User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2002, 12:05 PM   #321
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Believe me, Child, I know what you are going through. I believe all of us have gone through the "serving by waiting" phases in this tale.

Yes, being on shipboard does have its limitations. Maybe Cami could invent the aqualung while she's waiting. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

It's too bad we didn't establish some "magical power" in Levanto, that would allow him to touch people and support them under the sea, a la "Splash".

Hmmmm, wonder if Ancalimon would have something up his sleeve?
Old 10-07-2002, 12:06 PM   #322
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Sharon

I can appreciate where you are coming from. That is one of the reasons Pio has gone off the ship - she was going a bit stir-crazy!

I was wondering if, since Cami is on the backburner at present, and you can handle her activities with only an occasional post, would it be possible for you to pick up the character of Daisy from me?

I have not put a lot into her as yet, so you could take her and make her your own. And frankly, I really am feeling a little schizoid being Pio, Levanto, Daisy, and the greater part of the Men of Dale and a giant spider in AAWtK.

*sad, pleading face here*

Do you think you might do this? If so - email me, I'll let you know where Bird and I were going next.

Mithadan

No sandwich, dear! Here try some of this - it will ward off that headache you always seem to get from drinking. *sigh*

Sake

BTW - I believe that Pio escaped the confines of Mandos' Halls a few times to explore the waters far to the south of the Shadowy Seas. It was on a quite forgotten string of islands there that she learned both her pearl diving techniques and the archetypal recipes for both teriyaki and black-bean sauce.

Pio prefers her freshwater eel done unagi style,

but if her belovéd wishes, she will fire up the hibachi and grill it for him. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ October 07, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-07-2002, 12:48 PM   #323
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Mithadan --

Oops, I believe that part of that was directed at Cami!

But, if you will take a look at my post right after yours, you will see that Cami was indeed having a hard day, and has decided to opt for "semi-retirement". So she will not be pulling such barbs in the future.

sharon
Old 10-07-2002, 01:15 PM   #324
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Hmmm. Why is it that, without a smiley, it can sometimes be difficult to see that written words are intended as a joke? And I hate using smileys. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Child, I completely understand Cami's dilemma. Mith is also going a bit stir-crazy. Because of his position in the story, as well as how his character developed, he does not have the option of going off on an "adventure" or causing chaos. I had the same problem immediately after the defeat of the Blue Wizards way back when. The story became decidedly Hobbit-oriented, leaving Mith with little to do until Gondolin. The same occurred after Gondolin.

Part of this is because we are now being sooo careful with the plot, knowing that we are in a wind-up mode and preparing our little jaunt into RPGdom for conversion into fan fiction. As a result, this has been the longest virtual 20 days of the story.

I agree with Pio. Take on another character. We could also spice things up a bit. Sauron would have certainly extended his search for Angara eastwards by now. We could also compress the remaining 11 days a bit. Things will pick up when we enter the tombs of course.
Old 10-07-2002, 01:52 PM   #325
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

I do want to compress the timeline as soon as Daisy is in custody, which I'm thinking should be soon - do you agree?

In fact she can be put in the clink for the next letter she and Bird find if need be (which could detail that Sauron is sending extra troops to the prison and is extending his search for the dragon.) At which point - Pio will go upriver, all the way to the caves, having learnt from Levanto that Daisy has been seized. She will contact Bird (yes, Bird - osanwë!) and I was considering that Gorthaur might get a 'feel' for this contact, so also heightening the tension level.

This rough outline from the 'Pio' character perspective - sound ok?

SHARON -- please let me know soon if you'll be Daisy!
Old 10-07-2002, 01:56 PM   #326
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Pio --

Yes, thank you.

I sent you a pm.

Concerning Cami's semi-retirement: Yes, I'm sure that when I was in the prison doing interesting things in the First Age, those on the Star were firing up their barbecue grills to keep from falling asleep.

I have given Cami a good book to read and a bag of marshmallows to roast. It will keep her occupied while I am elsewhere.

sharon

[ October 07, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 10-07-2002, 02:47 PM   #327
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

NOTICE OF CHANGE IN WRITERS

Sharon will now be writing 'Daisy'.

I'll throw in a few comments here and there from Captain Tarcil.

Mithadan will hopefully continue to be the voice of Gorthaur.

*back to eel gathering*
Old 10-08-2002, 08:01 AM   #328
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Birdie,

Caught it and loved it!

Bethberry
Old 10-08-2002, 09:45 AM   #329
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sorry "Daisy", Birdie slept late. I have caught up with you in the corridor. Where are we going, back to the office?

Quote:
Bird wondered why Loremaster was slowly and thoughtfully rolling up one sleeve...
Now wait just a cotton-pickin' minute. I am NOT one of those blood-suckin' midges!

I am a Neekerbreeker, "an evil cousin to the cricket", and am perfectly happy eating garbage, thank you very much!

[ October 08, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 10-08-2002, 09:54 AM   #330
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Really? I thought... oh.

Guess I'll edit those parts out.

--Oops

Okay, you've been de-vampired...

Speaking of "where are we going", while my lads are "happy" to sit and ruminate on graves and the faroff ocean, and the cute new girl on the block, if they need to be doing anything specific, please advise... otherwise I'll muddle along as usual.

[ October 08, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 10-08-2002, 11:31 AM   #331
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Helen --

I sent you a pm to see if Gamba would now consider a career move. Perhaps as a prison attendant? Please let me know whether this is feasible.

Bird --

Daisy is looking for a can of bug spray!

Actually no problem, even shapechangers have to sleep. Pio seems to be the one who is best at late, late posts. This may be because she is on the west coast, although it is also rumored that Elves seldom require shut eye.

Yes, we are going into the office to rediscover that fateful letter which Bird only had a chance to look at very quickly yesterday. I believe that Daisy and her friend Anee will shortly be changing residences.

We haven't had a chance to discuss this letter scene. If I do something strange, please tell me and I'll try to edit.

What do you think of my suggestion for another directive in three days time which spells out that, in view of the large number of guards required, the hobbit prison is no longer productive? Therefore, unless the mysterious Elf and dragon are located and the number of guards reduced, the prison itself is scheduled to begin liquidation on the day of our rescue.

sharon

[ October 08, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 10-08-2002, 12:44 PM   #332
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

TIMELINE

It's 11 Cermië - 11 days to the rescue on the night of 22 Cermië

Bird

Levanto will be at the caves tonight (story time) for a report from Bird. Do you want me to handle that when I get back from work tonight, Bird (@midnight Paciifc Time), or do you want to write it and I'll handle the report to Pio and Mithadan when he reaches the Star?

Levanto has agreed to come for a report every two days.

Sharon When do you envision Daisy getting caught? Somewhere nearer the rescue date? After this report of Levanto's do you want to compress the time somewhat, or are there still a number of scenes you want to get in?
Old 10-08-2002, 01:09 PM   #333
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Sharon, Regarding your suggestion, Gamba's reassignment will happen "tonight" (cave-time) around dinnertime (for which he will be uncharacteristically late). Tuka will replace him as gravedigger. Somebody indicate when evening is allowable and I'll put up this "dinnertime" post.

--Helen
Old 10-08-2002, 01:43 PM   #334
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Pio --

Please see my pm. It will be fine to lock me up now. Please make sure Anee comes in the next cell (or the same one, whatever). Also Helen will have Gamba working as an attendent.

There is one more important message Bird will fine on the infamous table concerning the proposed "liquidation" of the prison which is set to begin the morning after the Star rescue. (I assume we have a night rescue.) Please see my pm for Tarcil's reasons for petitioning Sauron to liquidate the hobbits. Especially with the expense of the extra guards. This would also be a good point in reinforcing the lowly status of the hobbits in Sauron's mine a la the third age.

sharon
Old 10-08-2002, 02:38 PM   #335
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

What? Just cause Daisy messes up you want to lock Anee up too? Just kidding. So much for not getting in danger.
Old 10-08-2002, 03:52 PM   #336
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Sorry Rose. You know how it is at school. If you hang around with a kid that gets in trouble, you get in trouble too. By the way, that sausage tasted good!

sharon
Old 10-08-2002, 04:02 PM   #337
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Don't worry Child. I may actually work with how I'm trying build Anee's charicter.

PIO- NOW WAIT JUST A SECOND! IF YOUR INTENDING TAKING ON THAT SHIP ALL BY YOURSELF YOU'VE GOT ANOTHER THING COMING. EITHER YOU TELL THE REST OF THE LONELY STAR WHAT YOUR PLANS ARE AND ASK FOR VOLINTEERS TO HELP YOU OR WE'LL LOCK YOU IN YOUR ROOM!
AND I'M SURE EVERYONE FEELS THE SAME WAY.

I'm done now.
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2002, 04:18 PM   #338
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

What? It was eleven days yesterday and there's been an intervening "game" evening.
Old 10-09-2002, 12:18 AM   #339
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Everyone --

I've been thinking about the rescue of the hobbits as well as their current mentality. Please let me know what you think of this.

First, before the hobbits are rescued, there should be some small effort by them to 'fight back' against the system. In the Beleriand camps, the hobbits did several things of this type: 'covering' for sick hobbits, purposely misplacing tools, working as slowly as they could while still meeting minimum expectations. Remember that, even in this bleak situation, there are more hobbits than guards. The guards can not be everywhere at once.

I have the sense that the Numenor hobbits have come to view themselves solely as victims. For example, when Daisy comes, Gamba pumps her to find out just how fast the ships can arrive. He never raises the more important question: what can I do, what can we do, to help prepare for this rescue? Hobbit attitudes need to change. It's the only way they're going to regain self respect.

I see many spontaneous acts of individual kindness, but no hobbit has had the courage to think ahead and challenge the system. This is a mistake. Every instance of slavery, every prison camp ever devised, has had people inside willing to risk their necks and fight in subtle ways. The hobbits would have done the same.

Let me suggest a few ways we could realistically incorporate this in our story without making things drag on.

Helen -- I think a lot of this first centers on Gamba. He is no scholar but he has a heart of gold. And he's been beaten down to the point something has to happen to make him look up.

I beleve this will happen when he goes to work as an attendent in the Locks. He will notice how very hungry the prisoners in the Locks are. Daisy and Anee will be there just a few days, but others remain a few months for purposes of correction. Some with longer terms actually die from starvation. In this situation, I believe Gamba would go to his friends and ask for help scraping together food and smuggling it in. This is risky and it means sacrifce on the part of hobbits who don't have much to eat, but it's the decent thing to do.

Maybe Gamba's example will catch the eyes of the Elders or the Loremaster. Perhaps they will realize that, with all these hobbits being dragged off to sacrifice, there should be an organized effort to "cover" for those who are weak or ill. Why should they have to bear the brunt of the community's misfortune? And maybe they need to think about pairing up every "weak" one with somebody strong so they can make it out when the rescue happens.

Perhaps, too, the Elders will realize that they should offer to do more for the Star in bringing about the rescue. They may not have weapons but they have ingenuity. They have access to tools and fire. A few strategically set blazes just before the rescue will divert attention and make it easier for us to get inside.

Finally, there's the whole horrible issue of hobbit sacrifices. Bird and Daisy are sick about that! On a day to day basis, probably nothing can be done. But what about the last day, the afternoon before the actual rescue which will take place that night. I would love to see the hobbits stick it to Sauron just one time! Couldn't we ambush the guards and rescue the two prisoners and then hide them until the evening. It would only be a few hours. Again, the guards would be searching for whoever did this, and it might divert attention from the ships.

I don't think it would take more than a few posts to suggest things like this.

Esentially, what I'm saying is this. Until now, the only source of hobbit hope has been those lovely songs. But it's time to go beyond this. Action itself can be a bridge to hope. Why can't that happen here, as long as we are realistic and modest in our aims?

sharon
Old 10-09-2002, 02:51 AM   #340
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

About the timeline:

re: "What? It was eleven days yesterday and there's been an intervening "game" evening." in response to it being 11 Cermië and 11 days to the rescue on the night of 22 Cermië

I was unclear in my posting:

Yesterday was 11 days until the Teleri arrive. And 12 days until the rescue on the night of 22 Cermië.

Today is 10 days until the Teleri arrive, and 11 days until the rescue

OR am I mistaken, and we are doing the rescue on the night of the very same day they arrive?
Old 10-09-2002, 04:50 AM   #341
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Pio, you didn't answer me. You arn't going to do anything rash without your friends are you?
*puts on a sad puppy-dog face*
Old 10-09-2002, 06:40 AM   #342
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Pio? Do something rash? Without first consulting with her friends? Naaaaahhhh!
Old 10-09-2002, 11:28 AM   #343
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

*scratches head* - consult friends?! How's this?

Notice of impending guerilla action:

Volunteers will be considered, but not necessarily chosen, for a small foray into enemy country. Must have the following skills:

Swimming - speed, endurance, able to be underwater for extended periods of time

Knife work - accuracy for long distance throwing, knowledge of techniques for close in fighting

Mentality - must be able to narrow focus to 'assassin' mode to accomplish a set task. Once engaged there will be no time for moral or ethical considerations or discussions about the target.

Osanwë a must.

All requirements must be met. Will consider someone experienced with garotte technique in lieu of knife skill.

See Pio c/o The Lonely Star [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ October 09, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-09-2002, 12:30 PM   #344
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Pio --

Cami does not wish to be considered for this assignment.

sharon
Old 10-09-2002, 12:47 PM   #345
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

BIRD

I'll put Levanto on his way to you now. He'll be there in the dead of night.

Do you want to write about what he learns, and then send him back to Mith and Pio?
Old 10-09-2002, 01:39 PM   #346
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

No fair! Rose can't do Osanwë.
Old 10-09-2002, 02:25 PM   #347
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

ROSE

Remember Pio's words to Khelek -

Quote:
Even Khelek, whose skill was improving, had cried it quits when she knocked his legs from beneath him with a sweep of her leg, and placed the flat of her blade against his throat. 'Unfair!' he had shouted at her, flat on his back. 'It will be no fair contest when we enter the caverns!' she had answered him, extending her hand and pulling him to his feet. 'No game played by fair rules. You must seize the advantage as it comes to you, by any means.'
Old 10-10-2002, 10:24 AM   #348
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

It is 9 days to the arrival of the Teleri. 10 days to the rescue.

BTW - Did we ever decide this particular of the story: Do we want to rescue the hobbits on the night of the same day the Teleri arrive, or willl the Teleri arrive and then the rescue occurs the night of the following day?

Imprisoned Hobbits - NOTE THIS:

It is growing near the date for your rescue. Levanto has told you earlier that you must be ready to board the ships once they arrive.

The rescue party has a very limited number of people well versed in arms and combat. We can expect some limited assist from the Teleri, but each of their ships has only a minimal crew aboard.

The imprisoned hobbits must soon plan how to effect their own part of the rescue: Who will lead the way out to the ships? How will you be armed (swords are good, but sharpened staves and sturdy shovels can also be enlisted)? Where will you place the children and those not capable of defending themselves to protect them as you fight your way to the ships? Should the Elders be included in this protected group? What will be your plan for freeing any who are in the Locks?

We will send Levanto just slightly ahead of our advance to you so that you can be ready.

Be ready! We are coming for you!

[ October 10, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-10-2002, 10:38 AM   #349
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Has Levanto told The Star that two more hobbits die every night?
Old 10-10-2002, 11:09 AM   #350
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Levanto returns to give his report today, game time. That will be in his report.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:03 PM   #351
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Regarding imprisoned hobbits. Some ideas. None of this is set in stone, but I wanted someplace to start the discussion. Ideas, comments, changes, anyone--advisors, crew, whatever???

I think we're going to need to get real busy on this. I will make a few suggestions and see what you think. Helen, you know these characters in the tombs better than anyone else. Please let us know if you see a problem in terms of characterization.

First, it's my understanding that everyone will need to go down to the water. What I am not sure of is whether we will need to go into the water itself. Let me ask Pio to clarify exactly where the hobbits have to go to get rescued. She knows more about rescue logistics than I do.

Also, Pio I need to know the exact time of the rescue. After dinner, or dead in the middle of the night? This will make a difference where people are.

BTW--In my opinion, there should be a day between the Elves' arrival and the rescue.

OK-- First, who should be in charge of this planning within the hobbits? My guess would be that the Eldars will meet including Loremaster and Phura. I see the Eldars as being largely (not solely) hereditary. My impression is that some of them are getting on a bit. If this is so, I would strongly suggest they also bring their sons to that meeting. I will assume that Levanto has passed the word from the Star to Bird who passed it to the Loremaster to start intensive planning.

This should happen by tomorrow. The Eldars will delegate among themselves and to other hobbits as well who are not actually at the meeting. It will still be a "secret" but the secret will now be shared by a larger group. (Am I right in assuming that most of the Hobbits don't know about Levanto or the impending rescue?).

The meeting will be fairly large. Any ideas how they could "hide" or disguise such a gathering?

Ideally, we need someone from the Star there. Bird could attend as a neekerbreeker. Since Daisy's still locked up, she can not come. I guess there's no possible way to get Levanto in????? I don't think so, unless someone else has an idea.

Second, who will actually be writing this in the story? Here is my suggestion. I will do the first meeting of the Eldars for the large planning session. But, if anyone else has a burning desire to do this overall planning scene, I will gladly bow out. Helen can you give me any more info on the Eldars, or should I use my imagination.

At this meeting, the planning itself will be delegated out. Here are the big breakdowns I see:

Weapons: Since Phura's already working on this, let it be his specialty. Have him work on the real daggers, etc. but also have him get, find, scrounge anything else that will work as weapons. Don't the hobbits in the mines use picks? They would make a wicked weapon. How about shovels out in the fields? Where are these tools usually kept? If it's a cenral storehouse, you'll have to stage a raid. Or is there a way for the hobbits to keep their own tools overnight? Or return to the mine itself to get them right before the raid? Think of something. Is there any way you can have any kind of "weapons practice" even with sticks, or is this impossible?

Helen, could you develop this planning and write these posts?

Organizing people to get them through to the ship: I can do the planning and posts on this aspect I would think Loremaster would be in charge of this in the story? What do you think, Helen? He knows all these people better than anyone,i.e. who would need extra help, and they have respect for him. Helen, if I do the posting you'll have to eyeball my stuff, since I've never posted for Loremaster. If I say something totally off character, let me know.

Basically, this will be surveying all the known pockets of hobbits in the camp,naming persons in charge of each section, deciding who gets "protected", assigning strong hobbits to go with the weak ones. In my opinion, the Eldars would not per se have special protection. It depends on their age and physical condition. The sick, the children, the elderly need to be on the "inside" and "in the middle".

Armed Resistence Bird, can this be your forte? There would be two things to plan: the liberation of the Locks, and the plan to seize back the two hobbits who have been scheduled for sacrifice that day. The Locks should only be done right before the rescue. It will divert attention away from the waterfront. Guards will be sent back to quell the rising in the Locks. As the Locks insurrection is going on, the ships land. Is that OK?

Can Gamba smuggle some daggers inside the Locks itself? I think the characters who should do the planning and lead the insurection in the Locks are Daisy, Gamba and Anee because they know the prison. Daisy and Anee will be on the outside now, but Gamba should still be working there. Since Rose is Anee, she should also help write this section.

Helen, is it ok for Gamba to do this? Bird, can you use these characters and write the posts?

Secondly, there is the ambush of the guards to rescue the two final hobbits to be sacrificed. That will take place the morning or afternoon just before the evening rescue. Who should these two hobbits be? Please put your suggestions on the discussion thread Bird, you will have the final choice in picking! The people who would lead this ambush in the story might be the character of Bird plus those Eldar who are younger, along with their sons and daughters. Bird, where will you hide these two hobbits before the rescue itself so they don' get recaptured?

Important Point: The more I get into this, the more certain I am that Rose and Cami should not be on the boats. They must be smuggled into the tomb, perhaps 1-2 days before the rescue. "Nitir and Azra" ,or at least Nitir, should be with their people. Because of the "prestige" which they have, they could do much to build spirits and calm fears. They would be involved in the evacuation-- getting people to the right spots, helping to lead people to where they are supposed to go, ecouraging them, etc. Their main job will no be fighting, though they will certainly fight if attacked.

Rose do you have a preference about being in the tombs versus being on the ship. Either place, you could get some fighting in.

In fact, in my mind, it is at the point when Nitir and Azra return to the tombs ad are welcomed, that the hobbits as a whole are told of the impending rescue. This is when the "secret" becomes shared by all the hobbits as a whole.

None of this is set in stone but we needed a place to start discussion. Ideas, comments, changes?

sharon

[ October 10, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 10-10-2002, 12:23 PM   #352
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The rescue will be dead of night - we will have the cover of darkness and the protection of Ulmo. The hobbits will have to fight their way down the river bank to board the 20 boats which will be in a line.

Levanto will be sent to remind you the night before it is to happen - that was set up in one of his first contacts. He has told you what day the ships will come (and if he forgot to do that, I will now go and edit that post!). No directive other than this should come from the Star about getting ready. The hobbits need to be seen as proactive in their own rescue!

Once Levanto has given his report, today, game time - Pio will take the news of Daisy's lock-up hard. This will give me the opportunity for her to go to the caves, as she was planning to do at some point, anyway.

Would you like for her to make an appearance at this meeting? That would certainly add a concreteness to the plans for the rescue. And she is certainly the one who can do details for you. I will try to coordinate posts with you on this! (Note, I will be away from the computer much of the rest of this day, real time, but will post later this evening, Pacific Time.)

As to Cami and Rose getting on the caves, I have no ideas, at this time, on this.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:38 PM   #353
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

SHARON

I will finish the post about Levanto's report to Mithadan and Pio when I return later.

As to the logistics - if you will allow Pio to come to your meeting she can tell all of you the plan (she will be there by lucky turn of fortune for the imprisoned hobbits in that she has come to check with Bird directly on how Daisy's situation.)
Old 10-10-2002, 12:54 PM   #354
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Hi all,

Here's a summary of Phura's developing schemes to date:

1. Hobbits see better in darkness-- especially cave hobbits. In order to gain that advantage, there will be a plan to knock out all the candle flames (via expertly thrown rocks, hobbits have deadeye aim according to Tolkien). You see the beginnings of this in Gamba's rock throwing at the waterfront. "Candlestones" will become a big game for all the hobbits and even the guards take an interest and start placing bets. (They'll feel silly when the lights go out, til their throats are slit.)

Yes-- this will place the Lonely Star folks at a disadvantage in the caves. Maybe they can have, or steal, their own torches and be mighty glad of them.

My original idea was that the main cave goes dark first, with all the annexes; then (Bird, does this sound interesting?) able-bodied hobbits charge the Locks, take out the lights there and slit the guards' throats. (they'll need one candle under a bucket to open the doors with)

Phura, Tuka and Gamba are about to concoct a scheme (based on Gamba's tickling matches with his kids) that in the dark, from behind, five hobbits tackle one guard apeice... details on that will be up in a bit... and slit his throat.

I'm assuming ten guards in the main cave. THroatslitting is usually assigned to Largest Male Hobbit on the team. However for impromptu throatslittings it's whoever's got the knife jumps last.... Anee, Daisy take note.

Daggers/ knives needed for this, hoping to make them at night, without hammering, in the old iron mines/ armories. (Sharon, so glad you suggested that, ages ago.) Anybody got an idea for an excuse to begin melting iron ore again? There I'm stuck. Maybe I just need a way to vacate the old forges of all guards... hmmm... are they deserted due to lack of interest? Would the men be that stupid?

Perhaps Captain Tarkil convieniently demands some Iron Thing that might work for an excuse to light the forge fires again, on the other hand it seems a bit Too Contrived. I'd rather think of something else, but I haven't yet. (They get no meat, so there are no kitchen knives.)

Meanwhile: gotta love those riverstones.

Guidelines for general Melee: Everybody has pockets full of egg-sized rocks, from the huge piles that Phura & Kesha & others will continue to pick up from the riverbottom. It may not be fatal but it sure is annoying. While guards are ducking rocks, hobbits swarm and slit as required.

(About the rocks: over the next nine days, target practice ("Candlestones", one candle as the target, one as the rekindler) becomes a game, and the guards may actually join in for betting sometimes, but they always lose to the hobbits.)

Sharon, Loremaster turns out to have been a shepherd in his younger days: absolutely deadly with a sling. He tears a strip of cloth from his shirt. Also several of the elders/ older hobbits still remember this fine art. Slingshots are deadly.

Shovels good, picks good.

3. THen the hobbits have to find thier way in the dark, but, since they grew up inthe caves, gollum-like, this is not too bad for them.

(note: sunshine is horrible for them once on The Ships!! Sunburns and eye-glare and wicked HEADACHES. Only the gravediggers have gotten a wee little bit used to it-- but not much; the sea is much brighter than any graveyard especially once you're staring at moist dirt.)

4. Everybody herds down to the water. (Sharon, you organize.) Young hobbits (teens to forties) are all swimmers; old hobbits are not; babies must be carried.

This is where the weapons (picks, shovels, etc) become a liability! Ever tried to swim with a shovel? All but the smallest (knives & daggers) must be left behind unless the handles are long enough that the blades drag on the bottom (longhandled shovels may qualify here.) Other than knives & daggers, the hobbits will be swimming completely vulnerable.

They either swim just out to where the river surfaces, and then run on the banks, or, they swim all the way to the ships-- Levanto, what's your advice? You know the terrain.

Comments/ improvements/ catcalls?

--Helen
Old 10-10-2002, 12:57 PM   #355
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Pio's appearance will be fine. If Gamba were there, he'd probably drop over in admiration.

Would it be easiest if I worked on my part of that meeting and sent it to you in an e-mail. Then you would work your own part in, and then cut and paste it on the thread all at once. What do you think? It might be easier than trying to coordinate times. I too will not be able to do this till late tonight at best.

On Cami (and Rose??)---If there's no possible way to get Cami to the caves, then there's no way. Unfortunately, given her character, she will be of limited use on the actual rescue. She simply doesn't have the skills she would need. She can't even wield a sword. She can shoot a bow, but that's it. And that is probably of little use where she is going.

I know you're having a problem with having too many people jammed up on those first ships. Realistically, if Cami is coming on a ship, and there's no way of getting her into the tombs ahead of time, she should probably be put on the last ship. In fact, she should probably be left behind to take care of the children on the Star, but I think she would be too proud to do that.

Her value to the people in those tombs is as a source of hope. They've been singing those songs for a long time--thousands of years. I imagine a number of them will have a hard time believing that any of this is true or real. Some will be terribly afraid. The educated Eldar will certainly believe, but that is different from the rank and file. But if Nitir were to tell them in person to go and then walk with them down to the Elven ships, they would come with her.

Let me know what you want to do with her.

sharon

[ October 10, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 10-10-2002, 01:03 PM   #356
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

*running out the door after just this one last post!*

Yes, please email.

I didn't say you two couldn't go - I just can't figure out how - let me think on it! Will probably have an idea by this evening [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2002, 01:03 PM   #357
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

*Mithadan sits in a comfortable rocking chair happily practicing his knitting. @#%$&%! "Dropped a stich."
Old 10-10-2002, 01:05 PM   #358
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Care to accompany your beloved for a long swim?
Old 10-10-2002, 01:42 PM   #359
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

If Azra and Nitir can get close in a skiff (or something), then if alerted by Levanto, Gamba and Phura would be honored to swim out, and swim The Honored Azra and Nitir back through the caves.

That would be a great way for Gamba to meet Nitir and get to talk to her a bit, and get to know Azra too.

Isn't Kali coming to the caves to rescue Daisy? Phura will be half-hypnotized by him if so. Please advise.

Maybe Kali and Levanto can somehow bring Rose and Cami.

Also, we have two dragons. The golden one is a bit of a liability-- but that black one, now, especially at night, she could come in handy as a fabulous decoy. Fly around, blow some flames, head across to the other side of the mountain--Half the men give chase-- and, whiff!! she turns into a bug and hides for ten minutes, then become a raven and fly back to the action.

Then again, maybe she'll be busy that evening.

Sharon, you were going to lecture Gamba via Daisy, I'm waiting on that before a lot more leading-into-tactics posts go up.

[ October 10, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 10-10-2002, 01:42 PM   #360
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Pio --

I don't know what Rose thinks or prefers. She may have a strong personal preference to be coming on the ship. Her character would certainly have no problem hacking and whacking her way in!

sharon