Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-08-2003, 06:12 AM   #681
Holfast Willow from Greenfields

Sting

A tall, slim person is suddenly seen in the door. He is cloaked so that no one can see who he is. It appears that he is looking around the inn, as if he is looking for someone, and enters. He removes the hood from his face, and reveals that he is an elf. "Greetings" he said. He looks around once more, bows to the elven maids and sits down by a table.

"There are many travelers in these days. I joined up with a few wanderers who were going to Rohan. They spoke of great deeds to be done and many songs to be heard and tales to be told."

Old 01-08-2003, 08:51 AM   #682
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Cami hid the look of amusement on her face as she watched Esmerelda scoop up her sister and unceremoniously haul her out of the Inn. All that just to get a tub of dishes washed! Cami tried not to giggle too loudly or too long, but it was difficult to resist.

Right now, laughing was not the easiest or wisest thing for her to do. The healer had warned her sternly about that. She tried to hold her sides, but to no avail. The wracking pain came on suddenly, as she berated herself for being careless. Still, things were improved from a day or two ago when she'd had to content herself with sitting by the fire and twiddling her thumbs.

At least she could take orders now, even if she couldn't yet carry trays or platters to the tables. And there was certainly nothing wrong with her eyes or ears. She saw the tall fellow standing in the doorway who went down and sat near the hearth fire. His cloak hid his body and face so well that it was impossible to say if he was Man or Elf.

So many mysterious strangers passing through the Inn. She stood up and approached him at the table, "How can I help you? Cami Goodchild at your service, assistant Innkeeper. Would you care for a bite to eat or drink?"

She hesitated a minute and then went on, "If you're heading towards Rohan, then I warrant you're from west of here. Perhaps from Tower Hills or somewhere in Lindon?" She wondered if he would reply.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:15 AM   #683
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Elanor wished she could be more helpful to Miss Pio and Cami, but at the moment, it seemed that they were distracted enough without her asking what she could do.

So, the hobbit set herself to clearing up the dirty dishes folk had left behind and bringing them into the kitchen to be washed, listening to the conversations going on around her carefully.

Usually, Elanor would be asking questions to no end, but this was a still unfamiliar place full of unfamiliar people, and she felt that it was wisest to tread carefully, which to her meant keeping her tongue in check.

[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: Merri ]
Old 01-08-2003, 09:21 AM   #684
Carrūn
Wight

Carrūn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
"Bebberyn, I wish for you to meet this man, a traveller by the name of Awyrgan."
The man Bebberyn noticed the weathered man in the corner for the first time. Awyrgan touched his forehead in greeting towards the surprised looking man.

Quote:
"Perhaps we have met before?"
"Perhaps. A traveller's road is long and faces are many," he responded apollogetically. He knows my face but not my name. I have ridden next to him before. No matter; I am Awyrgan to all who know me now. The man from the South conversed for some time with Umbria and then bowed and left the Inn. Umbria remained standing by the window in silence.

A bringer of ill news no doubt. Awyrgan suddenly remembered he had not slept in several days and drawing his cloak about him fell into a light sleep; resting but still taking in the surroundings and events going on around him. He never truely slept, but it kept him alive.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:00 AM   #685
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

Aroused by the sudden upproar, Bali stood from his seat, looking for the cause of the noise. When he found none, the dwarf turned back and sat down in his seat.

I wonder where that Dona is with my ale, he wondered. There were a few things I had in mind to ask her.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:19 AM   #686
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Durmįn still couldn't figure out who had been talking about Dol Amroth and he didn't really care anymore. "After all, my true quest is now elsewhere", he said to himself.
He hadn't even noticed the guardian enter, for he was looking at the opposite direction. If he had, he wouldn't have been so at ease.

He felt refreshed now, having slept some 5 hours, and started observing the other visitors with growing interest. There were many men and elves, but above all he was fascinated by the hobbits. He had never seen one in his life before!

"Surely these must be halflings", he thought, trying to remember some old stories about them, but he couldn't recall many.
"Maybe I should go and talk to one of them?", he thought. "After all, I might never come this north again! But first I have to get something to eat!"

Durmįn looked around him, hesitating. He hadn't paid much attention to anyone yesterday. Who was in charge of this place?
He remembered suddenly the elven woman who had invited him to dance yesterday. "Pio" he thought he had heard them call her.

Where could he find her? Surely she would know...
Old 01-08-2003, 01:12 PM   #687
Eruantalon
Wight

Eruantalon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruantalon
Sting

Entering the inn he saw some new faces in the inn that wheren't there the night before.
So he made his way to the tabel where Cami was sitting and asked"Cami is there any where I could get a bath and clean up here.I am in a good need of one and want to take the chance while I can."

While he waited for Camis response he noticed a Dwarf in the inn now.He waw bearing a beautifull ax.

"Now when did that Dwarf lord come in Cami. I seem to rconize him from somewhere."His face deep in thought.

"Well like I was saying about that bath Cami."He started in again.

[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: Eruantalon ]
Old 01-08-2003, 01:14 PM   #688
theWhiteLady
Wight

theWhiteLady has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Laurie chatted to Pio about Farmer Maggot for a few minutes, but soon realized that she was only half listening; her mind was elsewhere. Laurie didn't really mind, so she fell silent letting her thoughts wander to and fro. It was nice to just sit down for a little while, especially so near to the warm hearth. Laurie stretched out her feet towards the fire with a low groan and closed her eyes just for a moment, in order to think more clearly.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:15 PM   #689
Nonesuch
Pile O'Bones

Nonesuch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A tall man wearing the dusty livery of the Guard of the White Tower of Gondor enters the Inn. His boots are worn and his face grimy from long riding. Seizing a rag from the bar, he mops his brow, then collapses into a chair at an empty table.

"An ale, please," he asks of a server. "And if you have such a thing, a glass of cordial made from the plant known in the Common Tongue as agave." The barmaid looked blankly at the Man who sighed in disappointment.

When the ale arrived, he drained it in a single long draught. He ordered a second, then looked about. A number of the patrons were staring at him and his uniform. Painfully aware that he still wore the dust of the road as well as his clothes, he swept at his tunic with an open hand to little avail.

A bold young Hobbit approached him. "I am Elanor," she said. "What brings a Man of Gondor so far to the North?"

The Man smiled. "Well met, Elanor," he replied. "I am Hithmir, and I am here on an errand. I am one of the King's messengers and a bear a letter for one who is said to be currently in The Shire..."
Old 01-08-2003, 01:47 PM   #690
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

'Another Man of Gondor!' she thought to herself, noting the new customer who had just come in. She called the server to her.

'What did he order? He looked disappointed at the ale.' The server explained he wanted some strange drink that she couldn't find behind the bar. Pio's brow furrowed at the mention of the name, then her eyes lit up, remembering the dusty, faceted bottle with the silvery, white liquid she had found in the cellar.

A small while later, she approached the Guard's table where Elanor sat speaking with him, bearing a small glass, the dusted bottle, and a dish of sour green fruits, cut in wedges.

'I'm Piosenniel,' she said, introducing herself. 'Or Pio, if you prefer, the Inkeeper here. Welcome to the Green Dragon.' she placed the glass and bottle on the table before him. 'The drink you ordered, I believe. We don't get much call for the Southron spirits.' She put the dish of green wedges down, along with a small dish of finely ground salt. 'Didn't know if you would want these.' She poured him a small glass of the silvery liquid. 'I've seen it drunk many different ways.'

'Now tell me,' she said, watching him swallow the drink at a single gulp. 'what brings you to the Shire?'

She poured him another drink, and waited . . .

[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-08-2003, 02:02 PM   #691
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Ah, yes, a bath. This fellow had wanted a bath. And a good thing too, she thought. From the odors wafting about his clothes, he truly seemed to be in need of one. But then she remembered. There had been no more rooms inside, and he'd ended up in the hayloft for the night. No wonder the poor fellow looked and smelled as if he'd spent considerble time in the stables.

She shook her thoughts aside and quickly responded to him, "Miss Laurie should be able to help you. She's over there resting beside the fire. Part of her job is to turn out the upstairs rooms and keep track of who's coming and going. There may be something better available if you'd like to spend another night, or at least she can lend you to a free washtub, and give you a bit of soap to use in one of the upstairs closets."
Old 01-08-2003, 02:35 PM   #692
Nonesuch
Pile O'Bones

Nonesuch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hithmir blinked in surprise and nearly dropped his glass. "Piosenniel?" he asked. "Did you say Piosenniel?"

"That is my name," said the Elf with a curious smile.

"Why then, it is you I seek!" he cried. He stood, opened his satchel and began rummaging through it. "Now, where is it?" he muttered. "Ah, here. Two parcels for the Lady Piosenniel. Now, please sign here..."

Piosenniel went to the bar and found a quill and an inkwell. Returning to the Man's table, she signed a piece of paper with a flourish. "And here you are," said Hithmir. He handed over a sealed envelope and a small package which jingled promisingly. "Now, I could use a room for the night," he continued. "I may stick around for a bit and seek out some adventure before I return to the South..."
Old 01-08-2003, 03:49 PM   #693
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Her hand shook as she took the letter with the familiar handwriting on it. ‘Please let it be good news from the South.’ she murmured. Pio tucked the letter in her belt, and placed the packet in her breeches pocket.

She asked Elanor to freshen a room for their new guest, asking if she might have the girl take his bags up to the room. ‘He looks fit enough to carry his own bags.’ thought Elanor to herself, but smiled and curtsied, saying nothing.

Pouring one last drink for Hithmir, and wishing him a good stay in the Shire, Pio returned to her seat by the fire. Cami came near, wanting to know, in her ever curious Hobbit way, what Pio had received. ‘Let me read it first.’ said the Elf, and then I will share it with you.’

She shooed the Hobbit off with a smile and a wave of her hand, then took the packet and letter, laying them side by side on the table. Which one to open first, she wondered, running her fingers lightly over each. She chose the packet, and opened it with the small knife from her boot top. Ten gold coins poured out, in to a glittering heap on the table top. ‘Ah! He must have sold the knife.’ She fingered the face of one of the coins, picking out the gull winged helmet that graced the upturned side. ‘A pity he could not have kept it, to pass down to his son. A good businessman, he is, though. And I am sure that if I thought about it clearly I would understand the need for profit which drives the world of Men.’

A few moments lost in thought, and then she opened the letter, running the sharp blade of the knife carefully along the letter’s edge. A single, white piece of parchment, crisply folded, fell to the table as she shook the envelope. Opening it, she read:

~~~~~~~~~~~

Beloved:

I hope this letter finds you well. You are always in my thoughts.

The refit of The Lonely Star proceeds apace, though it may be perhaps three months before it is finished. The barnacles alone took two weeks to remove.

I have sold Elros' dagger to King Elessar. Together with the proceeds of sale from the three ships some time ago (you recall I think) and less the expense of repairs to the Star, I have secured some 600 gold pieces for the partnership. This should keep Bird going for I time, I think.

I am advancing you some of the profits for your ease. But tell me, when will you return to the warmth of Gondor? Surely you do not intend to give birth to the twins so far from me? Of course, if you wish I will join you in the frozen north. You can, of course contact me without writing.

I await your reply and look forward to seeing you soon, for I miss you sorely.

With all my love,

Mithadan

~~~~~~~~~~

A few tears edged her lashes, as she folded the letter and replaced it in the envelope.

Elanor had come to tell her the guest and his bags had gone up stairs. ‘Some sad news, Ms. Pio?’ she asked concerned. Pio turned her face to the girl, smiling, and wiped away the threatened tears.

‘No, not sad at all, Elanor.' Pio's hand rested protectively over the soft swell of her belly. 'I am just missing someone . . . very much, at this moment . . .’

[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-08-2003, 06:04 PM   #694
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

A few curious hobbits tried to sneak up on Miss Pio, slipping adroitly across the tables and standing on a chair to look down and read her letter, but Cami grimly waved her hands and chased them all away. The Elf needed her privacy at such a delicate moment. Moreover, she vowed, no other hobbit was going to get a close look at that missive before she herself did.

Wouldn't Mith be surprised to hear she was visiting the Inn. These Inns had a way of gathering people from many different times and places in one central place. Perhaps it was a bit of Elven magic!

With that thought in mind, and really wanting to see the letter, Cami slipped in closer to Pio, and stood on tiptoe to try to peer over her arm. Alas, she was far too short. Too bad, Bird wasn't here to fly overhead and read off the words to her. She sighed and settled back on her heels, waiting for the Elf to share the letter's contents with her.

[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-08-2003, 06:32 PM   #695
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

He saw Laurie scattering around the main room.So he waves at her to get her attenshion.

"Laurie when you have a moment please come over.I would like to speak to you about finding a tub.Sleeping in the stabel leaves a person in need of one."He said to her as she came near.

"I'll see what I can do."She said a little out of breath.

"No rush when you get a chance is all."He said with a smile.

Now he noticed the dwarfs ax again.The Dwarf was standing infront of the fire.He had glimsed his face earlier but couldn't see it too well.So he started to walk over to him from behind.

"An Ax made with the skill of the Dwarfs of Erebor.A fine one at that I see from here."The Dwarf turning his head to see who was talking.

He was rubbing his hands togther and enjoying the fire when he said."Yes it is ....but oh yes I think I know you sir"

"As well you should."He now saw the dwafs face well in the glow of the fire.

"The nephew of the Dwarf lord would know my face if he saw it."He said with a broad grin putting his hand on the Dwarfs shoulder.

"So you know me to sir.It has been long since I have been to Erebor.How do you know me sir."

"I am Eruantalon good Dwarf.I have helped your Lord many times.Does my face seem more revealed now."

Now the dwarfs look seemed to search him head to toe.Finaly a smile came to him.

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: Eruantalon ]
Old 01-08-2003, 07:03 PM   #696
Sword Maiden Of The Shire
Animated Skeleton

Sword Maiden Of The Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Robin Took wandered along the lonley path bowing her head against the fierce wind. She pulled her green cloak closer around her and looked farther down the road. It was very desolate save for the seldom horse and rider that would come whipping by.

She looked up and saw, faintly in the distance, a small inn, The Green Dragon it said. She suddenley became very aware how hungry she was (being a hobbit). Picking up her pace, Robin made for the inn.

The large wooden door creaked open and she stepped into the warm atmospeare. A fire was burning merrily in the hearth and she pulled back her hood revealing her dark brown hair and startling blue eyes. There were many guests sitting at different tables sipping their mugs and tending to heir busisness.

She stared around the room. There were many Elves, Dwarves, and a few Hobbits as well. She walked up to counter and ordered a bowl of piping hot porrige. She settled down in a soft chair by the fire, her insides warming up after the icy cold wind gnawing at her for the last mile or so...
---------------------------
"That settles it! Short cuts make delays but inns make longer ones!" ~Frodo~

[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: Sword Maiden Of The Shire ]
Old 01-08-2003, 07:11 PM   #697
Pipperin
Animated Skeleton

Pipperin has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Pipperin sat eating and watching as the man from Gondor had given the innkeeper a letter and a parcel. Pio(she thought her name was) opened the letter and read it over as tears began to roll down her soft cheeks.

She tryed to look at the letter but another hobbit ,sitting by the fire, had looked at her sternly so she sat back in her seat.

Pipperin looked around for the Elanor lass, not wanting to disturb Pio. When she saw Elanor by a table in the corner, she got up and walked towards her.

She looked back at Pio, hoping it wasn't bad news, but because she was so preoccupied she did not notice the chair infront of her. She walked right into the chair and fell to the floor in a heap.

Many people laughed as she pushed herself back onto her feet, wiping the dirt of her dress. She nodded to them, slightly embarressed, and walked over to Elanor, who could not hold back some giggles.

"Is there anyway I could have a bath?" she asked, "And maybe a room, just for today?"

[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: Pipperin ]
Old 01-08-2003, 07:32 PM   #698
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rie shook her head in amusement. What a spirit! This Don, she was altogether too much like Rie for anybody's good. She watched Don carefully as the girl went though all of the familiar arguments. She almost laughed aloud as she trotted out the old "lady" argument. She didn't know about Nuru or Dona, but she certainly wasn't a lady.

Rie sidled over to Nuru. "A runaway, do you suppose?" she whispered.

"I don't think so," Nuru whispered back. "She told me that she didn't have any parents."

Rie frowned. "A runaway would've been easier.

"Well, nithil-Avalź," Rie said, purposefully neglecting to translate so that Don could mull over the meaning, "you say you don't have any parents?"

"That's what I said," Don replied, eyeing Rie warily. The redhead gazed right back at her.

"I'm guessing that you want sympathy for that?" Rie continued.

"No!" Don shouted, a little hastily.

"Sure you do," said Rie. "That's surely why I tell everybody that I'm a runaway."

"A runaway?" asked Don, sounding a little curious.

"Aye, a runaway. Ran right from my father's house all the way here and never looked back. I left my mother, father, and all my brothers." Here Rie exaggerated: she had spent more than one cold night in the wilderness crying and wishing that she'd never left home.

"But my point is, m'lady, you're not the only tough one around here." Rie pulled her best "tough" face (that she had learned from her elder brothers), and waited for Don's response.

[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]
Old 01-08-2003, 09:04 PM   #699
Animated Skeleton

Shield

Robin pushed her bowl away and stared into the fire. She was startled when she heard a loud thump. She looked over and saw a young girl laying on the floor; she wondered if she was okay.

She pushed herself up and walked up to her

"Hello Miss...I am called Robin. If I may ask," she paused "Who are you?"...

--------------------------
"That settles it! Short cuts make delays but inns make longer ones!" ~Frodo~

[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: Sword Maiden Of The Shire ]
Old 01-08-2003, 09:36 PM   #700
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Quote:
"Does my face seem more reaveled now?"
Bali's face broke into a deep grin. Grasping the man's hand in a vice-like squeeze, he shook it vigourously, and patted him enthusiastically on the back.

"My friend! What good fortune I met you here. Many a year has past since I left Erebor to wander, and have had little news from home. How is my father, and Uncle? Has Dwalin learnt to ride yet? If he has, I owe him six silver coins, as I thought him a fool for trying and wagered a bet against him!"

Here Bali stopped for breath, but presently continued. "And finally, how are you, Eruantalon my friend? What business brings you to this side of the world?!"
Old 01-08-2003, 09:46 PM   #701
Carrūn
Wight

Pipe

Unnoticed in the hustle and bustle of the Inn a small sandy-haired boy slipped through the door. Spotting the weathered man asleep in the corner he grinned and crept over to him. He looked around hoping no one was watching him and then gave Awyrgan a swift kick in the shins.

Awyrgan awoke with a start having fallen into a deeper sleep than he intended to, one with troubling dreams and strange signs. His bright eyes flashed a brilliant green in anger but softened slightly when he saw the face of his "assailent." He cursed softly in the languages of Men and Dwarves, nearly throwing in a touch of the Black Speech for good measure but stopped himself. One does not utter words of that tounge lightly in the company of so many elves.

He motioned silently and the boy sat down next to him. He had large green eyes like
the man, but the rest of his complexion was starkly in contrast to that of his companion's. Several of those who noticed the strange sight looked in surprise at the small boy next to the dark shadow of a man. The boy whispered for some time in Awyrgan's ear, then sat in silence next to him as the expression on the man's face varied from angry to thoughtful to focused. Almost as an afterthough he passed a small number of coins to the boy and handed him the remainder of the apple he had been eating. The boy grinned and Awyrgan reluctently handed him his unfinished glass of wine. "Found someone with bigger teeth you little ślfr?" he commented, noticing the ugly looking gash on the boy's forhead. The child grinned wider as Awyrgan held his face still for a moment as he inspected the cut. It was not deep and needed only to be washed out. "Get someone to clean that out before you leave." He had a mind to send the child over to Pio but she seemed to be engrossed in a letter. News of some importance judging the look on her face. Ah, well, let the child find someone on his own.

As the boy got up to leave Awyrgan held on to his arm for a moment longer and pulled him close. "Tell them nothing about me unless you must," he ordered. For a moment their green eyes locked and they stared at eachother in silence. The boy grinned again and for a brief moment the man returned it.

Awyrgan watched the boy walk off looking for no one in particular for some soap and water. Interesting news...so they need another tracker. I should leave for their camp soon. It has been too long since I have been in company with the Rangers. I wonder how old...tsch he's probably dead. His thoughts trailed off into silence and for a time he stared at his boots.

I shall leave tonight when the stars come out, he finally decided. As he returned to his pipe it appeared for those who had not seen it that the conversation between man and boy had never taken place. Good hunting young one, he wished silently.

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: Carrūn ]
Old 01-08-2003, 10:56 PM   #702
Yavanna Kementari
Haunting Spirit

Yavanna Kementari has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Dona felt little butterflies in her stomache. The man in that came in was there to give ill news she just new it. She turned her mind now back to Don,Rie, and Nuru.

Dona held back a chuckle at the conversation Rie was having with Don.The whole 'being a lady' and acting tough was just too much for her. Then as Rie gave her the 'tough look' She noticed 2 hobbit lassies fighting as one walked out the door with another over her shoulder in a sack,she almost burst in to laughter and tears.

" I'll be right back"

Dona ran into the kitchen with her hand over her mouth and when she was out of sight of the ladies she let out a great roll of laughter.

She returned with her composure regained, and a pint of ale in her hand.

" I'm alright now she smiled, and please excuse me Bali needs his drink still.

Nuru and Rie looked at her with laughter and amusement in their eyes. They both had half grims on their faces.

" Alright," they said together.

As Dona walked away Don yelled to her," I know you were laughing at me!"

Dona turned around and looked at the lass and said " I don't laugh at children,I love them!" Having said this she playfully stuck her tongue out at Don, smiled, courtsied and walked away laughing.

She returned to Bali with his ale and while he was gone another man joined him.

" Here ya go han'some," she said with a smile "Sorry about the delay."

She courtsied to the stranger and said, "What may I get you kind Sir?"
Old 01-08-2003, 11:01 PM   #703
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

"Bali my friend Dwalin has yet to learn to ride.But he has cracked to hard helms trying.Still none where as hard as his head.But there is so much new to recount.Call me a fool but I will try to do the task.We where on a deed your uncle had sent us out to.The Festival that was help aferwards you would have had such joy to be there.But have you met mis Pio yet?"

Bali looked a bit uncomfortabel at the tohught of meet the Teleri.But Eruantalon quicly took him over to her.She was reading a letter with hobbits around here that Cami quickly faned away.Only to try and get a better look herself.

As he walked up to her he saw a tear roll down her cheek.He thought to himself"Now this must be tears of greating of the man she is away from.And the children she is eager to see."

"Mis Pio."He said in a hush.

"Well now your joy mixed with sorrow will not stay around for long while I am here.I have an ancient song of the sea that your people like to sing on the fair seas.would you like to hear it.It will chase away the sorrow and remind you of the sea you hold so dear."Saying this he took agian his instrument from his pack.She noded in agreement.

Now a joyus sound came from his instrument.Like the sound of a babbeling brook jumping in the summer light.Quickly his fingers ran up and down the neck loud enough to shake the room.Notes ringing out evrery where.Cutting through the people stoped and a quitness was over them.

He stamped his foot twice on every orther beat.Now raising his voice hi and sang.

The sea the sea so bright and true.with falling waves that cast so blue.the joy of them for me and you.

all of us following now.

The roar of her by light of dawn.She laughs with joy all sorrows gone.
The sweet deepness that goes on and on.

Greatt calls going out to here now

Like jewls on arda she sparkels and shines.That Ulmo rought so bright and so fine.My hart ever with joy in song that it finds.

Singing it out to her now.

Quickly Arendill joined in with him now.The fair joyus sound of the star maidens voice with the deep voince of Eruantalons.Sang out with the whole inn now stamping along with him.Her voice now taking the next verse.High and beautifull.

So now we all sing to you us Teleri.Of rushing foam and of salty sea.The ships call out to set us free.

All of us sailing out now.

Now there two voices togther in harmony.That sets Pio two move to the music.Rie came also to join in now with the three of them singing.Eruantalon wispering the next lines of the verse in her ear as they all sang.

On fairest ships the chirlden will dance.No sorrow known if love is at chance.Ever on shores and sea they will prance.

Living the life we know how.

The booming voice of the minstel now rang through the whole of the inn.As it did the night before.But now no ancient beauty long forgotten was in his song with joy and happeness.The room grew warm again.Now the smell of the sea was every where.The crashing of the waves could almost be heard.

The inn was filled with light as the three sang.As if a beauty that crawled into every part of the inn was there that morning.Almost like a joyus spell.

Pio was smiling and happy now.Maybe it was more likely for him to get a tub now.

The entire green dragon was in an upraor.Even Bali was dancing happaly.Though the dwarfs had no joy in the sea.Bali was not fearfull of the sounds that where made.For they where not terribal and angry but friendly and warm.

The song ended and the entire inn shouted for joy.Eruantalon,Rie,and Arendill all laugh togther.

"Now Pio this is Bali he is an old friend and a better Dwarf is hard to find.For this is as friendly and kind as they are made by Aule."

Pio greeted him and he turned to him and said"Now about the comming and goings of your poeople.There is a long story here.But I promise not to stop till it is told."

Old 01-09-2003, 02:02 AM   #704
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Umbria breathed deep, still watching out the window spoke. "so you do seek the company of the rangers. It was as I had suspected, were you once one of them perhaps? for I see that you are stout of heart, as many like you I have seen are"

She looked at the traveller and then after the boy "a dark day it is, Awrygan, my friend... and who was that child?... no, dont tell me, for I need something to drink, tell me on my return". Umbria went to the bar.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 01-09-2003, 11:38 AM   #705
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Mistress Pio still wasn't being terribly cooperative about the contents of that letter. The Elf had run off to sigh and hold the treasured missive to her chest and was staring out the front window of the Inn, as if weighing a decision in her mind. Cami shook her head. There was no use interrupting her now. She'd best get back to work.

Suddenly the silver bell tinkled at the door of the Dragon. Cami looked up startled. The door was unlatched, and visitors never bothered with the bell. That is, no visitors bothered with the bell but one, and that one was the Shire post. Perhaps this time, there'd be a letter for her, and she could make sure to hide it from Piosenniel!

The messenger on the step tipped his cap to her, with a respectful gaze. "Miss Cami, I'd be much obliged if you would sign for this letter. It's from a friend of yours in Hobbiton."

Cami snatched eagerly at the letter, scribbling out her signature as fast as she could. She tipped the messenger and bade him good afternoon. She spied the envelope and saw that the return address clearly said "Bag-end". Carefully unfolding the vellum, she sat down at one of the empty tables, and set it down in front of her smoothing out the wrinkles:

Dear Miss Cami,

It is so good to hear that one of my old pupils is back in the Shire! This place certainly attracts folks from every corner of Arda and every age known to man and hobbit.

I have two things to ask you. First, I am having a little dinner party. Frodo has travelled with me back to the Shire for this little trip, and will be there as well. I am pleased to tell you that he is feeling much better. I also expect to ask Master Samwise and his brood, who have kindly vacated the premises here for my use, so the gathering should be quite lively.

Please do come and ask a few of your friends to join you for the meal. I am most desirous of hearing some of the tales of the Lonely Star and also the hidden history of hobbits.

I have one other request to make. As you know, I am plannning a surprise party for Frodo, and have outfitted a band of hobbits to go travelling about the Shire seeking supplies for the party. We are unfortunately short several brave hobbits, and could use a volunteer or two extra. There have also been rumors about a group of ruffians and thugs lurking on the highways, but let's hope those tales are not true.

Again, please make the announcement in the Green Dragon Inn, and I look forward to seeing my star pupil tomorrow evening.

Bilbo Baggins, Esq.

Cami finished reading her letter and clambered up onto the top of one of the tables, banging with a large spoon to get everyone's attention.

"I have a message for everyone from Mr. Bilbo Baggins. He is looking for brave hobbits, lads and lasses, to set out on a journey through the Shire to gather supplies for Frodo's birthday celebration, which incidentally must be kept in the strictest confidence. All applicants for these positions must leave their calling cards at the discussion thread for The Hobbit's Gift. These messages will be forwarded to Bilbo, and he will try to accomodate you."

Then Cami thought long and hard about that dinner party at Bag-end and who she might invite, and what special frock she might put
on. It had been a long time since Cami had seen Bilbo. He was a very special person to her, so she intended to look her very best.

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-09-2003, 01:06 PM   #706
theWhiteLady
Wight

Shield

Laurie awoke with a start and realized she had dozed off, coaxed to sleep by the warm fire. She shook her head impatiently and chastizeded herself for being so careless. To make up for her error, she began tending the various costumers, running from table to table. The man from the stable touched her elbow as she swept by and asked very politely for a tub. Laurie thought he looked much nicer now, though rather dirty. She hurried away to get a tub, but was stopped so many times, that the thought was driven clean out of her mind.

It was not until the man began to play and sing a beautiful Elvish song that she remembered his request. Laurie had to pause to listen for a moment, however; each note was like a clear, warm drop of sunlight full of joy and happiness. Then she hurried from the room and quickly filled a tub she found in a side room with warm water. Laurie threaded her way through the crowd and now saw the man from the barn talking to Miss Pio. She walked up and stood beside him, waiting patiently to tell him that his bath was ready when he was.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:09 PM   #707
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Less than a days ride from the pub, Elwen stopped. Her horse Rochel was walking around a birch tree. The tree suddenly whispered to Elwen.

"Hail and well met Maiden of the stars, someone calls to you!" Then the tree once more fell silent.

Elwen turned, looking back along the road she had ridden. Yes there was a voice. A voice she did not know but it called to her. It called her by the name that only few before had ever called her, Arelendil. But it couldn't be him for he was waiting by the shore for her, with the elven ship and rings of shining gold, to bind them. It could not be He, so who had learn of that name?

Rochel was neighing loudly now, trotting back and forth between Elwen and the edge of the path.He wanted to return, what had he sensed.

"Well dear friend, we must go back. I hoped to find more answers before I returned but I shall have to be content for now. Not for nothing do the trees talk, I must return!"

Elwen swang onto her horse. Now dressed in a midnight blue tunic and brown riding boots. Her silver bow made by the elves of Ithilien slung openly upon her back. It sparkled in the light. Her hair was still lose, flying free as she rode fast back along the path, back to the Green Dragon.

As she rode Elwen searched her mind for people who had once called her by her other name. Her master but he was the one who awaited her and with him Nostawen, fair lady of Eryn Lasgalen. Who else...? It didn't matter. Upon the wind Elwen caught a tune, played by a lute like instrument. Sweet it sounded yet distant. A voice called out, words that she had often sang herself drifted around her, urging her onwards.

Elwen arrived at the path leading up to the Green Dragon Inn. Quickly she sprang off Rochel, bringing with her the silver flute. The tune had reach the end of the first verse. Up the steps and throught the door Elwen swiftly ran on quick and nimble elven feet. To join the song was her only thought, she did not notice anything else. Not the musician nor the person who was only now finishing the first verse. Had the wind had deceived her, bring the tune faster than the player or had she imagined it?

Elwen joined the song taking up the words of the second verse.

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: arelendil ]
Old 01-09-2003, 01:30 PM   #708
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Bali was much relieved to see Dona appear with his ale. "Thank you, m'lady."

Smiling at him, she equired what Eruantalon would like. Stepping forward, Bali said "Allow me to order for you, my friend."

He (Bali) turned to Dona and said "Let my friend have a pint of that ale you gave me, it was so good I had to ask for another even before I was finished with my first!" Dona left with the order, and of course another smile.

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: Himaran ]
Old 01-09-2003, 01:41 PM   #709
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

"I might not be the only tough one around here, but I'm tougher than you are," said Don stubbornly. "And your hair is awfully red."

Nuru hurriedly stepped out of the kitchen to laugh for a moment, and heard a young hobbit girl introduce herself as Robin. "Another Robin," said Nuru as she approached the lass.

"Excuse me," said Nuru to Robin. "I just happened to overhear what your name was. Robin, didn't you say?"

When the hobbit girl nodded, Nuru burst out laughing. "Oh, well, you see, I have a friend called Robin as well. Fortunately she's not here right now, or we might have utter confusion-" here Nuru winked to show she was just joking on that "-but might I ask you... what's you last name? The other Robin, who isn't here right now, is a Brandybuck, so when I speak of her I'll say Robin B., so you won't think I'm saying all those horrible things about you."

"Horrible?" asked Robin, confused.

"We're very old friends, so we like to tease each other," replied Nuru. "Are you hungry? I can get you some late breakfast, if you'd like."
Old 01-09-2003, 02:01 PM   #710
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

After saying this to Bali he looked over to Arendill."So the instrument called you back to the song Star maiden."

Her eyes looked at him in question."But Arendill do you think you could carry your silver bow and flute and go unnoticed by me?For that is your true name is't it?So many songs and tales I have heard of you.Last night as I did the dishies I longed to hear your song."

She now looked at him half amused and half estranged."Ah but how would I know so much of you your thinking.Well this instrument was made by a Maier of Lorien of the Valar.Any of the immortal race that hear it like yourself are called.Even Yanvannas trees sway under its song.It calls to them to.So before I even started to play you where called by it."

He said now chuckling to himself.She looked suprised and amused by his words.

"Long ago I had a dream of beautifull golden trees Arendill.They where on the south eastern side of a great ancient pit wrought by Dwarfs in a mountain.So I knew this was Moria.I traveled there and saw the tender Mallon trees and they swayed under my song with this instrument."Her eyes open wide at attentions of this tale.

"But there are many servents of the lord and lady of Lothlorien there.They patrol the forrests.They heard my song and came onto me.They said that I must be tighed and binded for none can enter the forrest without permission.So I kneeled dow and put my hands behind my back.So allowing them to bind me.I said if death be my penalty then so be it for the sight of these fair trees in my life is worth losing my life.They thought me a strange man and took me off to there haven."

"Now blind folded and tied I whent before the lord and lady.Galadriel hald a relic of a sword but still sharp bright and true to my neck."With that he showed her his sword.

"This vary one in my hand.So she asked what busness I had in her forrest.I told her of the dream and my love for Arda and that I could not live without seeing them once.So she said you have said you would gladly die now is the test of your words.Are you ready to be slain for a tree.Say no and I will not cut you down where you stand.So I relpied if I have done any wrong then I shall be slain.But I ask not here.Do not mar this haven of trees with blood.It deserves it not."

"Gladriel looked at me strangely and then the lord said that I have not gone unnoticed.My song had been calling all of Lothlorien to it.So they tought that it was a spell or enchantment of some kind.I then reaveled my instrument to them.Gladriels breath was taken away.She said she only saw maiers play on these no man had ever even seen one let alone played one."

"So they wanted my answer for this I told them the story of my life and how it came to me.Then they saw I was no enemy.For 4 days night and day I played to all the people of Lothlorien.The strength of that haven can help anyone in arda find peace.So I then became a friend of the Lord and Lady.But they looked as confused and dismayed as you did just now Arendill.For they knew not how or why they where called.But even the waters,stones,eath,fire,people,maier,and valer are set to pleasure when this instrument is played."
Old 01-09-2003, 02:50 PM   #711
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio thanked the man who had sung the song for her. It had lightened her mood somewhat. She turned from the south facing window where she stood collecting her jumbled thoughts, looking for Cami.

There she stood, reading a letter of her own. 'Must be pleasant news.' thought Pio, watching her friend's smile grow wider as she read along. She saw Cami glance her way, and she motioned for the Elf to come over to her.

'Tell me your news, Cami. It looks to be good from the expression on your face. And when you're done, I want to consult with you about the letter I received.'

She placed the slim envelope from Mithadan in Cami's hand, bidding her sit down with her while she read it.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:08 PM   #712
Pipperin
Animated Skeleton

Pipperin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

After speaking with Elanor, a hobbit lass walked up to her. Pipperin thought she recongnised her, but wasn't quite sure.

Quote:
Hello miss...I am called robin. If I may ask, what is your name?
Pipperin looked over at the hobbit happily "My name is Pipperin Took, pleased to meet you! Do you live in this area?"
She smiled and put out her hand.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:58 PM   #713
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

Laurie listened to the story that he was telling Elwen.After he was done witch did't take to long.She said"Your bath is ready sir"

He responded"Thank you I'll be there in a couple of minutes.You can call me Erulon sir is to formal for me.Your name is Laurie right Cami told me.Now that we are intraduced you can come over for a song or chat when you like."

Old 01-09-2003, 04:30 PM   #714
theWhiteLady
Wight

Shield

The lady in white had listened politely as the man from the barn talked of people unknown to her ears, and places that were but a legend in her land. When he turned to her, she replied with a curtsy.

"Yes, my name is Laurie, sir- er, I mean Erulon. I'm afraid I have never learned such beautiful songs as the one you just played. I confess that it quite swept me along and for a moment, the melody reminded me of a river of silver and gold flowing through lands unseen by mortal eyes." Laurie shook her head, embarrassed. "I'm sorry to prattle on, but Elvish music does seem to effect people that way. I could listen to it all through the night and day."

Just as Erulon opened his mouth to reply, a small sandy-haired boy wandering by caught Laurie's eye. He seemed to be looking for someone in charge and upon a second glance, Laurie realized, with a gasp, why.
Old 01-09-2003, 04:38 PM   #715
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Then Eruantalon turned to Bali. "Mayhaps we should find ourselves a table. After all that dancing and singing, it has become to hot over here by the fire. Besides, I am sure we have much more to tell to one another about our travels."

"A wonderful idea," said Bali. "Let us take our ales and find a table."

And so they moved across the room to one of the few vacant ones, and proceeded to sit and chat. They talked primarily about their home, Erebor, and what was happening there and in neighboring lands.

But finally Eruantalon said to Bali, "I believe that I have said enough, for a little while at least. Now then, tell me about your journey from home to here. Few dwarves enjoy the prospect of long travels, but you do, and must have mamy tales to tell about your trip."

Bali then said, "Well, we dwarves are not known to be story tellers any more than we are to be travelers, but If it is what my friend wishes, I can tell you many a story about my journey."

Bali was, in fact, an excellent story teller, but always was trying to be modest. He detested boastful people. He began his story.
Old 01-09-2003, 05:32 PM   #716
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

"Oh, nice to have such loyal friends," Rie muttered, grinning to herself and trying to hide it from Don. Nuru and Dona had both left the room, leaving Rie alone to try and cope with the stubborn lass.

"You know," she said, turning back to Don, "red hair is a sign of toughness. If my hair is awfully red then I'm awfully tough."

The girl gave her a dry look. "That's stupid," she said.

"Is not," Rie countered playfully, but Don seemed in no mood to play.

"Why don't you just leave me alone?" the girl demanded, scowling at Rie.

"Because I don't know what's good for me, and I can never leave anybody alone, least of all somebody who's so much like me."

That didn't help matters. "I'm not like you!" Don shouted, making it sound like there was nobody in the world she'd be less glad to be like.

"Oh, sure you are," Rie said. "You're a lot like me. Stubborn, irritable, unwilling to admit when you're wrong--"

"But I'm not wrong," Don insisted.

" 'Course you're not," replied Rie. "Isn't that what I just said?"

"What?" asked Don, puzzled. "Isn't what what you just said?"

"That you'll never say you're wrong."

Don scowled harder. "Now you're just trying to confuse me!"

"Well, is it working?" Rie asked, crossing her arms. She hoped that Nuru came back soon; she wanted her to see this. This was Rie in her element: arguing.

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]
Old 01-09-2003, 07:18 PM   #717
Carrūn
Wight

Pipe

Awyrgan sat in a surprised silence. It has long been since music lightened my heart, if but for a short moment. He marveled at the instrument of the bard for it was like none he had seen before.

But that is not part of my tale, he told himself and went back to planning the details of his next travel. He looked up and happened to spot the scrawny sandy-haired boy wandering around almost with some uncertantity. That boy was never nervious before. Strange, perhaps the music touched him in some manner. He had better find someone to clean that cut out or I will take him outside and do it myself.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:33 PM   #718
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Don turned her back on Rie and began eating her breakfast, muttering things under her breath. When she had finished, she turned back and said hotly, "Well, at least I don't go bragging about how tough I am!"

"Don't you?" asked Rie.

"No," said Don, then she stopped. "Well... NO, I DON'T!" The last three words were practically screamed.

Rie hid another smile. The girl had been close to admitting that she had bragged before. "Oh, I see," said Rie in a voice that told Don everything Rie thinking.

"NO, I DON'T!" she yelled again, louder this time. Rie clapped a hand over her mouth and whispered in her ear, "Quiet, or you'll be in trouble."

"What can you do to me?" asked Don defiantly.

"Oh, I won't do anything to you. That dwarf over there will." Rie pointed to the dwarf bearing the axe.

Something wavered in Don's eyes, but then the hobbit girl raised her chin and said, "Oh, I could show him a thing or two."

"There, you're bragging!" said Rie triumphantly.

Don rolled her eyes and glared even harder at Rie.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:33 PM   #719
Animated Skeleton

Pipe

Quote:
"We're very old friends, so we like to tease each other," replied Nuru. "Are you hungry? I can get you some late breakfast, if you'd like."
Robin laughed at this and smiled "Yes, I am like that myself once in a while." She looked up as she heard another Hobbit introduce herself.

Quote:
Pipperin looked over at the hobbit happily "My name is Pipperin Took, pleased to meet you! Do you live in this area?"
She smiled and put out her hand.
"Indeed!" laughed Robin "I am a Took as well!" she said brightly to Pipperin.

She looked over at Nuru, the porrige seemed ages ago and had left her mouth in much need of a drink "Yes,I have already had breakfast but now I think I am in need if a drink may I please get, if it is not too much trouble, a glass of stawberry cordial?".

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: Sword Maiden Of The Shire ]
Old 01-09-2003, 07:39 PM   #720
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

"At once," said Nurumaiel, and she went off to the kitchen. She almost burst out laughing, for she saw Don glaring angrily and Rie and Rie looking quite cool and collected.

"Do you need anything?" Rie asked quickly.

"Oh, no," said Nuru. "Miss Robin Took wants something to drink and I'm going to get it for her."

"Yuck, drinks!" said Don, trying to sound rude.

"You couldn't live without them, miss," said Rie.

Nuru hurried out of the kitchen laughing, and approached Robin. "Here's you drink, Miss Took," she said. "Have a seat and see what there is to see, hear what there is to hear. There are many interesting tales to be told, and songs to be sung." With that, Nuru went back into the kitchen to watch the argument between Don and Rie.