The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2004, 06:46 PM   #1
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
My Precious?

Recently, I was rereading The Hobbit, or, more specifically, the "Riddles in the Dark" chapter, when this occurred to me. Obviously, the Ring had long since consumed Gollum's mind, and it was the most valuable and precious thing he had. The question is, what is really Gollum's precious? Let me explain:

The first time we hear Gollum speak is immediately after he is described to us:
Quote:
"Bless us and splash us, my precioussss! I guess it's a choice feast; at least a tasty morsel it'd make us, gollum!" And when he said gollum he made a horrible swallowing noise in his throat. That is how he got his name, though he always called himself "my precious." (italics Tolkien's, bolding mine.)
And a few sentences later:
Quote:
What iss he, my preciouss?" whispered Gollum (who always spoke to himself through never having anyone else to speak to).
It seems pretty clear that here, "my precious" is in fact Gollum himself. In LotR, it seems very explicit that "my precious" is the Ring. This is how Frodo and Sam understand it: Sam says in "The Stairs of Cirith Ungol": "But I was forgetting - his Precious. I suppose the whole time it has been The Precious for poor Smeagol." When Frodo talks to Gollum about the Ring, he always uses the term "precious." With the possible exception of in "The Taming of Smeagol", there would not seem to be a doubt that Gollum uses "my precious to refer to himself - even he calls himself Smeagol. This might be passed off as a difference or controversy between the two books, except towards the end of "Riddles in the Dark", there is this:
Quote:
He had a ring, a golden ring, a very precious ring. (...) "Where iss it? Where iss it?" Bilbo heard him crying. "Lost it is, my precious, lost, lost! Curse us and crush us, my precious is lost!"
Usually in the Hobbit, the ring is "his birthday present", but here, the Ring is certainly the precious being referred to. And, it LotR, he appears to be using "the precious" in both ways within sentences of each other:
Quote:
"Ach, sss! Cautious, my precious! More haste less speed. We musstn't rissk our neck, musst we, precious? No, precious - gollum!" He lifted his head again, blinked at the moon, and quickly shut his eyes. "We hate it," he hissed. "Nassty, nassty shivery light it is - sss - it spies on us, precious - it hurts our eyes."
He was getting lower now and the hisses became sharper and clearer. "Where iss it, where iss it: my Precious, my Precious? It's ours, it is, and we wants it. The thieves, the thieves, the filthy little thieves. Where are they with my Precious?"
So the question is: what is "the precious", really? Does Gollum associate himself with the Ring in some strange way, to the point that in his mind they are really the same thing? He is certainly attached the Ring strongly enough. If this is so, what does Gollum mean when he swears to serve the master of the precious "by the precious"? Is he really swearing by the Ring, as Sam and Frodo think? Or does Gollum simply use the same term for the two things that are most precious to him: the Ring, and his life?

Last edited by Firefoot; 11-22-2004 at 06:13 AM.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 09:50 PM   #2
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
The transition from Gollum himself being called Precious, to the Precious being called Precious was apparently a transition made when Tolkien rewrote the hobbit to the true version of Bilbo's story.
I have with me an unedited copy of "Riddles in the Dark", and after "bless us and splash us!" follows this:

Quote:
"We haven't the present we promised, and we haven't even got it for ourselves."
No mention of Gollum chasing after Bilbo. Instead, Bilbo gets him to lead him outside as consolation.
This change in writings was probably brought about to make the transition from Gollum/Precious to Ring/Precious more credible.

Quote:
Does Gollum associate himself with the Ring in some strange way, to the point that in his mind they are really the same thing?
I would say so. He'd had it so long, and used it so often that he probably couldn't differentiate himself from it at all. Then when he lost it, who knows what went on in his head? It was like losing part of himself, he probably thought it was the better half.
And then those nasty hobbits wouldn't let him have himself back. Like they stole his soul, or something.

Quote:
"Poor, poor Smeagol, he went away long ago. They took his Precious, and he's lost now."
"Perhaps we'll find him again, if you come with us," said Frodo.
"No, no, never! He's lost his Precious," said Gollum.
Poor Smeagol indeed.
(I hope this hasn't been too rambled...my brain's a little rusty... )

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 10:10 AM   #3
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Quote:
Does Gollum associate himself with the Ring in some strange way, to the point that in his mind they are really the same thing?
The personality of Gollum seemed to be wholy based on the possession of the Ring. So, as Oddwen pointed out with the quote, with the loss of the Ring came something of a loss of self. The Gollum personality didn't have anything to attach to and so it was "lost", so to speak.

Smeagol, on the other hand, was the initial personality, and so wasn't "lost". So came the Smeagol/Gollum arguments. The Smeagol personality was able to voice his opinion (heh) because of the "loss" of strength in the Gollum personality. Unless I'm much mistaken, Gollum and Smeagol didn't argue much (or at all) in The Hobbit, when the Ring was surmised to be safe in his/their hut.

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~
Old 11-22-2004, 05:05 PM   #4
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Interesting comments on Gollum/Ring vs. Smeagol. So if the Gollum side associates himself with the Ring, how does the Smeagol side see it? Looking back at the arguments his two sides have with each other, the Gollum side is always for taking back the Ring, while the Smeagol side stands for holding up to his promise and not harming Frodo. This may be because while the Gollum side feels he is lost, the Smeagol side is now free, from the Ring if not from Gollum. Gollum is certainly one of the most complex characters.

So, in light of these opinions, which side of Gollum's personality is making the promise to serve the master of the Precious? Or is it both? Would his motives be different depending on which side it is? My guess is, it is the Smeagol side that is promising to be good, and the Gollum side goes along with it to get the rope off, not intending to keep the promise. The Gollum side would be the one that wanted to swear on the Precious rather than by it, as a way of trying to achieve possession of his Precious and in turn the part of his soul that he has 'lost.'
Old 11-22-2004, 10:32 PM   #5
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Here we get a little bit more into the "He hates and loves the Ring, as he hates and loves himself" bit.

I can almost see Gollum as the Ring come to flesh. He's devious, manipulative, and very cunning, while Smeagol is almost childish and naive.
Smeagol hates the Ring and Gollum because they almost "make" him do what he didn't/doesn't want to do. Maybe he's too childish to realize that it's his choice too, but giving in has become an age-old habit.
While Gollum hates Smeagol for holding him back.

Quote:
And when a chance came it caught...Gollum, and it had devoured him. It could make no further use of him: he was too small and mean; and as long as it stayed with him he would never leave his deep pool again.
But then Gandalf says that Sauron sent forth his will, and the Ring "abandoned Gollum".
Is Gandalf referring to Gollum just because Frodo would know him by that name, or is he naming the evil half?

Quote:
which side of Gollum's personality is making the promise to serve the master of the Precious?
I would say that both of them did it, Smeegs because he was frightened of Frodo and the Ring, and because Gollum could see a loophole in that promise.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 10:23 AM   #6
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Gollum spoke like that because he was a severely muddled individual.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:43 AM   #7
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Quote:
Gollum spoke like that because he was a severely muddled individual.
That's why he's so interesting. However, I don't think that this is the only reason Gollum spoke like that. Gollum certainly isn't stupid - in fact he is quite clever - and he has a fairly strong understanding of what the Ring is (at the time of LotR, anyhow) and its larger implications on himself, Frodo, and Sauron. At the time of the Hobbit, you might make the argument that he was simply severely muddled. The Ring was simply his precious and his birthday present, and a useful tool for going about invisibly, and he had been driven nearly insane by his solitude. Even then, though, he had intelligence and wiliness, so I do not think the term 'precious' was simply one he had picked up in his mad ravings. It meant something to him. There were very few things that mattered to Gollum: his precious self, his precious Ring, and fisssh. As he grew more attached to the Ring, he became more like it, associating himself with it, and thereby giving himself and it the same name.

So I do not think you can say Gollum's speech patterns came only from his muddled-ness (though, I grant that it was a large factor), which was a direct result of his possession of the Ring. It is more complex than that.

Gollum/Smeagol Re: It occurred to me that the contexts in which the two personalities use the term "precious" are very different. Gollum uses it referring to himself and having lost it - very selfish terms, focused only on himself. Smeagol solely uses the precious to refer to the Ring, and in these cases it is capitolized. It is then simply another name for the Ring, which though it grew from Gollum's usage of the word, it has very separate connotations indeed.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:32 AM   #8
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

I am not convinced that it is more complex than that. I don't think Gollum put too much thought into how to properly use the word precious. He just bandied it about rather carelessly, which is precisely the kind of thing that you do if you're having quite tremendous personal and psychological problems as Gollum clearly was.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:53 AM   #9
ninlaith
Wight

ninlaith has just left Hobbiton.
Ok here's what I think...even if it is a little mixed up. Isildur called the ring precious. Or it was precious truly more like it. I think when Gollum acquired the ring the essence of Isildur sort of stuck to the ring and Gollum started calling the ring his precious. Then as the ring started to consume his mind, the precious started consuming him and becoming a part of him. The part of him that he called my precious when he was talking to himself. If you remeber Smeagol used pet names while he was still a Hobbit. Give that to us Deagol my love. So i guess Gollum just really likes pet names. I don't really know. That's just always been the way I've percieved it.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:19 PM   #10
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
It didn't have anything to do with Isildur.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:34 AM   #11
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Ah, the return of the scarily short responses. o.O Way to go, Eomer and burra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
I don't think Gollum put too much thought into how to properly use the word precious. He just bandied it about rather carelessly, which is precisely the kind of thing that you do if you're having quite tremendous personal and psychological problems as Gollum clearly was.
That's a very good point. I think it could have become just something he said, with little significance behind it. It could be rather like some people will habitually say "I love you" when terminating a phone call with someone close to them. It becomes a habit; so whether they consciously decide to say it or not, it still comes out.

I do think there may be a difference between "precious" and "The Precious", however. The Precious does seem to be in reference to the Ring. "precious", uncapitalized, seems to just be the habitual term Gollum/Smeagol uses when talking to others or himself. Perhaps it's like an "affectionate" (heh) moniker, such as "dear" or something to that effect. And, as I stated above, Gollum's use of it could be purely subconscious.

~ Saphy ~