Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2005, 10:35 AM   #281
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The RPG fora are here by the grace and indulgence of the Barrow Wight.

Surely you can come up with some satisfactory corsair/seaman curses that are middle-earth based.

Consider it a challenge in descriptive writing . . .

~*~ Pio
Old 11-02-2005, 10:50 AM   #282
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by piosenniel
Surely you can come up with some satisfactory corsair/seaman curses that are middle-earth based.
Ulmo's underwear!

Drooping Elbereth!

Son of an orc!

Troll friend!

Ah, your mother's from Mordor!

(To a hobbit): Up yer hole!
Old 11-02-2005, 10:53 AM   #283
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

I'd probably run the Hobbit curse past the B-W.

Doubt that it would pass though.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:30 AM   #284
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Quote:
And gosh golly gee-whiz and cheerio to him
Because, naturally, all Umbarian corsairs were schooled in 1920s Eton

Ok, exeunt Aman the corsair, enter Aman the moan - Eorl, I'm...not really keen on that idea. I mean, you've already made Ferethor's escape a ship-wide alarm, as you put it, and as this is worked in with other posts, then fine, all well and good. But jumping into the water and then having Chakka rescue you? As Folwren said, it wouldn't happen, not believably - the Captain isn't even particularly sure whether he does want to even entertain the prospect of an alliance with Chakka, and his life would be rather more carefree if he was to just get rid of him. Far from wanting to make a rescue attempt, Rakin would be more likely to see this as a way to easily get rid of two troublesome slaves. Sorry, I just don't think it's realistic - that isn't meant to sound harsh, but really. And dressing in sailor's clothes would be unlikely to disguise him - this isn't a particularly big ship; the crew would probably all know each other. I won't ask you to change your last post, no point, but would you mind if in my next post, as you have already had Rakin "hurrying out onto the decks", I have Ferethor recognised and promptly thrown back to the oars? It would probably instill in him an even greater hate against Rakin, good for character development, but I don't see the others ideas about going overboard being realistically feasible.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:54 PM   #285
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Thanks for your suggestions, all, and I've decided to give up on that idea. Roleplay is a teamwork as Pio puts it, isn't it? Er, now that your name has come up, Pio, can you supply me with some seamanlike curses? Because unfortunately I know nothing but damn and hell and darn when it comes to English curses. Except for the F word, but then no, I'm not using that one. Again, my incompetence. Anyway, anyone have any suggestions?
Old 11-02-2005, 08:18 PM   #286
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well, the saying 'swearing like a sailor' in stories can be non-mandatory, you know.

Actually, if you think that you have to put it into the writing, than you may consider reading Tolkien's own stuff. If you read the LotR and Hobbit carefully, then you'll find that the word 'damn' is only used once in the entirety of the trilogy (and I'm pretty certain that it wasn't used in The Hobbit) and 'hell' is only used once in the Hobbit. The first by one of the two orcs in the chapter 'The Choices of Master Samwise' and the other by Bert or Tom, one of the trolls, I can't remember which, in the chapter 'Roast Mutton' (in The Hobbit).

Other words used as exclemations, strong or otherwise, was 'good heavens!' (by Frodo in Three is Company, I believe) and the hobbits often 'dratted that wizard'. I can't remember anything else in particular. Ah, yes. . . one of the trolls also said 'blinking', but I don't know how official that was.

Whatever help that is. . .come up with a few other ones, but make them innocent, how 'bout? *sweet smile*

-- Folwren
Old 11-02-2005, 08:22 PM   #287
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

How about "Bilges!"? Bilge was the name for the water that collected in the bottom of a ship. I've read it was rather dirty and unpleasant.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:42 PM   #288
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Here you go. These are culled from the plays of William Shakespeare -- for an insult for any occasion, begin with "thou" and then follow with one word from each of the following columns:

Column 1

artless
bawdy
beslubbering
bootless
cankerous
churlish
cockered
clouted
craven
currish
dankish
dissembling
droning
errant
fawning
fobbing
fool-born
froward
frothy
gleeking
goatish
gorbellied
ill-nurtured
impertinent
incestuous
incurable
infectious
jarring
loggerheaded
lumpish
loutish
mammering
mangled
mewling
paunchy
pribbling
puking
puny
qualling
rank
reeky
roguish
rump-fed
ruttish
saucy
spleeny
spongy
surly
tardy-gaited
tottering
unmuzzled
vain
venomed
warped
wayward
weedy
whoreson
wretched
yeasty

Column 2

addlepated
base-court
bat-fowling
beef-witted
beetle-headed
boil-brained
clapper-clawed
clay-brained
codpiece-sniffing
common-kissing
crook-pated
dismal-dreaming
dizzy-eyed
doghearted
dread-bolted
earth-vexing
elf-skinned
fat-kidneyed
fen-sucked
flap-mouthed
fly-bitten
folly-fallen
fool-born
foul-practicing
full-gorged
guts-griping
half-faced
hasty-witted
hedge-born
hell-hated
idle-headed
ill-breeding
ill-nurtured
knotty-pated
mad-brained
milk-livered
motley-minded
onion-eyed
plume-plucked
pottle-deep
pox-marked
reeling-ripe
rough-hewn
rude-growing
rump-fed
shard-borne
sheep-biting
spur-galled
swag-bellied
tardy-gaited
tickle-brained
toad-spotted
unchin-snouted
weather-bitten

Column 3

apple-john
baggage
barnacle
bladder
boar-pig
bugbear
bum-bailey
canker-blossom
clack-dish
clotpole
coxcomb
codpiece
death-token
dewberry
dotard
flap-dragon
flax-wench
flea
flirt-gill
foot-licker
fustilarian
giglet
gudgeon
haggard
harpy
hedge-pig
horn-beast
hugger-mugger
jolthead
knave
lewdster
lout
maggot-pie
malt-worm
mammet
measle
minnow
miscreant
moldwarp
mumble-news
nit
nut-hook
pigeon-egg
pignut
pumpion
puttock
ratsbane
rudesby
scut
skainsmate
strumpet
varlot
vassal
wagtail
water-fly
whey-face
winter-cricket

Have at it thou gorbellied tickle-brained hugger-muggers!
Old 11-02-2005, 09:55 PM   #289
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

All praise Fordim, the swear-maker! Thanks, that's more than enough to last my lifetime. Anyway, Aman, I'm deleting my last post. That way, Ferethor's escape need not be ship-wide event, and then the problem is solved. +trots off to delete the latest post+

EDIT: Unfortunately, Fordim has written after me - it wouldn't fit the storyline if I delete it, would it?

PS to Fordim: If burning the ship is foolish, what would you suggest? (I've read too much 'Story of the Three Empires' (a history epic of China's early days), and I can't get the 'fire' part out of my mind. It worked for Jojo and Kong-Myung, didn't it? Dong-Tak had drawn water from the great river Hwang-Ha to block the fire, but anyway. )

Last edited by Eorl of Rohan; 11-02-2005 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:53 PM   #290
Hiriel
Wight

Hiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Hiriel
Hehe! Fordim, I did that Shakespear insult thing in 7th Grade English

Everyone, if it seems like I haven't been around lately, I have to excuses. The First one is Math, and the second one is IPC (Integrated Physics and Chemistry). They are my mortal foes. I battle them tomorrow from 8-3. Wish me luck! If I come out alive, you will have your king

4 8 15 16 23 42 ~Proud Lostaway
Old 11-03-2005, 10:36 AM   #291
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
[QUOTE=Eorl of Rohan]Er, that was MY sentence in MY paragraph, not Esau's, so don't go blaming her. QUOTE]

IDIOT me.
Sorry, spawn. (Or should I say Esau?)
And sorry, Eorl, that I insulted your copyright
Next time I will read the posts and the writers a bit more carefully...

Great list, Fordim, I bet that it'll be useful.

And I'm going to be away tomorrow (Friday) and the week-end, so if Lingwë needs to be carried along, I hope you, Kath, will do it. I suppose that Dunwen can do so also. And of course our dear cap Alcarillo, when he's writing the "interrogations"... (I hope there won't be sentences like "one of the young men, the one who looked slightly like a fish, was shuddering in fear, when the captain shot him his angry gaze. Then the coward whispered: 'I'll throw myself over board; I know I've committed a terrible crime, sir'"... )
Old 11-03-2005, 03:39 PM   #292
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiriel
Hehe! Fordim, I did that Shakespear insult thing in 7th Grade English

Everyone, if it seems like I haven't been around lately, I have to excuses. The First one is Math, and the second one is IPC (Integrated Physics and Chemistry). They are my mortal foes. I battle them tomorrow from 8-3. Wish me luck! If I come out alive, you will have your king

I AM ALIVE! Ok, first of all, I sent a quick little message to Hiriel to post that. I couldn't get to the downs, and it seems she forgot to put the -Perky. Well, at least for the Math part. I dunno if she's done that shakespear thing or not. Anyways, I'm alive, barely. It was a battle of epic proportions, and I survived on pure wits, but left my dignity behind. Oh Physics, Thou artless folly-fallen lewdster! Well, I should have more time now, since the big part is over. Trimester exams stink, and no mistake
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
Old 11-03-2005, 05:15 PM   #293
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
And I'm going to be away tomorrow (Friday) and the week-end, so if Lingwë needs to be carried along, I hope you, Kath, will do it.
But of course! Though you'll likely be back before anything needs to be done with him. I love your apology line by the way - throwing yourself overboard
Old 11-03-2005, 07:46 PM   #294
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
(I hope there won't be sentences like "one of the young men, the one who looked slightly like a fish, was shuddering in fear, when the captain shot him his angry gaze. Then the coward whispered: 'I'll throw myself over board; I know I've committed a terrible crime, sir'"... )
"And the captain sneered his evil sneer, 'Thou beslubbering hedge-born whey-face!' He now turned to Morgond, pale as snow. 'Toss him out my windows; I would like to watch the coxcomb drown. And let this be a lesson the the rest of you reeling-ripe dew-berries!' Morgond gripped the fishy one's shoulders, cold with sweat, and shoved him towards the gaping window at the captain's orders. . ."

If only I had read your post before I filled in the save.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:56 AM   #295
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Looks like you're safe this time Lommy! But looking at Alcarillo's post it appears that we have been split into two groups and I was just wondering who was going to end up with who so Dunwen, Lommy? Any preferences or ideas for pairs?
Old 11-04-2005, 05:20 AM   #296
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Looks like you're safe this time Lommy! But looking at Alcarillo's post it appears that we have been split into two groups and I was just wondering who was going to end up with who so Dunwen, Lommy? Any preferences or ideas for pairs?
(I actually got time for a brief visit today... )

We may thank Eru that Lingwë's safe this time...

For me, it's all the same who's with who. You (Kath+Dunwen) can decide.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:47 AM   #297
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Quote:
For me, it's all the same who's with who. You (Kath+Dunwen) can decide.
Well I was thinking of maybe pairing up with Dunwen if she doesn't mind so that I can maybe quiz Nimir about his father and find out if he knew mine. Only if that sounds ok to her though.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:54 AM   #298
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

From Folwren:

"What a dratted time to loose internet at home!

I may or may not be able to post until Tuesday, I'm not sure."
Old 11-05-2005, 02:30 AM   #299
Dunwen
Wight

Dunwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Well I was thinking of maybe pairing up with Dunwen if she doesn't mind so that I can maybe quiz Nimir about his father and find out if he knew mine. Only if that sounds ok to her though.
Fine by me, Kath ! Ironically, I found out I'm being sent out of town again on short notice from Monday to Thursday, and I won't have computer access. Alas, Nimir wouldn't have known your dad -- he didn't have any direct contact with Gondorian soldiers or sailors until he met the guy who recruited him.

So, are we polishing swords or on Kitchen Patrol?
Old 11-05-2005, 03:12 AM   #300
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pio, I know this isn't actually related to the roleplay, but I still can't figure out what 'celebrating with the white sox' in your address part means. What is soxs? They don't say on the dictionary.

---------------

EDIT by Pio

The White Sox are a baseball team and as of a few weeks ago, the winners of the World Series here in the U.S. Originally they called themselves the American League Chicago White Stockings (their whole uniform was white including their long socks).

The word 'Sockings' in their name was shortened to 'Sox' and the name stuck.

And here's probably more than you wanted to know: There was also a National League Chicago team called the White Stockings -- they became the Chicago Cubs (and will win the World Series in 2006! )

~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 11-06-2005 at 03:02 AM.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:28 AM   #301
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Quote:
Fine by me, Kath ! Ironically, I found out I'm being sent out of town again on short notice from Monday to Thursday, and I won't have computer access. Alas, Nimir wouldn't have known your dad -- he didn't have any direct contact with Gondorian soldiers or sailors until he met the guy who recruited him.

So, are we polishing swords or on Kitchen Patrol?
Ah well, Curamir is used to being disappointed. I don't mind which punishment we end up doing, but since Lommy is going to be on her own maybe we should let her pick Also, if you're going to be away I'll just take my post up to asking about your father and then leave it up to you what you say.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:45 AM   #302
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
This note was left by Fowlren on another game thread. She asked to have it put here so you folk would know as well.

Quote:
What a dratted time to loose internet at home...

I may or may not be able to post until Tuesday.

Cami
Old 11-05-2005, 03:17 PM   #303
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Eorl of Rohan

I've answered your question - edited it into your original post.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:24 PM   #304
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

GO ASTROS!

The Astros are a better baseball team than the White Sox, and will beat them second only to the New York Yankees
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
Old 11-05-2005, 03:28 PM   #305
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

pio forgive me but I don't understand. How can you root for the White Sox one year and the Cubs the next? Isn't that a bit fickle or am I missing some very important point?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT - by pio

I always root for the Cubs, every year, to make it to the World Series . . . heck I'm happy if they make it to the playoffs for their league!!!

And I'll root for them over any other team when they make it to the Series.

Until they do, I try to support the Series underdog team . . .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by piosenniel; 11-06-2005 at 03:00 AM.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:50 AM   #306
Dunwen
Wight

Kath wrote:
Quote:
Ah well, Curamir is used to being disappointed. I don't mind which punishment we end up doing, but since Lommy is going to be on her own maybe we should let her pick Also, if you're going to be away I'll just take my post up to asking about your father and then leave it up to you what you say.
Kath, that sounds great. If it's necessary to move things along, you have my permission to put words in Nimir's mouth or send him off somewhere. (Just don't kill or wound him, lol.)
Old 11-07-2005, 08:24 AM   #307
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Suppose Lingwë could be the chicken patrol, oooooooooops! Meant the kitchen patrol... Let's see what kind of monster I can create as his diswashing mate...
Old 11-07-2005, 11:28 AM   #308
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Quote:
Kath, that sounds great. If it's necessary to move things along, you have my permission to put words in Nimir's mouth or send him off somewhere. (Just don't kill or wound him, lol.)
I'll take care of him. Ok so if Lommy is taking kitchen duties I guess that puts us on sword cleaning. I'll try to get a post up tonight, though with werewolf it may have to wait til tomorrow as I'll be exhausted after the run up to the voting!
Old 11-08-2005, 04:01 PM   #309
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well, I've returned, for a short time, and I've managed to fill in my save.

Perky, I've given the king an offer of climbing the rigging - take it or leave it, depending on his character.

Lommy, I liked your dishwashing mate. And your Cook, though rather mean, was wonderfully protrayed. Good job.

-- Folwren
Old 11-08-2005, 04:16 PM   #310
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
Well, I've returned, for a short time, and I've managed to fill in my save.

Perky, I've given the king an offer of climbing the rigging - take it or leave it, depending on his character.

Lommy, I liked your dishwashing mate. And your Cook, though rather mean, was wonderfully protrayed. Good job.

-- Folwren

Well, I'd prefer a joyride of the ship, but I'll save that for the open water Take it or die by my sword (It's good to be the king )
Old 11-09-2005, 08:42 AM   #311
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Good lord, Perky, that was an unexpected reply and turn of events. . .from the king. Poor Hereric.

If you don't mind, take out his handling of the dagger. The rest should be alright, but I doubt that he'd reach for a weapon. It's more likely that he'd be shocked and embarrassed, rather than angry. Perhaps try to apologize, even, since he didn't know the King was kidding. (Yours and Alcarillo's posts absolutely cracked me up!)

I'll write something later in the day. *chuckle*

-- Folwren
Old 11-10-2005, 09:43 AM   #312
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
Thanks . I quite like the cook too, though Lingwë doesn't.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:03 PM   #313
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Dunwen I left my post at my question so you can take it from there!

Also people, please remind me when I've made a save, I thought I'd done that post days ago!
Old 11-14-2005, 11:13 PM   #314
Hiriel
Wight

Hiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Hiriel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Utahraptor, unenlagia, ugrosaurus, ultrasaurus - which is the best dinosaur?

No Pterodyctil? Well, if you insist...Ultrasaurus!

4 8 15 16 23 42 ~Proud Lostaway
Old 11-15-2005, 04:48 PM   #315
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Sorry Hiriel but no, it was dinosaurs beginning with a U I needed, and the general consensus was utahraptor in the end!

Also, is Dunwen around at all does anyone know? I'm quite curious as to the answer to Curamir's question!
Old 11-16-2005, 01:17 AM   #316
Dunwen
Wight

Kath, I am indeed back home at my lovely computer, having crawled out from under piles of work on my desk and piles of laundry at home. Your answer has been posted! I thank you for patience.

--Dunwen
Old 11-16-2005, 02:57 AM   #317
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Hi Dunwen! Looks like poor Curamir had the wrong end of the stick entirely. Apologies, I wasn't trying to bully you into an answer, I was just wondering where you'd disappeared to.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:02 PM   #318
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Shield

~*~ PELAGIR STARTS TOMRROW!!! ~*~

I'm sorry I haven't been on much, but my internet connect is having spasms. Get anything you want out for the night right now. Tomorrow, Hiriel will post the Umbarian forces landing in Pelargir. Gondorians don't get there til night, so only Baddies can post about the battle! They need a head start
Old 11-17-2005, 01:35 AM   #319
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Where's Aman? We seem to have missed our game of chess...
Old 11-17-2005, 08:51 AM   #320
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

You could put a couple saves up, Anguirel, if you really wanted to play that game of chess before the battle. . .

-- Folwren