The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2009, 10:21 PM   #41
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I think another reason Frodo did not marry is because he needed to be away from people. I do not think he would be able to take the sound of children, his own and others in the Shire. He ends up going with the Elves who are very peaceful and quiet people. My point is I think Frodo needed a relaxed quiet life after such an adventure. Bilbo not so much.
Hakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:47 AM   #42
Sardy
Wight

Sardy has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elven-Maiden View Post
probly cuz both Frodo and Bilbo are guys. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Even so... I'd like to think that The Shire would be even more progressive than California
Old 06-03-2009, 06:48 PM   #43
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon View Post
I think another reason Frodo did not marry is because he needed to be away from people. I do not think he would be able to take the sound of children, his own and others in the Shire. He ends up going with the Elves who are very peaceful and quiet people. My point is I think Frodo needed a relaxed quiet life after such an adventure. Bilbo not so much.
I'm not sure. Seems that if he wanted total piece and quiet, he would have asked Sam to live elsewhere. Think that it wasn't only a peaceful environment he sought, but a peace of the soul. For Frodo, so marred by the Ring, his only recourse short of death was Aman. Surely he could have just died, or taken his own life, but he deserved some reward as Frodo's act saved many a people and thing. He gets nothing in the Shire, though the inhabitants should have built a monument to him (as Gondor should have). So, in the end, he gets a boat ride into the West. Not, mayhap, as fitting an end as some of us would have preferred, but with some thought (which it provokes), it makes sense.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:18 AM   #44
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo Baggins View Post
Why didn't Frodo (me) and Bilbo get married. all the other hobbits did.??
One supposes they had had enough with rings of bondage...
Old 06-05-2009, 03:26 PM   #45
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Good idea to revive this thread, Alatar!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
I started thinking about Frodo's life before he left the Shire, and then wondered if he was warm to some Hobbit lass or two, or if this was even on his mind at the time (Sackville-Bagginses married quite young)
I had been contemplating this too, especially after reading some fanfictions...

But I think Frodo was always an exceptional hobbit, already long before the quest (probably through all that he had been taught by Bilbo). There was always a longing in him for something higher.
Quote:
Frodo went tramping all over the Shire with them; but more often he wandered by himself, and to the amazement of sensible folk he was sometimes seen far from home walking in the hills and woods under the starlight. Merry and Pippin suspected that he visited the Elves at times, as Bilbo had done.
I guess there were just no hobbit lasses around that would have been a match for Frodo, that would have understood him!

And look at this quote:
Quote:
‘I should like to save the Shire, if I could - though there have been times when I thought the inhabitants too stupid and dull for words, and have felt that an earthquake or an invasion of dragons might be good for them.
Well, considering this opinion he could hardly find anyone in the Shire to fall in love with!

On the other hand, when Frodo greets Goldberry, he behaves almost a bit like someone falling in love...
Quote:
‘Fair lady Goldberry!’ said Frodo at last, feeling his heart moved with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange.
And after the quest, he's too estranged and damaged anyway, poor Hobbit!
Old 06-25-2009, 05:49 AM   #46
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nessa Telrunya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Nessa Telrunya
I think, in the case of Bilbo, perhaps he just didn't feel like getting married. That in itself is a lot of responsibility on someone, and maybe before his journey, he was that sort of hobbit. Before Gandalf showed up, he'd been portrayed as an ordinary hobbit, remember how horrified he was that such outlandish folk would be seen around Bag End?But after the journey, he would rather have been writing in his book, and he set Frodo up as his heir, so there was no need for him to marry just to have kids. Frodo, on the other hand, was stuck between being sociable and being with Bilbo. The older hobbit played a huge part in his life, and it wouldn't be surprising if he'd been Frodo's role model. If it hadn't been for him, Frodo would likely have not felt such a taste for adventure, because he would not have seen what good was possible to come of it.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:57 PM   #47
The Mouth of Sauron
Wight

The Mouth of Sauron has just left Hobbiton.
Maybe meeting Lobelia Sackville-Baggins put Bilbo off marriage.
The Mouth of Sauron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:20 PM   #48
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Good one. Although maybe it was meeting Smaug that put Bilbo off of marriage. I mean maybe his happy day dreams of love got mixed with his nightmares of Smaug breathing fire and he began dreaming about a fire breathing wife.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #49
Lastande Took
Animated Skeleton

Lastande Took has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I accept the 'old bachelor' idea about Bilbo. He's the kind of person (or Hobbit) who's considered a little odd, but he accepts it with a shrug, minds his own business, and hangs out with his cousins rather than a wife.

Frodo was strongly influenced by Bilbo, so his bacherlorhood likely started there. In addition, he seemed a bit more introverted than the other Hobbits, and there's the strong possibility he simply wasn't interested in marriage. That's how I'm wired - I'm just not interested. Maybe I'll meet someone in the future, but I'll let that take care of itself. For now, a boyfriend would serve no purpose.