The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-18-2006, 05:47 PM   #1
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Anatomy of an Ent

I am wondering and I'm not sure why I am, What you all think of the anatomical features of an ent, is he more treeish than man or a bit more manish than tree or equal for both part not we can discuss the outer looks without too much trouble bt what about the inner workings of an ent does an ent use photo syntheis and exist of that and water or entdraught is entdraught an essential vitamin/nutrient base? Can an ent use its feet as roots or does it drink with it mouth?

anyone?

this might belong in mirth or novices but i think its here
Old 04-18-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
AragornII
Wight

AragornII has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree Good question, never really thought about it

My guess would be that they are more "treeish" than man. I picture something more "manish" than tree to be, say, a guy with leaves for hair. It would have a human shape but still have some tree-like characteristics. Ents are trees with human characteristics. Also, since they are more tree-like than man, they would probably use tree things like photosynthesis and stuff like that.
The crownless again shall be king.
AragornII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:26 PM   #3
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The 1,000 Reader is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
1. Tree

2. Magic

3.More magic

4. Moss
"And forth went Morgoth, and he was halted by the elves. Then went Sauron, who was stopped by a dog and then aged men. Finally, there came the Witch-King, who destroyed Arnor, but nobody seems to remember that."

-A History of Villains
The 1,000 Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:22 PM   #4
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
OK so this thread died quickly but I didn't get much of an answer that interested me SO I'll bring it back from the after-after life (cue creepy bluish light) ah-aa-ahhh(choir sounds)
Old 06-10-2009, 01:33 AM   #5
FeRaL sHaDoW
Wight

FeRaL sHaDoW has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to FeRaL sHaDoW
Hehehe I was just looking through the do ents lay eggs page (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=13206)
So I thought I might drop in here.
I always had the picture in my head of an ent being a tree with a general human shape to it. Give or take some Arms or legs and maybe a few other branch limbs but still in a human shape. I think the Treebeard from the movies fitted with the rough idea I had in my head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ent.jpg (41.3 KB, 411 views)
Old 06-10-2009, 02:55 AM   #6
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Since we get the information that they look at least more or less man-like in shape, I think they have not enough leafs left to them for a photosynthesis being their only energie source. Anyway, when I have my biologics right moving around does consume much more energie then just standing routed and develop a brench here and a fiew new leafs their. Which means photosynthesis can not such being as the Ents are.

Thus we are left with the Ent-drought. It seems that it has to be a high potential feeding, since the Ents did not drink it too often.

If I may speculate farther I would say that the inner mechanisems were more tree-like. Thus the drought didn't need any farther reformation it was direct nutriation for the cells. The transport mechanisem would be tree like, meaning capilar forces in combination with vapourisation of water at the leafs and probably any other surface. Since in the legs much energie would be consumed the feet/roots would have to work both ways: taking up water for the rest of the body during times like Fangorn standing under his waterfall and feeding water to the ground while walking to enable the transport of the energie. By drinking the high potential Ent-drought was then brought to some kind of inner resevior from which it could be distributed at need.
We do not have any idea how the Ent-drought was produced, but I would think that plants, probably trees, were used by the Ents to produce it. (Like man herding catle to have milk or bees to have honey.)
What remains is the questions of movements. But their are plants that do such things. I just don't have any clou how they manage it. But the mechanisem is their, it only must be addapted to the needs of the Ents.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:24 PM   #7
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Findegil
What remains is the questions of movements. But their are plants that do such things. I just don't have any clou how they manage it. But the mechanisem is their, it only must be addapted to the needs of the Ents.
Plants, and I imagine Ents as well, move in a variety of ways. The slow way is called tropism and entails actually growing in the direction of an external stimulus, such as a plant producing cells on the side facing the window so that over time the plant will start to bend in that direction. But despite their fondness for a leisurely pace in life this is not the way in which I imagine Ents move, after all Treebeard can take great strides and cover vast distances very quickly; therefore he is employing the second type of plant movement - nastic movements. Nastic movements act on both internal and external stimuli and include things like the opening and closing of flowers and the crushing violence of the venus flytrap. These feats are achieved by the regulation of water pressure in the plant's cells, more water and the flower petals open, less and they collapse in and the flower shuts.

Treebeard moves at a pace that far outstrips all other plants, but amazing things do happen in nature. Doesn't seem totally impossible. His eyes and brain are another matter entirely though. We can say the Valar implanted some animal DNA in there because plants are never going to develop the high-reasoning skills Treebeard displays unless they start doing some serious evolution in the near future.

As for Ent draught, I imagine it serves as a sort of sugar substitute to replace photosynthesis. And yes, I bet Treebeard uses his roots to drink water whilst he is standing around for the night.

Does this answer any questions? Or have I just gone too science-y for everyone?

Last edited by Laurinquë; 10-25-2009 at 10:26 PM. Reason: my stomata were not opening properly, sorry.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:20 AM   #8
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
. These feats are achieved by the regulation of water pressure in the plant's cells, more water and the flower petals open, less and they collapse in and the flower shuts.
You're basically saying it's through Hydrolics... Hmmm now that is a unique idea. And it makes sense
Old 10-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #9
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
You're basically saying it's through Hydrolics... Hmmm now that is a unique idea. And it makes sense
Well, it's not my personal idea; it's a fact. Though how or if it relates to the movements of Ents is entirely my own speculation. Coming up with reasons why things are they way they are in ME helps me to believe that all of it could be true, which is comforting.

Last edited by Laurinquë; 10-26-2009 at 12:41 PM. Reason: coconuts
Old 10-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #10
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
therefore he is employing the second type of plant movement - nastic movements
"It's making movements, my preciousss... nassty movementss!"
(Sorry, I know this is cheap, but I couldn't resist)
Old 10-26-2009, 08:23 PM   #11
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
As for Ent draught, I imagine it serves as a sort of sugar substitute to replace photosynthesis. And yes, I bet Treebeard uses his roots to drink water whilst he is standing around for the night.
Hm. Would a mere 'sugar substitute' cause two Hobbits who were already fully grown to increase in height? I don't think one can seperate the 'magical' component fully here. And why would Ents have a need to 'replace' photosynthesis? If their life processes were the same as ordinary trees, wouldn't they have the same access to sunlight?
Ents (and Huorns) were tree-like, but I don't see a way to explain them in purely scientific terms.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:08 PM   #12
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Hm. Would a mere 'sugar substitute' cause two Hobbits who were already fully grown to increase in height? I don't think one can seperate the 'magical' component fully here. And why would Ents have a need to 'replace' photosynthesis? If their life processes were the same as ordinary trees, wouldn't they have the same access to sunlight?
Ents (and Huorns) were tree-like, but I don't see a way to explain them in purely scientific terms.
I'm sure there are many other ingredients in Ent draught, but I imagine sugar may be a major component of it. As for photosynthesis, Ents probably don't to do much of it because they have too few leaves. Thus they need the Ent draught to compensate for the lost nutrients.