The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-17-2005, 02:52 PM   #1
Celebaglar
Animated Skeleton

Location: Among the host of the noldor, and the last high elves that dwell in middle eath
Celebaglar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting tactical discussion, countering balrogs

I found a post about the tactical ways of destroying the mumakil. I like that thread, and afterreading the silmarillion, i decidedto make a new one. With that said, the balrogs of morgoth were incredibly powerful. But the tactics of countering them depends if they could pick their form. Didn't Ungoliant choose to be a spider? What i want to know is can a balrog have chosen their form, and how would they be countered on the battlefield?
Celebaglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 03:07 PM   #2
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Two words: ICBMs.
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 03:08 PM   #3
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BolT 2 Fall of Gondolin
Rog and his men leap even upon the coils of the great serpents, and come at those balrogs and smote them greivously and batter them into nought, or catching at their whips, wielded them against them, and they tore them, even as aforetime they had torn the Gnomes. And the number of Balrogs that were slain were a marvel, and a dread to the host of Melkor, for ere that day, never had any Balrog been slain by man or elf.
Basically, call up an incredibly strong Noldo with a gargantuan hammer and watch while he beats on them.

In the event that one fails to get Rog back from Valinor, you can always try my personal favorite: tell them that they have no wings (or unable to fly) and watch as they "prove you wrong" by flinging themselves off a cliff.

Last edited by Lindolirian; 03-17-2005 at 03:57 PM. Reason: to add "or unable to fly"
Lindolirian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 03:29 PM   #4
Celebaglar
Animated Skeleton

Location: Among the host of the noldor, and the last high elves that dwell in middle eath
haha, but the point is, they really do have wings
Old 03-17-2005, 04:37 PM   #5
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Re:

Silmarillion and LOTR class Balrogs are large, deadly, and have mid-ranged weapons (whips) and short ranged weapons (blades).

So the ideal way to kill them is to be in the mountains, on some high cliff that you can throw them off.

Luring them to mountains doesn't seem to be hard, they seem to be drawn to the high peaks. Just lead refugees on a mountain pass, and a Balrog will come. Then, all it takes is one being who has seen Valinor, using some leverage to knock the brutes over the precipice.

Make sure there isn't a huge lake below ... because the Balrogs will live.

But, if it's a fountain ... they'll die. Apparently.

Ecthelion drowned Gothmog in a fountain ... of course, Gondolin was in a mountainous region, and there may have been a cliff involved, it may have had sheer, steep walls that Gothmog couldn't just slime his way out of. That explains why Ecthelion couldn't get out either ... that and swimming in a suit of armor.

Perhaps the fountain of Gondolin was more like a really big well or reservoir.

Anyway, from a tactical point of view ... all it takes is a sword to parry blows and an indeterminable amount of strength to fight with the Balrog until a suitable cliff can be found.
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 04:45 PM   #6
Makar

Makar has just left Hobbiton.
Why would it be that a Noldorin Prince seems to have been a better match for a balrog than another Maia?
Makar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 05:57 PM   #7
Celebaglar
Animated Skeleton

White Tree

What reason had the maia to be fighting the balrogs, the noldor were not suited, they just came across the noldor.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:36 PM   #8
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
The Balrog yelled, and fell forward, and the fire of his being was extinguished in the Fountain, and he perished, along with Ecthelion, who, steel laden, sank into the depths, and so perished the Lord of the Fountain, after fiery battle in cool waters.
Keeper: This quote from the Fall of Gondolin has always made me think of the Fountain as a deep well because I can't imagine a great Elf like Ecthelion drowning in two inches of water. It is clear that it was deep enough to quench the weaking embers of Gothmog and drown and armour laden (not to mention rather tall) Elf.
In all seriousness, the most tried and true way to kill a Balrog has been casting him from a great height, but that's not always and option. Ecthelion killed Gothmog by stabbing with the spike of his helm, which I find downright hilarious. Correct me if I'm wrong but the only other descriptions of Balrog deaths are Glorfindel's and Gandalf's which were both done in by a great fall. Gothmog is the only one who gives us evidence that Balrogs can be killed by a physical wound which implies that their spirits are more tied to their bodies than Sauron's. Just ask Luthien and Huan about that one.
So the trick is either to overwhelm them by numbers (Rog and his House), impale them (Ecthelion), or toss them off a mountain.

Now if each of these fail, I'd say just send in a MOAB
Old 03-17-2005, 11:13 PM   #9
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

Aside from ICBMs (MIRVed or not), MOABs, and lone fighters, you can kill Balrogs with an absurdly large army of Maiar and Valinor Elves.

Probably except those that will hide in inaccessible caverns deep underground.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 04:19 AM   #10
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
I usually find that about 15 hits of the Balrog with a 'bolt of the valar' from Gandalf usually does the trick. And as long as Idrial is there to bump up gandalf's health now and then there's no problem.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 10:43 AM   #11
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebaglar
What reason had the maia to be fighting the balrogs, the noldor were not suited, they just came across the noldor.
Celebaglar brings up a good point: fire-retardant suits are absolutely necessary. This, as Tolkien points out, was why the Elves were able to bring down so many in The Fall of Gondolin. Gondolin was the center of all fire-retardant suit manufacturing, however, so once it fell there was no longer an abundance of this special Elven armor. I believe Rog's chestpiece had a name, but it's not coming to me at the moment. Maybe someone else remembers.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:31 PM   #12
lord of dor-lomin
Wight

lord of dor-lomin has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

If a fall can kill a Balrog, why didn't Durin's Bane die when he and Gandalf fell a million miles down from the bridge?

I mean, just think of how fast they'd be going after falling that far. Hitting water going that fast should kill you, right?
Old 03-22-2005, 03:05 PM   #13
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord of dor-lomin
If a fall can kill a Balrog, why didn't Durin's Bane die when he and Gandalf fell a million miles down from the bridge?

I mean, just think of how fast they'd be going after falling that far. Hitting water going that fast should kill you, right?
I think that lord of dor-lomin is correct regarding 'falling kills balrogs.' I assume that a fall, though even from a great height, can only wound not destroy a Balrog. Nor can they be drowned easily. I would say, seeing the examples provided, that the Balrogs must be seriously wounded before these other means of death are available.

Though not very obvious from the book, obviously Gandalf gives the Roggie more than a few paper cuts and spells (lightning bolts, fireballs, something?) before he casts him into ruin on the mountain.
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 07:51 PM   #14
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Originally posted by alatar:

Quote:
Though not very obvious from the book, obviously Gandalf gives the Roggie more than a few paper cuts and spells (lightning bolts, fireballs, something?) before he casts him into ruin on the mountain.
I'm not sure that fireballs would to much good against Balrogs, but I think you have the right idea.

In the examples above, there seems to be a trend that you can physically hurt a balrog. (Falls, magic spells, helmet spikes...) It would make sense then that you could injure it enough to remove spirit from body. After all, that is death. The more pain inflicted, the farther apart a beings physical and spiritual parts move. It would probably take awhile, but it seems very possible to me that a balrog could simply be beaten to death.

Now, doing that before it kills you is the hard part.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:07 PM   #15
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

It's news that Balrogs are physically vulnerable?
Old 03-22-2005, 10:05 PM   #16
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye concerning falling Balrogs

Terminal velocity for a human falling with his legs and arms stretched out is around 120 mph. That's pretty much as slow as you can fall.

Balled up- 200 mph

Maximum recorded free fall speed without any special equipment- 321 mph

That is really fast.

There is no doubt that such a fall would kill a person on land. Falling out of Celeborn and Galadriel's flet would likely kill someone.

Water is a different story.

Yes, it's true that water is more like a solid at high speeds (think skipping stones- or airplanes). I've gone water skiing before and yeah- when you try to flip and wipe out at 50 miles an hour you're going to skip a couple times and probably get a couple bruises, but it's not that bad. It's definitely possible to survive a 100 mph fall into water.

There was a jet pilot who bailed out at 10,000 plus feet and survived the dive into the ocean.

So no, the fall into the water did not have to kill or maim Gandalf and Durin's Bane.

But I bet they got a wicked welt, especially if they belly-flopped. Ouch.

Last edited by the phantom; 03-22-2005 at 10:27 PM. Reason: more stuff
the phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 04:47 PM   #17
Celebaglar
Animated Skeleton

Why would gandalf call Durin's Bane "Flame of Udun" when Balrogs had barely anything to do with Udun?
Old 03-24-2005, 05:06 PM   #18
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebaglar
Why would gandalf call Durin's Bane "Flame of Udun" when Balrogs had barely anything to do with Udun?
He wouldn't have, if what you say is true. It's not though. Balrogs had plenty to do with Udun (Utumno).
Old 03-24-2005, 07:37 PM   #19
Celebaglar
Animated Skeleton

White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by obloquy
He wouldn't have, if what you say is true. It's not though. Balrogs had plenty to do with Udun (Utumno).
[from the FOTR]"You cannot pass" he said. The orcs stood still, and a dead silence fell. "I am a wielder of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. Dark fire will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the Shadow! You can not pass."

Please sir, I am not ignorant. If you need proof of Gandalf saying this, it is in the chapter "the bridge of khazad-dum".

And what does the balrog have to do with Udun?
Old 03-24-2005, 08:18 PM   #20
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I didn't say Gandalf didn't say it, I said that if what you say is true ("Balrogs had barely anything to do with Udun"), he wouldn't have said what he said. As you've unnecessarily proven, however, Gandalf did say that. Therefore your claim that Balrogs had little to do with Udun is incorrect.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:21 PM   #21
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

I agree with Celebaglar on this one. Udun was the land between the Black Gate and the Plateau of Gorgoroth. The balrogs were servants of Morgoth, not Sauron, and likely would never have gone to Mordor for any reason. Even besides that, Durin's Bane had been asleep in Moria long before Sauron set up his stronghold within Mordor. So what would the Balrog have to do with Udun?

(Just to clarify: I'm not saying that it doesn't have anything to do with Udun, I just don't see any reasonable reason that it would.)
Old 03-25-2005, 02:27 PM   #22
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Udun is Sindarin for the Quenya word Utumno, which was the name of Morgoth's original subterranean stronghold.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:33 PM   #23
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Well, there's that reasonable reason I was looking for. Thanks a bunch, obloquy!

Oh yes, one thing I would certainly do if confronting a Balrog: Ask him if he had wings or not, just so I'd know before I died.