Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-26-2007, 04:06 PM   #1681
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Let this suffice as a cross-RPGs post...

I kind of had the wind knocked out of my sails with regards to life last weekend, breaking my left leg. I only got out of the hospital yesterday, and I haven't found a comfortable way to sit at the computer, in addition to which I'm very unambitious-feeling and lacking in creative stamina. Perforce, I shall not likely be contributing to much of anything in the near future. Keep me in your prayers.

~Michael A. Joosten~
Old 04-26-2007, 04:27 PM   #1682
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Oh Form that's not fun at all! Hope it gets less uncomfortable soon for you and heals nice and fast.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:36 PM   #1683
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Formy's Cast

I hereby invite all of us to scrawl our monikers on this, Formy's Virtual Cast:

Elllllemmmmmmpiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Old 04-26-2007, 07:50 PM   #1684
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Note: This post's info is now edited to add 5 minutes to the time it takes Garmund and Cnebba to get from the farm to the ruins = 15 minutes, not 10.

Okay, I want to "synchronize our watches", so to speak. Here's how I am seeing where everybody is at various arbitrary times:

1pm Eodwine, Rilef and Falco are surprised in the ruins by outlaws; Falco, after briefly defending himself and slipping from grasps, escapes

1:05 Falco is seen riding back to EMH by Garmund and Cnebba; Eodwine breaks free and hides in the brush; Rilef breaks free and lumbers after Eodwine

1:10 Falco brings word to the EMH; Garmund and Cnebba are 1/3 of the way to the ruins; Eodwine hides; Rilef is caught

1:15 word has spread and the horses are being readied; Falco sits in the kitchen whilst all others run hither and thither; Garmund and Cnebba are 2/3 of the way to the ruins

1:20 Garmund and Cnebba arrive at the ruins; & C see Rilef manhandled into the tower; Eodwine's conscience pricks him and he goes back to the tower to help Rilef s; Falco and Thornden argue

1:25 Thornden and the EMH folk are off to the ruin; Falco convinces Javan to go with him to Meduseld; Garmund and Cnebba see Rilef manhandled into the tower

1:30 Falco brings word to Meduseld; Thornden and EMH folk half way to ruin; Garmund & Cnebba are confronted by the bandit; Eodwine tackles and beats the bandit senseless

1:35 Æðelhild hears about the situation; Thornden and company arrive at the ruins; Falco and Javan head back to EMH; Eodwine, Garmund and Cnebba find Rilef injured in the tower ruin and take him out; they are seen.

1:40 Æðelhild begs Hrethel to let her go; Thornden and company are attacked by the outlaws; Falco and Javan bypass EMH; Rilef is recaptured; Eodwine, Garmunc and Cnebba are chased through the woods.

EDIT: There; I like that a little better. Eodwine, Garmund and Cnebba have just about 10 minutes worth of action to take care of, and we're back on track. Sound good?

Former post: So we have a timing problem..... if Garmund and Cnebba move when this scenario shows. If G & C wait a little longer, say 5, 10, or 15 minutes longer, a little bit of our problem disappears. Anybody else want to weigh in on this?

In addition, I'm going to write my next post such that Eodwine, Garmund and Cnebba find Rilef unconscious and wounded, and they have to struggle him out of the tower and into the bracken; but they will be spotted, forced to make a dire choice.... but not tonight; I want to get some feedback on this timeline first.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 04-30-2007 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:11 PM   #1685
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Form, I'm so sorry to hear that you broke your leg. That must be terrible. If you don't mind the asking, how'd you manage it?

--

Elempi,

That time line probably makes sense, but that means that we in the rescue party are way early...Shall I hold off a bit until you and Nogrod and Celuien catch up?

-- Folwren
Old 04-27-2007, 09:46 AM   #1686
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'm not convinced the timeline's right. It assumes that Garmund and Cnebba could run all the way from the farm to the ruins in only ten minutes. We decided that the ruins were a rough mile outside of Edoras, and that the sheep farm was halfway between the EMH and the outskirsts of Edoras, which would make it, by a rough guess, an 1/8 mile from the end of town, at the most. So could kids age 7-10 run 1 1/8 miles in 10 minutes. Well, no. They may be fast, but they haven't built up that kind of endurance usually. So I think it would make better sense to add on 5 minutes, at the least, maybe 10. Thoughts?
Old 04-27-2007, 10:53 AM   #1687
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
I'm not convinced the timeline's right. It assumes that Garmund and Cnebba could run all the way from the farm to the ruins in only ten minutes. We decided that the ruins were a rough mile outside of Edoras, and that the sheep farm was halfway between the EMH and the outskirsts of Edoras, which would make it, by a rough guess, an 1/8 mile from the end of town, at the most. So could kids age 7-10 run 1 1/8 miles in 10 minutes. Well, no. They may be fast, but they haven't built up that kind of endurance usually. So I think it would make better sense to add on 5 minutes, at the least, maybe 10. Thoughts?
Adding the extra 5-10 minutes makes sense. Actually, it would probably take me about 10-15 minutes to run a mile now - I really need to use the elevators less.

I should be able to post again tomorrow. If anyone has something to post before I'm back, please go ahead.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:13 PM   #1688
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Wow! Eodwine has a real problem on his hands, and I'm not quite comfortable with any particular way of resolving it. Namely, he has to get the two boys to safety and leave Rilef to an uncertain fate, which could run from merely being imprisoned, to well, killed. How to explain this to such impressionable lads while running for one's life (or there's)? I'll see what I can do. Brrrrrrr!
Old 04-30-2007, 07:44 AM   #1689
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well, when can we others step in and lend a hand? Please let us know.

-- Folwren
Old 04-30-2007, 08:53 AM   #1690
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Now.

We're all caught up.

I'm sorry to have stopped you all. I shoiuldn't have. I could have written a few extra minutes into a post.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 04-30-2007 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:15 PM   #1691
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Looking brave and tricky indeed. Good!

I think you Cel might continue with the Garstan / Stigend part. I might try to write for Garmund / Cnebba in turn then.

I may have too much to do tomorrow (May 1st) but the next day might be fine.

Surely if you have any ideas go forwards with the kids as well.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:46 AM   #1692
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

k...I'm about to complete my post. I don't know how realistic it is. I didn't want any good people killed.

Elempi, tell me if what I've written is alright.

Edit: What should I do this outlaw?? I don't really want to kill him - I really dislike having anyone killed.... Any suggestions or ideas?

-- Folwren

Last edited by Folwren; 05-01-2007 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:57 PM   #1693
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quite simple, really, Foley: what would your character do in this particular situation? What does the plot demand?
Old 05-02-2007, 08:57 AM   #1694
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I (and Thornden, too) would like to see him tied up and bundled into the tower where they keep trying to put poor Rilef, but we don't have any rope.

However, I just realized that unless his wound gets bandaged, he's not going to be able to crawl far or do much damage anyway....

-- Folwren
Old 05-02-2007, 01:02 PM   #1695
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Well there you go.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:03 PM   #1696
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

So someone else can post now.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #1697
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I did. I had no idea young Garmund had it in him. Hope my liberties with the two boys is not out of hand.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:10 PM   #1698
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Some of you may be rather shocked that Eodwine killed the two outlaws in cold blood. Here's my rationale. Eodwine is the Eorl of the Middle Emnet. He is the judge of all crimes in the realm he governs. He observed for himself that these two intended to do great bodily harm to the two boys, and either enslave or murder them, maybe both in turn. Such crimes are punishable by death.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:46 AM   #1699
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Yes, I understand, though, yes, I was (at first) shocked, but that's just because it's so ... hard. They were going to be hung anyway, if he had actually had enough men to capture them and take them home...or do they execute such criminals in some different manner?

Anyway, they were knocked out, I presume? Almost? Oh well.

It was a good post, though.

-- Folwren
Old 05-04-2007, 04:44 PM   #1700
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I have a hunch that a few writers will probably post tonight, but I still have more to do with Eodwine. Problem is, now he has two boys to figure out what to do with and they don't figure well into my plans for plot twists with Eodwine. And they're not my characters, I hate to get too freewheeling with them and do something their writers might protest (as if I haven't already (!) with a twisted ankle and biting!

So I guess I'll wait until late tonight before writing, unless I hear otherwise from Nogrod or Stigend (or someone else writes for another character).
Old 05-04-2007, 04:49 PM   #1701
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Question

One quick question, Do any of the resue party have any visable emblem or insigna that links them to the Eorl?
Old 05-04-2007, 06:22 PM   #1702
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerindel
One quick question, Do any of the resue party have any visable emblem or insigna that links them to the Eorl?
Besides looking respectable and halfway presentable, probably not... I don't think Thornden would, anyway. Others may speak for their own characters if they think differently.

-- Folwren
Old 05-04-2007, 08:28 PM   #1703
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerindel
From an interview between King Eomer and the Eorl:
Quote:
"And well placed. Now tell me before you go, what is your ensign to be?"

"It is to bear a white horse, a white lyre, and a white alder tree on a green field, the horse to upper left, the lyre to upper right, and the alder tree beneath."
This occurred on May 22. The current date of the rpg is May 24 (I think), so nothing has happened yet. Eodwine keeps getting distracted from finding a craftsman or woman who can devise this for him.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:10 PM   #1704
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Thumbs up

Quote:
"And well placed. Now tell me before you go, what is your ensign to be?"

"It is to bear a white horse, a white lyre, and a white alder tree on a green field, the horse to upper left, the lyre to upper right, and the alder tree beneath."
cool, that may be useful sometime later.

Folwren, Sorry this post leaves you no interaction with this new character but it is more to put him in the minds of the writers and readers than the actual characters, though they will get their chance please let me know if I have anything wrong with Thorden's attributes.

Ps. to everyone who posted on the b'day site thanks! I had a good one, hence the lateness of this post.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:35 PM   #1705
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Nay, you are quite fine with your latest post, and I thank you for not killing my character with a dart.

However, I'm dreadfully curious as to why he did that. Is he blackmailing Thornden for some strange reason? I guess we'll find out. But, my goodness, how confused my poor, serious young man shall be.

I'll post tomorrow at work. I don't think I've got time tonight.

-- Folwren
Old 05-08-2007, 03:02 PM   #1706
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Oh, Elempi, how could you?

I posted an extremely short post. I hope it's to your satisfaction. I want to talk them into living, but I don't know how. This has made me cry. I like those two very much.

You told my sister you had too many characters, I had no idea you were going to try to fix that problem...

-- Folwren
Old 05-09-2007, 09:49 AM   #1707
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'll make you a deal. If you can come up with a believable way of saving their lives, then you can take them over and consider them your own characters.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:56 AM   #1708
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

No thanks. I'd be quite poor at writing them - we'd all be disappointed - and I can't think of a way to save them. I was just mourning over them. I'll be quiet now.

-- Folwren
Old 05-10-2007, 02:59 AM   #1709
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I must say I immediately thought of Nerindel's healer character when I read Lefun and Ritun were very seriously wonded/ dying...
Old 05-10-2007, 07:38 AM   #1710
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
I must say I immediately thought of Nerindel's healer character when I read Lefun and Ritun were very seriously wounded/ dying...
I did, too, but what can she do? What did they do while trying to separate them? Sever them down the middle? What organs were there? What blood vessels? Could she save them?

-- Folwren
Old 05-10-2007, 09:44 AM   #1711
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

shared organs ruptured. No, it would take Gandalf.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:53 AM   #1712
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
shared organs ruptured. No, it would take Gandalf.
Yeah, I guessed something along those lines. Gandalf wasn't a healer. That would be Aragorn....or Elrond, even.

-- Folwren
Old 05-12-2007, 07:04 PM   #1713
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Outlaw Battle Stats

Just so everyone feels a little more like they know what's going on (I need it too!):

12 outlaws to start with ..... plus Rowenna and 5 dogs.

EMH folks: Eodwine, Ritun & Lefun, Garmund, Cnebba, Thornden, Stigend, Leof, Garstan, Garreth, and Harreld (7 men, 1 non-fighter (Rilef) & 2 boys).

post 757: Thornden stabs 1 through the heart = 11 outlaws

post 758: Eodwine knocks 1 outlaw unconscious = 11 outlaws (1 unconscious)

post 759: Stigend spears 1 clean through = 10 outlaws (1 unc)

post 760: 2 outlaws chase Eodwine & the boys, 2 recapture Rilef = 10 outlaws (1 unc)

post 764: Thornden attacks outlaws holding Rilef: cuts a hand off 1 outlaw & kills the other = 9 outlaws (1 unc, 1 wounded)

post 765: Eodwine slits the throats of 2 outlaws chasing Garmund & Cnebba = 7 outlaws (1 unc, 1 w)

post 769: "Cedric" kills the wounded bandit and leaves = 5 outlaws (1 unc) + "Cedric".

I'd like to have it such that at least 2 are killed, and 2 surrender (make sure it equals 5), and the unconscious one wakes up to find himself captured (Foley gets to write him); the leader is one of those who surrender. Anybody want to write posts to kill or capture the remainder?
Old 05-12-2007, 07:22 PM   #1714
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elempi
I'd like to have it such that at least 2 are killed, and 2 surrender (make sure it equals 5), and the unconscious one wakes up to find himself captured (Foley gets to write him); the leader is one of those who surrender. Anybody want to write posts to kill or capture the remainder?
Oh, fun! That's my original chap, isn't it? I'll do that either today or tomorrow...I am already due for a post, though, to reply to Firefoot's post.

Elempi, isn't Eodwine with Rowena and the two boys going to come to where Thornden, Leof, and Rilef are soon? We were who you heard in your last post, weren't we? (We being our characters...)

---

Edit - I just posted, and I posted with the assumption that it was Eodwine running towards them. If not, let me know, so Firefoot and I can write our next post accordingly and make it be...someone else.

-- Folwren

Last edited by Folwren; 05-12-2007 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:43 PM   #1715
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
Oh, fun! That's my original chap, isn't it?
Yup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley
Elempi, isn't Eodwine with Rowena (sic) and the two boys going to come to where Thornden, Leof, and Rilef are soon? We were who you heard in your last post, weren't we? (We being our characters...)
Getting our identities confused, are we? It's Eodwine coming, not the boys. Yes, Thornden and Leof are who Eodwine heard.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:06 PM   #1716
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I have a plan regarding the capture of the leader and his closest henchman, having to do with them finding Rowenna and the 5 dogs free, along with the 2 boys. So allow me to set that one up. By then everybody from the EMH will be together.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:14 PM   #1717
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I'm going to a "working-holiday" in Turkey on Wednesday for a week (and have some pretty hectic days before it) and I don't know what kind of internet accesses they have there in Antalya. I'll try to hang on if possible and post somethnig but can't promise it.

I try to hold on with you and make my contributions but can't promise anything for a week...

EDIT: I just now saw that things had changed. Good! I try to see if I have a time to snatch for continuing from where the story is right now... there surely seems to bea lot of interesting possibilitiers open right now...

Last edited by Nogrod; 05-13-2007 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:07 PM   #1718
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Yup.
Getting our identities confused, are we? It's Eodwine coming, not the boys. Yes, Thornden and Leof are who Eodwine heard.
Oh. Yes. I meant what was right.

Elempi, I don't think Thornden would leave Rilef alone. Unless they died while he and Leof were tying up the captive. But I'm not jumping to that assumption without you writing it. It's against the rules.

I also don't think that he would send Leof off by himself with the prisoner. So...could you possibly change your post and have Eodwine and the rest bring everyone back to the clearing to where Thornden and Leof would be waiting with their prisoner and Rilef?

Or, perhaps don't do that, since Celuien has already written a post asking where Rilef is... I don't know. Whatever you do, Celuien's going to have to edit her post, too. But I honestly don't think Thornden would leave Rilef like that, and he would send Leof alone with a man.

-- Folwren
Old 05-14-2007, 08:57 AM   #1719
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Good point, Foley. I had thought about Rilef after writing that post, but other business pressed. I'll change my post and Celuien will need to changer hers. Give me till the end of the day, please.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:01 AM   #1720
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Good point, Foley. I had thought about Rilef after writing that post, but other business pressed. I'll change my post and Celuien will need to changer hers. Give me till the end of the day, please.
Of course. Take as long as you need. And thanks.

-- Folwren