The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2015, 05:11 PM   #1
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting A Challenge - To those who do not know we have arisen from the ashes...

On the bar at the top of this page is a link called "Members list." I am not sure how many people peruse this list. I do at times. As Dumbledore (can we utter that name on this site?) would say "forgive me for my mawkishness" because I have, at times, looked for reminders of friends long ( and in some cases very long) gone as I do not want to forget their contributions here.

Anyway. if you click on Members List, you will find that each alphabetical list can be sorted by last visit. If you go through the alphabet, you will find perhaps a hundred members that visited in December, 2014 and January, 2015 before Morgoth's minions visited this site and succeeded in temporarily shutting it down. These people have not visited since and I suspect many do not know the boards have been resurrected (slain again? Re-died? Damn, still don't know what to call it).

My challenge is this. I do not know most of these people. Some have posted hundreds of times. Some have titles. Some are newcomers. People here must know many of them, at least virtually.

INVITE THEM BACK!!!!! Let them know the Downs is awake again.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:10 PM   #2
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
To minimise duplication

I have contacted WCHicklin.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:17 PM   #3
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Many people receive emails for new private messages - isn't that the forum default? Well worth a try.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:24 AM   #4
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithadan View Post
These people have not visited since and I suspect many do not know the boards have been resurrected (slain again? Re-died? Damn, still don't know what to call it).
Re-interred?

It was the renewal of a Barrow, after all.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:31 AM   #5
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Exhumed? But I don't care really what we call it I am just glad that it was possible. But yes the only thing missing is a bit more activity and some of the old avatars back..

Old 06-07-2015, 08:39 AM   #6
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Many people receive emails for new private messages - isn't that the forum default? Well worth a try.
Also perhaps posting on,if only for a HerenIstarion style bump up the forum of any threads that were active before the board went pear shaped. Some may have notifications set for new posts.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:09 AM   #7
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
About a week ago, I sent out PMS to six members who, at least, visited the forums in November through January before our crash. I selected persons whose names were at least familiar to me and who might recognize my name. Some are well-known here. One reappeared and messaged me a thank you. A second visited without messaging or posting.

Aganzir, you are correct that the default is to link the PM system to an e-mail address for notification purposes. Some may have registered 5 or even 10 years ago. E-mail addresses change. Again, I encourage everyone to reach out and invite their friends back, particularly if you have an e-mail address.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:00 AM   #8
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Many people receive emails for new private messages - isn't that the forum default?
Speaking for myself, I only get an email if my inbox is full.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:35 AM   #9
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
Speaking for myself, I only get an email if my inbox is full.
Does this mean we should start spamming all the missing people?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:22 PM   #10
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

No, spamming is not needed. But if you know anyone that may not be aware that the forums are open again, send a PM, or better, an e-mail if you have an address. Unfortunately, it may be that the e-mail addresses that people used when they first signed up may be out of date, so PMs are not forwarded, or they opted not to receive notifications.

Of course, it may simply be that those that have not stopped by have become "treeish" and simply don't want to.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:26 AM   #11
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithadan View Post
I suspect many do not know the boards have been resurrected (slain again? Re-died? Damn, still don't know what to call it).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
Re-interred?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Exhumed?
Perhaps "re-animated"?

A worthy cause. There are many treeish members that I wish I could wake up -- starting with myself!
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:40 PM   #12
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Hello old friend!

Have you responded to my challenge? Invite someone back to the Downs!
Old 07-03-2015, 03:37 PM   #13
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I browsed the latest two or three pages of the Members List today. Of the people I remember from before my hiatus very few have e-mail adresses in their Contact Info (can't blame them, I don't myself). Some have homepages which turned out to be defunct. Anyway, I've e-mailed LadyBrooke (tried blantyr and TheKA as well, but both came return to sender, address invalid).
Old 07-03-2015, 04:01 PM   #14
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Oh the Ka is known to me and other Downers on Facebook and she will be aware the Downs is back. It is a busy time of year for many. Durelin is the one I would love to see again
Old 07-03-2015, 04:10 PM   #15
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Unfortunately her homepage throws a 404 (Dury's I mean).