The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-21-2002, 04:13 PM   #1
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Random Questions you can ask about the book or each other

First of all, was the title long enough! Ok, what I meant by that, is that you can ask a question about the books-FotR, TTT, RotK, or Unfinished Tales, Silmarillion, etc. you know basically any Tolkien book about Middle-Earth or Aman, whatever. Or you can ask someone a question just about themselves I guess. I've been a member of this site for a while I guess but I don't know much about anybody. At all really, so if you wanna say something about yourself go ahead but don't say anything TOO personal because I don't wanna be responsible for getting in trouble.... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Is that an appropriate smiley for that statement? Yay, nay, ok whatever!
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 02:10 AM   #2
inglorion
Haunting Spirit

inglorion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think this thread should be in the 'Quiz Room'. I'll ask a question...eeehhmmm... what does the ELVEN-word 'rath' mean?

greetings,
lathspell
Old 05-22-2002, 02:11 AM   #3
inglorion
Haunting Spirit

inglorion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sorry Lothiriel,

I thought I was in 'Novices & Newcomers', when I read this thread.
Old 05-22-2002, 02:16 AM   #4
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lothiriel - that was me posting under my bro's name (inglorion). It's can be quite irritating to have a bro on the same forum, with another name. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

well, greetings again...
lathspell (again) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 01:26 PM   #5
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Well thanks Lathspell for atleast coming in this topic thing. I got atleast one person to come in!!! I just make topics to see how many people come in. And also cuz I wanna get past the Wight stage.
Old 05-22-2002, 01:54 PM   #6
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

Sting

Ah, you wanna become a Shade of Carn Dum... well, so do I, but sofar you're doing a better job than I.

greetings again,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
Old 05-22-2002, 01:56 PM   #7
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Yeah, I really wanna be something like Essence of Evil or Mist or something cool like that. Shad of Carn Dum is pretty good though but how many posts do u need to post!!! I think it would be better if you got a step higher by every 75 or 100 atleast.
Old 05-22-2002, 02:20 PM   #8
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nevtalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

My sister does the same thing Iathspell, anyone would think she was incapable of logging out! I think I've got it worked out now though, so she never gets credited with any of my posts, and I have more than her, hehehe!
Old 05-22-2002, 02:21 PM   #9
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ha ha! I win! I am a shade of Carn Dum. You need 250 to be a shade. I'm not sure if there is a specific number to get to choose your own.

Anyway, back ON TOPIC....

An easy one:

Where was Boromir from. (A specific city)

[ May 22, 2002: Message edited by: Arwen Imladris ]
Old 05-22-2002, 02:29 PM   #10
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

White-Hand

No, I win cos I am a Shade of Carn Dum and have more posts than you! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Could it possibly be....Minas Tirith?!
Old 05-23-2002, 03:53 AM   #11
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

Sting

*cry cry cry*
what about my question?... I asked one in my first post [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2002, 03:54 AM   #12
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

White-Hand

Is it in any way similar to the English word wrath??? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2002, 02:21 PM   #13
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I beleive that rath means street or road.
Old 05-23-2002, 03:37 PM   #14
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Opps! sorry inglorion, I didn't mean to! *Arwen gets on her knees and starts begging* Please Please forgive me!!

Nevtalathiel, I will catch up to you some time.... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2002, 10:46 AM   #15
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

White-Hand

Probably, everyone who registered in, like, May has more posts than me already! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2002, 04:31 AM   #16
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

Sting

Lindolirian - you are right, the answer is Street. It's from Rath Dínen. The Silent Street.

Arwen Imladris - Thou art forgiven. How could I not forgive a queen so fair and mighty? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2002, 01:44 PM   #17
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Thank you lathspell. Now I can sleep more peacefully.

I know that I am fair and mighty, but it is always nice to have my subjects be fully at peace with me! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2002, 02:31 PM   #18
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

White-Hand

Is this the time to start a rousing chorus of "For she's a Jolly-Good Fellow"?
Old 05-29-2002, 05:02 PM   #19
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For she's a jolyy good fellow, for she's a jolly good fellow, for she's a jolly goo-ood fell-lll-oowww, for she's a jolly good fellow.

Oh, sorry....
Old 05-29-2002, 06:13 PM   #20
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

I know the Barrow-wight is gonna close this topic, so I need to actually start something worth keeping, not that I don't like what you guys are saying, oh man I screwed up what I was trying to say....hopefully you all get what I'm saying though! Ok, now I'll start something.....but if you guys (girls too, I'm just speaking in general) but if you don't like what I pick, please fell free to give any suggestions. Thanks [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Ummmm, ok how about this one. Do you think Boromir should have died? What do you think would happen if he were still alive. Marriage maybe?
Old 05-30-2002, 08:01 AM   #21
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

White-Hand

It's an interesting question,because, had Boromir lived, Denethor may not have gone mad and despaired.

That's about all I can come up with right now, but (burst of inspiration) you could say that Boromir deserved to die after trying tosteal the ring from Frodo.
Old 05-31-2002, 06:54 AM   #22
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

Sting

I think that this question should be rephrased to: 'what would have happened if Faramir had come to Imladris and would have set out with the Fellowship?'

I think this would have been disastrous, for if we turn the two sons of Denethor II around, it would be Boromir who found Sam and Frodo at Ithilien. What would have happened then? Would he then also try to get the Enemies Ring for the profit of Minas Tirith? I guess so, for I think that his lust for the Ring was beginning already at Imladris. Sam said (regretfully at first, but not that bad later on) that Frodo had the One Ring and I think that this would have stirred the same lust in his heart. His lust to gain the Ring and to be the savier of Gondor and the rest of the world. This would have proved disastrous for I don't think that he could have mastered the Ring. Besides if he would use the Enemy would know where the Ring was and he might have loosened all his power on Boromir and Minas Tirith (in stead of putting forth a small amount of his army first as he did, which is known as the Battle of the Pelennor Fields).

Well, this is how I think about it. Boromir of course did not deserve to die for he was valiant and strong (as we see in moria, where he is the only one with Aragorn to stand next to Gandalf to await the Balrog).
He was betrayed by his own love for his land, for that is the reason why he wanted the Ring so much, to save Gondor and most of all Minas Tirith.

greetings,
lathspell
Old 05-31-2002, 07:19 AM   #23
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

But, if Faramir had been a member of the Fellowship instead of Boromir, it might not have split up the way it did, and Sam and Frodo might never have met anyone in Ithilien.
Old 06-01-2002, 02:57 AM   #24
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

Sting

Would that be good? They got provision and help from Faramir. I think that if they wouldn't have met anyone it's also a great chance of disaster. It could even be so that the Southerlings with the Mûmakil found and captured them.

greetings,
lathspell
Old 06-01-2002, 05:18 AM   #25
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm just posting so I can be a shade!! No seriusly, I think that without Faramir in Ithillien the whole think would have gone amiss. It was him who told Gandalf about Frodo and Sam going to Cirith Ungol, and based on that they made the decision to attack the Black Gates of Morranon, which actually helped Frodo to quicker destroy the Ring. So without Faramir the quest might have failed.
Old 06-01-2002, 12:17 PM   #26
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Ok, I'm struggling to be interesting, I can never find anything good to talk about! But here's something: Was Feanor good or bad?
Old 06-02-2002, 05:48 AM   #27
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

White-Hand

He had a much smaller part in the Sil than I imagined he would, everyone talks about him loads, but he was only in it for 5 chapters, for some reason I always thought he'd have a bigger part.
Old 06-02-2002, 07:39 AM   #28
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Feanor was good, I think, but because of his pride he was easily deceived. Thus he attacked the Teleri, betrayed his own allies and was killed when he thought he had won the battle. But without him the Silmarillions would never had been made, and the Light of the Two Trees would have been gone. And without thge return of the Noldorne to ME, it is not certain that Morgoth would have been overthrown. That way, something good comes out of something bad.
Old 06-06-2002, 08:10 AM   #29
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

Sting

Feänor is in my opinion can't be considered evil, though he ain't 'good' either. He caused the kinslaying of Alqualondë. He gainsaid the Valar and he was the one on whom the Doom was laid. But he made the Silmarils, and in that he did good for the light of the trees is still in them.
I think Feänor can be considered TOO good. He was greatest of all elves, that's why he could make the Silmarils, but he became pride and was later overwhelmed by his own greatness and power. And after he left Valinor and went to M-e I don't think he was evil, but secondary to the Silmarils. He was a King among the Elves, but a servant to his own and his property. (hmm... didn't know any other way to write down my opinion, I fid it quite a weird one. I hope it makes sense.)

greetings,
lathspell
Old 06-11-2002, 05:15 PM   #30
Aiwyn of the Eorlingas
Pile O'Bones

Aiwyn of the Eorlingas has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I think that Feanor, in his heart, was good, but he was corrupted by his wish to keep the Silmarils for himself. He was led astray from his path by that annoying little thing we humans know so fondly as desire.
(Sorry, haven't read enough of 'The Silmarillion' to know much else, but hey, I wanna move up as well ASAP and I've got a looooooooong way to go [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])

[ June 11, 2002: Message edited by: Aiwyn of the Eorlingas ]
"But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn am I, Éomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him!" -Éowyn, The Battle of Pelennor Fields

Find a penny, pick it up, all day long you'll have...a penny.

There are approximatley 170 days until the release of 'The Two Towers'...ARRRRRRGGG!!!!!

Thank you for not smoking
Aiwyn of the Eorlingas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 07:43 PM   #31
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Was that really a trivia question? This is a quiz room, I think you are supposed to ask a question, then the person who gets it correct continues.

I'll ask another question to keep this thread moving.

What is another name for Curunir?
Old 06-15-2002, 03:49 AM   #32
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

White-Hand

Saruman
Old 06-15-2002, 07:21 AM   #33
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

Sting

Saruman, Curumo
Old 06-16-2002, 03:56 PM   #34
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Yup, Saruman was correct. He might have other names as well, but you only needed to say one. Nev, your turn.
Old 06-18-2002, 03:35 AM   #35
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

Sting

must be faster, must be faster
Old 06-18-2002, 06:58 AM   #36
pippin_took0
Haunting Spirit

pippin_took0 has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

This may seem wierd, but it is Nev here (I'm having problems signing in, so I'm loged on as my sister).

My question is: How many of the Ainur chose to enter the World as Valar?
pippin_took0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 11:42 AM   #37
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

15 Valar
Old 06-19-2002, 04:52 AM   #38
pippin_took0
Haunting Spirit

White-Hand

Close but not quite.
Old 06-19-2002, 07:07 AM   #39
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

Sting

15, but Morgoth wasn't counted among them in later times.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:42 AM   #40
pippin_took0
Haunting Spirit

White-Hand

Correct! Your turn.