The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-30-2007, 01:30 AM   #1
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Whatever happened to The Hobbit?

I'm not sure if this belongs in movies or books, since it's really a crossover question, but I'll put it here.....

Ok, whoever directs it, we all know what The Hobbit movie is likely to be: an adult telling of the tale with a real effort made to show lines of continuity with Lord of the Rings. That means there will be no light hearted elves....they will likely all be serious and deeply concerned about the menace of Sauron. We'll likely have Orcs --real Orcs--rather than goblins. (Yes, I know they're the same but at the same time they're very different.) The list could go on and on if I had the time and inclination.

The issue I am raising is this: not what The Hobbit is going to be but ideally what it should be. Specifically, should The Hobbit be the children's tale that Tolkien actually wrote for his own little ones, or should it be the adult prelude to the LotR? If so, why or why not?

Secondly, and this may sound strange, but has the success of the Lord of the Rings in some sense "killed" the true story of The Hobbit? Are we so concerned with ironing out the differences in terms of detail and mood, that we (and Tolkien as well) have "killed" the Hobbit? Will it ever be possible for people to read The Hobbit and appreciate it on its own, without being overshadowed by LotR?

I read the Hobbit before I ever read LotR and it holds a special place in my heart. But many people find the book "irritating". They don't want a children's book. They complain about those aspects of the book and compare it unfavorably to LotR or even Silm. I think they're being short sighted, but I may definitely be in the minority on this.

Plus, what is truly more "canon': Silm, which wasn't even written by JRRT, or the Hobbit, which is, at least in its origins, a children's story? Or maybe only LotR can ever be considered "canon"?

Any thoughts on all this?