The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-29-2007, 07:30 AM   #1
Sardy
Wight

Sardy has just left Hobbiton.
"Mr. Baggins" - The Hobbit Reinterpreted...

"Mr. Baggins", a.k.a. "The History of The Hobbit" is now available for pre-order from Amazon.com. See here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/026..._email_title_1

At a hundred dollars and nearly a thousand pages, there's little other information abut the hardcover. No description, no artwork has yet been made available (at least as of my writing this).

From what I gather (and will stand corrected if wrong) this is to be a collection of Tolkien's work from late in his life re-working the Hobbit to bring it more "in tune" with LotR and M-e in general.

I thought I would start a thread for anticipation and discussion of this book...
Old 05-29-2007, 08:07 AM   #2
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well, volume 1 http://www.amazon.co.uk/History-Hobb...0447367&sr=8-1 came out at the beginning of this month over here & I just finished it yesterday. Vol 2 http://www.amazon.co.uk/History-Hobb...0447367&sr=8-2 was supposed to be out next Tuesday, but according to Rateliff's blog he only just completed the Index on Sunday & he's been given a pubilcation date of the 18th of this month.

TI suspect that the edition you link to is the slipcased set of both volumes & the 70th anniversary hardback of TH.

The first volume is interesting (actually the bulk of vols 1&2 is the original manuscript/typescript of TH, but vol 2 will contain the attempted re-write in the style of LotR which Tolkien began in the early sixties).
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:19 AM   #3
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Hi Davem, I bought Mr Baggins in Stratford about ten days ago. It is well worth reading, as it goes beyond just the history of The Hobbit, I enjoyed the part about the names of the dwarves ie:-Throw-in (Thorin) and also how Tolkien originally had Bilbo killing the dragon, there's lots of little bits of info that adds to our understanding.

His website will be www.JohnDRateliff.homestead.com I believe though there isn't anything on it at the moment.

Last edited by narfforc; 05-29-2007 at 10:23 AM.
narfforc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:30 AM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I ordered the first volume via internet, since that's the least complicated way for me to get English books here, and it arrived last week. I look forward to reading it, though I'm not sure when that will be...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 01:34 PM   #5
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I am part way through Mr Baggins and am enjoying it so far - more than I expected since I find the Hobbit hard to read as an adult. I didn't pay that much for it since I got it discounted with the Children of Hurin. Gandalf being Bladorthin is nowhere near as odd as the Trotter / strider thing

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:07 PM   #6
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Rateliff's Blog entries on History of the Hobbit

http://sacnoths.blogspot.com/2007/05/book-arrives.html

http://sacnoths.blogspot.com/2007/05/fifteen-years.html
Old 06-06-2007, 12:02 AM   #7
davem
Illustrious Ulair

More from Rateliff's blog - Errata he's picked up on http://sacnoths.blogspot.com/2007/06/errata.html