The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-29-2002, 05:42 PM   #1
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Silmaril Close encounters with strange fans!!!!!

Has anything as weird as this ever happened to you?
I was standing in a FOUR-HOUR LINE at the DMV (I could go on an angry tangent here, but I won't), minding my business, and reading LOTR for the first time.
A man in front of me who looked suspiciously like a serial killer suddenly turned around, glanced at the book I was reading, and said:
"Ya know, it's funny that you're reading this, because you look exactly like Galadriel. I did these improvised sketches of her, and you could be the inspiration behind them, but I've never met you before. Would you like to come over and let me show them to you sometime? I mean, look at your eyes! Your forehead! Your cheekbones! If only you're hair was brigher. Maybe we could dress you up in a white gown!"
Needless to say, the only thing that prevented me from high-tailing it out of there was the fact that I had stood in line for two hours already, and didn't want to let the time go to waste.
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Does strange stuff like this only happen to me?
Old 06-29-2002, 06:02 PM   #2
The Fifth
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Fifth has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to The Fifth Send a message via AIM to The Fifth
Sting

Serial killer? Galadriel? 4 hours? Nothing that strange has happened to me, sorry.

[ June 29, 2002: Message edited by: The Fifth ]
- Ringwraith #5,
Servant of the Eye
The Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 07:03 PM   #3
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Yike. Me, neither.
Quote:
Aragorn tended to Sam and Frodo. Sam's wound was not deep, but it looked ugly, and Aragorn's face was grave as he examined it. After a moment he looked up with relief. "Good luck, Sam!" he said, "Many have recieved worse than this in payment for the slaying of their first Orc. "
The Beginnings of My First LOTR Based Story [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 09:03 PM   #4
NazgulNumber10
Wight

NazgulNumber10 has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

yes he dresses you up then puts you in a well to later use you skin in a female body suit. Lush, that was buffalo bill!!!
that didn't make sense unless you've seen the silence of the lambs, but then again, who hasen't?
[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
NazgulNumber10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 08:25 AM   #5
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

Oh creepy! Nope, nothing like that has ever happened to me, thank goodness! The closest I've got to that is when I dressed up in Elven clothing with my friends as hobbits, and on the train we had about 7 people reciting lines from the film and books at us.

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 09:48 AM   #6
Lush
Fair and Cold

Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
I just attribute it to madness at the DMV. People go nuts there on any given day. Though a Tolkien-nut was a first for me.
Old 06-30-2002, 10:38 AM   #7
dragongirlG
Wight

dragongirlG has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh, Lush, how scary!

Nothing has happened to me. I think I might have freaked out my English class by showing them the One Ring that I got from a bookmark, but that's about it.
dragongirlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 12:51 PM   #8
Lush
Fair and Cold

Sting

Buffallo Bill didn't dress up his victims, he dressed up himself.
Old 06-30-2002, 01:02 PM   #9
NazgulNumber10
Wight

The Eye

you seem to know alot about buffalo bill.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....
Old 06-30-2002, 08:57 PM   #10
Catherine
Shade of Carn Dûm

Catherine has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Lush thats really scary that something like that happened!! Thats really strange! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
I don't think I should have had the heart to leave it."
~Merry to Haldir in Lothlórien~
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 10:04 PM   #11
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hey Lush, why didn't you go over, he seemed like a very nice man [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
That's freaky though! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

[ July 01, 2002: Message edited by: Lothiriel Silmarien ]
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 10:10 PM   #12
Lush
Fair and Cold

Sting

It had to have been the single-most weird thing that happened to me all winter. And the more I think about it, the more it gives me the creeps. I mean, at first I thought he was just being cute. But...eh...you know...Who knew that Tolkien could be used for sinister purposes? Heh.
And blimey, how could I forget? That very same day, a little boy spoke Elvish to me. Fortunately, he didn't invite me over to his house to practice his language skills. Yeesh!

[ July 01, 2002: Message edited by: Lush ]
Old 07-01-2002, 06:14 AM   #13
NazgulNumber10
Wight

The Eye

HURRY! lock your doors! the sleepers awake!
lush, those people.....
(nn10 gets some coffee and calms down)
what was i talking about
Old 07-01-2002, 07:06 AM   #14
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Quote:
That very same day, a little boy spoke Elvish to me
Did you reply? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 11:22 AM   #15
Lush
Fair and Cold

Sting

I didn't reply, because I had no idea what he was saying, and was exhausted from standing in line, and freaked out by the people in it. The kid was just like, "Oh, you're reading my favorite book! Mueghk ghoekahdh laghoristoile..." Or whatever it was he was babbling. I'm sure he was saying something really nice though. Maybe. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Looking back on this incident, I am beginning to feel increasingly sorry for the people who acted in PJ's movie. They will probably have encounters like these for the rest of their lives. Ah, me...
Old 07-02-2002, 04:03 PM   #16
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

wow, Lush, that's really creepy!

The only thing like that that's ever happened to me (though it's not nearly as scary) is when i was getting a tour of my new high school, one of the teachers had pictures of Arwen (from the movie) all over the walls in his office. I just thought that was kind of strange...
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Galadrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 04:10 PM   #17
Lush
Fair and Cold

Sting

The teacher probably a scholar the aesthetics of the human face. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Nah, he just had a thing for Liv Tyler. Though it's a little weird for a teacher to be expressing himself like that in front of young studens...
Old 07-02-2002, 04:59 PM   #18
Lady_Galadriel
Wight

Lady_Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lady_Galadriel
Sting

all those are really creepy... I've never had something like that happen to me, but something less creepy.
today I went to the public library with my sis and brother. my brother and i were walking down one of the rows and saw a Lotr poster of frodo. it said "read. make it a hobbit." well my brother, (who has never seen lotr) asked me who that was. i replied frodo. then all of a sudden this short kid came over and started rambling on to me about lotr. he like never stopped. it was scary
Old 07-02-2002, 05:05 PM   #19
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Quote:
I am beginning to feel increasingly sorry for the people who acted in PJ's movie. They will probably have encounters like these for the rest of their lives.
I can just imagine it- Elijah Wood, age 75, walking down the aisle in the grocery store, minding his own bussiness, when suddenly, a group of half-crazed 60-year-old women rush up to him saying, "Look! It's Frodo! Wow, you're a lot taller in person! Do you really have hairy feet? Why didn't you keep that hairstyle? We stopped buying gold rings because of that movie, and we're soo glad we did; we don't want to be enslaved. Hey, where are you going?" As Elijah Wood runs as fast as his 75-year-old legs can carry him.
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 12:00 PM   #20
Uruloki
Pile O'Bones

Uruloki has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

LMAO! That picture of a 75 yr old elijah is gonna stick in my mind all day..........

Nothing as weird as what happened to you has happened to me but on this one forum there was this one apperently really rich guy that said when he left colledge he was gonna go into a buisiness with his uncle to create an elven haven. I think thewy are gonna create a parc type thing (some kind of holiday camp) where people can come and be elves for the weekend. Interesting, yet strangely attractive idea, though quite weird!lol
Uruloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 12:54 PM   #21
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Ack! When he's 75, I'll be 85...... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] Heh, he'll probably still look like a cute little kid to me..... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Quote:
"Oh, Mister Frodo, that's hard!" said Sam, shivering. "That's hard, trying to go without me and all. If I hadn't a guessed right, where would you be now? "

[ July 03, 2002: Message edited by: Samwise ]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 07-03-2002, 04:12 PM   #22
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Losthuniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

that elf haven is a cool idea, but ui have a feeling it would be highly over-commercialized. w/e
Losthuniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 05:32 PM   #23
QuickSlash
Wight

QuickSlash has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to QuickSlash Send a message via Yahoo to QuickSlash
Sting

o.O Shows you to never go to the DMV alone. I am in a small, not very Tolkien-crazed area, so I have never had any freaky experiances. o.O
Old 02-08-2003, 10:28 AM   #24
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Freakish. Well, I've heard from someone else that some girl put on her site: Pippin just got back and told me Legolas had gone to war and was badly hurt. Please please pray for him I know God will help him.
Come on! Now THAT is creepy. Praying for someone who isnt even real?
(Thanx to elentari II [heh heh] for that bit of info)
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 09:40 PM   #25
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes the DMV is a scary place, all the people who work there always seem like disgruntled state employees (which they probably are) I was so happy after I got my drivers license just because I would never have to go back there for a very long time.
Well back to the topic...
I am so sorry that happened, that is weird, and freaky [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] . I would have ran far away from there. I have thankfully never had anything like that happen to me. The only encounters with Tolkien fans have been very casual. (Gosh, I hope none of the people on this site are like that [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] )
Old 02-10-2003, 10:30 PM   #26
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Several miles over the madness horizon and accelerating
Bekah has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Bekah
Sting

Elijah Wood 75??? I would be...*does rapid calculation*...umm...roughly 66 yrs old. More or less. When I had a crush on him I worked it out exactly but I've forgotten now. Oh well.

Horse-maiden - I, in turn, recieved that piece of info from Shy Hobbit. Scary though.

The guy who accosted you, Lush, might have been nice...you never know...not that I would have trusted him.

I've never been to DMV, nor do I know what it stands for. I live in NZ. Anyone mind explaining?

Nothing that creepy has happened to me...and as for people who freak others out with non-stop talk about LOTR - I'm probably that person. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~ Elentari II

[ February 10, 2003: Message edited by: Bekah ]
Bekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 10:33 PM   #27
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

The DMV is the Department of Motor Vehichles, where one in the States goes to get driver's liscences and take written driver's tests and the like...and they are notorious for their looooooooooooooooooooooong lines. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
When Little Mr. Wood is that old...eh...I'll be way older! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2003, 10:35 PM   #28
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Oh, thanks!! That should help me, 'cos now I'll know what people mean when they refer to DMV. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Don't rub my age in. Just because I'm a lot younger than you... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~ Elentari II
Old 02-10-2003, 10:38 PM   #29
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Sorry, didn't mean to. It's just that knowing the Little One is as young as he is makes me feel old.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:41 PM   #30
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

It's alright. Gotta go, though.

~ Elentari II [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2003, 11:30 PM   #31
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Samwise, plenty of years left to feel old, so don't start overly soon!

Bekah, if my math is right that makes you 12, is that correct? I would never have guessed it, you come across more mature, that's great. I think I was still playing with GI Joe at that age... [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]

Lush, that guy was obviously insane... you look nothing like Galadriel...

[ February 11, 2003: Message edited by: Tar-Palantir ]
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 12:03 AM   #32
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

No, just thirteen. I was born on 14 December 1989. Heaps of people reckon I'm older than I am, even, or rather especially, those who've actually seen me. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~ Elentari II, whose family is insane.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:25 PM   #33
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Actually, Tar-Palantir, your maths would be wrong. I said if EW was 75, I'd be 66. That leaves an 11 years difference. EW is 22 now. 22 - 11 = 13.

~ Elentari II
Old 02-11-2003, 04:30 PM   #34
Naurwen_of_Lothlorien
Haunting Spirit

Naurwen_of_Lothlorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Naurwen_of_Lothlorien
Sting

22-11=11...

sorry just thought I put that in...

yours apologetically,

Naurwen.
Naurwen_of_Lothlorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 04:31 PM   #35
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

That's so creepy, Lush, I'm sorry! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Actually, I'm the one scaring everyone else with my LotR insanity. If I got my friends on this site you'd hear some interesting stories.......
Old 02-11-2003, 04:34 PM   #36
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Now you see how bad my maths is. I meant that there was a 9 year difference, and 22 - 9 = 13. Gee, I'm really dumb sometimes...

~ Elentari II
Old 02-11-2003, 04:46 PM   #37
Naurwen_of_Lothlorien
Haunting Spirit

Naurwen_of_Lothlorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Naurwen_of_Lothlorien
Sting

It happens to the best of us, Elentari [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] . My maths isn't great either...I'm more of an english person...but anyway, that's off topic. Lush, that must have been pretty creepy, but he might have just been being friendly! I, personally, would take it as a complement, although I would have politely turned down his kind offer.

Yours un-mathematically

Naurwen

[ February 11, 2003: Message edited by: Naurwen_of_Lothlorien ]

[ February 11, 2003: Message edited by: Naurwen_of_Lothlorien ]
Naurwen_of_Lothlorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 04:56 PM   #38
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

Quote:
That very same day, a little boy spoke Elvish to me
I do that all the time, I like to watch people stare.

And you do look a bit like Galadriel..hmm....
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 05:41 PM   #39
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I agree with Naurwen. I mean, you couldn't exactly go along with his offer, 'cos you never know with some weirdos...but he didn't actually assault you or do anything horrible. He seemed like he was just being a friendly LOTR-fan. Although I would, as Naurwen suggested, politely turn down his offer of using you as a Galadriel model. It'd be a nice offer if you actually knew him well.

~ Elentari II
Old 02-11-2003, 06:26 PM   #40
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hm.....EW is 22....im 14....22....minus 14.....is.........erm...CALCULATOR!
Lol jk. But yeah being me SUCKS because I look like im 12! Whenever i ask people how old they think i am they say "Uhhhh 12?"grr angers me!
BUT i still havent had any LotR experiences. Well, except for once when I screamed "AI AI A BALROG IS COME!" at my friend and dove into the snow. Dont ask.
Hey why are those people staring at me?
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote