like to hear from those who haven't posted yet, as well.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 01:33 PM   #33
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

My, my, my. It seems I've earned a lot of suspicion because of my occupation. Many of you are pointing to my statement about wanting a peaceful end to this situation as being suspicious. I even heard a few comments about me supporting the wolves. I must say, I am rather offended about that.

When I said I would like a peaceful end, I did not really have much hope that that would be possible, and I said as much. And I am certainly not supporting their deed. It was wrong, and justice should be served, but I was also saying that during the course of justice, we must not act rashly.

I also notice that LMP has earned some suspicion because of his vote for me. I am not in suspicion of him. And seeing as he hinted that he will probably not post again, I can see the reason behind his early vote.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Saucepan Man
Thee says that Werewolves are people too. To my mind, that only means that they pose ever t'greater danger to us.
Hmm. I hadn't thought of that.

I also want to point out that we have not heard from CaptainofDespair, Lalaith, Laitaine, Nonnacedak, Gil-Galad, or Wilwa yet. I agree that waiting until all have spoken is a good idea.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:39 PM   #34
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Hmm well if LMP is the cobbler .... well how could he know what would help the wolves with only a few posts on the board? The cobbler isn't privy to any special information is he? He can only make his deductions like the rest of us. It occurs though that his behaviour might be good cover for a Seer. Make it look like a random accusation so you don't have to declare yourself and hope that people join the bandwagon? Just a theory.... I mean the seer is very vulnerable while the Bear live since the Ranger can't protect from the Beorning. I know that it would be flukey that the Seer would strike lucky straight off AND that the person would be foolish enough to behave so conveniently suspiciously (albeit partly IC) but flukes do happen...... The Seer has just over a 50% chance of having identified a significant villager .... and with only 4 (?) villagers left to speak at all, I haven't seen a better indication.

Hey I'm clutching at straws here. I have about 15 minutes to decide.....

Old 08-13-2005, 01:41 PM   #35
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

2nd post due to cross post with Gurthang... I cannot wait.... for all .. I have to go with what we have which isn't a lot....

Old 08-13-2005, 01:54 PM   #36
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
Hmm...suspicious.

Gurthang has caused me to raise an eyebrow. I shall ponder him and his thoughts. I doubt he should be worried about at the moment, however. He may be annoying, and an animal rights activist, but he does not appear too guilty, at least not yet. Time will tell.

Though, Durelin has given me a cause for worry, as she has eaten one of my shrews. We will see what part she has to play, if any.

I'd rather not randomly lynch someone, but Gurthang is the only one truly 'on my radar'.
CaptainofDespair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 02:01 PM   #37
Nonnacedak
Animated Skeleton

Nonnacedak has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nonnacedak
Ah the day had been great and full of large trout before I had heard of the death of poor Oddwen... I must confess that I will be looking over my shoulder much more often now when I wander off to the lake by my lonesome. After hearing the cases of almost everyone in the village I honestly dont know who is guilty or innocent. I am surrounded by liars and I am but a humble trout fisherman. Mormegil's accusations seem completely baseless. If it came down to it with the evidence I have at the present I would choose that animal loving freak named Gurthang! I must hear from the few villagers left who have thus far been silent to make a final decision. Us innocents must filter through the lies to save our poor village! I await the silent!
Old 08-13-2005, 02:05 PM   #38
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I have got to decide now and it isn't easy. I am afraid that I had always thought that if I had to make a random decision I would go for the person who posted first on the principle of "If you can't be fair, be arbitrary" . While I can see the sense in that his behaviour is too obvious, it is also possible that it is a double bluff. It is also possible that LMP is the Seer ( reason for the last minute sub?).
Many others also suspect him so, not having the luxury to wait and fearing personal consequences of not voting...

++ Gurthang

Old 08-13-2005, 02:33 PM   #39
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Mithalwen, that doesn't seem very fair to me, voting for me just because I posted first. I must also say that if you think LMP is the Seer, you really shouldn't point him out like that. If he is, and the wolves believe you, you just showed him to them.

This may sound like it's out of spite, but I am now suspicious of Mithalwen. She is voting for me on very unsteady grounds(cuz I was first to post). She's also posted twice as many times as anyone else, yet really hasn't said to much. Mostly just her musing to herself about the various roles in our village. Hmmm.

Still, I want to wait until others say what they think. It sounds like we won't hear from Mith again today; I'm not sure I'll vote for someone who hasn't had a chance to defend themselves.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:05 PM   #40
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

It may be that Mithalwen is a beaste or ye Cobbler, but at this pointe I don't see enough evidence to be certaine of thy suggestion, Gurthang. However, LMP might be in neede of some protection from nowe on. Or is he a Wolfe or Beare trying to look like ye Seere to avoide yon gallows? 'Tis a toughe situation.