The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2007, 02:06 PM   #201
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
And Minnesota Public Radio think CT should be grateful anyone even knows the story

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/col...kien_who.shtml
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:09 PM   #202
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well considering that contains a gross factual error....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:31 PM   #203
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of the 7th Age
Actually, there are two signed books on e-bay now, and I expect there will be others. The second dealer is such a doofus that he has advertised it as being signed by J.R.R. Tolkien himself along with Lee! (Quite a trick if JRRT could do that...)
Perhaps, just perhaps, Margaret Atwood's remote book signing machine has more remote capability than ever imagined!

(Actually, I heard the machine failed its first attempted signings. )
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:36 PM   #204
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
And Time thinks

http://www.time.com/time/arts/articl...611448,00.html
Old 04-17-2007, 02:40 PM   #205
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
Ebay now has one with a Buyitnow feature of $169.99 signed by both men.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:02 PM   #206
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Star-Tribune
http://www.startribune.com/384/story/1126832.html
Old 04-17-2007, 03:21 PM   #207
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
Quote:
[i]Children is written in Tolkien's full-on high heroic style, which is light on the characterization and sometimes hilariously dorky.
That means I'll like it lots.

Quote:
...and there's no shortage of elves and dwarves and mighty smiting for the casual fan.
Mighty smiting.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:50 PM   #208
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
$169.99 for a copy with both sigs....a veritable bargain!

The only buy-it-now on e-bay with both sigs goes for $249.99.

Where's that signing machine when I need it? Or at least a good counterfeiter.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:35 PM   #209
Maglor
Pile O'Bones

Maglor has just left Hobbiton.
Just picked it up!

It'd be great to hear everybody's perspectives after they/we finish reading.

Initial pre-read impression:

The artwork is gorgeous, but the book is so much smaller than I expected!

Oh, and many thanks to davem for the continuous influx of articles/reviews.
Maglor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:56 PM   #210
Sardy
Wight

Sardy has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maglor
The artwork is gorgeous, but the book is so much smaller than I expected!
Smaller as in content... or smaller as in the actual physical size of the book...?
Old 04-17-2007, 10:11 PM   #211
Maglor
Pile O'Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardy
Smaller as in content... or smaller as in the actual physical size of the book...?
Smaller in size. I actually haven't started reading yet (just the Preface and Introduction). But the book itself is slimmer and slightly shorter than I would have expected.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:58 PM   #212
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Of course, its all just a rip off of Wagner, you know......

http://www.bitsofnews.com/content/view/5571/42/
Old 04-18-2007, 12:48 AM   #213
Sir Kohran
Wight

Sir Kohran has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maglor
Smaller in size. I actually haven't started reading yet (just the Preface and Introduction). But the book itself is slimmer and slightly shorter than I would have expected.

Funnily enough it's actually taller than my copy of LOTR so I don't mind.

Anyway, this is the first book I've ever bought on its release day - when I bought it at Waterstones, the woman at the counter said 'this'll be quite good, actually...'. I've yet to actually start reading it, and I haven't read the Silmarillion, so could people kindly put spoiler marks if they post the ending or anything? Thanks.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:00 AM   #214
davem
Illustrious Ulair

More on the launch

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle1668625.ece

Excerpt: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...704180409/1030
Old 04-18-2007, 06:06 AM   #215
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
Looks like the $169.00 US double sig book on ebay is gone and it was some kind of test because overnight at least five more popped up with a buy-it-now price of $299.00. The market is being tested.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:20 AM   #216
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Got it this morning. Had a good look at the contents although I haven't started reading.

Although mine is just the ordinary version, it's a handsome volume. Pictures seem more of landscape than people. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

SPOILER......

The book doesn't end with the death of Hurin, as I had hoped. Nor does it clarify what happens to him and what his state of mind is, when he dies. I do feel very cheated - for me it's the crux of the story. Hurin's children were destroyed to punish Hurin, and I need to know how far Morgoth succeeded in destroying Hurin's mighty spirit.
But I accept that this issue of Hurin's despair is probably just my own little obsession and that most readers won't be so bothered about this.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:39 AM   #217
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
This review is a little more even handed:

http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2...urce=whitelist

Quote:
I came away from "The Children of Húrin" with a renewed appreciation for the fact that Tolkien's overarching narrative is much more ambiguous in tone than is generally noticed. As has been much discussed, he was a devout Catholic who tried, with imperfect success, to harmonize the swirling pagan cosmology behind his imaginative universe with a belief in Christian salvation. Salvation feels a long way off in "The Children of Húrin." What sits in the foreground is that persistent Tolkienian sense that good and evil are locked in an unresolved Manichaean struggle with amorphous boundaries, and that the world is a place of sadness and loss, whose human inhabitants are most often the agents of their own destruction.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 04-18-2007 at 07:47 AM.
Child of the 7th Age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:54 AM   #218
davem
Illustrious Ulair

For those still waiting, Amazon.co.uk have the whole of Chapter 1 here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.h...d_i=0007246226
Old 04-18-2007, 12:18 PM   #219
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Potter slain by Black Sword:

http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/art...060084,00.html
Old 04-18-2007, 01:24 PM   #220
davem
Illustrious Ulair

And how was that wonderful cover created?

http://endicottstudio.typepad.com/en...o_middle_.html
Quote:
Endicott contributor Howard Gayton posed for the hero in the book's cover painting by Alan Lee. (He stood in my garden holding a broom for a sword and looking noble while Alan took photographs for visual reference.)
Old 04-19-2007, 12:17 AM   #221
davem
Illustrious Ulair

More

http://www.quillandquire.com/blog/in...lling-wizards/

http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/r...of-hurin_N.htm
Old 04-19-2007, 06:52 AM   #222
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Tolkien

Wonderful links, Child and davem.

I can't help but wonder about the number of them. Have all these sites and sources decided that the book really will be big and are they trying to get on top of the buzz? On the other hand, part of me--and sorry if this sounds terribly cynical--wonders if all these reports are part of a huge marketing campaign by HarperCollins.

For instance, my local newspaper was actually part of a contest with HarperCollins: the first 100 people who replied to an email contest (to win a trip for two to "Middle-earth", aka New Zealand) would receive a free copy of the book. Was this common with other newspapers or just something conceived locally?

Major book reviews come out on the weekend here, so I have my eye out for that. If CoH isn't reviewed, what would that mean?
Old 04-19-2007, 10:49 AM   #223
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Is my mind slipping, or is this new version the first time Gwindor's loss of a hand has been mentioned?
William Cloud Hicklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:37 AM   #224
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Want to read a rant on the critics' views of CoH? Here's one by Marcel Bülles, the president of the German Tolkien Society: The Children of Húrin - Tolkien is back with a vengeance!

No language worries, by the way - the entry is in English.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:40 AM   #225
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
Wonderful links, Child and davem.

I can't help but wonder about the number of them. Have all these sites and sources decided that the book really will be big and are they trying to get on top of the buzz? On the other hand, part of me--and sorry if this sounds terribly cynical--wonders if all these reports are part of a huge marketing campaign by HarperCollins.
Yes http://www.thebookseller.com/control/?p=6&a=36306
Quote:
HarperCollins will be advertising the book in Earls Court around the London Book Fair, and working in partnership with the Telegraph over the weekend of 21st and 22nd April. The Telegraph partnership will include full-page advertorials, ad placements throughout the whole newspaper, and a competition to "return to Middle-earth" by winning a trip to New Zealand. This will be supported by a month-long campaign on the Telegraph website, that includes a specially created Tolkien microsite, run-of-site advertising, advertorials, downloads and interviews.

Publicity will see a slew of reviews, features and interviews, including a major feature in the Sunday Times Culture magazine the weekend before launch, and interviews on news programmes giving the story behind the new book.

HarperCollins is also planning blanket targeting of the online Tolkien fan base through promotions with key fansites, search portals and social network sites, and a bespoke online PR campaign. There will be a dedicated website at www.tolkien.co.uk.

An all-day event at Waterstone's Piccadilly will launch the book, attended by the author's grandson, Adam Tolkien, and featuring a talk by Alan Lee. A leading "Lord of the Rings" actor will read extracts from the new book, and characters from "The Lord of the Rings" stage show will also be present. Lee will be giving talks and signing books at selected bookshops around publication as well.
Inevitable. Tolkien is both Harper Collins & Houghton Mifflin's 'star' apparently. They need to sell CoH big time.

Look at Bloomsbury's profits for last year - down 75% just because there was no Harry Potter book out. What happens to them when the HP saga concludes?
Old 04-19-2007, 11:50 AM   #226
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
No language worries, by the way - the entry is in English.
Hmm. Are you sure about that? I can think of a few choice Old English derived words which might cause some language worries on this forum.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:52 AM   #227
davem
Illustrious Ulair

And one of the best so far:

http://www.marcel-buelles.de/the-chi...h-a-vengeance/
Quote:
If you can’t handle incarnations of pure evil, the ephemeral nature of our existence, bravery in the face of all odds, the everlasting loss mankind has to suffer in losing loved ones though daringly defending them, if you cannot accept sacrifice as one of mankind’s essential qualities which has made this species survive on this planet - go home and read some of your modernist novels, probe the workings of your inner mind, the fully-fledged narcistic characters roaming the streets of rundown urban centers of depravity and disorder who so valiantly manage to suffer - suffer without hope.

Oh, really. It’s all black and white? Evil vs. good? Tolkien’s a simpleton conjuring up Christian hopes and motifs, imperfectly veiled? If you cannot tell a master at his craft’s best from writing that is so to your liking - then do get another job. Please. Criticism should be written by a person who offers reasoned judgement or analysis. Tolkienbashing has become an art in itself and it has become stale by now. We have read it all. In 1956.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:33 PM   #228
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Unless my French is a lot rustier than I thought this French website quotes teh MD of Harper Collins as not ruling out a film deal despite the estate not wanting it... but is waiting for the reaction of readers before he cedes the rights to the Hollywood sharks!
http://www.fantasy.fr/news/actu/3119...au-cinema.html

Here too.. http://www.cinempire.com/films/news/170407e.html More completely...

«Avant toute chose, nous voulons que le livre puisse suivre son cheminement en tant que livre» a déclaré Brawn.
«Personne ne peut dire 'Non' ŕ un film (mais) les droits sont réservés par l' Estate (Tolkien Estate). Nous voulons d'abord voir la réaction qu'il suscitera et on le laissera suivre son cours» a rajouté le directeur.

L'histoire se déroule avant l'époque du Seigneur des anneaux dans une partie de la Terre du Milieu qui a été inondée avant l'apparition des Hobbits. Le livre retranscrit le destin tragique des enfants de Húrin, Túrin et Niniel, maudits par Morgoth, le premier Seigneur des Ténčbres.

Very roughly - maybe TGWBS or one of our Quebecois can improve...

'"What we want first of all, is that the book is able to make its way as a book" declared Brawn. "Nobody can say "No!" to a film [ I think Christopher will as long as he lives. Mith]but the rights are retained by the (Tolkien) Estate. We want to see what response it generates and will let it take its course" . The story takes place before the time of the The Lord of the Rings in a part of Middle Earth flooded before the appearance of Hobbits. The book recounts the tragic desting of the children of Hurin, Turin and Niniel, cursed by Morgoth. the first Dark Lord.'

Last edited by Mithalwen; 04-19-2007 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:55 PM   #229
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
And one of the best so far:
Yes, that's the same link I posted earlier. Remember Marcel? He led the auction we attended one evening in Birmingham...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:57 PM   #230
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle1613657.ece

Do we have this already .... it seems we have a convert or nearly

Old 04-19-2007, 01:07 PM   #231
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
Yes, that's the same link I posted earlier. Remember Marcel? He led the auction we attended one evening in Birmingham...
Sorry, I'm linking to them as fast as I find them. Actually, in some case faster than I read them. I'm surprised I haven't duplicated my own links, never mind other people's
Old 04-19-2007, 01:27 PM   #232
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Have we had this yet?

Michael Drout on NPR http://www.here-now.org/shows/2007/04/20070417_17.asp
Old 04-19-2007, 02:41 PM   #233
Maglor
Pile O'Bones

I haven't seen this one yet. If it's already been posted, just let me know.

The Columbus Dispatch:

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/disp...3_AO6DOK1.html
Old 04-20-2007, 12:09 AM   #234
davem
Illustrious Ulair

More

http://www.ugo.com/ugo/html/article/...89&sectionId=7

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...EGU&refer=muse
Old 04-20-2007, 02:50 AM   #235
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

I've got mine now and I must say it looks really promising. The artwork by Alan Lee is fascinating! I read the introduction etc and even it made me excited (I had kind of calmed down, but now I'm excited about this again ).
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:28 AM   #236
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...041902308.html
Quote:
Years from now, when our present day is as remote from men and women (or cyborgs) as the events of the First Age were to the Council of Elrond, people may still tell tales out of Middle Earth. If so, The Children of Húrin will be one of them.
EDIT just corrected wrong link
Old 04-20-2007, 11:48 AM   #237
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Metro review:

http://www.metro.co.uk/metrolife/boo...&in_page_id=28
Quote:
So what if the narrative is patchy, with psychologically unenlightened characters popping in and out of the faux-medieval narrative like so many dwarves on pogo sticks? Perked up by bloodthirsty battles and a wizard dragon fight, the full-colour illustrations by Oscar-winning art designer Alan Lee hint that its true legacy will be a terrific movie – albeit one that's hardly PG-appropriate.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:01 PM   #238
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
I've got mine now and I must say it looks really promising. The artwork by Alan Lee is fascinating! I read the introduction etc and even it made me excited (I had kind of calmed down, but now I'm excited about this again ).

I am so intoxicated by the smell of a new seriously bound book that I haven't even read that much ...

Old 04-20-2007, 12:09 PM   #239
davem
Illustrious Ulair

For anyone who hasn't found the link from TOR.n

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/listenagain/

Listen to an interview with Adam Tolkien - last but one in the listing on the right hand side
Old 04-20-2007, 01:22 PM   #240
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I shall try and nab the book tomorrow. I wonder if anyone could tell me if there've been any major changes in the Nirnaeth?

I'm hoping for a resounding "No"!

This book is definitely bringing out strong reactions in reviewers, and unexpected ones. The ghastly but pro-Tolkien AS Byatt viciously attacked it, but from these reviews it seems that many writers normally indifferent or hostile to Tolkien are moved by it.