Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-14-2004, 10:01 AM   #241
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Green Dragon Inn Facts:

It is the 4th Age, year 12. By the Shire Calendar it is year 1433 S.R. (Shire Reckoning).

King Elessar is on the throne of the Reunited Kingdom of Arnor and Gondor.

Mirkwood has been reclaimed by the Elves and is now called Eryn Lasgalen.

Paladdin Took, Pippin’s father, is Thain of the Shire. (Thain is an honorary title for the military leader of the Shire. The title has been held in the Took Family since the position was first established in 3rd Age 1979 with Bucca of the Marish as First Thain.) Paladdin Took dies in year 13, and will be succeeded by his son, Peregrin, ‘Pippin’, Took.

Samwise Gamgee is Mayor of the Shire, having succeeded Will Whitfoot in 1427 S.R.

The Innkeeper, in the Green Dragon Inn of this forum, is:
Aman – a young woman from Rohan.

Before her, the Innkeeper was Piosenniel, and before her it was Dwarin, the Dwarf.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Other ongoing characters in the Inn:

Ruby Brown, Hobbit – not married – server and maid

Buttercup Brownlock, Hobbit – not married – kitchen assistant and maid

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Ongoing characters from outside the Inn:

Halfred Whitfoot – local Shiriff and Postmaster; his pony’s name is Dumpling.
  • Only the Innkeeper, Amanaduial, or the Moderators move the timeline for the Inn forward.
  • Visitors to the Inn will need to read the posts that come before theirs to get an idea of what time it is in the Shire, what the weather is like, and what is happening.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

IT IS NOW EARLY EVENING IN THE SHIRE.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 11:10 AM January 14, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-14-2004, 10:02 AM   #242
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

I want to remind Inn patrons of one of the Shire rules from The Red Book of Westmarch:

Chatty-style posts which encourage other players to post in a chatty manner are discouraged.

Be descriptive, and try not to use a lot of dialog.

Communication between players in the Inn is welcomed, but please try to enhance it with some descriptive writing. This is not a television show or a movie where we can see your character and the environment they are in. You need to provide that for us - not just the dialog of the scene.

Posts with excessive dialog and little descriptive prose will be returned to their writers for revision.

Thanks!

~*~ Piosenniel, Shire Moderator

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 11:10 AM January 14, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-14-2004, 03:00 PM   #243
Thengal
Haunting Spirit

Thengal has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

"You must reach Bree and return before the sun is high tomorrow," Breylo said to his dark companion. He noded his head then leaped onto the horse and galloped away leaving a cloud of dust. Breylo turned away and headed back toward the inn.

As he rentered the inn he noticed a hooded man sitting at the table where they had sat. He apperead to be opening some kind of small leather bag. Wait, no. It was. Breylo reached for his belt and realized the leather bag around it was gone. Had he stole it off him, or had they left it there? Either way this man was going to have some explaining to do.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:58 PM   #244
Fire-Galad
Animated Skeleton

Fire-Galad has just left Hobbiton.
Question

As Sindahir sat at the table, the hairs on the back of her neck rose. This happened when someone was watching her. Sindahir looked around and saw in a corner an Elf sitting by himself. Sindahir turned her back to the stranger.
"Oh no, not him." Sindahir whispered to herself. She then heard the stranger's soft footfalls.
"Why Sindahir, I wasn't expecting you here." Sindahir looked up at his face.
"Hello Drowin." Sindahir replaid tonelessly.

Drowin was from the House of Feanor and had huge grudge against her. "So, still want it?"
"You know I do." Sindahir groaned. Did he ever give up?
"Look, I didn't even want this, but if it means giving it to you, then I will keep the position!" Drowin glared at Sindahir.
"Don't forget, I saved you that day in the mountains." 'Okay,' thought Sindahir,'my life can't get crazier.'
Old 01-14-2004, 08:19 PM   #245
Wingfoot

Sting

Horse and rider had traveled through curtains of light, silvery rain for all of two days. Approaching the grassy outskirts of the Shire, the clouds that’d been looming above for days, even weeks, had faded into vague purplish streaks that hovered above the settling sun and its sanguine aura. Upon nearing the the quaint pub, the rider mumbled a command upon a whisper to the dapple-grey steed, and the beast haulted abruptly, whining and tossing its head. With a pat on the rear flank, its master handed off the reins to a rather undersized stablehand and mounted the rickety steps of the Green Dragon Inn.

Once inside, he hooked two gloved fingers beneath the embroidered edge of his cloak to flip it behind a slender shoulder, so it framed his rather gaunt figure. The same hand rose to pull back a dampened hood, revealing sharply defined features, a thin mouth, and cropped tresses of raven’s black that jaggedly bordered eyes of marble-grey, a trademark of the men of Gondor. The sudden wave of warmth brough a slight curve to his lips, and he took a seat near the oaken counter to the back of the square room, snaking his way fluidly through the bouncing couples on the dance floor and the haphazard drunks scattered throughout the tavern.

Once off his feet, he removed his gloves from long-fingered hands, crossed with callouses, and caught the eyes of a stray barmaid in his own, offering a polite smile as she approached. “Hot water?” he raised his dark brow inquiringly. She nodded blithely and was gone with the flare of her skirts. The Gondorian sighed, orbs of sea-grey wandering to perch upon the band of tireless musicians in the corner. The merry tunes they managed to pluck out on their hollow instruments brought a boyish grin to his face and he tapped a booted foot along to the sprightly rhythm. Perhaps he would enjoy his stay in this place.

Old 01-15-2004, 12:21 AM   #246
SonOfBombadil
Animated Skeleton

Location: In a place that is not a place, in a time that never was.
SonOfBombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Lewis listened as Cree and Ravon talked, and Cree said that she was leaving in the morning. Ravon came outright and told her she wasn't going to follow her. Cree departed, and Ravon looked back to Lewis.As she did so, Lewis saw what he thought was a smile, as if a burden had just been lifted from Ravon's mind and soul.

This smile was soon followed by a question, "Now, where were we?" "Oh, yes, I believe we were just about to order supper, as it is growing dark out." came his reply. He then continued, "I'll treat you to a meal, order whatever you like, personally I'm going for the venison." He smiled, and hailed a server. Looking at Ravon, Lewis noticed, that yes, it was a smile.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:35 AM   #247
Fool Of A Took
Haunting Spirit

Fool Of A Took has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Ferdibrand started feeling hungry again, yet, he was a hobbit that's almost hungry all the time. He got up from his chair. "I am just going to get soemthing to eat, Gird, you dont whant anything?" Ferdibrand said. Ferdibrand looked at Gird that seemed to think about something. Maybe I have finally made a new friend, he thought and looked at Gird, yet I am not really sure yet. He sat down again and Gird still didnt say anything. Ferdibrand rose up again and walked to the counter. He asked for a glas of water and then sat down by the counter.

He orderd some ribbs again and an ale, and then he returned to Gird. "Are you still sure you dont whant anything to eat?" Ferdibrand asked and looked concerned at Gird. Gird looked up and was just about to answer his question. Ferdibrand awaited his answer.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:37 AM   #248
Angel_Queen
Animated Skeleton

Angel_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ravon looked at Lewis, indeed a burden had been lifted.I couldn't have asked for anything better. Now I can move on with my life and not worry about her. "I'll have what your having. Though the Lembas earlier filled me up. But why not I'll have the venison." She felt herself smile.

Finally something to smile about. Maybe this will last for a while. That is as long as I don't have to go around chasing run-aways. "Thank you Lewis. Its been so long since I've been able to smile. Yet I have Cree to thank also, but that can wait. Now I can move on with my life and see what destiny has planned out for me. Though I would hate it if it meant leaving you." Ravon reached out and grabbed his hand and placed it between hers.

She didn't know what to think anymore. What role will he play in the rest of my life. Or is fate still playing with me.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:58 PM   #249
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Aman couldn't help looking a little doubtful - Hawthorne's sudden brightness after that...the Innkeeper hesitated as the word suspicious sprang to mind...pause. But then, she had had Cami as a nurse, but for how long was a mystery; Aman didn't know as much about Pio's companion on the Lonely Star voyage as she might have wished - for all she knew, the hobbit woman had been her nanny. And she was a Brandybuck, and from the same residence as Merry, who Aman held in rather high esteem from what she had seen from him, and was certainly not short of a few practical skills...and Hawthorne couldn't try to bluff her way through cooking, and catching, fish. In a well-respected Inn. With no experience. Could she?

The Innkeeper's musings were interrupted by another call from a harrassed Ruby. "Five minutes until the mid-afternoon meal, Miss Aman."

Aman looked back to Hawthorne and, although the hobbit would never call her 'Miss' Aman, the Innkeeper made up her mind. Nodding, she turned to go down the corridor. "Come on then, five minutes until serving, need to get it all prepared." She turned as she reached the end of the corridor, looking over her shoulder at the apparently paralised Hawthorne. "You know how to prepare venison, don't you?"

Another bright smile. "Indeed, we had it at Brandy hall several times. It isn't too hard."

Not suspecting anything in the fact that they girl hadn't actually answered the question directly, Aman grinned and continued walking briskly. "Well I'm impressed. It's never been one of my strong points...still, I'm sure Ruby will relish your help."

~*~

As Aman entered the Common Room, she clapped her hands officiously and most of the Common Room turned towards her as Aman called over the stubborn or drunk who continued talking.

"Ladies and gents, the mid-afternoon meal will be served in five minutes," Aman heard an elf nearby murmur happily to his companion "I love the Shire!", before she continued "-the main part of which will be venison with vegetables, preceded by fresh vegetable soup. You may order at the bar or, as the more common procedure seems to be - catch my as I come past." She grinned at the Common Room as laughter rippled around it, then, straightening her hair, bodily removing a restless hobbit-lad customer from a bar-stool and serving a few drinks requests, Aman continued across towards the kitchen. Hawthorne, not naturally born or bred to scurry nevertheless scurried after her.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:54 AM   #250
Athaniel
Pile O'Bones

Athaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

The light grew ever fainter. A soft drizzle started to pour down while Mentha Greenhands crossed the meadows near Bywater. As the water touched her face she felt as if someone else was crying for her, because she had no more tears to shed.

Ever since those terrible events of the previous year her heart has felt so empty. There had been some who had tried to console her, but they had not been able to overcome her grief. The sorrow had evoced a sense of non-belonging, neither to Hobbiton, nor to the Shire. In the recent past she had been wandering through Woody end, hoping to meet some elves who might know of a place where all sorrow would cease and the heart would heal. But she never meet any.

By now the drizzle had become a full-scale downpour of rain. Mentha hurried miserably along untill she saw the lights of the Green Dragon Inn. "Maybe I should drop in there untill the rain stops. A glass of Hot Whiskey would do me good before I return home", she thought as she entered the inn and sat down at a table in the corner.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:10 AM   #251
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Hawthorne could not believe her great good fortune. She had actually persuaded the Innkeeper to offer her a real position! In all her years in Brandy Hall, no one had ever asked her to do anything practical. How proud and surprised Dandelion would be when she learned that her young charge had been given the responsibility of cooking and preparing all the meals.

Gloating over this propitious turn of events, yet still a little muddled from the excitement of the trip, Miss Hawthorne did not even stop to consider why Dandelion and the cart were hours overdue. All thoughts of Dandelion were hastily pushed out of Hawthorne's mind as the hobbit scurried behind Aman in the direction of the kitchen.

Introducing Hawthorne to Ruby and Buttercup, the Innkeeper explained that the newcomer would be taking over the cooking, and that both of them needed to help her until she became more familiar with the kitchen. Hawthorne heaved a sigh of relief when she heard these words. Peering into the ovens, Hawthorne could also see the venison was already dressed and roasting very nicely. At least for today, she did not have to worry about how to clean and cook a deer.

Aman quickly excused herself, explaining that she needed to go tend to a number of new guests who'd just arrived. As Hawthorne saw the door close, leaving the three of them alone, the lass immediately decided on a practical plan that would save her neck for the next day or so. Hawthorne Brandybuck was not very good at cooking but she was good at giving orders. She'd been doing it her entire life. Turning around to face Ruby and Buttercup, she beamed. "I'm glad we're going to be working together! But it's very important that I understand exactly where your own skills lie, and what you still need to learn. So this is what we will do... For the next day, I will observe everything you do and take notes in my journal." Hawthorne held up a small book and a pen, waving it in under Ruby's nose. "So please, hop to and get the supper out immediately. There are guests outside who are clamoring for food. Meanwhile, I'll just sit here and observe things."

With that, Hawthorne poured herself a glass of milk, plopped down into a kitchen chair, and put her feet up on the fender of the hearth. She leaned back and began to scribble something in her book as she watched Ruby and Buttercup run back and forth across the kitchen.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 10:23 AM January 16, 2004: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-16-2004, 10:24 AM   #252
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Buttercup and Ruby

‘Hop to! Well, now who died and made her the big frog in the pond?’

Ruby pushed the wisps of hair from her forehead now damp with sweat. As she scooped up spoonfuls of vegetables to accompany the slices of venison on the plates that Buttercup passed her, she noted her friend’s cheeks had gone a dangerous shade of crimson . . . and she was muttering as she attacked the haunches of meat with a large carving knife.

‘I think we should speak to Miz Aman about her “new hire”,’ whispered Ruby, leaning in close to Buttercup. She could hear the litany of muttered imprecations as the other woman took each slice with the knife:

‘Skills! . . . and who does she think she’s talking to . . . still need to learn! Cook taught me all I need to know . . . she’s the one what needs to learn, if there’s any learning to be done . . . and look at her sitting there like some high and mighty little missy . . . who in blo . . .’

‘Buttercup! Hush! She’ll hear you. We’ll talk to Miz Aman – see if she can sort this out.’ If we ever get time, that is, she added to herself, with all this “hopping” we’re going to be doing.

Buttercup turned for a moment and stared at Hawthorne. She was sitting with her feet propped on the rung of another chair, a cool glass of milk in her hand. Her eyes were fixed on her little journal as her pen scrabbled over the pages. Buttercup glared at the woman and shook the knife at her, then turned back to her friend.

‘You may talk to Miz Aman all you want, Ruby Brown. I’m writing to Miz Bunce!’

And with that she skewered another small roast from the pan and brought it to the cutting board, slicing it in sure swift strokes with a skillful and deadly precision . .
Old 01-16-2004, 11:57 AM   #253
Melisil
Wight

Melisil has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Melisil

Melisil looked up to what Aman had to say, she smiled as she said her small speech. "I'm not really hungry just yet, I ate just a bit ago as you know. Yourself?" she asked, turning to Eruisto.

To her left she overheard a fellow Elf praising the Shire. Melisil nodded to herself in agreement. She shook herself as she looked back to Eruisto, "I'm sorry, what were we saying?"

Eocalad

Eocalad rode down a much used rode, he stopped at an inn wich had been recomended to him by a friend, 'The Greeen Dragon'. He jumped off his steep just outside the door, handing the reigns and a couple coins to a stable boy. "Be very careful with this horse." he told the boy.

Quite truthfully he had only just bought the horse and so far it had been less then what he had expected. Either way, a horse deserves to be well treated.

Eocalad opened the door and walked in just in time to hear who he supposed must be the innkeeper, announce that dinner would be soon. He rubbed his hands together, ah, just the thing after a days ride. he smiled inwardly as he walked over to the counter. There wasn't a free spot anywhere.

"Bit busy tonight, eh?" he said laughingly to a man in a stool to his right. The man grunted and looked the other way. Eocalad shrugged this off and turned, his back now to the counter. Not only is this place busy, it's full of Elves! he thought shocked to himself, For an inn of the Shire, you'd think they would avoid it, they must feel like giants! As he thought this he checked himself and realized that he was just as tall as many of the Elves. For an inn of the Shire, you'd think I'd avoid it. I feel like a giant!

Eocalad jumped. Now standing right in front of him was a Hobbit! "Oh, uh, hello there Hobbit." he said very awkwardly, for by now he was thinking that all the Hobbits in the Shire must hate him for being too tall. He inched his way to one side. There was another Hobbit! He started the other way, same problem. Oh dear! he turned the other way, calming himself down again, Really! They must be used to us tall folk, nothing to be afraid of. He turned around again, the Hobbits had moved. One of the tale had an empty seat, he walked over to it, and sat down.

"Good Evening people of this table!"
Old 01-16-2004, 01:37 PM   #254
Fool Of A Took
Haunting Spirit

Pipe

Finrod

Finrod were riding up the hill and looked down at the peaceful village Bywater. I love The Shire, he thought and smiled. He jumped of his horse and walked the rest of the way to the Green Dragon Inn. He first walked to the stable to leave his horse there. He saw a man sitting outside, looked like he was sleeping. Finrod coughed and the man looked up. The man bowed and Finrod said "I whant you to take good care of my horse". The man nodded and said "I will, master Elf". Finrod smiled and left the man and his horse. He walked over to the Inn and read the sign, The Green Dragon Inn, he opened the door and removed his hood and looked around himself. He had never been in these parts of The Shire before.

As the dinner were getting served Finrod thought that he could some too. But he wasnt very hungry, so he just ordered some vegetables and a glas of fresh water. He sat down and scouted the Inn with his deep blue eyes. Many people were eating and he saw that they also had a Common Room at this Inn. Maybe I should go there and see whats going on, he thought. He got his vegetables and glas of water. When he were finished with his small meal, he rose up and walked to the Common Room. Now when he had got some food he whanted to talk to someone. He sat down in a armchair near by the fireplace. He saw a few other elves sitting in a corner and two hobbits sitting close to the fireplace and discussing something with excitment. He drew a deep sigh and then looked around himself for someone else that he could have a nice talk to.

~~

Ferdibrand Took

Ferri got confused by Girds silence so he just shrugged his shoulders and sat down again and started eating. He looked at Gird a few times between his chewing and thought that he was a strange man. Ferri leaned back into the chair. As Gird still didnt say anything Ferri scouted the Inn whitout taking notice of Gird.

Ferri got tired of the silence between them so he said "Why are you so quiet?". Gird looked at Ferri. Ferri awaited Girds answer.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 2:42 PM January 16, 2004: Message edited by: Fool Of A Took ]
Old 01-16-2004, 02:38 PM   #255
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Aman whistled to herself cheerfully as she came into the relatively cool Common Room in a rather dramatic waft of smoke, which seemed to be appreciated by that strange fellow Gird, who clapped mildly, nodded politely, much to the apparent bemusement of his companion. But at least one of Aman's problems was, for the meantime, assuaged; after Cook had left, and Serilda so soon after actually coming, Aman had felt terrible about running the dedicated pair of hobbits around like that, not to mention herself. But this Hawthorne...strange that she should be so well educated in cooking, after all Meriadoc had said! But she had seemed so competent when Aman had asked her if she knew about cooking, elaborated in such detail; Aman had never been a cook herself. And Ruby and Buttercup were excellent company for anyone, as had been found by most anyone who passed through the Inn, as well those who had stayed for long; Pio, Derufin, Uien... - the Innkeeper reckoned it wouldn't take too long for the three hobbits to get on perfectly.

In high spirits, Aman ducked into the bar, still whistling chirpily.

"Ooh, Miz Aman, you gave me a fright; does do terrible things to one's heart to hear such a chirpin' comin' from so far above one's head, and inside too!"

The voice of an elderly hobbit-woman had Aman turn straight away to peer over the bar, and a moment later an deeply wrinkled but cheerful face appeared over the bar; the face of Rosemary Burrows, a hobbit whose recognisably voice seemed caught between the quaint Shire dialect and the high-and-mightys she spent much time with (after all, she liked a gossip as much as anyone). Still, Rosemary herself was as down to the ground as her namesake, and highly respected by Aman with it. The woman had a manner as delicate as a rose-petal but was a stern and competent teacher and that old cracked voice when at full throttle made many-a naughty hobbit bairn quail and wonder if there was a balrog on the patrol.

"Good afternoon, Miss Burrows; the day treating you well?" Aman inquired politely, turning sidewards so as to be able to prepare a cup of strong coffee, a beverage Rosemary drank almost religiously, whilst not having her back to the elderly hobbit.

She nodded and shifted her shawl with a sound like rustling snakeskin. "Aye, aye, 'twill suffice I daresay," she murmured, but smiled slightly as she said it. As Aman pushed the cup of coffee across the bar, her smile widened and she reached with one gnarled finger to it before stopping and pointing said finger at Aman almost accusingly. "Thankyou, my dear - but now listen, what's this about a Miz Hawthorne Brandybuck, hmm?" She stirred the coffee reflectively, giving Aman a sly sidewards look.

"What's that then, Rosemary?" came the mild reply. Aman knew full well that Rosemary probably knew very little, but had the talent of being able to convey she knew alot more. And 'twas only natural that the hobbit woman would take an interest, part-time gossip that she was, in Hawthorne's arrival at The Green Dragon.

But Rosemary knew more than Aman had suspected. She drove a finger into the bartop dramatically. "Why, that she's a-come to the 'Dragon to fix herself a place! A job! Daughter of that silly woman of-"

"How did you find that out so fast?" Aman was genuinely a little mystified. The old woman shot her another sly look and cackled slightly to herself. Aman couldn't help smiling as she leant forward on the bar towards Rosemary, curious herself about Rosemary's curiosity.

"So fast- psh!" she grinned roguishly, then went on. "But 'tis 'daftest thing I ever heard, to be sure...."

"Hmm?"

Rosemary looked up. "Why, the girl's been spoilt rotten all her life! I reckoned things would change for her under her cousin's excellent supervision of the Manor, but not so dramatically as packing Miss Priss off to an Inn! Why, the girl can't even clean, I should think! Has a maid!"

Aman froze. "A...a maid?"

Rosemary, apparently unaware of Aman's discomfort as she sipped at the rich dark beverage in front of her, nodded fervently as she put the cup back down into it's saucer. "Oh, indeed! A full staff of-"

"Miz Aman, can I have a word?" Ruby, standing harrassed at Aman's elbow with a steaming plate in each hand, cut off Rosemary at a vital point. The Innkeeper paused, worried at what may have come next, but mealtimes were no time for pause at any Inn within a ten mile radius of the Shire.

"Indeed Ruby, but let's get the meal sorted first."

"Of course, of course..." Ruby nodded firmly in reply, a Shire girl through and through, but the look of harrassed worry remained on her face. Buttercup had also come out of the kitchen, but, scanning the room, Aman caught no sign of the fine hairstyle of the newcomer amid the delighted Shire-folk...where was Hawthorne? Probably sorting something out in the kitchen... "Well, I wish you a good afternoon, Miss Burrows, and 'twas nice talking to you, as ever." Aman smiled charmingly and Ruby placed a plate of tantalising meat and veg under the old woman's nose. Rosemary rubbed her old hands together delightedly and, replying vaguely, she tucked into her meal and Aman scooted towards the kitchen, pausing to holler over her shoulder to the Common Room in general:

"Please pay as you take your meal, ladies and gentlemen, thankyou kindly!"

Darting into the steamy kitchen, Aman saw Buttercup holding a carving knife and looking murderous with it and involuntarily took a step back. "Miz Aman, could Ruby and I have a word?" she intoned darkly. Something strange appeared to be happening to cause her eyebrows to slide and dart in Hawthorne's direction.

"Aye, Buttercup, certainly - straight after lunch alright for you? There'll be time now we have more help, I'm sure..."

Buttercup snorted enigmatically and, taking up several more plates than should have been possible. Taking a few of her own, Aman turned to see Hawthorne lying comfortably by the fire, her feet up, scribbling in a notebook and couldn't help blinking. "Hawthorne? Come on, it won't serve itself I'm afraid."

The hobbit looked up, her mouth a round 'O' of surprise. "But...but I was going to overse..." she trailed off as Aman's look, almost inperceptibly, hardened a fraction. Standing and smoothing her dress, she looked around unhappily. "Erm...yes..."

Spending no more time, confident in Hawthorne's experience, Aman swept back into the Common Room to deliver her plates at the bar and to the tables.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:30 PM   #256
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Eruisto

"What were we saying?" Melisil turned back to Eruisto after pausing to glance over at someone in the common room.

"I think something of a lull had fallen," he replied. He wasn't particularly hungry either: he usually ate much later than this, and it was mostly in the kitchen with the servers, charming them into giving him leftovers. It would be odd for him to eat in the common room with the other guests, not to mention actually paying for his food. Even sitting in this chair next to Melisil was bizarre: he spent a lot of time in inns singing a children's song from Gondor that he passed as a ballad by tweaking the key or adding a couple of grace notes. It almost always worked, since he chose his inns carefully. He made sure that most Gondorian songs would not have reached them.

While he rifled through songs he knew, trying to find a suitable one, he asked Melisil, "Do you ride much, my lady? Horses, I mean. I'm fond of them, but don't get to ride; I could never afford to buy a horse, though I could have gotten here a lot faster if I'd had one."

Rie and Erulon

The two old friends were chatting, catching up, when Aman announced dinner. Rie brightened at the thought of food.

"Are you hungry, Erulon?" she asked. "I know I'm about to pass out. But you know how I can be; my father always marvelled at how much I could eat. I ate enough to feed all my brothers and have some left over at supper, he'd always insist. I don't think I eat that much, but I am famished." She broke off abruptly, and looked at Erulon's companion. "I don't think we've met properly. I'm Talmérië, but you can call me Rie. Any friend of Erulon's is a friend of mine. You're Irewnath, right?" Hardly giving Irewnath time to nod, she plowed right ahead. "Well, I'll get supper for us. What would you like?" Catching her breath, she beamed at Erulon and Irewnath, flipping one of her braids idly behind her shoulder.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:16 PM   #257
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Silmaril

After a short chat with Fungrim, Hamfast went back into the inn for dinner with Ruby. Hamfast started to sweat and his pulse quickened; his face grew red and couldn't keep a strait face.

Walking to the kitchen, Hamfast saw her. The pure heavenly perfection of absolute beauty, Ruby Brown. Ruby seamed to have freshened up since they met, although this didn't suprise him.

"Good Evening Ruby." Hamfast said as he slightly calmed. A strange feeling that everybody in the Inn was watching him came over Hamfast, a feeling that his arranged dinner with her had been a dream.

"Buttercup, i'm going on my," she paused, thinking for the right word, "break now" Ruby gave a small wink. This cheared Hamfast up as he now knew she wasn't dreading this.

"Uh...shall we sit down then?" Hamfast said with a soft, cool voice. "Alright, there's a secluded spot over here." and she pointed to a table moved far away from the crown, as if moved just seconds before.

Hamfast and Ruby Brown walked uncomfortably twords the table. The table had a small daisy in a glass vase with golden plates waiting for them. Clearly this wasn't makeshift.

"S'hows was you day" Hamfast asked uncomforably as Buttercup came twords them. Before Ruby could answer, buttercup interjected "Scuse me ma'am, but miss aman walks to see you." Ruby gave buttercup a look as to say If i go, you're gonna pay. But buttercup gave ruby a cold look and said in a wisper so Hamfast couldn't hear it "ma'am...she knows."

Shock filled Ruby's face as she stood frozen. Standing up, gasping for breath as if she'd taken a run around the shire she said "I am infinitly sorry for this, but i must go. this is a matter of no small importance. please understand"

Hamfast had a creatfallen face, but with a sigh, he nodded. With a slight shrug, Ruby gave Hamfast a kiss on the cheek and left for the entrance.

"This will not be the last time I shall see you, Ruby! For I am sure i will see angels more than once in my lifetime!" he shouted. Ruby stopped, smiled, and walked off into the distance.
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
Old 01-16-2004, 07:42 PM   #258
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Sírabel Delone

"This nasty bump?" questioned Sírabel as she sat down at the table, "It's really very silly, but you see, i was trying to recover something from under the table when i happened to hit my head. Not to worry though my friend Lanus attempted to cleaned it up for me, though i don't know how effective it was. Dear Lanus, the poor should I delivering messages today." she smiled and then her mood changed suddenly “ No! Not poor Lanus at all, you know what, he was quite horrid to me today if i remember correctly.” she sighed

“Anyhow, I don't know if I told you before, my memory was shaken up a bit as well im thinking, But im an artist. I paint mainly landscapes.” she mentioned flicking her burgundy hair form her face. “And when I heard you mention Carn Dum I had to ask you about it. I would have imagined it to be quite a haunting place, is it not? And the spirits you told me about, simply terrifying!” Here eyes were now as wide as saucers, “You must be terrifically brave to go to such a place, well i will heed your warning Eradan, thankyou.” she smiled at her new friend. “Tell me about yourself, how does a man come to go to such places?”

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 01-16-2004, 08:11 PM   #259
Will Witfoot
Haunting Spirit

Will Witfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Fungrim looked at the young hobbit and smiled, for the first time in ages with no hint of bitterness in it. Only sorrow.

"That song tells of the greatest of our cities of old, the great hold of Khazâd-Dum." He gave a deep, heartfelt sigh before continuing.

"You must be wondering about my weeping. Many years ago I was bannished from the hold of the Iron Mountains for failing to protect.. a dear one. The song served as a bitter reminder of what I had lost, and for that I wept. I wept for the life that I lost all those years ago."

He rubbed the tears away with the back of his hand and turned to Hamfst again, smiling sadly. "If you wish, I can teach you more songs of the old days, but not tonight. My heart is too burdened with sorrow. But now, I guess you have other things to do than to sit and listen to my life story."

Hamfast went back inside, and Fungrim stayed sitting on the bench from which Hamfast had found him. It seemed as if the burden had been eased when he had talked to someone, someone compasionate and willing to listen. He felt a strange, sorrow like joy. The wound, after festering all these long years, was begining to heal.
Herein, it is said, the power of Ulmo was shown. For he gathered tidings of all that passed in Beleriand, and every stream that flowed from Middle-earth to the Great Sea was to him a messenger, both to and fro
Old 01-16-2004, 08:34 PM   #260
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Iris of Bree

Iris sighed and said, “I never knew Finduilas until just recently. I found out she was blind and I told her relatives just to forewarn them so they wouldn’t be completely shocked when Finduilas told them herself. That was obviously a mistake,” Iris said icily, narrowing her green eyes. “Finduilas left and I felt it was my duty to come after her and bring her back home.”

Duty . How she hated the word. It was because of duty that she was still in Bree, living in that maggot hole that she called home. She snorted slightly, and drank a draught of cider. But then Finduilas had come: like a white lily after a storm. Sad, yet smiling at the same time. “I don’t understand how one in need of so much care can make so many friends,” she said softly to Romenna, glancing up at her. With a soft sigh, she added, “I never had a friend.”

A thin smile broke upon her face, and said, “What of you, Romenna?”

Old 01-17-2004, 02:26 AM   #261
Fool Of A Took
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Finrod

Finrod leaned back in the chair again and stared into the fireplace. He did almost fell asleep. The Shire is great, he thought and smiled for himself. He then rose up and walked to the bar and ordered an ale. He sat down at a barchair by the counter and waited for the ale. As he waited he saw a hobbit sitting beside him, he seemed drunk. The hobbit looked at him smiled. Finrod smiled back and looked at the hobbit as he were trying to get down from the chair. He got his ale and he started to sip it slowly.

The ale in The Shire are really tasty, he thought. He started to feel more lonely, and he hated the lonely feeling. He tapped his fingers at the counter and started to daydream about Eryn Lasgalen. He did that for nearly ten minutes, then he finished his ale and went back to the Common Room. He sat down in the same chair in front of the fireplace and yawned. He tried to find someone to talk to.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:26 AM January 17, 2004: Message edited by: Fool Of A Took ]
Old 01-17-2004, 12:01 PM   #262
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

For the next two hours, Hawthorne ran back and forth from the kitchens to the dining area, carting hot dishes to the tables and inquiring if the guests would like additional food or drink. Despite coming from a wealthy family, Hawthorne was not a lazy hobbit and, like many of her kind, could work very hard if the situation required. She had evidently decided that having a job was preferable to being set adrift on the highways or being ordered to return to Buckland.

This time she tried her hardest. She was polite and friendly to all the guests and heaved up the trays with a cheerful will that suggested she'd been doing it all her life. She even made a point of offering her help to Buttercup, since Ruby had been called away to speak with another guest.

I'm getting the hang of this, she confidently told herself. And I have a good idea how to get menu suggestions! When everyone goes to sleep, I'll post a notice in the Inn, announcing a contest for new recipes ...

In the midst of her happiness, she heard the door of the Common Room fling open with a crash. Glancing over at the entryway, she was shocked to see Dandelion, her servant and companion. Dandelion's dress was thoroughly soaked, wrinkled and streaked with dirt; she had an angry expression upon her face. At Dandelion's shouder stood Samwise Gamgee, the mayor of Hobbiton, and a close friend of Master Merry of Buckland. The Mayor was also staring over in Hawthorne's direction, and he looked quite upset, as if he'd caught one of his own daughters with her hand in the cookie jar.

Dandelion stepped forward and, with a commanding tone that she did not generally use with her employer, bellowed out for all to hear, "Mistress Hawthorne Brandybuck, please come here at once! You and I have something to discuss."

Her cheeks reddened with embarassment, Hawthorne set down her tray of dishes and slunk over to the door.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:40 PM   #263
Thengal
Haunting Spirit

1420!

Aramil pulled the hood of his cloak over his head as he truged towards his second home, The Green Dragon. Well the Dragon, my old friend, looks like I'll be staying the night again.

He came to the inn, opened the door and immediatly upon entering felt much better. He pulled his hood down and made his way to his seat at the corner of the bar. "I'll have one the usual." Aramil said to the bartender who had already prepared it before he even said a word. The ale slide down to him and he his hands grapsed the wooden mug. "Well, here's to a long night and forgetting my worries." he said as the cool ale quenched his thrist. Aramil sat at the bar thinking about his troubles. He drank and the more he drank the clearer he thought. Or so he thought. Would be nice to have someone to talk to, sitting by my lonesome over here in the corner.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:14 PM   #264
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Buttercup

As she walled at a quick pace toward the kitchen with her empty tray, Buttercup saw Hawthorne, her cheeks crimsoned, set down her tray of dishes and slink over to the door. Her own cheeks reddened at the sight, and she spoke out, unthinking. ‘Now if that don’t beat all! She’s gone off in the midst of “helping” and left me to handle the dinner crowd alone!’

Thinking on how Cook might handle this ‘situation’, Buttercup walked up to the table where the newcomer stood at bar with his ale. ‘Sir, I know you’re a guest here for the moment, but you look a like man who’s been drafted into helping out in situations before.’ She looked him up and down in an appraising manner. ‘I’ll need your strong arms to carry out a few necessary things if I’m to get this crowd fed.’ She motioned for him to follow, and in passing, directed the Innkeeper, ‘if she pleased . . .” of course, to clear off the bar top.

Aramil proved a handy fellow as he carried out stacks of plates and bowls and eating utensils, followed by the great platters of sliced venison and pots of vegetables and baskets of bread with accompanying butter that Buttercup prepared for the ‘boofay’ as she called it.

‘Come and get more if it’s needed, sir,’ she directed him. And after your done with your own meal, I’ll be needing some help with the dishes if you don’t mind . . .’

From the kitchen she could hear Miz Aman calling out in the Common Room for the hungry horde to 'Come and get it!'

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 2:26 PM January 17, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-17-2004, 01:22 PM   #265
Thengal
Haunting Spirit

1420!

Although, happy to help, Aramil went through the motions of everything, his mind always on his troubles. He never got any peace from them, they constantly loomed over him and cast a shadow of gloom on his face.

Too many things flying around up there at once. I have to clear the clutter out
Maybe someone in the inn could help me out?

Carrying dishes did take his mind of things, so would ale, if he ever go back to it....
Old 01-17-2004, 03:22 PM   #266
Fool Of A Took
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Finrod

Finrod sighed and then rose up. He decided to sit by the bar again. He could at least try to talk to the bartender then. At distance, he saw a man sitting by the counter that seemed troubled. He sat down beside him and said to the bartender "An ale for me, please". He smiled to the stranger beside him that looked down at the counter.

Finrod got his ale and he said to the stranger that still sait quiet "Well, good evening to you, sir, what troubles you?". He smiled to the stranger and then the stranger looked up. "Maybe I should introduce myself. I am Finrod Silimaurë from Eryn Lasgalen. And you might be..?" Finrod awaited his answer.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:06 PM   #267
Thengal
Haunting Spirit

1420!

"I'm.. Amaril from a.....Bree!" Amaril said as the ale began to take effect. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] "I'm a regular here at the Dragon." "She's me home away from...." Amaril began to trail off and wished he could remember what the stranger's name was.

What is his name?"Well my dear fellow I'm a regular here at the Dragon and...uh...I'm here regularly at the Dragon." "Barkeep...I'll have another ale and one for my friend here!"

Amaril went on, about his troubles, getting more confusing all the while, telling the stranger about his debt and how his donkey died.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:29 PM   #268
Melisil
Wight

Melisil has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Melisil

"Do you ride much, my lady? Horses, I mean. I'm fond of them, but don't get to ride; I could never afford to buy a horse, though I could have gotten here a lot faster if I'd had one."

"Horses? Oh I love them! I ride them when I can." Melisil replied happily. Thinking of Melca, her horse, she continued: "Yes, horses are a wonderful thing. So graceful yet strong! I have my horse here. His name is Melca. It's a pity you've never had one though."

"Do you know what time it is?" she started, unsure of how long she had really been here now.

Melisil couldn't think of much else to say at the present, so she stopped, and waited for his reply. As it also had been a very long time since she had been anywhere in the Shire, or Middle-Earth for that matter, without having some message she must deliver, or a place she had to go to, that at this moment she felt peace. No obligations to fufill, no journey to go on, just rest. She did not even feel like doing anything at that moment either way, so she was happy. Peace, calm she thought to herself, are very lovely feelings indeed.

---------------------------------------------

Eocalad

"Good, I hope." he answered to his own question as no one at the table had done so yet. He looked around, thinking that there must be many interesting people in this inn, and he should choose one to talk to.

He stood up, looked around, and walked over to the bar again, This seems to be the area newcomers go to most often. he observed as though he had been here from quite some time. Now I guess I only have but to wait for someone to come in! Eocalad wiggled his fingers as he waited, he was terribly impatient.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:30 PM   #269
Eruantalon
Wight

Eruantalon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruantalon
Sting

Erulon and his friend smile at each orther. Rie could be vary interesting to talk to. They both thought it over, then came to an agreement.

"What ever is the cooks specialty or what your having is fine with us."

"Its nice to meet you Telamarie. I don't feast on shire specialtys often. So what ever you recomend is fine with me. Elvish food probaly won't be found anywhere around here"

"If you need any help make shure to call me Rie. I'm always happy to help. Oh and bring a doubble helping for me. I'm starving!!"

She made her way off to get them all to somthing good to eat. Thats when Irwen started to speak.

"We can stay here for a time. Yet you know it isn't your home. You know where we have to go. Even though Ries hospitality is so fine. She is a good friend it seems."

Erulon smiled. "Yes she is and that is why I can tell her of our recent journey. We can trust her. If we can trust anyone in the whole of the shire it is her."

The elfs bright laughter seemed to tinkle now. He now realized that Rie though differnt from almost any of the second born he had met. Was kind, good and decent. These where the small but great strenths of men.

Telamerie made her way back to the table with a steaming platter. " How good Rie I can smell it from here! Thank you again."
Old 01-18-2004, 01:55 AM   #270
Fool Of A Took
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Finrod

Finrod slowly shook his head and smiled to Aramil. He actually shouldn't have another ale. He seems to have got his dose already, he thought. But Finrod accepted to join Aramil and have another ale. Finrod listened with excitment to the stranger's stories about how his donkey died and other problems that troubled his mind. Finally he stopped. The stranger seemed like he was going to cry, but he didn't. Poor fellow, Finrod thought. Aramil ordered another ale again as he finished his first, but Finrod just wanted a glas of water this time.

"I dont think you should drink much more ale, Aramil", Finrod said and looked at him. Aramil seemed like he were going to fall of the barchair. Aramil then put away his ale he just got and shook his head. Finrod sighed and then said " So, is there anything I can do for you?" Finrod actually knew that he couldn't do very much. Aramil still sat quiet and Finrod awaited his answer.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:25 AM   #271
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Pipe

Niluial looked under the couch, her heart was racing. I have looked under the tables, on couches even under couches… where is Silma? Niluial questioned. She loved Silma dearly and couldn’t just loose her black cat. There are peculiar people everywhere, she must be frightened and very lost and maybe someone is harming her Niluial looked around. She had looked everywhere and Niluial didn’t want to ask the guests in the Inn if they had seen her cat, she didn’t want to speak to strangers, none at all. I might end up meeting people like that Iris, Niluial gasped. She searched the guests looking for the angry face she had seen earlier on. Maybe Iris knows where Silma is Niluial thought.

Niluial pushed through a few people, the people glared at her. She spotted Iris, she was actually smiling in the distance. It was a smile with meaning, not a pathetic, fake smile, but one with meaning. Romenna looked happy not upset like before as Iris spoke to her. Iris must have been talking about something interesting and intriguing because Romenna looked happy and intrested. Iris could be a nice girl, I suppose thought Niluial. Niluial jumped, her thoughts had gotten away with her once again. She remembered Silma and decided to walk over to Iris and Romenna. They both looked up when Niluial arrived at the table “Ah, hi again” Niluial said shyly.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 7:26 AM January 18, 2004: Message edited by: Niluial ]
Old 01-18-2004, 09:06 AM   #272
Thengal
Haunting Spirit

1420!

"Ya can....ooooooh." Aramil said as he fell from his stool. He hit his head hard as he fell with a resounding thud. Everything got blurry and Aramil didn't know where he was.

"Where...?" Aramil started, but wasn't sure how to continue. His head spun and he couldn't feel his left leg. Suddenly, it clicked. Now I remember. He stood up woozy and used the bar to hold himself up. "I am Aramil the Great, King of the Shire!" he proclaimed to the stranger. "And what is your name my noble knight?"
Old 01-18-2004, 02:11 PM   #273
Fool Of A Took
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Finrod

Aramil suddenly fell of his stool and hit his head. Finrod got worried and helped him up. "Are you alright?" Finrod asked. Aramil seemed dizzy and when he tried to stand up alone, he just tottered. So Finrod grabbed his arm and walked him back to his stool. "Where...?" Aramil finally said and looked at Finrod as he had seen him before. He seemed to not recognize Finrod. "I am Aramil the Great, King of the Shire!" he proclaimed to Finrod. "And what is your name my noble knight?" Finrod shook his head slowly and turned to the bartender. "A glas of water to my frined please" he said.

Finrod wasn't used with men that got drunk, but he knew that water a little helped. I guess it's no idea to introduce myself again to him, he won't remember it later when isn't drunk anymore, he thought. He gave Aramil the glas of water and Aramil drank it. Aramil were tottering again, but Finrod helped him to sit at his stool. "No more ale for you" Finrod said and sighed. Now what am I going to do, he thought, I am standing here with a drunk man that cant even stand up, and I can't just leave him. I guess I have to stay here until he can walk whitout help again. So Finrod sat down at his own stool beside Aramil again.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:15 PM January 18, 2004: Message edited by: Fool Of A Took ]
Old 01-18-2004, 03:03 PM   #274
Wingfoot

Sting

The day had progressed, and the light had slowly faded until the merry laterns of the little Inn had become a source to the lowly shadows of the dusk. As if in mourning for the spent Sun, the muscians had abandoned their jovial dancing tunes for a more settling, peaceful air.

Long fingers curling about the tarnished mug of steaming water he’d ordered, the Gondorian looked on as couples cleared the tableless area of the Common Room that was the dance floor, and retreated to their own mugs of whatever it might be. Sighing contentedly, he shifted his eyes about the room, his interest peaking as grey orbs washed over men, hobbits, elves, all gathered in this place called the Green Dragon Inn. That same wry smile painted across thin lips, the young man’s eyes wandered elsewhere to rest upon the great stone hearth and the crimson flames coiling and recoiling at its core.

Old 01-18-2004, 06:42 PM   #275
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Silmaril

Hamfast was on his drinking record. 23 nonstop. If Buttercup hadn't stopped him, he'd probably be dead. The thought of his dinner with Ruby felt like swimming through a lake of needles. Still, Hamfast moved on.

Trying to take his mind off of Ruby, Hamfast mingled with some of the Inn folk. After boring himself to death, Hamfast deceided to listen to the tales of men and elves being unfolded in the Inn.

The thought of Ruby Brown's secret was starting to get to him. Did she really have a secret, or was Aman just doing her a favor by getting her out of the date.

Time pased and by now the question drove him mad, so Hamfast walked up to Aman and said, "Ma'am? If I may ask...why did Ruby have to leave dinner? We...uh...were kinda in the middle of something."

"Oh...well...i don't think Ruby would want you to know! Put don't worry, she wasn't bailing on you. She fances you, you know. She told me so. Don't worry your little hobbit head about it! Just take a rest!" Aman said in a soft voice.

Giving in to the power, Hamfast went up to his room, got undressed, and fell asleep. He knew he would dream about the subject for a while, but still he didn't want to think concicously.

Edit: [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] 100th Post [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 7:43 PM January 18, 2004: Message edited by: The Perky Ent ]
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
Old 01-18-2004, 08:39 PM   #276
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Iris of Bree

“Ah hi again,” Niluial said shyly, a faltering smile upon her face.

Iris glanced up at her and the smile vanished. She looked at the black haired woman before her, her kind eyes, her flushed cheeks, yet she looked nervous and anxious. She flashed a half smile her, but then turned to her soup.

“Iris, have you seen Silma?” she asked cautiously, her eyebrows raised. Why did everybody think that people just knew what they were talking about?

Dropping the spoon with surprise, Iris glared up at her and said tightly, “Who is Silma?”

Romenna leaned over and whispered, “It’s her cat.”

“Oh.” What person in their right minds would bring a pet into an Inn? She scowled and rolled her eyes, before folding her arms and glaring into the table.

There was a silence before a black cat, with a trill of meow, leaped to the table and rubbed her face against Niluial’s stomach. Silma, Iris supposed. She vaguely heard Romenna ask Niluial to join them for a bit to eat. So now not only did she have to talk with Romenna, who wouldn’t be too bad to talk to, Iris grudgingly admitted, but she had to also talk to Niluial.

Old 01-19-2004, 02:53 AM   #277
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Hawthorne purposefully marched over to where Dandelion was standing. The young lass stood up to her full three feet and looked Dandelion straight in the eye, thinking it best to take her medicine and be done with it.

The older hobbit fixed a stern gaze on Hawthorne, "You were so anxious to get to Bywater that you left me stranded beside the road. The cart broke an axel just ten minutes after you went galloping off, and I toppled into a ditch. I twisted my ankle, and there was no one to send for help! If Master Samwise hadn't come along on Old Bill, I might have sat out there all night!" Dandelion was not one to enjoy talking back to one of her Brandybuck employers, but she could not let her young Mistress get away with such bad behavior. If Master Merry had been here, he would surely have chewed Hawthorne's ear off.

"I'm sorry. I didn't think," the lass blurted out. "I was excited and in a hurry to get to the Inn." Then she hung her head, "But that's no excuse..."

Master Samwise nodded his approval, "No excuse in the slightest! You are young and strong and should have helped poor Dandelion."

Hawthorne hung her head, then gazed up at the two of them, looking a little sheepish, "I was going to surprise you. I've gotten a job in the Inn, just like Master Merry wanted."

"What sort of job?" asked Dandelion very gently, not wanting to discourage Hawthorne from her good intentions.

"I'm helping out in the kitchen."

"Helping out with the clean up and serving and such? That would be a very good idea."

"Actually, Dandelion, I've been put in charge of the cooking."

Dandelion rolled her eyes towards the heavens and, in pure shock, took a step backwards, nearly keeling into Samwise's arms from the pain in her ankle. All she could say in reply was: "Oh, dear! That's not what Master Merry meant..."

Dandelion sighed loudly and turned to look at Sam, "I'm awfully tired and my ankle is throbbing. I'll take up your kind offer to come stay with you and Rose at Bag-end. Then tomorrow morning, I'll come back down once my cart is fixed, leave off Hawthorne's luggage, and have a little chat with the Innkeeper to try and straighten all this out."

Dandelion leaned closer to Sam and whispered in his ear, "Miss Hawthorne doesn't know one end of a kitchen from the other. We'll have to see about getting her a more appropriate situation." Then Dandelion said her goodbyes to Hawthorne, advising the hobbit lass to work hard and be careful.

Samwise took up Dandelion's arm, gently guiding her towards the door, "I expect you're right, Dandelion. There seems to be a mix-up of some sort, but it can wait till the morning to straighten out. What possible damage can a young lass do in less than a day?"

With this final word of reassurance, Samwise helped Dandelion onto Old Bill's back and, taking up the reins, led the pony westward towards Bag-end.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:00 AM   #278
Er-Murazor
Pile O'Bones

Er-Murazor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"The cut doesn't appear to be infected. In my opinion, it will heal soon. However, it will heal faster if you don't touch it" answered Eradan after looking it for some time. "And don't worry about your memory. As there are no broken bones, this won't have lasting effects, as long as you don't try to break the furniture with your head" he continued with a tiny smile in his lips.

However, when Sirabel mentioned Carn Dum again, the smile faded. "I am no brave man. In fact, I am a coward. If I have lived there for three years it is not because my courage, but because I lack such a thing. I went to Angmar seeking a place to hide from both the rangers of the North and the minions of the Shadow, because I did not honour my vows of loyalty and allegiance. My life has been a dark one. If you want to hear it, I will tell you, but it is a long story and I would want to eat something. Would you mind if I order some of that vegetables soup?" asked Eradan.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:14 AM   #279
Boromir of Gondor

Boots

Please check your PM's (Private Messages)

~*~ Piosenniel, Shire Moderator

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:18 PM January 19, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]

Old 01-19-2004, 09:56 AM   #280
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Crystal Heart has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Crystal Heart entered the Inn, hoping for a nice warm drink. Lately the winds had been too cold for her liking and brought memories of darker times in her past that she had been trying to forget. She entered and looked around, her heart fluttering wildly. She knew it was silly to still look for a face that had long since passed on, but she still looked. Somehow she still didn't believe.

She walked over to the bar gracefully, her cloak sweeping across the floor. It had been her mothers, the only thing of her that she had left. She hoped that she wouldn't stick out to much. A newcomer in this Inn. Sure she didn't look a thing like the locals, with her long red hair and her piercing pine eyes. She knew that many wouldn't see her face, probably wouldn't think much about her since her hood concealed her and her thoughts. Like a safety net that protected her heart from becoming destroyed once again.

She sat down lightly in the stool and smiled lightly.
"Give me the warmest, strongest drink that you have please." She requested as she rubbed her hands together to warm them. They had gone frightfully cold, colder then ice. As if the blood didn't circulate in her slender fingers that had wheeled many swords in her time. Oh, she wasn't old in any way, she just had been forced to grow up quickly. She had been expected to be a young lady that brought fortune to her famished family at the age of ten and she knew now that she would never get those carefree days back. The days of happiness before the death of her beautiful mother.

She hoped this bar would have something so strong that she would sleep without memories, without fear that night. Even though she had no idea where she would even sleep, she wasn't worried. She would find someone to buy her a room. She wouldn't let them in that bed, she had morals of course, but she knew how to be pursasive to a lonely man. She only had a few coins to her name. She knew that if she sold the cloak that concealed her then she would have a lot more coins, but she couldn't bring herself to do it. It was her mothers. Her father had already sold everything else of her mother. This was the one thing she had been able to keep.

She began to wonder if he was looking for her, searching for the daughter that had ran away from her home in the deep darkness of the night. Crystal didn't believe that he was. He was too preoccupied with the new woman in his life that didn't like the fact that he had been married before with a child.

Crystal stopped thinking about her past and waited for her drink quietly as she inspected the room around her.