The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-28-2003, 07:09 PM   #1
Iarhen
Wight

Iarhen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril The strategy that brought victory in the War of the Ring... who to thank for it?

The War of the Ring was won by a combination of luck, strategy, union and strength...

Gandalf is credited for being a great strategist and the one main enemy of Sauron that crafted the downfall of the Dark Lord.

He is accounted for creating the strategy that resulted in the destruction of the One Ring. Him, Elrond and (in a lesser way) the Council of Elrond were the ones who decided to destroy the Ring and that it had to be taken into Mordor to be destroyed in the Orodruin.

There it was decided that a company of 8 men would go with the Ringbearer to help him accomplish his mission.

But the Fellowship was broken and left without a true leader after Gandalf the Grey fell battling the Balrog...

It was in Lothlorien when the mission took a whole new way. The remainings of the Fellowship were broken in 3 groups after... The ones taken captive by Saruman's uruks... the ones out to rescue them... and Frodo and Samwise...

It was in the Mirror Glade that Frodo decided to go alone in his quest... A decision that Galadriel led him to during the Mirror chapter...

It was thanks to this ultimate decision that Frodo went alone, with Sam, and got into Mordor and, finally, destroyed the One Ring, giving Sauron his ultimate end.

It was thanks to this decision that Gondor and Rohan were saved... or Aragorn would have been dragged into Mordor... And Gandalf would not have cured Theoden of the ill advice and other things he was under... Thanks to the fact that Frodo decided to go alone... and they were relieved of their original mission.

But the main thing is that the One Ring was destroyed thanks to the last strategy designed by Galadriel and decided upon by Frodo. If Gandalf went into Mordor, he would have been noticed in the first moment he used his magic. Not counting with the fact that the other 5 would not have helped in keeping the mission a secret, hidden...

It was because there were only 2 why they were never caught... It was thanks to this decision that the other events took place and M.E. remained a good land to live in for men...

Yes, I do remember that Gollum was the other half when destroying the Ring, and that he was alive thanks to the pity that Gandalf had over him...

But what I say is that Gandalf gets all the credit for designing the scheme that brought the destruction of the Ring... when both Frodo and Galadriel have a lot to do with it... almost as much as Gandalf had to...

What do you think?
Old 09-28-2003, 07:54 PM   #2
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Iarhen, you need to get over this Galadriel fixation ... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2003, 08:15 PM   #3
Eladar
Animated Skeleton

Eladar has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I think that indeed it was Gandalf whose strategy brought about victory.

The strategy that I believe brought victory was demonstrated at the bridge when he sacrificed his life (and victory by his own hand). The plan of the Valar had failed.

By sacrificing himself at the bridge, Gandalf signified this defeat, putting the hope for final victory in the hands of Eru himself.

[ September 28, 2003: Message edited by: Eladar ]

[ September 29, 2003: Message edited by: Eladar ]
Eladar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 11:39 PM   #4
Iarhen
Wight

Iarhen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

LOL!

You are absolutely right!!!!

But I do stand my ground on this subject... Even though it may be that in the end it was all in Eru's hand (specially when Gollum "accidentally" triped and fall) the strategy was pure genious...
Old 09-29-2003, 03:05 AM   #5
Maéglin
Haunting Spirit

Maéglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeh it was all Eru... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Remember Illuvatar's words to Melkor that whatever evil he creates it will ultimately serve to aid him (Illuvatar) in his music and creation.
Maéglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 03:44 AM   #6
kharank
Animated Skeleton

kharank has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, its got to be Eru!! I mean, it was Galadriel who 'suggested' going alone into Mordor with Frodo, certainly. And if Gandalf (or was it Aragorn?) had not decided to march on the Morannon, and distract Sauron from Mordor, would Frodo Sam and Gollum have gone unnoticed? In the end, it was small coincidences and 'luck' that made the quest succeed - things ultimately in the hands of Eru..? On a different note, the Eagles bearing Gandalf from his battle with the Balrog to LothLorien, and Rohan (i think), and then appearing in the battle before the Black Gate - could that be seen as interference by Manwe? I know their part was small at best, but Gandalf, and anyone else learned present, must surely have felt hope knowing that the Valar were also 'doing their bit'...

Cool, imagine if Frodo had kept the Ring, and wrestled with the Dark Lord!!! Nah, he'd have been squashed...
Old 09-29-2003, 02:26 PM   #7
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

Yes, I think a lot of it was Gandalf's strategy, but everyone played a part, even if unintended. Pippin helped out by looking into the palantir (though it was still a stupid thing to do) and Merry and Eowyn with the Nazgul, the eagles, and I could go on forever...but overall it was their determination that got them through.
Old 09-29-2003, 03:26 PM   #8
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
Iarhen, you need to get over this Galadriel fixation ... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I was about to say the same thing!

I think the victory was a mixture of things-
three cups of Gandalf, a table-spoon of Merry and Pippin, a chunk of Elrond's wisdom, a handful of Galadriel's gifts and advice, a sprinkle of hobbit will power, a pound of Sam's support, half a liter of Aragorn, a dash of Boromir, Faramir, Celeborn (and other various characters), all mixed with ten million tons of luck and fortune (or Eru's will as some call it).
Old 09-29-2003, 03:49 PM   #9
Arothir
Wight

Arothir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It was obviously the third theme of the Ainulindale! I mean, something as big as the War of the Ring must have been in the Music.
Arothir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 04:17 PM   #10
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

It is probable that without Gandalf's strategy of war, Frodo's Quest would not have succeeded. Gandalf (and the Lords of the West) worked to draw Sauron's Eye toward themselves and away from the Ringbearer, thus making possible the success of the Quest.

As for the person who was most responsible for the accomplishment of the Quest of the Ring, it is obviously Sam.

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 05:49 PM   #11
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

There was really only one strategy: get the Ring to Mount Doom and destroy it. And that strategy was devised by the wise present at the Council of Elrond, most particularly Elrond and Gandalf. And it was a strategy that bore little hope, as Gandalf recognised.

As to how the strategy was put into action, well each of the characters played their part, even (or should I say especially) Gollum. Indeed, even Sauron had a hand in it, since it was he who had the blind spot as far as Hobbits venturing into Mordor were concerned, and he who fell for the ruse of concentrating his attention on the Black Gate when he should have been looking at Mount Doom.

Yes, it was all part of Eru's will, but it was for the free peoples to accomplish the task, with a little assistance of course - indirectly in the case of Gandalf (and perhaps the Eagles), and more directly in the guise of providence.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:43 PM   #12
Eladar
Animated Skeleton

Eladar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Letter 156
Quote:
The 'wizards', as such, had failed; or if you like: the crisis had become too grave and needed an enhancement of power. So Gandalf sacrificed himself, was accepted, and enhanced, and returned. 'Yes, that was the name. I was Gandalf.' Of course he remains similar in personality and idiosyncrasy, but both his wisdom and power are much greater. When he speaks he commands attention; the old Gandalf could not dealt with Theoden, nor with Saruman. He is still under the obligation of concelaing his power and of teaching rather than forcing or dominating wills, but where the physical powers of the Enemy are too great for the good will of the opposers to be effictive he can act in an emergency as an 'angel' - no more violently than the release of St. Peter from prison.
Eladar is offline   Reply With Quote