The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-01-2004, 01:04 AM   #1
eldomeldo
Pile O'Bones

eldomeldo has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Did your View of the Characters change after seeing the films?

Those who are movie fans with no knowledge from the books may not understand this, and i apologise in advance if i have posted this in the wrong place.
In the LOTR trilogy, the characters all play their roles in the destruction of the ring, and each character has different traits, there are characters we like and those we dislike, but did your view of the character change after watching the movie, did you see the character differently, and do you consider this to be a good or a bad thing.
I will not go through every character, i will only make comparisons on a few, and wait to see what other people think;

Sam in the book is loyal, caring, brave and hardly ever gives in to the thought of not returning home, in the film he is still loyal, caring, still thinks he will get home, but is overly angry and jealous of Gollum, whereas in the book he is just more suspicious, he also shows more understanding of the dangers of the ring in the book.

Boromir in the book is a soldier who cares deeply for his people, and sees the ring as a tool to help his people, in the film he just appears as a soldier who desires the ring, and is jealous that such a thing should be entrusted to a hobbit.

Faramir, in the book is completely different to Boromir, he is caring, wise and knowledgeable, in the film he is almost a carbon copy of Boromir.

Gimli, in the book is brave, and has great respect for the hobbits, in the film he is portrayed as comical.

Aragorn in the book is wise, and once he steps on the path to reclaim the crown of Gondor, and fulfil the prophecy, he has moments of doubt, which are soon overcome, in the film he appears doubtful of his path, and unsure that he is right.
These ar just a few, what do others think?
eldomeldo is offline   Reply With Quote