Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2003, 04:09 PM   #41
Artalwen
Haunting Spirit

Artalwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Artalwen
Sting

The small hobbit, who was called Carie, shifted stance, and stood there for a moment. Looking around yet again, she spotted a lone chair against the wall, and quietly went over to sit down.
"Oomph" she went as she accidently ran into a really tall elf.
"Ooh I am terribly sorry, I didn't mean to!" she explained in a rush, not wanting the elf to be angry with her. It was her first time being around elves, and she didn't want to make a bad impression, for she had always been fascinated with the stories of them, longing to meet one. And here was an elf, that she had run right into!
"Ooh, don't worry about it, darling. What's your name?" the elf asked, leaning down a bit to get a good view of the tiny hobbit.
"I'm Carie. May I ask you of yours?" Carie politely said. She clasped her hands together and looked up into the elf's eyes.
The flowering stars, on crowns they hung
The dragon fire, in twisted wire
They meshed the light of moon and sun."
-verse from a song found in 'The Hobbit'-
Old 01-14-2003, 04:13 PM   #42
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
It was a lot to digest. Sofiya looked quite impressed, and surprised. Morestel laughed quietly. "Now it is your turn; tell me something of your journey."
"Well, there's not much to tell. I am young, 25. There is not much to tell. I left Mirkwood because I was forced to leave this land. But I did not want to leave. My relatives told me that I should leave, they said I was old enough. They said it would be a privalige.

"I ran away when we got near to this village. I hid for a few days and then went to see the port of the grey havens. I did not wish to sail, and I don't think I ever will. This land is too beautiful."

*OCC: is that young for elves?*

[ January 14, 2003: Message edited by: ElentariGreenleaf ]
Old 01-14-2003, 04:31 PM   #43
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

"Oh, no, Laurie, everything is not alright. Mistress Pio was not pleased to discover that 17 hobbits will be eating her out of house and home. And now she has left the entire party preparations in my hands, only I have very little time. At the rate we are going, I will have to ask the guests to come into the kitchen and start cooking."

"Could you possibly take on some of these duties, and dole them out among the kitchen staff and whoever else you can persuade? The party room must be cleaned and streamers and garlands put up, and a grand cake made and decorated. Whoever helps will get to share in the feast, and to meet Frodo, and Samwise, and Bilbo when they come."

Cami wasn't sure what Mistress Pio would say to the latter arrangement, but there was really no way for her to object. Later tonight, I'll suggest some names of folk who might help, but meanwhile you are welcome to contact anyone you want, or to figure out a way to do the work yourself."

Cami threw on her coat and ran out the door, harnessing the pony to the cart for a trip to the market. She carried along a long shopping list.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:45 PM   #44
Lumiel

Lumiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*Lumiel continued to look around in wonder, it was seldom she was part of such a large crowd, though she still didn't feel that she was a "part" of it. She listened to the elf named Sofiya and the other woman named Morestel talking and felt a pang when they spoke of their kin, or lack of kin.

Her bright eyes dimmed a moment as she pressed her lips together and cast her gaze to the floor. Her sorrow was too recent and she closed her eyes tightly to stem off the tears before they came, then when she had regained control of herself, she sighed and again looked up, continuing to listen to the two talk.

Realizing that her curious, though harmless listening may be taken the wrong way if the two elves caught on, she blushed a rosy pink and turned her attention to the green-clad hobbit who had just entered. She studied the hobbit's pretty green dress appraisingly and smiled, deciding that she liked it. Hearing others' comments on hunger, she realized that she wasn't the only one hungry and guessed that food wouldn't be long in coming.*
Old 01-14-2003, 06:01 PM   #45
Aelfwine
Pile O'Bones

Aelfwine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aelfwine stood at the door of the Inn and slowly pushed it open. He had never visited the Green Dragon before. The man knew no one here and was very hungry. But alas he had no money for food.

He walked up to the bar and wondered what to do. Over to the side, he heard two people talking. He tried to strain his ear to hear their conversation. It seemed that if he volunteered to work and help set up a party for a number of hobbits whose names were known to him, he would be rewarded with food. That idea appealed to him greatly.

He walked over to Laurie and drew her aside. "I would like to help and am not afraid of hard work. Might I have a few slices of bread first, as it has been a whole day since I have eaten? Then I will be glad to do your heavy cleaning and moving the tables where you want them."
Old 01-14-2003, 06:11 PM   #46
Lumiel

Sting

*Lumiel looked at the sign that the hobbit Cami had posted and read it, a gay smile creeping across her face. She thought to herself*

"A feast! That would do well for a hungry stomach, and for a lonely heart. I'd be glad to work for my keep!"

*She stood and walked over to Cami, looking down at her with eager eyes*

"Excuse me, but I see you are in need of willing helping hands. I would gladly work for you, if you would have me. I'll do anything!"

*She smiled eagerly at Cami and hope gleamed in her bright eyes, which seemed to shift from green to blue. Her hands were clasped together in an innocent geusture of excitement over her breast.*

[ January 14, 2003: Message edited by: Lumiel ]
Old 01-14-2003, 06:51 PM   #47
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

"Lumiel, you are most welcome. I would be happy to have you assist us. Perhaps you could go to the kitchens and find the ingredients to make a very large cake. It will have to be big enough to feed all 13 of Sam's children, and, being hobbits, they will probably want more than one piece. Plus, I am hopeful that many folk will want to volunteer and share in the feast. You may want to decorate the cake with pictures and list Frodo and Sam's name, along with Bilbo's, on the top."

"I expect Laurie to be back later and, if you have any questions, you can pose them to her. If she's not available, just get back with me and I'll try to help."

Cami looked about the Inn greatly relieved. That was at least two volunteers and she was hopeful that there would soon be more.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:59 PM   #48
Lumiel

Sting

*Lumiel laughed cheerfully, happy to be able to help. She quickly scampered off to the kitchens, where she took off her cloak and put an apron over her dark green outfit that was made more for traveling than cooking. She glanced around the cozy kitchen and saw a large pile of ingredients, all of which would be used in a cake. She walked over to the pile and started to go through the ingredients.*

"Let's see...flour, eggs, sugar...it's been a while since I've baked like this but I'm sure I'll do a good job! I hope..."

*She shook off her pessimism and got to work. She rolled up her sleeves and used a leather strap to tie her hair back. She took out the ingredients she would need and began to search for pots and pans, setting to her dilligent work*
Old 01-14-2003, 07:03 PM   #49
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

As Nuru walked back into the kitchen, she caught sight of the notice put up by Cami. A huge smile appeared on her face, and she ran into the kitchen. Bilbo, Samwise, and his children were coming? Why, she'd known them even before the War of the Ring, introduced to them by Robin Brandybuck! She had been planning on visiting them while she was in the Shire, but she hadn't counted on having enough time. Now they were coming to the inn.

"Oh, I just can't wait to see them," said Nuru excitedly as she began cooking lunch. After burning some toast, she shoved the thought of seeing the hobbits again out of her mind so she could cook lunch properly.

After she had gone about, serving lunch to whoever wished for some, she stopped in front of the notice. "I'll need to help out if I'm to be allowed to go to the feast. Let me go talk to Cami..."

Nuru sought out the hobbit and then said, "Is there anything I can do to help prepare the feast? You see, Bilbo, Samwise, and I are very old friends. Oh, and my friend Rie... well, she would dearly love to come, I'm sure, but she's looking after-" Nuru lowered her voice to a whisper "-that grouchy hobbit woman's niece. Would you mind dreadfully if I snuck them into the party room so they could help?"
Old 01-14-2003, 07:12 PM   #50
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Several more volunteers....that would be just fine. Cami wrote down the names of Nuru, and Rie, and their young friend.

"Perhaps you'd want to take a short walking trip about the Shire and come back with a large batch of green garlands that we could string up in the rafters. And also flowers to decorate the dining tables. I think that Aelfwine will be glad to decorate with them."

Cami gave a hasty glance up to the ceiling and saw cobwebs and fluff balls hanging down.

"One more thing," she called out to Nuru. You might want to try and get some of that down." She poined upward as a lazy string of spider's silk floated down to the floor.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:17 PM   #51
Finiel
Haunting Spirit

Finiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

An Elf...another elf...a hobbit (a very angry one)...third elf...a hobbit....a man, Sarah thought counting every person who recently entered the inn after Derufin left to get some sleep.

Oh my! Those are great eyes. It shifts from blue to green and it reminds me of Queen Beruthiel, she muttered as she saw an elf with extraordinary eyes.

Then after being inside the inn for days, she went out for a jog to smell some fresh air. As she went outside and closed the door of the inn she noticed a sign about some party of a hobbit family and thought that it might be good to help.
"Might do good for me to interact with the natives," she muttered and went inside looking for the assistant innkeeper Cami.
"Hullo!" she said spotting Cami,"may I be of service about some Mr. Frodo's party. I can be a good...erm...waitress perhaps? Or an usherette?...please?" Sarah said waiting for Cami's reply.

It might be good for my lazy bones and my gramps would be proud at least.she thought.
"The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet the light of a bright world dies when day is done. The mind has a thousand eyes, And the heart but one; Yet the light of a whole life dies when love is done."-- F.W. Bourdillon
Old 01-14-2003, 07:21 PM   #52
theWhiteLady
Wight

theWhiteLady has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Laurie listened with care at Cami's directions but watched her run off with bewilderment. How, oh how, were they going to pull this off! Just as she was beginning to despair, a man pulled her aside.

Quote:
"I would like to help and am not afraid of hard work. Might I have a few slices of bread first, as it has been a whole day since I have eaten? Then I will be glad to do your heavy cleaning and moving the tables where you want them."
Laurie let out a sigh of relief. She grasped his hands in a rush of gratitude. "Thank you so much, good sir! Go right into the kitchens and I'm sure someone will be able to find you more than just a few slices of bread to eat. Then we'll see about helping out." She smiled, and felt much better now that she had at least one helper!
Old 01-14-2003, 07:38 PM   #53
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Bebberyn sat across from his liegelady as she ate breakfast, he thought to himself "I wonder what she was thinking of doing in the Shire?, no, most of all I wonder why it is that she came here and will not go back to Dol Amroth."

Umbria looked over her coffee at Bebberyn, her gray gaze strong on him he dared not look at her face. "Why did you not ask if you were so interested my dear Bebberyn."

She smiled, "im sorry Lady Everdawn" he stammered, and he felt ashamed, he forgot she was an elf, and an elf with the gift of perception. Umbria began to speak.

"I was thinking of going to the Grey Havens with Niquinion, my cousin, who now is slain. So now I am directing my study to Hobbits. After that I will return to Dol Amroth one last time. I will retire my position as advisor to the prince, I will release you from your service to me and once again I will go and dwell among my people of Lothlorien."

She paused "Long time I have feared to spend immortality as a thing of wonder passed between the princes of Dol Amroth, you do understand, dont you Bebberyn?"

"yes m'lady" he answered and went to the bar, only to be knocked out of the way by a pretty hobbit woman of 23, her black sausage curls bounded around her shoulders as she turned briefly to apologise while making her way to Cami.

"Cami! Cami!, Its me Snowdrop Morningside! Listen! father sent me over with 100 bottles of harvest wine from our vinyards for the party!... oh dear, Cami, I hope it will do... and to let you know, I am willing ot help with whatever you need!" she said all this very fast and now waited for a reply.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 01-14-2003, 07:40 PM   #54
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

"Right away," said Nuru, but first she walked towards the stairs. Aunt Donnamira had gone off in a huff, saying something about 'those crazy hobbits and children.'

Bounding up the stairs, Nuru came to Rie's room, her eyes sparkling. "Donnamira just left and Bilbo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee are coming today and if you help you get to go to the feast!"

"Bilbo!" Don screamed, running towards the door. "He was the one who taught me to read and write!"

Rie was immediately after the girl. Nuru hurried after them and set to work on getting the cobwebs cleared off the ceiling.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:44 PM   #55
Artalwen
Haunting Spirit

Sting

She clasped her hands together and looked up into the elf's eyes.

"Well now, my name is Erawyn." The elf replied.

The hobbit-girl smiled shyly. "Nice to meet you, Erawyn." she said, holding out her hand.

"Nice to meet you, Carie. Would you please excuse me, I saw an offer for jobs here, and I need something to get a bit of money so that I can continue on my way." Erawyn said. She stood up again, and smoothed out any wrinkles in her boyish pants, and straightened her shirt. She walked over to the hobbit she guessed was in charge. "Hello. I saw the notice on the door, about the jobs? I know I am an elf, an unlikely source to hire for a job here, but I would really appreciate it."

Meanwhile Carie went over to the chair, and sat down. Gazing about, she saw an elf that had been staring at her. Carie was fascinated with the elf's eyes, for they seemed to change colors. Carie's curiosity overtook her shyness, this one time. She got up and, though curious, shyly walked over to the elf.

"Excuse me." Carie said, as she approached the elf. "I could'nt help but notice you. Have your eyes always been that beautiful?" Carie asked, a light blush hinted on her cheeks.

[ January 14, 2003: Message edited by: Artalwen ]
Old 01-14-2003, 08:05 PM   #56
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

"Ah, Snowdrop, I am so very happy to see you," Cami smiled broadly at the hobbit. And, at the back of her mind she thought: However pleased I am to see my friend, and I surely am, I am even more pleased to see the 100 bottles of her father's wine! Maybe Piosenniel will not yell at me so loudly for giving so many people free meals.

"And, Snowdrop, since you know so much about fine wine and ale, why don't you organize our supplies behind and bar and perhaps serve as bartender during the party? That would be a very great help to me."

Finally, she turned to speak with the Elf who had asked if she could help with the party. "And what is your name?" Cami asked.

"Arawyn," the stranger replied with quiet dignity. Cami thought carefully for a minute. "Do you by chance have skill with Elven music? For Bilbo loves the songs and tunes and would greatly enjoy hearing some music with his meal? If that is not something you'd enjoy, then perhaps you can help out in the kitchen with the cooking."

She let the Elf sit down and think about her choices, and told her to let either Laurie or herself know later that night.

[ January 14, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-14-2003, 08:14 PM   #57
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Cami tacked up a large sign on the door of the Green Dragon Inn:

Notice is hereby given to all those who visit the Green Dragon Inn:

Masters Bilbo and Frodo, along with Master Samwise and his family (all 13 children) will shortly be visiting the Inn for a dinner party. Mistress Piosenniel has expressed an interest in seeing the party room cleaned up and decorated, as well as any who would like to work on baking the cake or cooking the other food. All who assist in the preparations will be allowed to feast in the party room, and to meet these famous residents of Hobbiton.

If you are interested, please speak to or leave a note for Mistress Laurie, Inn worker, or Mistress Cami, Asst. Innkeeper, and indicate your willingness to take on one or more chores. You may then get to work immediately. We thank you for your cooperation. It appears that the Shire has been hit by a serious labor shortage which had left us extremely short staffed.

We thank you for your assistance, and hope that a good party will be had by all.

Cami Goodchild, Asst. Innkeeper
Old 01-14-2003, 08:30 PM   #58
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Snowdrop sighed with delight "oh thankyou Cami! thankyou so much... do you by any chance know if Merry and Pippin will be here? I should like to see them again."

Bebberyn of Dol Amroth couldnt help listening to Cami's plea from the elf. "The Lady Everdawn, or Umbria so she is called is gifted at harp playing, she is an elf, you may want to know that" he smiled his most charming smile.

"Should you need help unloading your store of wine?" he asked Snowdrop. "not right now Sir, later perhaps." He bowed and returned to his table with a glass of water.

Snowdrop's eyes widened as she watched Bebberyn walk away "he has a aword!" she backed up closer to the bar in fright. "I did ride by Buckland today and saw no sign of either of Merry or Pippin" she shurgged and took a broom and began to sweep.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 01-14-2003, 09:09 PM   #59
Frodess
Haunting Spirit

Frodess has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Champignonne looked at the two hobbits in wonder. They were so nice to her. and they sacrificed their mushroomsfor her benefit!

"Well, " said she, "I am alone. But I must know your names first. You both look so familiar, but I've never really been out of my neighborhood." She looked at both in turn. Before they could answer her, she turned around, hearing something about "Baggins" and "party". She had heard the name before.

"Before you say anything," she said, seeing the quizzotic looks on their faces, "What is this party? Who is'Baggins'? Do you know him?" Mistakenly she thought that it was only one person; she had only heard one name. Champignonne did not even shy away at this. Her Took curiosity cancelled out her shyness.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:22 PM   #60
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Well, this is my room," Rie said, a twinge of apology in her voice. She had picked up the room some for Nuru, but not entirely, and it still resembled her own room. "It's a little mess--"

"It's fine," Don interrupted, still looking anxious.

"Good," Rie said. "I'm glad you think so." She jumped on the bed, but Don went to stand by the window. The girl looked so forlorn...Rie went to stand by her. "You know," she said, "on my first night here, a man came in with an awful arm injury. Blood all over the place! I helped Pio fix him up, but it rather shook me." Don gave her a knowing look. "Okay, fine, it terrified me, happy? Anyway, I came up here, retreated to my little room, to brood, to wonder what in all of Middle-earth had I gotten myself into, and to be by myself." She laughed. "As usual at this Inn, that didn't happen! Pio came in to see how I was doing. Not that I mind--it was like having my family here." Rie stared up into the sky. "She brought me a warm drink like my mother always did, and she told me a story--the story of Eärendil, the Mariner." Half-closing her eyes, she recited the story that Pio told her.

For a long while they stood in silence. Then, suddenly, Nuru burst in.

Quote:
"Donnamira just left and Bilbo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee are coming today and if you help you get to go to the feast!"
Rie gave a little cry of delight, and didn't hear what Don said after that. They both raced down the stairs, only Rie's slight hesitation preventing a head-on collision.

She had, of course, heard of Frodo, Bilbo, and Samwise--who hadn't? She was born before the War, but had been but a child when it ended. Her father, being a Ranger, had a small part in it, but rarely spoke of it. To meet those who had moved the world with their actions...oh, what a glad wind had brought her to the Inn at such a time! She would clean the cobwebs out of every corner of every room in the entire Inn to meet them--and, she thought laughingly, she just might!

[ January 14, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]
Old 01-14-2003, 09:51 PM   #61
Carrûn
Wight

Carrûn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nárello noticed the sign being tacked onto the door. Shuffling over from his place at the fire the small boy looked up and squinted. He was not the best with letters but clearly made out the words Frodo, Sam, Green Dragon Inn and party. His shrewd mind put the rest together. I should go find Awyrgan and tell him. Or the Rangers. They should know to keep a closer watch on the Road for the next couple of days. He did not bother to think about whether he would actually be able to find those he thought about, being a small boy after all. Moreover, that the guardians of the Roads would have other means of gathering information didn't completly sink into his young mind.

He made his way over to the Innkeeper and seeing that she was preoccupied did his best to wait for a minute. His patience spent, he tugged at her dress. "I would like to leave soon. Can I do my chores now." She looked at him carefuly, reading his eyes; a gental but firm look in her face. I bet Awyrgan told her to keep an eye on me, he thought with some bitterness. Why? I can take care of myself.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:35 PM   #62
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Silmaril

‘Well, that’s that!’ Luinien announced with satisfaction, resting her pitchfork.

She and Tarondo had gotten up early that morning to care for their horses. The somewhat unkempt appearance of the inn’s stables had induced them to remedy the shortfall, in thanks for Mistress Pio’s many kindnesses. Luinien had just finished forking down hay from the loft, and was ready for some breakfast – or luncheon, as it appeared from the sun. But only silence answered her triumphant proclamation.

‘Tarondo?’ Still no answer. He’s probably hiding down there to pounce on me when I come down the ladder, she decided, laying down the pitchfork. Stepping silently across the loft, she approached a rope that dangled over the edge. We’ll see who’s surprised!

Just as she stooped to grasp the rope, she caught a glimpse of movement. Argh! her brain raged for one helpless instant, then a heavy weight crashed into her.

Facedown in the hay, Luinien spluttered futilely, then kicked and squirmed her way out from under her assailant. She tried to wrest free completely, but found herself flat on her back, a capable hand pinning each wrist, and a well-known face grinning down at her wrath.

‘What was that for?’ she demanded. ‘Let me go!’

Tarondo laughed. ‘Why, that was for nothing!’ Seeing by his sister’s lack of appreciation, he continued. ‘Actually, I was done down there and decided to come up and finish the hay for you. You didn’t hear me when I came up the ladder, though, and I thought to sneak up and startle you. Then I noticed how handy these beams were, and…’ he shrugged.

‘And you decided to jump me instead. What a thoughtful brother!’ Luinien glared up at him, but merriment twinkled in her eye. ‘It must have looked funny to see me trying to outwit you, thinking you were waiting under the ladder!’ she giggled. ‘Come on, now, how about letting me up?’

‘Your wish is my command!’ Tarondo released her and helped her to her feet. ‘How about breakfast?’ he inquired as they climbed down the ladder.

‘I’m starving!’ Luinien declared, turning to face him, then broke off in another fit of giggles at the sight. ‘But we’d probably better brush the hay off before we go in!’

Tarondo shouted with laughter. ‘Speak for yourself! Your hair is more gold than black!’

Several minutes later the pair approached the inn’s front door, somewhat disheveled but (nearly) free of hay. They paused to read the notice on the front door; then, eyebrow raised, Luinien turned the knob and entered. She stepped into the room and stopped dead, jaw dropping in astonishment.

The common room was a scene of bustling activity. Various hobbits and Elf-girls scurried here and there, brandishing various culinary and housekeeping implements, bearing loads of food, and wielding mops and dust rags. Cami was muttering over a list of some kind, and a lovely woman-child in white was directing a man toward the kitchens. A few guests still conversed, blissfully oblivious to a red-haired girl who, armed with a broom and climbing on chairs and tables, was enthusiastically attacking the rafters’ cobwebs.

Luinien shook herself out of her paralysis, gave up any thoughts of food for the present, and addressed the anxious hobbit. ‘Mistress Cami, may my brother and I assist you? I cannot in good faith vouch for our cooking, but I can clean’ – she unobtrusively stepped on a piece of hay that had fallen out of her hair – ‘and Tarondo – oh!’ she broke off.

The red-haired girl had swung herself up onto the rafters to obliterate a particularly noxious spider web. In trying to reach it she had slipped, but Tarondo caught her just in time. ‘May I help you?’ he inquired cheerfully.

Luinien turned back to the assistant innkeeper. ‘It looks as if Tarondo’s talents lie in demolishing cobwebs,’ she laughed. ‘May we help?’
Old 01-14-2003, 11:26 PM   #63
Artalwen
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Quote:
"Do you by chance have skill with Elven music? For Bilbo loves the songs and tunes and would greatly enjoy hearing some music with his meal?
Arawyn thought for a moment, then her face brightened. "I remember many songs from my homeland, I can sing, if you wish!"

The hobbit's face brightened with pleasure. Arawyn knew that meant she was to be the musical entertainment. Happily she sat down at a nearby table to eat a meal.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:35 AM   #64
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Cami tried to deal first with Narello. She placed an arm on the boy's shoulder, but feeing his entire body tense up, she immediately drew it back. How strange! This child reminds me of the Elf Noldor, the one whom Andreth introduced me to, who'd had such a difficult path in life.

Cami found it unnerving to be around a child who'd had all of his childhood wrung out of him. But she tried to put that thought to the back of her mind, All she could do was treat him fairly now. "Yes, Narello, could you possibly go out to help the lad in the stable? We need to tidy things up there, as I'm expecting a lot of folk to come over to the Inn the night of the party , and some of them will want to stable their horses and ponies. After that, you're free to leave, but I hope you'll stay around for the party tomorrow."

Finally, Cami turned to Luinien and Tarondo, and smiled at their suggestion to help with cobweb demolition. She nodded her head in agreement with their plan. After hearing that Arawyn would be able to provide the musical entertainment, Cami heaved a sigh of relief, hurled herself down into a chair, and decided she'd best retire for the night. The flurry of activity had completely exhausted her, since she was still getting over her broken ribs.

As she went slowly down the hallway and crawled into bed, a final thought came to mind. Mistress Piosenniel may be in later tonight. I had only expected to get a volunteer or two, but it looks as if the whole thing has exploded. I hope she won't be too angry about giving away so many free dinners.

But at least there were a few things that could be said in her defence. The Inn was beginning to look fantastic, cleaner and finer than it had looked in years, with the fine decorations still to go up. And at least they'd picked up that hundred bottles of wine which was no small thing. Cami crossed her fingers and hoped that her friend would be in a good frame of mind.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:49 AM   #65
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It was early morning of the party day, and Derufin pushed open the door to the kitchen. It was a sizable room, with a large cook stove that boasted two ovens. A somewhat adept cook, at least in the arts of rough camp cooking, he had volunteered to prepare some of the food for the meal. He poked through the cupboards, and nosed about the pantry shelves, seeing what might be available to him.

Out from the larder came butter, whole wheat flour, and fine corn meal. Onions, potatoes, and crisp carrots he found in the cool root cellar, along with a basket of fresh peas, covered with dampened moss to keep them fresh. He hummed to himself as he poked about. Ah! There was the spice drawer near the warm, dry area of the stove and above the short cupboard it was in, hung savory dried herbs of all sorts.

When he had come to the end of his scouting for ingredients, he stepped back, surveying the offerings he had put out on the counters. ‘Hmmm. There are Hobbits coming tonight. Hungry Hobbits, expecting good food and plenty of it. We’re missing a main course, and we’re missing the one food they favor above all others – mushrooms.’

Lumiel was busy frosting and decorating the cake, and he asked her if she would keep watch on the ingredients he had laid out. He was going out for a few hours he said, and then would be back in plenty of time to make the other foods.

He motioned to the man, Aelfwine, who stood out of the way of the busy preparations, eating a slice of bread spread thick with jam. ‘You want to come along? I’m bound for the fishmonger’s stall, to have him put by some fresh, fat eels and salmon for us, and then to the woods for some big, tasty mushrooms to fry up in cornmeal.

On his way across the yard, Derufin spied the young boy he had seen Mistress Piosenniel carrying in her arms to her room. He was walking slowly toward the stable, very slowly, scuffing the toes of his shoes as he went along. It was easy to see he was not bound toward something he looked forward to in the least.

‘Nárello, is it not.’ he said coming alongside the boy. ‘Do you think the horses would miss your company today if you helped me scout out some mushrooms for the party, tonight.’ The boy had stopped, though he did not raise his eyes to meet the man’s. ‘I, for one, am feeling a little hemmed in by all the female attention to detail, and wish to escape dustball patrol or dueling with spiderwebs. A few hours spent wandering in the woods looking for a prime patch of the Hobbit delicacy will give them enough time to get the Inn in shape to their liking, and take their attention off what they can find for us to do.’

He went to the shed near the Inn’s small garden and peeked his head in. ‘There they are!’ he cried, seizing his target and pulling it forth into the light. A number of large baskets with sturdy handles for carrying were brought out and placed on the ground. Derufin closed the door of the shed securely and picked up two of the larger baskets.

‘This way!’ he said, striding quickly down the lane that lead from the Inn’s courtyard . . .
Old 01-15-2003, 04:01 AM   #66
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

It's Proudfeet!

Biffo and Olo were still chuckling and joking quietly to each other about the sign posted on the door, as they walked in and hung up their hats. Biffo, the younger of the two hobbits, also propped a very tall (in hobbit terms) and stout walking staff against the wall.

As Biffo looked around the common room, which was bustling as always, he did not see any familiar faces from his previous night's stay. Even the innkeepers Pio and Cami were apparently nowhere to be seen. This didn't bother the hobbit in the slightest, however, and the promise of a fancy Inn dinner paid for by his uncle kept him as jolly as could be.

After grabbing a beer for the both of them, Biffo followed his uncle over to a nearby table, and they sat down to await their dinner. The two of them sat there for a couple of hours, eating, chatting and of course drinking.

"To the Post Office!" Biffo said as he raised his tankard cheerfully. Olo raised his likewise, and they clanked them together vigorously before each draining their mugs.

Then, bidding his nephew a fond farewell, Olo Proudfoot paid his bill and walked off to grab his hat and head home. The younger Proudfoot likewise paid for himself (except for dinner, of course), requested a room for the night, and after grabbing his things turned in. Soon afterwards, he slipped into a peaceful slumber (peaceful that is, for all out of the range of his snores). Then he whiled the night away dreaming of piles and piles of undelivered letters, huge birthday cakes, and rather disturbingly, goblins.
Old 01-15-2003, 04:33 AM   #67
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Silmaril

Belin stuck her head out of the kitchen. "Cami!" she cried. "Thank you! How do you get all these volunteers? We've got a cake done already, and Lumiel's done a beautiful job!"

But Cami had gone to bed. Belin stood up straight and looked around, wondering how well the inn would run without her and Mistress Pio and nervously fingering her red feather once again.

But all seemed to be going smoothly. Nearly everyone was working or sleeping, and that meal was already shaping up to be something to remember!

Belin looked around for something she could do. There--the decorations lay on the bar, near Morestel and Sofiya, who were deep in conversation. She picked up the beautiful streamers, and realized with a grimace that she was not quite tall enough to hang them, and standing on the stools was quite out of the question (not least because they were occupied!). She cleared her throat delicately, hoping to catch their attention.

"Excuse me," she said, "would you mind helping me with this, please?"
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Old 01-15-2003, 06:29 AM   #68
theWhiteLady
Wight

theWhiteLady has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Laurie busied herself sweeping the floors, cleaning the tables and setting out decorations she had found in a room near the back of the inn. She hummed a strange tune quietly under her breath as she worked, running over in her mind all that needed still to be done. The kitchens seemed sufficiently full with helpers, and the man from earlier had promised to move more tables out. Laurie heard Cami speak to Nárello about the stables as she passed by, so she ticked that off the list she was keeping in her head. That left decorations...

Laurie noticed a small hobbit bending over them and then turn and ask a group standing nearby for help.

"Hello, good lady. Do you want to help with the decorations?" The hobbit nodded. Laurie motioned to a rather large pile of decorations to the side. "These may be easier for you to handle, being nearer to your height," she said with a kind smile. Laurie then turned to the group the hobbit had spoken to. "You could help me with the taller decorations, if you like."
Old 01-15-2003, 08:10 AM   #69
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
"I ran away when we got near to this village." Said Sofiya. "I hid for a few days and then went to see the port of the grey havens. I did not wish to sail, and I don't think I ever will. This land is too beautiful."

"Oh, what is this talk I hear of a party. Do they need volunteers?" Said Soyiya to Morestel. Sofiya had never been allowed to do "servents" work, and now she was thrilled at the idea of this opportunity. She looked around and noticed that preparation were already under way.

"Are you volunteering to help?" asked Morestel. She was surprised at the elf's question. "I am sure Laurie would be glad of your help." She smiled at her new friend.

"Ok. Where might I find Laurie?" asked Sofiya. She looked about. She could not tell who was Laurie, as she new nothing about this organiser. "Could you take me to her?"

[ January 15, 2003: Message edited by: ElentariGreenleaf ]
Old 01-15-2003, 11:32 AM   #70
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Morestel looked around. Everyone seemed to be busy, getting ready for the party that was to be held at the inn. A woman standing nearby turned to Sofiya and Morestel.
Quote:
"You could help me with the taller decorations, if you like."
"Of course," Morestel said. "I would be glad to help." She stood and went to assist the woman.

[ January 15, 2003: Message edited by: Sapphire_Flame ]
Old 01-15-2003, 11:38 AM   #71
Lumiel

Sting

*As Lumiel was setting the cake to be baked,a man asked her to watch his ingredients*

"No problem! I shall guard them with my life!"

*She smiled at the man with a childish grin and laughed at what she said, accentuating her own childish mindset. She turned back to her work and noticed a bag of flour that sat on the edge of the counter near her and was about to fall. Her eyes widened in surprise and she dropped the spatula she was using to spread the cake mix into the large cake-pan and dived for the bag of flour. She caught the bottom just before it hit the floor and a cloud of white went up around her, falling down softly to settle on both Lumiel and the floor.*

"Phew! That was close."

*She stood up and placed the flour back safely on the counter and looked down at herself. She looked like a young ghostly elven maiden come back from the dead. As she thought of this, she took a zombie-like pose and spoke in a dead, even voice*

"Rrrrggghh....I am Lumiel, I've come for the cake of the dead!"

*She laughed again, this time louder at her own joke, corny as it was. She tried to brush off some of the flour but to no avail, it was stuck in her shirt and leggings as well as her long-brown hair. Although her overall appearance now seemed dimmed, her eyes shone brightly through to the world around her, like stars against the dim blackness of the night. She shrugged and went back to setting the cake mix*

"Let's see....should I just put frosting on the top? Or maybe some fruit...Oh yes! Strawberries and blueberries would be wonderful! But I have to save room for a picture of that Frodo and Sam and his family that they were talking about. Wish I knew what they looked like...well, I can worry about that later when I decorate the cake."

*As she finished pouring the cake mix into the large pan, she looked around for a vacant oven and found one nearby. She carefully brought the pan near the oven and started the oven up. After a few minutes, it was ready and she gently laid the pan inside, closing the door. She looked around for something to help her get the flour off of her while she was waiting for the cake to bake.

Her eyes fell on a semi-clean rag and she picked it up, wiping off her face and trying to dust off the flour. For the most part, this worked but smudges of it were still on her face and clothing but she no longer looked like a ghost. While waiting for the cake to bake, she got herself a glass of water and watched the people come and go, keeping an eye on the ingredients for the man as she promised. She finished her water, and went to check on the cake.

She opened the oven door, and the wonderful aroma of a freshly-baked cake wafted out. She took oven-mitts and put them on, carefully taking out the cake. As she let the cake cool off, she went in search of frosting and fruit. After her quest for these items was complete, she began to decorate the cake. First she spread a smooth, creamy layer of white frosting over the entire cake, which was large, considering how many people it had to serve. Once the frosting was spread evenly over the cake, she did a border with the frosting out of light blue. She smile, pleased with her work. Then she took some strawberries and laid them with care at the corners of and around the border of the cake. She took blueberries and did the same on the cake. She sighed, feeling tired from all the hard work she had put into the cake*

"Well, now I just need to put a picture on...Well, I can do that with frosting, it shouldn't be too difficult, but I don't know what they look like!"

*She turned and looked around the kitchen for someone who would know what they looked like. Her eyes came upon no one, to her dismay and she peeked out of the kitchen to the tavern beyond. She saw several elves, but felt nervous about asking them. She noticed a hobbit who had been in the kitchen before and decided to ask her. She thought back to what she had heard her name was and called over to her*

"Excuse me, Miss Belin? When you get a chance, I need some help with the cake. It's all set, but I don't know what Frodo, Sam, and his family look like. Perhaps you could help me?"

*As she looked up, she saw a picture with a plaque beneath it which read FRODO BAGGINS. Nearby was a similar picture of Bilbo and of Sam as well. She smiled and knew what she had to do. She called out to Belin*

"Nevermind Belin, I've got it covered!"

*She ran back into the kitchen and put all her efforts into the final decorations of the cake. When she was done, she was covered in bits of frosting and flour, but the cake had the spitting image of Frodo, Bilbo, Sam, and many hobbit children on it. With that, she brought the cake out and put it on the bar. She sat down in a chair and sighed*

"Whew, kitchen work was never so hard before! I'm not sure if I'll have the heart to eat the cake after all that work! But why else make it if you can't eat it?"

*She smiled and sat by the bar, watching the others around her. The Feast was going to be something!*

[ January 15, 2003: Message edited by: Lumiel ]

[ January 15, 2003: Message edited by: Lumiel ]
Old 01-15-2003, 02:38 PM   #72
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Don and Rie hurried outside to go on the walk Cami suggested. Don kept finding flowers and picking them, while looking wistfully at the beautiful flowers that grew in the gardens. "Those flowers are more beautiful than these wild ones," said Don.

"No, they're not. Even those these flowers are wild they can still be beautiful. You're wild," said Rie.

"And ugly."

Rie looked closely at the hobbit girl. She certainly wasn't beautiful, but her brown curls that crowned her head wildly, her large and soft brown eyes like a deer's, her rosy cheeks... this child was beautiful in her own special way.

Rie took one of the blue flowers from Don's hands and stuck it in the girl's hair. "That little flower is beautiful, and so are you."

A smile came to Don's face, but all she did was pick another flower from the ground.

Nuru finished her task, still humming an elven song to herself, named Trî I Taur. She was very excited about seeing Bilbo again, and would do anything, if only she would be allowed to join him in the feast.

"And Sam, and all the little children!" said Nuru, her eyes sparkling at the thought. "He has a few new ones that weren't there when I was here last, I think. Elo! it will be so wonderful to see him again!"

Filigod glîren i gelaidh,
govannen na athan glîr...

She began to sing the song once again as she half danced over to Cami to ask what she could do next.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:08 PM   #73
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rie climbed up on the ladder, armed with a broom, humming snatches of a tune that Nuru had taught her amid threats to the cobwebs. "Ooh," she muttered, rubbing her head. She had hit it on the rafters. Gazing up bitterly at the offending piece of wood, she noticed another cobweb. A big one. A very big one.

She looked down quickly, then pulled herself up. She dearly hoped that Don wasn't watching and getting ideas. Slowly she picked her way through the rafters, inching toward the offending cobweb. "Carefully, Talmérië," she murmured to herself. "Wouldn't want to slip and land on somebody's head!"

She laughed, and continued making her way to the cobweb. She had almost gotten to it when her left leg slipped off the rafters, followed quickly by her right leg. She gave a little cry and braced herself for the fall.

But instead of the floor, she found herself, upon impact, in somebody's arms. "May I help you?" a voice asked her cheerfully. He was an Elf. She stared blankly at him for a moment, then blushed and regained her composure.

"Thank you," she said as he put her down. "Um, thank you quite a bit," she added, looking up at the height of the rafters. "I'm Rie," she continued, regaining her manners. "Talmérië, that is, daughter of Almarien. Thank you for saving me! I don't think we've met, though. You are...?" Rie dusted her palms off from the rafter dust, and waited for his answer.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:27 PM   #74
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Sting

'My name is Tarondo,' he introduced himself. 'My sister Luinien is over there with Mistress Cami.' He surveyed the ceiling with an air of great interest.

'There's definitely a lot to do; if you have another broom I can assist you. Would you like me to reach the highest ones, or shall I continue to spot you?' he asked, his eyes twinkling.
Old 01-15-2003, 04:44 PM   #75
Sword Maiden Of The Shire
Animated Skeleton

Sword Maiden Of The Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Champignonne looked at the two hobbits in wonder. They were so nice to her. and they sacrificed their mushroomsfor her benefit!
"Well, " said she, "I am alone. But I must know your names first. You both look so familiar, but I've never really been out of my neighborhood." She looked at both in turn. Before they could answer her, she turned around, hearing something about "Baggins" and "party". She had heard the name before.

"Before you say anything," she said, seeing the quizzotic looks on their faces, "What is this party? Who is'Baggins'? Do you know him?" Mistakenly she thought that it was only one person; she had only heard one name. Champignonne did not even shy away at this. Her Took curiosity cancelled out her shyness.
"Well," replied Merry "As for your first question, "I'm Merry and this is my cousin Pippin" he said gesturing to her. "And the Bagginses, from what I can gather are coming here for a feast or party of some sort."

"Masters Frodo, Samwise and Bilbo, I believe" sid Pippin looking wide-eyed at all the hustle and bustle about the Inn. They sat down beside her, "They were all involved in The War Of The Ring, many tales now tell about them." said Merry lowering his voice a little "But aside from that," continued Pippin, "They are very nice folk. We've only met them once or twice."

The rich smell of freshly baked cake wafted over to where they were sitting. Merry inhaled deeply "Ahhhh! If only I were helping in the kitchen!" "Why, so you could eat the Inn out of house and home before the guests even arrive?" asked Pippin laughing at him. "Your're right though, I'd like to help, it is definately for a good cause. Maybe there are some last minute things we can do."

Merry nodded. "Would you care to join us Champignonne?" he asked.....

[ January 15, 2003: Message edited by: Sword Maiden Of The Shire ]
Old 01-15-2003, 05:04 PM   #76
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

As Cami took a final swing about the Inn, everything seemed to be in a state of readiness for the festivities that were expected to begin later that evening. All the cobwebs were gone, the floor carefully scrubbed, and garlands and other decorations festively hung. The cake was decorated, and sitting on the top of the bar.

Cami could see that Aelfwine and several others had returned from the market, with all the ingredients they would need for the dinner. Several Elves and Hobbbits were back in the kitchens putting different dishes together and cooking them over the open fire or in the brick oven that was built into the hearth. They should be done in just a little while. She would keep the meal warming until it was time to be served, but it truly looked as if everything was under control.

So many people had helped that Cami couldn't even remember all the names: Rie, Nuru, Don, Belin, Luinien, Aelfwine, Arawyn, Tarondo, Lumiel, Morestel, Sofiya, Narello, and Snowdrop. She was sure there were others whom she had missed, and she hoped they would forgive her feeble brain, since she was not too good recalling names. It was a good thing they'd cooked up so much food, since so many were going to be dropping by for dinner.

Cami clambered up on the nearest table, and called out in her loudest voice, "I need your attention please. Everyone helping with the preparations, you've done a wonderful job. I don't know how to thank you. I think we can all take a break now. I'd like everyone to return to your home or your room at the Inn and slip into something festive. Make sure you have comfortable shoes for dancing, and, if you have an instrument, bring it along."

"Then we'll all reassemble here in a few hours and the festivities will begin, as I expect our guests will be arriving then."
Old 01-15-2003, 05:16 PM   #77
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Quote:
"I need your attention please. Everyone helping with the preparations, you've done a wonderful job. I don't know how to thank you. I think we can all take a break now. I'd like everyone to return to your home or your room at the Inn and slip into something festive. Make sure you have comfortable shoes for dancing, and, if you have an instrument, bring it along."

"Then we'll all reassemble here in a few hours and the festivities will begin, as I expect our guests will be arriving then."
Morestel hurriedly ran up to her room to change. This would be fun, she'd never been to a party before. She didn't really have anything festive to change into, so she just pulled on a plain, red and black dress, slightly worn.

She hurried out of her room. She paused for a moment at the top of the stairs to compose herself, then went down to join the group.

[ January 16, 2003: Message edited by: Sapphire_Flame ]
Old 01-15-2003, 05:19 PM   #78
Artalwen
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Arawyn let out a small burp after she finished her meal, and quickly covered her mouth, as if she was shocked that she had burped. She then got up and went into the kitchen, to see if she could be of any help before the party was to begin.

As she opened the door, she narrowly missed swinging it into another elf, who was busy trying to gather things to decorate a beautifully made cake that Arawyn assumed she made.

"That looks great!" Arawyn complemented, trying to create conversation. The elf looked up, noticing Arawyn, and smiled, yet quickly looked back down at her work. Arawyn noticed she was trying to design people, no, hobbits, on the cake.
"Hey! That must be a picture of the hobbits that this party is for! That looks really good!" Arawyn said praisingly.

"Naw, I don't even know what they may look like...I'm trying, though." The elf replied, concentrating on her work. Arawyn thought it might be best to let her be, for she herself did not know what the hobbits looked like either. So she went backwards, out of the kitchen, and sighed. She didn't know what she could do, with all the help already needed around. She spotted a chair near the fire that was empty, and went over to fill it.

Carie noticed that the elf didn't notice her well, and her shyness overtook her again. She backed up, and quietly went over to an empty table, and sat down. She noticed a newspaper laying down, and picked it up, and with nothing better to do, began to read.
Old 01-15-2003, 05:23 PM   #79
Lumiel

Sting

*As Lumiel listened to Cami, she realized that she certainly could do with a bath and a change of clothes. Unfortunately, she didn't have a room or any clothes to change into. She thought for a moment then called out to Cami*

"Excuse me Cami, but I was wondering if I could rent a room. As you can see, I'm in no shape for a party!"

*She showed Cami her flour-covered clothing and Cami could see her smudged, frosting-flecked face*

"And also, I don't have anything to wear, except these clothes I am wearing now. Perhaps you know someone I could borrow something from?"
Old 01-15-2003, 05:26 PM   #80
Artalwen
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Quote:
I'd like everyone to return to your home or your room at the Inn and slip into something festive. Make sure you have comfortable shoes for dancing, and, if you have an instrument, bring it along."
Carie overheard the speech, and got excited. A party! So that's why everyone was cleaning in a hurry. She figured she must pay more attention next time. She overheard the instrument part also, and perked up. She could bring her violin! Carie quickly got up from the table and excited the green dragon, knowing she must change into one of her better party dresses, and retrieve her violin.