Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2003, 09:29 PM   #361
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Green Dragon Inn Facts:

It is the 4th Age, year 12. By the Shire Calendar it is year 1433 S.R. (Shire Reckoning).

King Elessar is on the throne.

Mirkwood has been reclaimed by the Elves and is now called Eryn Lasgalen.

Paladdin Took, Pippin’s father, is Thain of the Shire. (Thain is an honorary title for the military leader of the Shire. The title has been held in the Took Family since the position was first established in 3rd Age 1979 with Bucca of the Marish as First Thain.) Paladdin Took dies in year 13, and will be succeeded by his son, Peregrin, ‘Pippin’, Took.

Samwise Gamgee is Mayor of the Shire, having succeeded Will Whitfoot in 1427 S.R.

* The Innkeeper, in the Green Dragon Inn of this forum, is:

Aman – a young woman from Rohan. *

Before her, the Innkeeper was Piosenniel, and before her it was Dwarin, the Dwarf.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Other ongoing characters in the Inn:

Derufin, a Man from Ethring in the Ringló Vale, is the stablemaster and general handyman/jack of all trades for the Inn. (Character written for by Envinyatar)

Vinca Bunce, Hobbit – ‘Cook’ – widowed runs the kitchen (Character written for by Piosenniel)

Ruby Brown, Hobbit – not married – server and maid

Buttercup Brownlock, Hobbit – not married – kitchen assistant and maid

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Ongoing characters from outside the Inn:

Halfred Whitfoot – local Shiriff and Postmaster; his pony’s name is Dumpling.

Amaranthas Bolger – very old, crotchety Hobbit from Hobbiton, nicknamed ‘The Dragon’

Piosenniel – Elven, Innkeeper prior to Aman; married to Mithadan; has two children: a twin boy and girl; as yet unnamed infants.

It is nearing midmorning of a midsummer day in the Shire. The weather is fair, though there are clouds on the horizon.

[ November 01, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 11-01-2003, 11:19 PM   #362
Mantauriel
Newly Deceased

Mantauriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Dimgwrthien rides up on a white horse, looking about the horizon for signs of anyone before entering the inn. She throws her head back and hopes for rain to approach later.

Entering the inn, she sees a crowd of people. Dimgwrthien sits in a corner chair, watching everyone and waiting to order. Her cloak gets cast aside along with the fingerless gloves her favored. Sighing, her eyes closed and she thought on the past.

Ruby walks up to Dimgwrthien, who just opened her eyes, trying to know rid the thoughts from the Third Age.

"What would you like?" the hobbit asks the Elf.

"Hm... just water." The dark cloak had somehow tangled on the clumsy Elfling as she tried to sit up. "Darn..." she muttered under her breath. Her voice was soft and graceful like any Elf's, but she muttered a few words that noone would be able to hear. She shook her head as the hobbit retreated and fixed her wond blown hair.

"Illuvater... Why do the Ages pass like wind?" she breathed into her soft hands. A moment later, she saw Ruby walk back up to her. "Thank you," she purred to the hobbit as she was handed the cup. Outside the wondow, the clouds remained, and Dimgwrthien opened up some random book she found in her pocket, written in Quenya. "What's this?" Without looking at the title, she read a fewpages of it, waiting to anything to happen.

[ November 02, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Elladan and Elrohir stared at Rumil, Haldir, and Orophin before them. Legolas had a blank stare to all. "See the creature? Ready to kill us?" Figwit sighed and Aragorn pointed to the object Legolas was reffering to.

"That's a rock."
Old 11-01-2003, 11:29 PM   #363
Mantauriel
Newly Deceased

Silmaril

Mantauriel

I have edited this post onto the end of the post just above this.

Please check your PM's (Private Messages)- by clicking on the 'my profile' prompt at the top right of the page.

~*~ Pio, Shire Moderator

*Will remove this post once you have responded to the PM.

Elladan and Elrohir stared at Rumil, Haldir, and Orophin before them. Legolas had a blank stare to all. "See the creature? Ready to kill us?" Figwit sighed and Aragorn pointed to the object Legolas was reffering to.

"That's a rock."
Old 11-02-2003, 02:27 AM   #364
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Sírabel had been quite content by herself, as she usually was these days, with only her imagination and the sky abover her to keep her company. The young woman just couldnt remember the last time she had a decent conversation, or any conversing which had been previously done was certainly not worth of being recorded as a proper talk from one person to another, more like from Sírabel to passin horses or a pony which she might sometime have to carry her long distances.

She was managing to knot small strands of her deep burgundy hair as she drank her tea, in her dream state, oblivious to the goings on around her.

Quote:
"My adventrues have taken me many places. My name is Elizabeth - I am an elf from Galadreal's relm. What is your name, and where are you from?"
Sírabel snapped her head around to the table behind her, where sat a male elf and a female, scarred elf. She then spun the whole way round on her stool facing them. She spoke first to the male elf, "You are in the company of an elf!.. Elf." Now she did not expect the man to react in any other way than confused, as the answer was obvious. To the woman elf she spoke "Galadriel's realm? I have seen the ourside of that wood, many times have i longed to venture into it and capture the image. But alas! Long has it been since the elves emptied from there, or so they say, that i fear that i may be too mortal to enter such a sacred land."

She trailed off as if in another dream like state. "It is Marvellous... Do you think?"

[ November 03, 2003: Message edited by: Everdawn ]

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 11-02-2003, 03:08 AM   #365
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Sting

Alone again. Thats how it always has been for her. Now her identity out she sat there in the troubles that surrounded her life and her name. "Forgive me Father."

The place was getting a little too crowded for her. Yet she didn't want to leave. So many people here. She noticed the elf maiden setting with what seemed to be a man but she paid them no attention.

She got up from her table and began to walk towards the bar when she started hearing voices in her head again. "Excuse me. A glass of water please." she said to the man at the bar. She stood there yet the voices wanted her to leave.

Just leave me alone she thought to herself. I will be fine I just need to stop these voices. She glanced around one last time to see a maiden setting at the end of the bar. So I'm not the only one alone. Many people are alone today. Sad it is truely. My father would be proud to see how the world is with out his help. He couldn't stay here for forever. She noticed she had drifted away and only to come back and realize she was truely alone now.

"Why father? Why? Is this how its ment to be or is there a hidden something in me." She felt for her amulet she had confiscated from her fathers body. The amulet ment nothing to her anymore.

After she got her glass of water she noticed a man in the corner. She began to walk back to her table but instead went to greet the man.
"Excuse me. My name is Sma.. its Cree. May I join you? You look like you could use the company. Gorbaus is it? I over heard you and Aman I believe is his name."

She had thought he would say no thats what they always say when you ask to join them. "So what will it be set alone or let me join you and end some of the loneliness here in the Green Dragon."

[ November 02, 2003: Message edited by: Witch_Queen ]

[ November 02, 2003: Message edited by: Witch_Queen ]
Old 11-02-2003, 06:26 AM   #366
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

"Why, I am Fin, elf lord of Mirkwood," he replied. "I have not entered the Green Dragon for a long time, and it seems I have returned at just the right moment." He smiled at her. "On to the Havens you may be, but surely you have not forsaken Middle Earth. There are many joys yet to be found within its boundaries."

He turned and waved Rose over. "Hello my dear," he began in a juanty voice. "I would like a dry white wine for myself and whatever the lady desires."

Elizabeth said what she would like and Rose asked, "would you like any food, my lord? We have a stew boiling in the pot," and with this she indicated the huge pot hanging over the hearth.

"That would be most welcome," he replied, "make it two bowls, then the lady may eat some if she has a care to."

Rose nodded and left to gather the order and Fin returned to the lovely elvish maiden before him. "How long are you here?" he inquired, "and why is it that you travel alone and unattended?"

[ November 02, 2003: Message edited by: the real findorfin ]
Old 11-02-2003, 09:39 AM   #367
Mantauriel
Newly Deceased

Sting

When Dimgwrthien saw several converstations go on, she poised herself upright to eavsdrop. Her curious nature had, yet again, gotten the better of her. When she heard a few words of one, she noticed a growing shadow over her. Slowly turning, she saw a person, but they were covered with a cloak.

"Yes?" she stuttered. The person just looked over her and went over to the next table to where someone was talking. Dimgwrthien raised an eyebrow at this. Who was the person?

"That's a rock."
Old 11-02-2003, 11:54 AM   #368
elf-girl-63
Haunting Spirit

elf-girl-63 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Nuinyulma yawned, after finishing her conversation lwith Pio last last night, she had wandered to her room and had sat humming old tunes from her homeland. Pio's words still echoed in her mind, if Eryn Lasgalen was home to the elves once more then perhaps she could visit the wood. She stretched out her arms and got up, splashed some cool water onto her pale face and looked out of the window.

The Shire sparkled in the mid-morning sun although there appeared to be some ominous clouds headed the inn's way. She looked down onto the land again and saw some young hobbits playing. Nuinyulma smiled and shook her head to awaken her properly. The stables seemed to have filled up and she thought of her own horse Lainniss. The name suited her well- independent- and Nuinyulma had been meaning to visit her.

She smoothed her dress down and stepped lightly down the narrow stairs to the common room. It was unusual for her to awake to late in the morning and she frowned in annoyance at what she may have missed. Entering, the common room Nuinyulma found an empty table and surveyed the room before her. She had been right. There were many new faces here and both Ruby and Buttercup were flying from the bar to tables to the kitchen and back.

"Good morning Mistress Nuinyulma. What can I get you this morning?" Aman looked rushed off her feet and so the elf decided to be brief.

"Some, coffee please Aman and whatever is left of breakfast. I'm a little late this morning."

The innkeeper nodded, "I'll bring it over as soon as. Though, I can't promise there'll be much left. As you can see," she waved her arm across the room, "we're rather busy today." She escaped to the kitchen to fetch Nuinyulma's order.

Meanwhile, Nuinyulma sighed. She thought of Uien and Falowik and how disappointed they would be. Doran had disappeared and she had pushed Tiruviel away who had also vanished. It was almost 15 minutes before Aman returned carrying some coffee and toast.

"I'm sorry but there were so many orders and Cook's running out of food," she placed the pot and plate on the table, "I'm afraid this is all I could find. Mind, there's plenty of coffee! Folk round here aren't so keen on it." SHe was immediately called away leaving the elf to have her breakfast alone.

Nuinyulma soon finished the toast and drained the cup. She then took leave of the inn and ran to the stables.

"Mellon!" she cried to her horse as Lainniss neighed appreciatively as Nuinylma nuzzled her mane. "You're one the few I have here as well."

Lainniss snorted and stamped her feet. SHe then poked her nose into her owner's pocket and appeared with a cold piece of toast.

"Hmmmmmm. Well you were going to have that later but it appears Rohan horses are particularly intelligent. Though maybe not as others. For example, SHadowfax."

The horse snorted again but this time in disapproval.

"DOn't worry Lainniss, I will ride you again soon. You would've been ridden sooner if it were not for..." She stopped and smiled. Anyway, I'm sure you are perfectly happy with your own kind."

She looked around the stables at the other horses and smiled. Then stroking hers one last time she left them and skipped out into the yard. She found the children and watched them for a while before returning to the inn to think.

All that is gold does not glitter...
Old 11-02-2003, 12:01 PM   #369
Elizabeth Elindel
Pile O'Bones

Elizabeth Elindel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Joys, yes, there may be, but there are sorrows as well, many of them, and that is why I wish to depart," Elizabeth softly said. "For a long time I lived with kin in Rivendell, and then I left on a journey to Lothlorian. That proved to be my undoing, for I was ambushed by a wandering company of yarch. I was taken captive... luckly, the group was one of the last strongholds in Moria, and not under the power of the white hand, before the war of the Ring, so I was not taken to Isengard or to Mordor, and I still shudder to think what might have happened to me, had I been taken there." Elizabeth turned her face away, and shuddered slightly.

"I walk alone beacuse no one would have me, in answer to your last question. Beacuse of my captivity - let's just say that I'm not the person that I used to be, outwardly, and inwardly."
Old 11-02-2003, 12:14 PM   #370
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

Fin was sorrowed by her words and tale. "My lady, you have a much grievous past, but that is behind. Remain a while here I beg, and, if your mind is still not turned away from the westerward journey then pray, let me accompany you so far as your path leads in Middle Earth. I would not see you walk alone when company thou could have."

Fin was interupted by a cough from Rose as she stood behind him. "Your food and drink," she explained, putting a tray down on the table.

"Thank you," Elizabeth said.

"My pleasure," Rose replied, "anything to help you evade Fin's exaggerated speeches."

"I beg your pardon, sweet Rose," Fin exclaimed, turning to her, "I speak nothing but the truth to the radiant elvish lady before me."

"Hmph," the serving women said and, smiling, walked away to serve other customers.

"Well?" Fin asked, slipping back into the conversation.

[ November 02, 2003: Message edited by: the real findorfin ]
Old 11-02-2003, 02:23 PM   #371
Elizabeth Elindel
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Elizabeth's eyes wandered to the window, and she gazed out for a few moments. Then, she turned back to Fin, searching his face with her eyes intently. No one had ever asked her something like this before. Even at home, she had been the outcast, the person whom no one would talk to. Interstingly enough, she was an orphen, both of her parents died when she was young. As a result, she had taken up wepons to defend herself, and had lived for many years as a wanderer, going from place to place.

As a result, she was rather puzzled and suspicus when Fin asked her if she would say for a time. "Why do you care?" She asked suddenly and abruptly. "What is the reason that you ask me this?"

[ November 02, 2003: Message edited by: Elizabeth Elindel ]
Old 11-02-2003, 03:24 PM   #372
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Everyone

Please note that in the Inns and in the RPG's writers are encouraged to be more descriptive and less chatty in their posts.

Try to expand your posts if needed.

Chatty posts (ones that consist of mostly dialog/monolog) with little descriptive prose, will be sent back to their writers for revision.

Let us see how your character is acting - what he/she thinks, smells, hears, feels, etc.

Thanks!

~*~ Piosenniel, Shire Moderator

Old 11-02-2003, 05:44 PM   #373
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

As I tentatively allowed Elentari to guide me down the stairs and to the delicious breakfast that wafted through my room, I mused upon her words. I wondered if I had been wallowing in self pity, and decided that I wasn’t, technically.

A wooden bowl was clunked unexpectedly in front of me and I could feel the steam rise and burn my cheeks. It smelled like porridge. Elentari invited Soronume to breakfast with us as she put a wooden in my hand. I carefully scraped off the top so that I would not burn my tongue and blew gently upon it. It was strange eating without being able to see your food, which was just as well since I thought that porridge looked unappetizing anyway: sort of like -- well, I shan’t mention what I thought it looked like.

It tasted good, though and very soon I was scraping the bottom of the bowl with my spoon. Then, turning to Elentari with a smile, I said: I cannot play the harp because I haven’t practiced, it is because I am blind.” Hearing her about to protest, I raised my hand to silence her and continued, “I have seen women play looking at music written on paper and only glancing occasionally at the strings. I must learn to do that as well.”

Sinking into my chair, I rubbed my eyes, hoping that the ache would go away. I realized that I had actually been sinking into a kind of despair and that it was actually kind of stupid to do that since then I would be left with nothing. If I gave into despair, then I would delude myself into thinking I could do nothing. Elentari was right, after all.

Old 11-02-2003, 08:01 PM   #374
Mantauriel
Newly Deceased

Sting

When Dimgwrthien returned outside, she smelled the morning dew. It was around one, by the rising sun. At the stables, her horse, Maik neighed softly. Dimgwrthien felt her blue eyes slide open (couldn't help it) at she mounted the white horse, and nearly fell asleep.

The shadow approached again. Being ready, she grabbed the sword at her side and raised it to her right. Maik stepped backward a few feet and neighed again.

"Noro lim!" she whispered urgently to the horse, but he was frozen in terror. "It's only a shadow! Move!" she hissed. In her mind though, she was also fearing what could raise her hair and scare the horse. When she slowly turned to the shadow, she gasped and nearly fell off again.

"Elrohir?" she heard herself whisper. The face of the Elf she had come to know at Rivendell swam before her. Granted that she was near sleeping, she tried to beleive it was him. After all, she never heard news that he was gone. In a heartbeat, she thought she saw him slid back on her horse and they rode away, she thoughts swimming in a pool of her mind.

"That's a rock."
Old 11-02-2003, 10:15 PM   #375
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Ealasaide has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

As Avarlondwen stepped over the threshold into the common room of the inn, a smile touched her delicate features. It had been a long time since she last been to the Green Dragon, but she could see in a glance that very little had changed. It was almost as though time had stood still in the Shire. She liked that. So much had changed outside the boundaries of the Shire that she found this island of continuity comforting. Laying her hood back on to her shoulders, she looked around for an empty chair. Seeing one next to a very pretty, but young-looking elf, she moved in that direction.

Actually, she was surprised at the number of elves that were present in the inn that morning. Since the beginning of the Fourth Age, so many of her kind had already journeyed to Mithlond and boarded Cirdan’s white ships. She knew that she should go herself, but still felt unable to leave Middle Earth. She hoped to see Eryn Lasgalen, the wood of green leaves, and walk beneath the boughs of its ancient trees at least once more before she departed for the Undying Lands. She sighed. The Shire was a long way from Eryn Lasgalen, or Mirkwood as it was called in darker days. Perhaps one day soon...

She pushed her long, golden hair back with one hand and sat down beside the elven maiden she had noticed earlier. She believed she had heard someone call her Eamane.

“Mae govannen,” she said pleasantly. “My name is Avarlondwen. May I join you?” As she looked at the young elf maiden, she was suddenly struck by the familiarity of her features. Something about her, the way she smiled perhaps, reminded Avarlondwen strangely of her brother. She had not seen him in many, many years, not since she had left the northern woodlands and gone south to live with the elves of the Lothlorien in the beginning of the Third Age. She did not know if her brother even still remained in Middle Earth, but the face of this girl filled her with a sudden longing for family. It had been so long.
Old 11-03-2003, 03:21 AM   #376
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Fin sighed deeply. He was no longer in the Woodland Realm of his birth and people did not know him. Elizabeth had every right to question his motives. He wondered why he had offered her his companionship? It was another spur of the moment decision that he was prone to making.

After taking some time to form his response, he began, "so many of my friends have left these shores in the last few years, and I did not have the chance to persuade them otherwise or to even say goodbye." His face showed the smallest signs of the sorrow buried within. "I had no right to persuade you to stay, but perhaps you may still let me accompany you. No one should take this journey alone, not their last in Middle Earth." His voice had lost its bravado and he was speaking truthfully now. "You look in need of a friend."

He dipped his eyes and returned to eating his stew with the small wooden spoon. Elizabeth was silent and also continued to eat. Fin worried his extraverted front had scared Elizabeth away and scolded himself. Not every elf he met would be a swooning maiden taking in my sweet words.

After scrapping the last of the gravy from the bottom of the bowl, he finished his wine and looked up at her. "I am sorry Elizabeth. Please forgive me."

The bustle in the inn was loud but Fin concentrated and blocked out the sounds about him; laughing hobbits, quiet elvish whispers and the talk of men. What would Elizabeth say?
Old 11-03-2003, 06:37 AM   #377
Elizabeth Elindel
Pile O'Bones

Sting

"Perhaps it has been the theme all my life of being left out." Elizabeth said. "So many people have left me alone so many." Inwardly, she thought 'and perhaps when one did ask for my companionship, I feared being rejected, so I nearly turned him away.'

The noise swirled around her, she seemed unable to block it out. The air was very warm, but still, she shivered, and drew her vail tighter around her face, as though she wanted no one else to see beneath it. The food had revived her, and she felt better, but Fin's request had startled her. But then, again, he was a kindred elf. Did all elves act this way towards each other? She was still young, even by their own reckoning, and she had never learned.

The decisions tugged at her mind. At length, she said "I will stay the night, in the morning I will decide what I will do."

[ November 03, 2003: Message edited by: Elizabeth Elindel ]

[ November 03, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 11-03-2003, 11:33 AM   #378
Celebnariel

Sting

Eamane looked up as the strange elf joined her. It seemed long since she had talked with someone similar to herself. The elf said her name was Averlondwen and asked if she could join her. Eamane replied: "yes of course, I am Eamane."

As she looked at Averlonwen she was amazed by the resemblance between them. She thought suddenly of the people she was in search of, could this be? was it possible that her quest would be over so soon? Thinking it unwise to be so hopeful she decided to find out more about Averlonwen.
"Do you live in these parts? I have never been here before."

Old 11-03-2003, 11:46 AM   #379
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Draug licked his lips,mmmm meat pies, havn't had something hearty like that in a while...or ever for that matter, he looked up at Camlost a glean in his yellow gold eyes; 'well then, seems to me she won't miss one at all and theres no 'arm splitting it between the two of us'. He gave a toothy grin trotting up to the front window to have a gander at the goings on in the Inn.

Draug's ears shot up at once; why, theres little people in there with hairy feet!!, he eyes them curiously, so the orcs were telling the truth but they didn't look half as bad as the orcs mae them out to be; in fact they looked rather jovial and in good spirits. But what's this? They look like men, but they walk about as if they float and they seem to glow with fairness! ... Elves they must be. This is too much for me Elves and Hobbits!

His tail swished from side to side, stirring up the dust around him. He turned back to Camlost who was giving him a queer eye 'what's wrong, 'ever seen Hobbits before?' he croaked down at him, 'Hobbits! I've never seen nor Elves for that matter, I've heard tales and rumors but never seen them' he sat down lifting up his hind leg to scratch under his chin.

'Well?' cooed Camlost bobbing his head up and down, 'yes, yes, well you'll have to distract you can fly and are far smaller than I am not as easy to catch, I can grab the pie then off the back windowsill. Sound like a plan?' Draug went up to the window again making sure no one could see him as he continued to fancy the Elves and Hobbits.
Old 11-03-2003, 02:18 PM   #380
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Camlost, the crow

The two hungry creatures made their way to the back of the Inn. Draug padded silently from bush to tree, keeping in the shadows. His last hiding place was just behind the storage shed that sat at the end of the Inn garden. Hunkering down beneath a potting table that sat up against the side of the outbuilding, he was well hidden. His keen yellow eyes were focused on the window sills that flanked the kitchen door. The quarry was in sight!

Camlost was perched on the top of the shed, his head twisting back and forth as he surveyed the area. The scent of the wolf had caused a minor alarm in the chicken pen and some uneasiness in the stable that stood just across the yard. A man, the stableman the crow assumed, had come out to the yard to check for the source of the problem.

Squawking loudly, the crow flew to a perch on the edge of the stable eaves that overlooked the chicken pen. ‘So it’s you causing all this commotion, is it?’ eyeing the crow. ‘You looking for some leftover chicken feed to snatch up? Or some spilled oats, perhaps.’ Camlost bobbed his head and croaked, almost as if answering him. The man shooed him off and went back into the stables to quiet the horses.

‘Another stupid two-leg,’ chuckled Camlost circling back to the roof of the shed. ‘There’s no one about now,’ he hissed to his hidden companion. ‘And look, the Cook has been so kind as to set out the bread for the noon meal. A cooling rack with fat, fragrant loaves had been put on a table just outside the kitchen door.

‘Be quick now, Sir Wolf!’ said Camlost spreading his wings for a silent glide that would bring him over the table. ‘You grab a pie; I’ll get the bread. We’ll meet in that copse of tall trees and bushes to the south of the Inn yard . . .’
Old 11-03-2003, 02:45 PM   #381
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Aman’s eyelids flicked up suddenly and she sat up carefully in bed, awoken by some instinct that told her something was wrong. Apparently an instinct that worked purely on gut feeling or was triggered by birdsong though, the Innkeeper thought, sleepily annoyed, for at first she couldn’t hear anything. Then the soft murmur of a man’s voice, followed by the smooth, quiet melody of another, followed by the click of the door closing and a key turning in the lock, sounds almost inaudible if you weren’t listening for them, told Aman why she hadn’t been able to hear anything, and with a jolt she came to her senses. To be sure, elves moved silently, and Uien was one of the best at it.

Now fully awake, the Innkeeper grabbed her long, loose cloak off the end of the bed and swung it over her bed-clothes as she ran across her dark bedroom, the shutters still closed. Tripping on something left on the floor (Aman had never really been a big one for cleaning up – she simply didn’t let Cook into her room now), Aman added doing a quick sweep around her room before Pio saw the state of it to her ever-growing list of things to do as she stumbled, losing a few seconds. Then, making her way by touch and by memory of where she had left things and where things usually were, the Innkeeper ran down the stairs as quietly as she could without wakening the Inn’s denizens and guests, reaching the Common Room…to the faint sound of hooves.

Aman sighed and slowed down, realising she had indeed missed Uien and Falowik. Going towards the window which looked out on the bend of the path, still shuttered in the dark room, Aman brushed past the large central table, her fingers sweeping lightly across it, before the encountered something and stopped its passage. Picking up the letter inquisitively from its neat perch between two salt shakers, Aman opened the shutters of the window she had been going towards, and in the dawn light she read the flowing, elegant hand in which her name was inscribed on the front, immediately recognising it. Fumbling in her coat pocket as and glancing after the riders, now trotting into the middle distance, the Innkeeper slit the envelope open with a pen knife, and unfurled the letter inside it, smiling slightly.

She read the letter through twice, her eyes taking in every word of the even, slanting script first quickly, then more slowly, drinking in every word with a fond sadness, a smile hovering around her lips, especially when she read the part about ‘not even knowing whether I could tie my own shoelaces’. She realised how much she was going to miss Uien, but at the same time, her heart swelled with pride for the elf in the quest that she was going to do, along with Falowik. Looking up once more at the now empty path, Aman raised a hand in silent salute, smiling sadly. “Good luck, both of you, good luck and gods speed,” she murmured, adding afterwards with a slightly wider smile, “You’re a lucky man, Falowik, take care of her.”

Although she was not sure if she would have managed to communicate to the pair in mind speech, as she and Pio could, she somehow felt that they had heard her.

Well, I’m certainly not going to get back to sleep now… the Innkeeper rose from her perch on the windowsill, disappearing into her room for a few moments, and coming out afterwards fully clothed in a soft, cotton dress the colour of cornflowers, its skirt rustling slightly with a light, efficient sound. Making her way around the Common Room, Aman opened all the windows, woke the sleepers who she had managed to miss last night, and began to prepare for a new day, humming quietly under her breath (not loud enough to wake those upstairs, of course) a tune she had heard Uien once singing to the horses to calm and soothe them…

~*~

“Cook, is there anything left of breakfast?”

Aman called this from the kitchen doorway, popping her head around into the kitchen from the rather crowded Common Room. As she did so, a great cloud of steam rose from the sink as Buttercup left the bacon pan in to wash. Cook raised her eyes skywards and Buttercup winced.

“Well, we could have some more bacon, but now…”

“Sorry, Cook – ” Buttercup started sheepishly, before it was waved away with the steam by Cook.

“Just dry up and set some more on, please.” Buttercup hastened to do so, and Cook turned to Aman, her plump face rosy. “I don’t know, so many things to do of late.”

Aman nodded, grinning, opening her mouth to start speaking…before stopping, lips still parted as she stared through the cloud of steam out of the window. Good grief, it couldn’t be, surely… Darting to the window, the Innkeeper peered out quickly, looking around…just in time to see a rather mangy, shaggy rear end disappear sharply around the corner. Getting the unnerving feeling she was being watched, Aman looked up into the tree outside the kitchen window. She almost laughed.

“Getting paranoid, Aman…thinking you’re being watched, and thinking you’ve seen a wolf….in the Shire? I ask you…” Aman murmured, feeling foolish. Cook raised her eyebrows in askance.

“Hmm?”

“Oh, nothing Cook, nothing at all,” Aman replied quickly , then, hoping to avoid suspicion of her suspicions, she added, “Just…just tired that’s all.”

Vinca nodded, satisfied, and turned back to put on the bacon and some more toast. Rubbing her eyes, Aman went back into the Common Room to deal with the customers and, she hoped, get herself a cup of coffee...
Old 11-03-2003, 02:47 PM   #382
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

We have reached the limit for this thread, as requested by the Barrow Wight.

Please continue on The Green Dragon Inn - Part 7

[ November 03, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]