The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2007, 03:23 AM   #521
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Nope...

We are actually speaking about someone living, non inanimate object or place... so no kind of trick like that one... but still, it is no name in the meaning of a name that would you'll find in one's identity card.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:09 PM   #522
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I would say Azog, because he killed Thror, like Sauron's servants killed Isildur. But that's a name. And I could see it on a passport... "Azog of Khazad-dum, ID#2542".

And I would say the Elven Smiths of Eregion, because I think it was they who forged the Seven, like Sauron forged the One. But they aren't an individual.

A name like "the Witch-king", or Nazgul, seems to fit, except I see no connection to Thror.

EDIT: I think I have it! Dain I was Thror's father, and he was killed by a dragon, I believe.

Elendil was Isildur's father, and he was killed by...Sauron!

So the answer is...dragon!

Maybe... :P

Last edited by Beregond; 05-10-2007 at 01:14 PM.
Beregond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:51 PM   #523
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Thumbs up

Azog it was not, because Azog killed Thrór, but Sauron himself it was not who killed Isildur...

But believe it or not, you found the correct answer!
Yes, the answer was THE one dragon, the "cold-drake" who killed Dáin I., just as by Sauron's hand was killed Isildur's father.

Please continue the thread
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 05-10-2007, 02:01 PM   #524
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Wow, yay!

Alright....

Smeagol is to Hithaeglir

as

Arvedui is to ______.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:03 PM   #525
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Hmmm... Forochel?

Sméagol escaped the Stoor villages and hid in Hithaeglir, the same did Arvedui when he escaped from Fornost. Or, it could be even the "unnamed abandoned dwarven mines" where Arvedui was hiding at certain time...
Old 05-10-2007, 02:06 PM   #526
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Not Forochel....but..your other guesses hit so near I must almost give it to you...but...give me more information.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:08 PM   #527
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

So it's not Forochel? I meant, of course, not Forochel, since it is a bay, but the land around there, Lossoth village, and so on?
Old 05-10-2007, 02:10 PM   #528
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Ah, no, the entire Forochel part was wrong. It was the last part of your guess that hit close.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:13 PM   #529
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Well, if I recall correctly, the Dwarven mines were in the north of the mountains, I'd have to check it but I believe there is not explicitely said where, but it looks like it was somewhere on the edge of the mountains of Angmar or something like that... so actually, also part of the Misty Mountains.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:32 PM   #530
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
No...the mines were still in the Blue Mountains, and afterwards he lived on the shore of the Icebay of Forochel.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:39 PM   #531
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

The Might, you're right, but for the question note that I said Hithaeglir instead of Misty Mountains...
Old 05-10-2007, 02:41 PM   #532
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Okay, I looked it up, and it says:
Quote:
But King Arvedui held out upon the North Downs until the last, and then fled north with some of his guard; and they escaped by the swiftness of their horses.
For a while Arvedui hid in the tunnels of the old dwarf-mines near the far end of the Mountains, but he was driven at last by hunger to seek the help of the Lossoth, the Snowmen of Forochel.
Since the North Downs are about half way from the Misty to the Blue mountains (and maybe a little bit closer to the Misty), and there are not any Mountains mentioned earlier (just "Mountains"), we can only speculate what Mountains these were. But I was always under the impression that it was the end of the Misty Mountains, or the Mountains of Angmar, because to get to Ered Luin, Arvedui would have to cross Lune and before, go around - or through - Emyn Uial, which doesn't seem logical because he could as well flee to Mithlond and not complicate the matters any more. But we are also told about "swiftness of horses", and going through or around Emyn Uial on horses is not much of a bonus, however on the vast plains between North Downs and the Misty Mountains (or mountains of Angmar) the horses could use their speed well, as later were by the Witch-King himself in his pursuit by Glorfindel.
Also, there is some strange sort of mountains or hills depicted on the LotR map just west of the mountains of Angmar, and since it seems unlikely that the King will on his flight willingly get near the enemy's capitol of Carn Dum, the Dwarven mines could as well be there.

EDIT: Cross-posted. Hmm...

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 05-10-2007 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:46 PM   #533
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

I would not have thought he would get even that close... and I assumed it was the Mountains of Ered Luin, but now you've left me wondering if that's true. Ered Luin was what I was looking for anyway, the Sindarin name of the mountains that I thought Arvedui hid under, but since I may be wrong, it was a poor question!

Legate, I will say you got it because you first mentioned the old dwarf mines.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:01 PM   #534
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Well, this is sort of troubling, since if you were looking for Ered Luin, then I'd say Miggy got it. But... probably if we don't know for sure where the mines were, and if you don't want to use your right as the riddle-poster to say "for MY riddle, THIS answer is correct", then... ah, whatever, let the thread move - it will surely swap between us more times, so...

Isildur is to Gil-Galad

as

Túrin is to _______
Old 05-10-2007, 03:08 PM   #535
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Ah, yes, sorry if I was a little unfair, Miggy, wasn't intended.

I would say Turgon, because he was the reigning High King of the Noldor during Turin's lifetime, just as Gil-Galad was the High King of the Noldor for the most part of Isildur's lifetime.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:13 PM   #536
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
maybe Finwe
Isildur killed Sauron and so avenged Gil-galad
It has been prophesized that Turin would kill Melkor, and would thus avenge Finwe
Why I picked him is because both he and Gil-galad were High Kings of the Noldor
Old 05-10-2007, 03:19 PM   #537
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Beregond: Fine, but it's not that general (many people lived at the same time - this works both ways, it is more personal).
Mig: Good idea, you did well to bring Sauron between them, though it's not what I was looking for.

It's personal - so it relates to the people who really were in contact.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:07 PM   #538
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

My first guess was Thingol, but I don't have a real reason and it feels stupid.

I keep going back to the relationships between fathers, particularly because Elendil and Gil-Galad died in battle together. Perhaps something to do with Hurin, though I'm not sure what? But then Hurin outlived Turin... and Elendil died before Isildur.
I also keep getting the images of the broken Anduril and Gurthang, though they were broken in different ways, and Gurthang was actually Turin's...

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:55 AM   #539
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Well, I might say you are, how should I say it, not knocking, but running around the right door
Old 05-18-2007, 11:01 AM   #540
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Okay, let's see if I'm barking up the wrong tree...

Isildur's father Elendil fought against Sauron (at Orodruin) with Gil-Galad.
Meanwhile,
Turin's father Hurin fought against Morgoth (at Thangorodrim) with Fingon.

They were both crucial battles of their Age... but I'm not sure if Hurin -> Fingon is quite as strong of a tie as Gil-Galad -> Elendil.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:18 AM   #541
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Too complicated. So, the answer is no.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:14 AM   #542
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Maybe Beleg
Just as Elendil's (and then Isildur's) sword and Gil-galad's spear fought against Sauron, so did Turin's sword and Beleg's bow fight against Morgoth.
The idea is that all 4 all well known weapons.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:05 AM   #543
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Nope.

Let's make it easier by widening the range (hopefully):

Isildur is to Gil-Galad and Elendil

as

Túrin is to _______ and ________
Old 05-29-2007, 05:13 AM   #544
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Well, I guess my idea about Isildur avenging Elendil and Gil-galad by cutting the Ring off Sauron's hand makes sense.

But Sauron was not killed, so I can't think of anyone Turin avenged without killing someone else.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:39 PM   #545
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

So then you must leave the idea of avenging, eh? Now it's not that hard (or I believe - but really, it isn't). Just think what else did Elendil&Gil-Galad in common in relation to Isildur - and think of the same with Túrin...
Old 06-04-2007, 05:53 PM   #546
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Oh, why not: Huor!

Old 06-05-2007, 03:09 AM   #547
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Oh, why not, but it's wrong But anyway, we are looking for two names now... and it's far easier then I think...
Old 06-05-2007, 12:28 PM   #548
Shards of Narsil
Animated Skeleton

Shards of Narsil has just left Hobbiton.
How about Hurin and Thingol? Thingol was king of Doriath and Hurin was the leader of men at the time, as Gil-galad was king of Lindon and Elendil was king of men.
Shards of Narsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:00 PM   #549
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Eee. Not what I had in mind (and someone I think already guessed very similar thing).

Hint: Clear your mind. Now close your eyes and imagine these three together. What scenery do you see?
Old 06-05-2007, 02:00 PM   #550
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Well I see Elendil and Gil-galad dying, then Isildur coming and avenging them.
In the same way I'd see Turing avenge maybe Morwen and Nienor.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:22 PM   #551
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Well, but Morwen was still alive So no, that's not it.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:34 PM   #552
Shards of Narsil
Animated Skeleton

Ah, so in keeping with TM's theme, then Turin would be avenging Finduilas and Beleg?
Old 06-05-2007, 03:52 PM   #553
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Beleg? *cough* Well, he ultimately did "avenge" him, but Isildur surely didn't kill himself, you know. Sort of mixing apples and oranges here (uh? Which one is what, I wonder?). So, no. But I hope this chain of thoughts might hit someone with posing himself the right question.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:24 PM   #554
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye I think I've read "Of Turin Turambar" fifty times now

Okey doke, this might be a little bit of a stretch. But in both cases a v. important sword was involved, and everyone involved died. Hopefully this is at least the right scenario, and I've just picked the wrong characters...

Gil-Galad and Elendil died fighting Sauron, whom Isildur managed to destroy. (Elendil just happened to be Isildur's father.)

Meanwhile,

Hunthor and Nienor died fighting Glaurung, whom Turin managed to destroy. (Nienor just happened to be Turin's sister.)

Old 06-15-2007, 04:35 AM   #555
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Thumbs up Finally...

Okay. Take the thread, please.

From the beginning I was looking for Hunthor, who was Túrin's companion in the final battle with Glaurung, but died. The same happened in the "kill Sauron" scenario: only Isildur survived, and he was the one who killed Sauron.

I would accept Dorlas as the second answer as well. But the main thing was about Hunthor.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:23 AM   #556
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Hmm...I was thinking about that, but didn't think about Hunthor.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:23 PM   #557
Shards of Narsil
Animated Skeleton

I knew it!

I had Hunthor in my head and thought it would fit, but for some reason didn't post. Probably because Legate was laughing at me.

Any way, good job Beanamir!
Old 06-16-2007, 09:15 AM   #558
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye Thankee, Shards!

Wow, I can't believe Hunthor was the right answer. Good riddle, Legate!
Okay, this one is probably pretty easy. It might require explanation, though.

Frodo is to Grishnakh

as

Beren is to ________

Old 06-17-2007, 02:31 AM   #559
FeRaL sHaDoW
Wight

FeRaL sHaDoW has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to FeRaL sHaDoW
is it

Frodo is to Grishnakh

as

Beren is to Morgoth
Old 06-17-2007, 08:50 AM   #560
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

I'd rather say Sauron.
Grishnakh was trying to find the Ring-bearer (Frodo), out of Sauron's orders just as
Sauron tryed to find Beren out of Melkor's orders.