The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2006, 04:07 AM   #681
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
No one's active, I see.

So, tell me, what do

Finrod Felagund
Thráin
Beren
Frodo

have in common?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 03:43 AM   #682
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
They were all, at one point, captured in a by the Enemy? (all in a tower, I might add)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 01:20 AM   #683
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

That's true.

I'm not sure whether you refer to Sauron as "the Enemy" (as I thought the answer to be) or to both Melkor and Sauron, but anyway, feel welcome to take the thread.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:47 AM   #684
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I refer to Sauron, I just didn't want to write him as person because it might be little bit confusing, since it was him personally who captured Beren and Felagund; and in the case of Frodo and Thráin he was not personally involved in the capture.

Okay, what do these characters have in common:

Aragorn
Frodo
Gollum
the Lord of the Ringwraith
Sam

"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 12-15-2006, 02:58 PM   #685
mhagain
Wight

mhagain has just left Hobbiton.
They all went under different identities at some point?

Aragorn as Thorongil, Frodo as Mr Underhill, Gollum as Smeagol, Lord of the Ringwraiths as The Witch King of Angmar, and Sam as a great elvish warrior.

It's stretching it but all I can think of...
mhagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 03:54 PM   #686
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Nice attempt, but it is not what I meant. And I wouldn't consider the great elf warrior being Sam's other identity, it certainly was not an alter ego he adopted, when someone saw him regularly, he definitely could not believe his disguise any longer But you have good points which can serve as good clues. Any other guesses?
Old 12-17-2006, 10:05 AM   #687
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Probably it's a stupid guess...but here goes: maybe they were all alive during the War of the Ring
Old 12-17-2006, 04:10 PM   #688
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might
Probably it's a stupid guess...but here goes: maybe they were all alive during the War of the Ring
As well as Arwen, Bilbo, Círdan, Dáin, Elrond, Faramir, Gandalf, Haldir, Imrahil, Legolas, Mablung, Nob, Orofin, Pippin, Radagast, Sauron, Treebeard, Uglúk... not speaking of many others. Nope. The thing they have in common is specific for them.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:21 PM   #689
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
hmmm...seems every time I find something that fits 4 of them the 5th is different
it is perhaps wrong, I'll try still
they all passed through the Dead Marshes
Aragorn when he captured Gollum, Gollum leading Sam and Frodo, and the WK on his foul beast
Old 12-18-2006, 12:34 AM   #690
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
hmmm...seems every time I find something that fits 4 of them the 5th is different
it is perhaps wrong, I'll try still
they all passed through the Dead Marshes
Aragorn when he captured Gollum, Gollum leading Sam and Frodo, and the WK on his foul beast
You are getting close. But there is no direct mention in the books that WK passed through the Dead Marches. Why I put them together is based on real evidence you can find in the books.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:01 PM   #691
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

hmm...this is probably easy, but I somehow can't find the answer...

maybe because they all looked for Gollum
the WK was sent to find him
Aragorn as well, and Frodo and Sam when they sometimes lost him...
still, again they don't seem to be the only ones that did that
Old 12-18-2006, 02:50 PM   #692
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Indeed, they were not the only ones. And Gollum certainly didn't look for himself (well, maybe he could, considering his dual identity). And again, it is not stated in the books that WK personally did search for Gollum - I could write "all the Nine" instead of just him. This might help you. My source is real evidence. I am saying that the thing they have in common is stated in the book explicitely. If it were, for example, that they all smoked pipeweed, I will place it here in the case that it was said in the book at some place, like: "...and WK was sitting there, smoking pipe", "And Frodo said: 'I'm going to take a smoke.'" - so: no deductions, no generalizations - you can read in the books about the thing they had in common (I hope I managed to explain it so that it is understandable).
Old 12-18-2006, 03:15 PM   #693
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

perhaps because they all took the Morgul Road
Old 12-18-2006, 03:34 PM   #694
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Yeesss! You made it They all walked "the dark valley of Morgul"... congratulations, it's your turn now
Old 12-18-2006, 04:23 PM   #695
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

hmm...strange, I had though about that some time ago, but I thought that might be wrong, since Gothmog did as well...

anyway...
What do these characters have in common:
Beor
Aldor
Grimbeorn
Old 12-18-2006, 04:46 PM   #696
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

They were all old (I mean, called "Old"...)
Old 12-18-2006, 05:05 PM   #697
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

hmm...I knew I should have picked something more difficult
correct
Old 12-19-2006, 09:28 AM   #698
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
hmm...I knew I should have picked something more difficult
correct
Okay, I got the feeling now someone might think it seems that the two of us are attempting to take over this thread, so...
so take all the steps necessary. After that we can launch two assaults separately, PM me what thread will be the next target.
...so I'll just, erm, post another question, what do you... I mean, all you other people... say.

So, what do these people have in common?

Barliman Butterbur
Bill Ferny
Éowyn
Fatty Bolger
Farmer Maggot
Frodo
Gaffer Gamgee
Gandalf
Gríma Wormtongue
Nob
Saruman
Old 12-19-2006, 11:08 AM   #699
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

I am not sure, but I guess they all talked to the Nazgul
Old 12-19-2006, 11:14 AM   #700
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Correct! Okay, I think our plan works just fine thus far... Your turn now.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:36 AM   #701
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

lol...it wasn't this hard now, since Eowyn and Bill Ferny don't really have much in common

Anyway, what do these people have in common:

Hilda Bracegirdle
Thrain II
Marmadas Brandybuck
Old 12-19-2006, 11:51 AM   #702
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

They had three children?
Old 12-19-2006, 11:59 AM   #703
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

correct...I expected it to be more difficult...
next one please
Old 12-19-2006, 02:33 PM   #704
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Sting

Erm, have you considered what are we going to say to the others when they see this thread...

Anyway... okay. So, again, what do these... people... have in common:

Bilbo Baggins
Celebrimbor
Círdan
Gil-Galad
Thrór
Old 12-19-2006, 03:50 PM   #705
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

they all possesed Rings of Power...
Old 12-20-2006, 06:35 AM   #706
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

More people also did and they are not on the list.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:05 AM   #707
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

They all posessed a ring of power and gave it away.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:23 AM   #708
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Thumbs up Correct!

Correct! Gave away willingly, if I wanted to be precise. But great, your turn now!
Old 12-20-2006, 07:48 AM   #709
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
Gave away willingly, if I wanted to be precise.
Well, that's what I meant. If I had wanted that they gave it away unwillingly, I probably would have said "it was taken from them". But anyway, enough about that, I have a habit of confuising people with my broken English.

So, what about:
Daeron
Maeglin
Ted Sandyman in the movies
Gwindor
Celebrimbor

Anyone who makes up a good theory can take the thread since I probably won't be around before next year to tell which is correct. This is so easy you should be able to figure out if your guess is correct or not.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:47 AM   #710
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
They were all slain? Or perhaps they were all betrayed?
Old 12-20-2006, 01:30 PM   #711
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Eye

they all betrayed others
Old 12-29-2006, 10:21 AM   #712
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Thinlómien ?
almost 10 days have passed...
Old 01-04-2007, 07:29 AM   #713
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I did say that someone with a proper answer can take it up... But since I'm back, never mind that.

No, no and no.

And I though that was an easy one!
Old 01-04-2007, 04:20 PM   #714
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Palantir-Green

strange...I mixed Daeron with Saeros the first time....
but now that I realised who Daeron really is, I have absolutely no idea...
maybe they all made poems ?
Old 01-05-2007, 01:15 PM   #715
Amras Oronar

Amras Oronar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Amras Oronar
Hmm.... I looked over a few old ones, and a lot of them I knew, but this ones a complete riddle for me...

Last edited by Amras Oronar; 01-05-2007 at 01:26 PM.
Amras Oronar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:39 AM   #716
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Okay, you'll have a hint.

In order to be able to know about Celembrimbor, you need to have read the Unfinished Tales.
In order to know about Ted Sandyman in the movies you need to have seen the extended editions.

So focus on Daeron, Maeglin and Gwindor if you're not sure you know the others.

The list is not actually comprehensive or near to perfect. I could add Celegorm and Brandir on it, and I'd probably be still forgetting some people.

So, what do
Daeron
Maeglin
Ted Sandyman in the movies
Gwindor
Celebrimbor
Celegorm
Brandir
have in common?

Does this help at all?
Old 01-07-2007, 11:01 AM   #717
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

They were all in love with someone who loved someone else. I haven't seen the extended, so this brings me to... Ted Sandyman was after Rosie? That fits to the typical movie storyline, I suppose
Otherwise, Daeron => Lúthien; Maeglin => Idril; Gwindor => Finduilas; Celebrimbor => Galadriel; Celegorm => Lúthien; Brandir => Nienor.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:28 AM   #718
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Cheers, Legate! I knew it was not that difficult. Feel free to take the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
I haven't seen the extended, so this brings me to... Ted Sandyman was after Rosie? That fits to the typical movie storyline, I suppose
A correct guess. Thankfully it was not emphasized too much.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:06 AM   #719
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

White Tree

Okay, I apologize for the longer delay. What do these people have in common:

Finrod
Orodreth
Thranduil

Note: There's not only one thing they have in common, actually, there are three things - I want all three of them, since just single one of them is not significant. I hope this is not against rules, but the separate things are not so hard to think of. So, just try to think what do these people have in common, and do it three times, then add it together. Nothing so much hard. (one of these things is pretty obvious, I might add)
Old 01-14-2007, 10:56 AM   #720
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

- they all lived in caves
- they all travelled eastward to their future realms
- they all had problems caused by dragons