The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-13-2002, 09:02 PM   #1
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Analyze This dream

Thought this would make an unusual thread, though I don't know what direction it will take.

My boyfriend (who never read the books but saw the movie) woke up with following:

Quote:
"Well.. I dreamed.. I felt I was that Aragorn guy. I was in a courtyard, a wall behind me, holding this big-*** sword, almost as long as I was tall. And I knew I knew how to use it. I was just standing there, waiting to take on evil, though I wasn't sure what form it was going to take. And I was like - "C'mon! Bring it on! Yeah!"
I also sorta wanted whatever it was to hurry up, because the sword was getting heavy.

Oh - the sword was the same style as the broken one, (not the one Aragorn had in the movie) but it wasn't broken of course."
He didn't know the sword-that-was-broken was reforged, since they didn't mention it in the movie. It's been a month since the movie.

(Given his job he has consistent military dreams, but modern combat, never anything like this.)

I was curious what insights you folks might have.

[ February 13, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 02-13-2002, 09:27 PM   #2
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting

Whoa... That is too weird (yet extremely funny). Well, I can't give you any sort of dream analasys (Frued was a crackpot anyway; don't believe a thing he said). Can I tell you about any of my LotR dreams?
Old 02-13-2002, 09:59 PM   #3
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

Freud had some interesting ideas, though I don't agree with about 85% of them. I think he was doing a little too much coke by the end, if you ask me.
As for the dream itself...It is uncanny. Perhaps Middle Earth is reaching out to your BF there, Maril With the Long, Lovely but Confusing Name. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Maybe he will soon be planting trees, and befriending guys in pointy hats.
Come to think of it, I once had a dream that I met Legolas in the Glittering Caves. We promptly kicked Gimli out the door, and went on to do some exploration of our own. Of the caves, I mean. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] What did you think I meant, eh?
Old 02-13-2002, 11:58 PM   #4
Elendur
Wight

Elendur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elendur
Sting

I very rarely have dreams that I remember. Ofcourse everyone dreams every night, but its all about if you remember them. The few that I remember were either extremely odd and made no sense (Me flowing down a huge river of lava on a raft with T-Rexs and killer cats waiting in the basement) or are.. personaly, if you know what I mean. I seem to remember those very explicitly [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

As for your boyfreinds dream, I have a few theories as to why he would have such a dream, but no theories about its meaning. For instance, if he has every played a computer game called Final Fantasy 7 (Which has a main character with a huge sword that is as tall as he is) it would make sense that he would incorporate the hilt of Narsil and connect that huge blade onto it. Just a wild theory, but I have nothing better. It is very odd that he would have imagined the sword not being broken. And it is odd that he would have a dream about a sword that was barely in the movie at all. I dont know. It is much too confusing to stereotype dreams in any way. To me, my dreams often have no meaning behind them at all. Sometimes I will watch a TV show and then have a weird dream about a character in it for no reason whatsoever.

I hope this didn't help and only confused you more, Lush. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2002, 12:14 AM   #5
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Since you implied that your boyfriend may have some involvement in the military, and considering the very confusing, threatening times we're living through right now, sounds like he's relating to a time where Good and Evil were more easily defined, and a Good Man with a sword could make a difference in the world.

Or maybe he just wants to kick some good ol' Middle Ages a**! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 06:20 AM   #6
Elendil of Donareo

Sting

Well I don't know about your dream my dear, but my collegue fancies meeting all the people he does not like in a ring with either a sword or gimli's axe.

I think he may(that is your boyfriend) just linking the story which you must have told him about with whatever brutal mood he was in at the time of dream.

My name is certainly not Freud.
Old 02-14-2002, 07:07 AM   #7
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

Sexual aggression? [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Actually I quite liked Introductory Lectures in Psychoanalysis. He backs his theories up with plenty of evidence, and if irrational hysteria really is the result of sexual frustration it explains a lot about Saturday nights. Oh; I'm back to medieval combat again...
Old 02-14-2002, 02:03 PM   #8
amyrlis
Wight

amyrlis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey Maril, just out of curiousity, is your boyfriend actually in the military? I'm just wondering because my husband is.

I have strange dreams all the time that I usually remember when I first wake up, then lose in a few minutes, but none of them are ever about Tolkien stuff - I wish they were! Last night I dreamt that my dinner reservations for tonight got mysteriously switched from 7:30 to 5:30 and I couldn't make it in time! Was so glad to wake up and realize that my Valentine's dinner had not really been spoiled!
Old 02-14-2002, 02:30 PM   #9
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

(Coming from someone who has made extensive studies in this area)

Dreams are mixtures of thought processes. If you drem, for example about a rabbit, sometime that day, month or even year, you have thought of a rabbit, maybr not conciously, but an image of a rabbit has crossed your thoughts. Your brain stores all of these incase it is needed again (particularly in well trained, disiplined or photographic memories or in people who pay attention to detail). After a time your brain does a "sort out" or "tidy up" of all the recent thoughts so old thoughts are dragged up and some are rejected. It is these thoughts that make up dreams. The dreams we remember are dreamt in "half-sleep", a stage of sleep that is just inside consiousness. Your brain, thinks that these thoughts are thought when you are still awake, so stores them again (thus explaining repeated dreams) and when you wake up again, this is what you can remember. This probably doesn't expalin anything, but it might.

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 05:11 PM   #10
KayQy
Wight

KayQy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to KayQy
Sting

What, you mean when I dream I'm actually cleaning up?!?!?
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
My father would be shocked.

--OC Supertones, "Wilderness"

"Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter." -- Max Beerbohm
KayQy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 01:58 AM   #11
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Silmaril

Amyrlis, he's a former forest-firefighter, current military analyst (he lives, eats, sleeps and dreams this). He was earmarked for the military but didn't join for rather bloodthirsty reasons: we weren't at war, so he didn't feel there was any point!

You guys are right, he is really into detail, and it's just like him to notice the finer points of the hardware. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] His putting the right sword in his/Aragorn's hand comes out of the clear blue sky. Maybe he just liked that sword.

He really enjoyed everyone's comments, says, no, he's never played Final Fantasy anything. Lush, he too says " [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] " about the Freud stuff, but I dunno...

Sure, I'd love to hear about other people dreams! This thread's wide open.

-Maril
Old 02-16-2002, 10:13 PM   #12
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Starbreeze told half the story, I'd say. Yes, your dreams are "cleaning up" a lot of thoughts, but there is still meaning in many dreams, especially the ones we remember. I read a great book all about it in the last couple months (wish I could remember the author etc.). Anyway, this guy says that every character and many emblems that appear in our dreams are aspects of ourselves. We usually dream in archetypes, and a hero with a sword are two very powerful archetypes. The fact that your boyfriend doesn't usually do much with this stuff makes it all the more likely that he's going to latch onto Aragorn and his sword. It's more likely that since he doesn't know the story all that well he'd dream of a sword that wasn't broken, especially considering what it probably stands for in the dream.

Follow that through and your boyfriend's awareness in the dream is Aragorn, a hero figure. He holds a big-*** sword (I'm pretty sure what the *** is, which might just be significant). A looonnnnnng sword. A sword in a dream usually is symbolic of male power = potency. Let's be frank. He's waiting for a formless evil, an aspect of himself he's not aware of yet, that because he doesn't know it, he regards as evil and he's ready to overcome it. The sword getting heavy, hmmm, maybe that's emblematic that he won't always be as ready as he is right now...... Just possibilities.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 11:43 PM   #13
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Sting

I think you're on the right track. What he emphasized was that he felt totally confident, if not 100% certain. But completely ready, bloodthirsty even. But it fits all the changes that seem to be coming his way.

Actually his phrase was "big f****** sword." I wanted to hit near without entirely using the language typical of his world. Four-letter words are verbs, nouns, adverbs, adjectives and occasionally pronouns, and your best friend who picked up an unmentionable disease will be called "DMF" (stands for Diseased Mother - you get the idea). I like his bluntness, but boy, sometimes my ears burn.
Old 06-17-2002, 12:53 PM   #14
Lilly Loamsdown
Pile O'Bones

Lilly Loamsdown has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<font color="pink">We can add our dreams in this?Cool!I had one the other night about the Nazgul. The Nine Riders were out scouring the countryside,for some reason looking for me and my familly. I get my little brother and sisters all safely hidden the I colapse at the base of this huge oak tee.Just overwhelmed by the efort of protecting my siblings and fear just as the Witch king rides up .Then...My alarm clock rang!Drat.</font> [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2002, 11:24 AM   #15
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

But if I'm just tidying, why do my dreams have plots that continue from one night to the next? In the space of a week I dreamt a saga worthy of the silver screen, but nothing special was going on in my life then, nor was I paying any special attention to details.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 01:12 PM   #16
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Silmaril

The Silver-shod Muse, that sounds exactly like a book I just finished reading - people who dream series of events or sequencial dreamers have such dreams for a number of reasons - sometimes they seek escape in their dreams in a way that they cannot in life - either in times of stress, or times when life is boring and they need something interesting. Sequencial dreams can also happen as a result - don't laugh - of what you are eating! When you have a change of routine which involves a change of diet or when you eat your mind compensates by continuing the regularity and stability of the old routine by providing you with sequential dreams.
I should write an essay on this.

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Old 06-19-2002, 11:51 AM   #17
Uruloki
Pile O'Bones

Uruloki has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Which is why if some people eat cheese before they go to bed they have a tendency to have weird and sometimes scary dreams. Also, we dream in sequence because our life is in sequence and if we had no plot to our dreams then our brain would become confused (we don't allways dream completely in sequence actually, things happen out of place which is why our dreams sometimes seem so weird [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Uruloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 11:58 AM   #18
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Silmaril

Welcome Uruloki, to the Downs! Are you a fellow sequential dreamer?

Old 06-19-2002, 12:09 PM   #19
Uruloki
Pile O'Bones

Silmaril

Aye, that I am, and I'll be thankin thee for your warmest welcome........... *shakes head and blinks*
Woah! That was weird. Not only do I dream at night but sometimes I slip off into the weirdest daydreams.

Are you into phschology then Starbreeze?
Old 06-19-2002, 12:22 PM   #20
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Silmaril

Quote:
Woah! That was weird. Not only do I dream at night but sometimes I slip off into the weirdest daydreams.
Same here. Once in class my friend nudged me and told me I was speaking fluent French - I don't know French. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Quote:
Are you into phschology then Starbreeze?
I would love to be able to take it as a class but unfortunately it must remain a hobby for me. I am interested in the Psychology behind subconscious behavior - sleepwalking, dreams, talking in sleep - even snoring! However, in truth I am interested in all psychology *sighs* ah, to do as one wishes!

Old 06-19-2002, 12:29 PM   #21
Uruloki
Pile O'Bones

Silmaril

Fluent French! Wow, thats, thats quite impressive!

My dad is a psychologist and he has shelves of books on everything you could ever wish to know bout the mind (well, not everything about the mind but the stuff that has been discovered so far)

Yous said in class, dyou mean recently or have you left school?
Old 06-19-2002, 12:32 PM   #22
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Silmaril

*looks smug, and very happy* I left school today. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 06-19-2002, 12:46 PM   #23
Uruloki
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Oh bugger off! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
You lucky lucky lucky lucky (you get the picture [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])

Still have a whole other year to go for me............. *starts to have a panic attack so has to control breathing for a moment*

What are you gonna do know then?
Old 06-19-2002, 12:53 PM   #24
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Silmaril

*looks shocked*

Language! lol

The next year will fly by, trust me.

Next - well, study some - I love learning new things - get a job, write a bit, stuff basically.

I feel this is getting a little off topic, prehaps, if we wish to continue, we should do so via Private message?

[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: Starbreeze ]

Old 06-25-2002, 02:44 AM   #25
NicktheOrc
Animated Skeleton

Location: The Witch-Realm of Angmar, a.k.a. some place in Australia
NicktheOrc has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font color=red> I had a dream that I was Aragorn. The rest of the Fellowship lay dead, so I took the Ring from Frodo. I noticed that the Tengwar runes kept appearing and dissappearing rapidly. I drew Anduril and Sam's sword as three Nazgul walked up to me. I threw Sam's Barrow-blade at Witch-King, who fell over in pain. I then grabbed Boromir's sword and hurled it at Witch-King. The Nazgul King died. I then cut the other Wraiths apart.
Old 06-25-2002, 01:11 PM   #26
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Silmaril

Sounds like you have intriguing yet violent dreams there Nick. I wouldn't want to be the baddy in youyr dreams. Its quite funny, I am often the baddy in other people's dreams - I am worried about this. One of my friends dreamt that she was a Rider (of Rohan), and I was an Orc (they honestly bear no resemblance to me in real life [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) and she had to kill me. Luckily I woke before I died.

Old 06-26-2002, 09:42 AM   #27
Pallando
Wight

Pallando has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Suilad, mellyn. Can I add in a very weird dream I had?
Pallando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 10:05 AM   #28
Pallando
Wight

Sting

Here it is:

I was walking in a forest, bearing a sword. I noticed the sword at my waist and unsheathed it. It was light and thin, with runes upon the hilt, and the blade looked as if it was made by the Elves. What the runes read was "Merka Kuruni". I at once knew what it said. I then heard a rustling in the leaves. I walked over to the source, and hit the bush with the flat side of the blade. A groan emerged. I sheathed my sword and grabbed the creature and yanked it out. What I hold in my hands was a Hobbit. A Hobbit called Pippin Took. I then relised my grip on his collar.

"Please don't hurt me, my lady..." he started.

"Don't worry, Peregrin Took, son of Paladin, I mean no harm." I said.

"H-how did you know my name?"

"Well...." I started. But I heard someone coming. Off in the distance I heard 'Pippin! Pippin!' and 'Where are you, you Fool of a Took?' I then scrambled up a tree. Footsteps came closer. Gandalf stood in front of Pip.

Then, strange to scene, I heard him say the strangest thing I have EVER heard Gandalf the Gray say.

"Melissa, time to get up! School!" It was then woke up.
Old 06-26-2002, 12:47 PM   #29
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Silmaril

Lol! I love that bit at the end, where Gandalf tells you to get up for school!

Old 06-27-2002, 10:32 AM   #30
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Funny...all the dreams involving swords...
I had a dream recently. We had a family reunion, and I think it took place at Biblo's house---the story behind the house was that Bilbo left it to us.

I don't remembe being an elf, or a hobbit in that dream.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 12:47 PM   #31
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Silmaril

I am always human in my dreams, but for some reason my friends and people I know are always wither hobbits, elves or animals (usually rabbits!).

Old 06-28-2002, 12:37 PM   #32
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I had a deja vu a few hours ago... stuff like that don't freak me out anymore...

But what I really wanted to say was:
hey Starbreeze, I love your sig. Did you make that up?
Old 06-28-2002, 12:53 PM   #33
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Silmaril

Yes, you might say that it 'came to me in a dream' I was sat there with my 'edit profile' page open thinking what shall i put, when, pooping into my head like words from a long forgotton song came that sentance. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Glad you like it.

Old 06-28-2002, 02:13 PM   #34
Pallando
Wight

Sting

I have something to say about dreams.

All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream
-Edgar Allen Poe

Those dreams are true which we have in the morning, as the lamp begins to flicker on.
-Ovid
Old 06-28-2002, 02:14 PM   #35
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I had a dream that Lush was my English teacher and Marileangorifurnimaluim
was my math teacher. I have no idea why. I wonder if you really are teachers.... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2002, 02:33 PM   #36
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Silmaril

Hehe, thats funny Lindolirian!

Too true Pallando!

Old 06-28-2002, 03:08 PM   #37
Pallando
Wight

Sting

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2002, 07:40 PM   #38
Arvenstar

Sting

fIRST DREAM:There was mention of "some guy with archetypes...That person was none other than JUNG , who was at first Freud's associate, but left, and Yes, archetypes are frequently forthcoming. What caches my eye is the fact that he is standing in front of a high wall... Backed up against? , unknown weapon? unknown enemy... Evil , his shadow side is right behind him. Why not try to dream again, and ansk the shadow to reveal itself...
Lindol: throwing an eyeball can give immense benefits , as did Oden, of the Asa
Gods. He offered his Eye to the well of Mimer, and gained infinite wisdom,,, and his two ravens are his eyes: Hugin and Munin.
Maybe you saw the eyeball of a cow in school(common sight) in a jar. The eye is the entry to the brain, a magnificent thing.

I don't like being dead, I live to learn as I learn to Live [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]http://[/img]
Old 07-04-2002, 08:34 AM   #39
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
I wonder if you really are teachers....
Well, I'm gonna be one...

Had another dream on my bus ride home
...only I can't remember [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2002, 08:12 PM   #40
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Uh, this isn't LotR-related, but I had a dream that I helped keep a burglar from robbing a friend's house.
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote