Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2003, 05:12 PM   #201
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Alak: Perhaps Pelien could see Dryea and Elena on the terrace and tell them about the small luncheon. Then Dryea can tell Ruiel and Alethea if you want.
maika - let's assume everyone has already been invited. I only posted Pelien inviting Tiriel and Siriel, but she certainly talked to the other ladies the night before, or as in Elena's case, she sent out invitations. I didn't post Pelien inviting every single lady as that would not have been very interesting to read, but she has already mentioned (in her thoughts) that your mother is coming.

Quote:
When can we start descending on Pelien's house for lunch? And is it going to be just women at the luncheon? Sophia, do you think we could contrive Thenidir turning up?
The ladies should start showing up to Pelien's as soon as I get my next post in. It's almost finished and will go up probably within the hour. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Men coming to the luncheon is not likely. Sador is out of the house, and any other men showing up would be somewhat unrealistic. Can we leave it to just the ladies? (I'm saying this because I talked to Sophia about it earlier.)

Okay, let's have the luncheon start at one hour past noon, Minas Tirith time.
Old 07-13-2003, 06:55 PM   #202
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elora has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Just to keep all aprised of matters.

I am presently discussing my suggestion with moderators and will not post until a decision has been arrived at for the sake of clarity.

In that vein, I would like to clarify one thing as recently privately messaged.

I am not suggesting a re-write of lineages. Ruiel's suggestion would be entirely fabricated. It is a lie, plainly put, and not based in any fact.

I had no intention of suggesting we actually re-write Finduilas' descent, as the whole rumour about who she is "really" was a lie in the first place.

The fact that it is a lie should fan the flames of mistrust and doubt. Once the gossipers start to actually check matters, it is possible to dismantle the lie, as must happen according to the plot line.

So, in summary, I do not propose a re-write of Finduilas' lineage, or that of any other historical figure. I suggest a further lie be propagated based on a fabricated "real" lineage that would cast a suitable pall over Finduilas and Denethor in turn.

No better pall than a false link between Finduilas and a relative of Ar-Pharazon could I think of at the time.
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight
Old 07-13-2003, 08:05 PM   #203
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Lyra,

Thanks for clarification. In a court like this, a hundred rumors must surface every day!

Cami
Old 07-13-2003, 08:20 PM   #204
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

All Players

Now that the rumor of Finduilas' lineage has been clarified with the above statement:

Quote:
I am not suggesting a re-write of lineages. Ruiel's suggestion would be entirely fabricated. It is a lie, plainly put, and not based in any fact.
Please do go ahead, and connive to your hearts content!

Thanks!

Pio
Old 07-13-2003, 10:27 PM   #205
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Question

I'm gone a couple days and look what happens. Am I the only one to understand that Ruiel's thinking re: Finduilas was a lie? Do we have to get so hung up on such details when the rules, and therefore assumptions, at least on my part, are that thetre is no actual 'revision' of Tolkien canon here? Anyway, glad all was worked out.

As far as Ränne is concerned this day, I guess she will tend to Ruiel and all... I won't be on to post in the story 'til Tuesday so I will have to see where everyone is at then.

Ränne (Snowdog)
Old 07-14-2003, 01:21 AM   #206
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

I'm a bit puzzled by the suggestion that Lady Ruiel and her daughters could be living in the Steward's house, to say nothing of other Minas Tirith citizens. Certainly only his family would live there on a permanent basis, wouldn't they? I'm sure that there were rooms and suites for state guests, such as Finduilas and her entourage, but other than servants, maids and persons belonging to the Steward's household, I see no reason for others to live there. If Lady Ruiel has been trying to become a part of the normal society in Minas Tirith, she would have a house of her own, like all the other citizens, I should think. She is not an ambassador or something similar, after all.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 07-14-2003, 09:03 AM   #207
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Sting

Thats what I was thinking. By the way, is there any of the other maids who want to actally intract with Gwen?
Old 07-14-2003, 10:37 AM   #208
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

Alright then. Elora, and Arien, our characters will just live nearby in a v large estate with their own servants and such. It works, right?

Can we just pick that up from there then instead of editing our posts? They're very vague as to where we truly live anyhow so I don't think it's a big problem...

-Maikafanawen

[ July 14, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]
Old 07-14-2003, 06:45 PM   #209
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Works for me... and happily shall Ranne and I connive [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img].

As for location of accomodation, can we perhaps consider a compromise if there are those who think a re-edit for location is needed.

I agree that Ruiel will have made it her business to acquire her private Manor where she would be free with her daughters and others to conduct her business in private.

However, I also believe that it is possible that the Steward would have the capacity to offer temporary lodgings to guests so that they would not need to find carriage across Minas Tirith so late at night after an official function.

My compromise is that Dryea, her sister, mother and their household, would have installed themselves temporarily in the guest quarters but will of course need the privacy of their estates to further execute their nefarious plans.

Why do I suggest this? Well, I see a number of advantages outside of the tiresome editing well after the fact. (Editing can be a risky business, as it changes details that can have a consequential effect far beyond what you may think - ripples in a pond).

It gives the Umbarian contingent some "space" in which to get truly dastardly in. Ruiel will also possess estates in Dol Amroth too. You may recall from her character profile, she inculcated herself into Dol Amroth following her husband's demise... err, death I should say. Demise is alledged [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]. Where Ruiel acquired her weath is mysterious. Stands to reason she profited immensely from her activities, but those who do not know the real story behind the Umbarian contingent will not know about how she came by her wealth (extortion, racketeering, smuggling, murder for hire and so on and so forth - enterprising women, those ladies).

Secondly, it allows the impression of wealth, stability and luxuriant generosity of the House of Stewards that they can put guests up in such lodgings.

Thirdly, it means that the Gondor contingent can spy.... erm, I mean "learn" more about the Umbarian contingent whilst they're on their turf and observed by the Gondorian household staff and members. Fourthly, it means that the necessary equipment can be kept safe keeping for the treachery to occur. Fifth, it provides a stronghold for the Umbarians, where all their culpability can be concentrated should it be rooted out and captured. Informants can show up, seek shelter, spies smuggled in and out, contraband, weapons and so on and so forth.

With a stronghold captured, and all that it held, the guilt of the Umbarian group would be an easy case to make.

That's my suggestion as I see it.

Sorry if it muddies the waters further, but I think it could work to everyone's advantage.

Now, where's that Ranne gotten to? Ruiel needs to prepare for the luncheon and her departure to her manor. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight
Old 07-15-2003, 08:20 AM   #210
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Elora said:
Quote:
"I see a number of advantages outside of the tiresome editing well after the fact. (Editing can be a risky business, as it changes details that can have a consequential effect far beyond what you may think - ripples in a pond)."
No kidding. As it hasn't really been stated by most where the 'live', I can see and agree with Elora's view on the housing. Also, seeming (to me) incessent editing so that everything 'fits perfectly' in reality disrupts the flow of the story as everyone then has to scurry back to see the effects of any major edit (the ripples).

That said, The story looks good so far, and I hope to have a bit of time to post today.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:06 AM   #211
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Perfectly fine, Elora. The Steward has kindly extended his hospitality to your family for a few nights, but you may return to your own home shortly [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]. Excellent compromise.

Siriel and Tiriel, I promise will be arriving at Pelien's for lunch shortly.
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Old 07-15-2003, 03:27 PM   #212
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Dances for relief and joy

Thankyou indeed! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Unless my daughters or household disagree, I've made arrangements for the Umbarian contingent to return to their Manor after Pelion's Luncheon (presuming noone is arrested at that event for crimes of treason).

Now, I'de best get dragon lady evil mother to decorate it in suitable style. Parlor for receptions, dining hall, library and kitchens, housing for what few men are permitted to watch the gates and see to the horses.... all a suitable facade for inquisitive Minas Tirith visitors...

Also, suitably Umbarian facilities for it's residents. The bedrooms for example, offices, second library and store, not to mention the interrogation and holding pens, and the secretive entrance/exit system. Maids quarters, apothecary and so forth.

I do enjoy designing lairs for the nasties. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2003, 05:49 PM   #213
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

Where in accordance with everyone else's homes is the Morthaniawen Estate? Elora, you may decide so that it fits in with your brilliantly formulating idea if you don't mind.

-Maikafanawen
Old 07-15-2003, 08:22 PM   #214
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Just popping in to let everyone know I will be leaving (very early) tomorrow morning and I won't be back until either the 22nd or the 23rd. If I need to do any post, please do put a save space up for me so I can PM a post when I return. And I would like to be able to do a post for the luncehon party, somewhere around the middle where there is enough talk for Adrama to think a bit on it.

Happy gaming, all!
Old 07-16-2003, 01:39 AM   #215
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Hmmm... excellent question Maikafanawen . Where indeed?

There seems to be some room for discussion on how Minas Tirith was precisely organised, as in whom lived where precisely. I think it likely that the Citadel, in the highest and 7th circle held more buildings than Tolkien may have mentioned in passing reference.

I also think it is likely that housing was arranged according to "status" in the city, in the manner of western European castles . The more important one was, the higher up in the city they lived.

So with that in mind, I'll suggest that the Manor be located on the 6th level. It's close to the 7th, where the Steward would reside in the King's ertwhile place within the Citadel. Morthaniawen is a House of some repute and wealth, so whilst it is not a member of the Steward's House or the King's (obviously), it is still powerful. So, the 6th level seems to best fit.

There are strategic advantages in this also. The Houses of Healing are on the 6th level - a good supply of necessary herbs for healing or poisoning for the Morthaniawen adders that are nested there. There is a tunnel from the 6th to the Citadel which might come in handy for both Umbar and Gondor contingents. It will be easier to get people in and out of the palace and the city from the 6th (assuming gates are not closed).

It's under direct scrutiny, allowing Morthaniawen the opportunity to work with some greater privacy as is necessary for them to do so. It provides good access to the Citadel, as expected of a established member of court. Also means spies find it easier to be sent into Morthaniawen Estate from the 7th level.

The Errand Riders are based on the 6th, so Ruiel, Dryea and Alethea will find it easy to blend in their own horsed errand riders with that traffic.

Finally, for the side of the "nice people", Morthaniawen Estate would be embedded deep within what is ultimately hostile territory for the Umbars. All the strategic advantages that offers are also accompanied by high risks should they be uncovered.

Of course, we can' forgot the wonderful views from the 6th. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Hope that suits all. Please let me know what you think. I'm working on a description of the Estate now. Ruiel, in a move that is oddly permissive of her
[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] , asks that her daughters and maids PM her with any preferences as far as accommodation goes. That way, my description fits with all resident's needs. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2003, 04:37 AM   #216
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Just a question... Where have all the Dol Amroth women gone!?

There hardly seems to be any interaction between us to form a solid bond as Court women from the same city supporting out friend who has an arranged marriage.. see where im coming from.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 07-17-2003, 09:58 AM   #217
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Silmaril

Quote:
Where have all the Dol Amroth women gone!?
I know! Ihave no clue what to post except to be talking to Vieana.

EverDawn: On your last post, who say's the last line?. Sorry if it is a stupid question [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

-Earwen/Eleniel
Old 07-17-2003, 01:15 PM   #218
Ealasaid
Wight

Ealasaid has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am putting up a post between Averyll, Vieana, and Elen right now. You can pick it up from there. Sorry my posts have been so few! My schedule seems to be lightening up a bit now & I should be able to post more after today.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:21 PM   #219
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

Well I was only 16 min. late in filling my SAVE post. Not bad.

Alak: I'm assuming that you will post when Pelien is ready for the luncheon to begin?

I have sent Dryea to her mother's room to wait it out if this is okay with you Elora.

I still think I have too much conversation in my posts and not enough descriptive paragraphs. Oh well, will work on that.

I had also remembered to bring Hiriliean's (sp?) character into the story since she's absent.

Good posting everyone!

-Maikafanawen
Old 07-17-2003, 01:28 PM   #220
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Silmaril

Quote:
Alak: I'm assuming that you will post when Pelien is ready for the luncheon to begin?
Maika-The luncheon has already started. Siriel and Tiriel have already arrived.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:48 AM   #221
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

That last line was Vieana asking her if she could see what Vieana had been talking about.. And its not a stupid question, i put it at the end, which was stupid of me acctually. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 07-18-2003, 09:00 AM   #222
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Since Manardariel has not posted on the game since 07/06 and has left no message, as far as I can see, that she would be gone - would someone like to carry along her character until the writer surfaces?
Old 07-18-2003, 09:30 AM   #223
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

Alak and Sophia: If I put something in my last post that didn't fit with what you had in mind (Alak--room description; Sophia--Siriel & Dryea's slight amnosity) PM me and I'll change it. I just wanted to post up to date!

-Maikafanawen
Old 07-18-2003, 09:42 AM   #224
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Silmaril

Maika- You described the room as I pictured it...very nice.

One picky thing, and this goes to everyone, Pelien's name has been spelled at least three different ways so far in the game, would you mind humoring me and editing it? Thanks... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2003, 11:37 AM   #225
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Just checking- it is lunchtime now isn't it?
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 07-18-2003, 11:44 AM   #226
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Silmaril

Elora-I left my post short, because I'm not comfortable writing dialogue for Ruiel, however, I think Pelien and the Lady Morthaniawen could have an interesting conversation. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2003, 10:44 PM   #227
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Everyone

Since the writer for Finduilas has been gone for so long, and has not responded to my PM's - her character now becomes a carry along character - other players can use her in their posts as needed.

Just let others know, on the discussion thread when you are manipulating her in your posts.

~~ Pio, Shire Moderator
Old 07-19-2003, 12:01 AM   #228
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Ruiel's eyes light up at the announcement. She darts forward, quickly snatching up Finduilias and tucking her under arm. That done, she makes for a sturdy wardrobe, tosses the young girl inside and bolts the door shut with heavy and grim looking locks. Not happy with measures, Ruiel then swallows the key and flashes a smile of triumph at the assorted characters who's expression range from satisfaction and amusement to shock and downright outrage.

Smoothing her hands on her skirts, Ruiel murmurs, "That should do until I can get her carted off to some desolate outpost of the realm."

[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Sorry, Ruiel couldn't resist.

On other matters, looks like I have a bit of editing to do so far as names go and will do that as soon as I can. It's important, I acknowledge that, however my time is short at the moment to see it done.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2003, 04:07 AM   #229
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Ring

HI

I'm back.....I see that many things has happened so I'll try to post as soon as I can!
Old 07-19-2003, 10:27 AM   #230
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Silmaril

Elora: Does that mean that you are going to take up Findulias or Tessa?
Old 07-19-2003, 12:08 PM   #231
Ealasaid
Wight

Ealasaid has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wasn't Elora just being facetious about Finduilas? (I thought it was a joke.)
Old 07-28-2003, 09:31 PM   #232
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Wow, I could have sworn I posted on this thread earlier tonight, but it seems I haven't.

I know that content and storyline is very important to this game, but it is also important that we write correctly and use good grammar. In that spirit Orofaniel please check your spelling, Everdawn the word "I" needs to be capitalized.

The luncheon needs to end now, the seeds of the gossip are sewn, I think it's safe to have our next posts be of the dispersing ladies as they go to their own homes. I will try to put up Siriel and Tiriel's responses ASAP.

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Old 07-28-2003, 09:41 PM   #233
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Silmaril

I just wanted to post my return. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Also, I filled in the space I saved for Nuru's post.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:21 PM   #234
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

To Elvenhome