The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-28-2003, 09:03 AM   #1
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Shrines

I think that quite a few of us have shrines to Tolkien, and I was just wondering what they consist of, where they are placed and other such things.

My Shrine is quite large (and I'm extending it so I'm not telling you the size yet). It consists of pictures of the LotR cast from varous sources (Newspapers, Advent calenders, magazines) stuck on my wall. That's all it is ( [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] ).

I also have a few spare picture frames which i'm thinking of Tolkienising, and I could staple my books to the wall...
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 09:59 AM   #2
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lady Snickerdoodle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

well, I have a shrine for Orlando Bloom [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] , does that count? though I think that those are more common than Tolkien ones in general, but I might be wrong...
Old 12-28-2003, 11:01 AM   #3
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

Well, I have a random LotR Shrine in my subprofile on AIM... then I guess you could call that little file in my computer called 'My Pictures' a shrine.. (little? hah..it's eating up all my disk space) And I'm soon making an HQ for SAM so, in a sense, that'll be a shrine to Merry. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2003, 12:14 PM   #4
Eladain Moruviel
Haunting Spirit

Eladain Moruviel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have a bookshelf with all of the LotR action figures, a bunch of posters and pics; and other various Lord of the Rings related stuff. My friends call it my shrine, so I guess it counts
Old 12-28-2003, 02:36 PM   #5
Lossentilien
Wight

Lossentilien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have a whole wall covered in LotR stuff, from posters to stuff from magazines and papers, to ticket stubs, drawings, and leaves for some reason...
And of course there are fairy lights to illuminate it all. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I've also painted the panels on my door...
Old 12-28-2003, 02:59 PM   #6
Miriel Undomiel
Wight

Miriel Undomiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Miriel Undomiel
Sting

My desk is loaded with LotR-stuff. Newspaper articles, my Gandalf action figure and MY BOOKS!!!!
My walls are so full of posters that I don't know if I actually have any walls... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2003, 05:42 PM   #7
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Well, there's the large part of my favorite bookshelf (I have two,and they're overflowing. Time to try to fit a thrid into my room), and then my collection of newspaper and magazine clippings (and, in many cases, whole magazines), ticket stubs, huge files of links and pictures, various documents, etc. So I guess I have a paper shrine and a computerized one. But there's something at least vaguely Tolkieny in just about every area of my room, and my floor is always covered with various Tolkien books, mostly, so I guess you could say that my whole room is my shrine.

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 06:09 PM   #8
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

Mine's pretty small, it consists of the top of my drawers and the wall above it. I have a calendar, an Eowyn bookmark, some tengwar written in silver ink on a black post-it note, four Get Fuzzy cartoons I cut out of the newspaper, the FotR board game, a little rubber spider I like to call Shelob, my Eye of Sauron marble, and ticket stubs. I found a little Bill the Pony I wanted to get, (same place I got the marble) but I had no money at the time, and when I went back it was gone. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2003, 07:28 AM   #9
Feared Half-Elf
Wight

Feared Half-Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mine's developing. I've got this Rotk special of a magazine, and a whole load of posters and stuff.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Feared Half-Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 07:35 AM   #10
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have five shrines.

The first, and most important, is the wall by my bed. It is covered in a vast amount of Denethor pictures.

The second is the whole room. I have pictures everywhere around the room, paintings, decorations and icons I have added by hand (paintings on shoeboxes mainly).

The third is my shelf. I keep all my Tolkien books there, along with magazines, newspaper articles, posters that aren't on my wall, calendars, diaries, action figures, etc.

The fourth is my message board.

The fifth is within the message board, and is a section devoted only to Denethor. A larger shrine is in the process of being built, and will probably be devoted to the whole of Gondor.

A sixth will be built, and is to be dedicated to a Gondorian extra from TTT who I fell hopelessly in love with.
Old 12-29-2003, 06:08 PM   #11
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I have a Shrine to Famous People in General, and every piece of wall space is covered with pictures ive cut form magazines, posters etc, even when my LOTR calender changes every month the pictures go up. I have pictures of the LOTR cast on 1 wall. So i guess it is a shrine to the "shining ones" [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 06:24 PM   #12
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have my own little space on the computer and it's full of sound clips, pictures, music, trailers, videos and so could really be called a shrine as there sure as heck isn't much that's not to do with LotR there.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:46 AM   #13
Mercy of the Valar

Sting

my bedside table is my shrine. It has all my Tolkien books; two junk sets of lotr, two sil, and the unfinished tales, and all that.

on the top is my nice big hard bound copy of lotr, with my legolas, haldir, and aragorn action figures guarding them and on the wall behind it i have my huge Middle Earth map that i've put pics of the hobbits, elves and even a balrog in the cornor all over and around it are my mag clippings [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:18 PM January 03, 2004: Message edited by: Mercy of the Valar ]
Old 01-01-2004, 06:23 PM   #14
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

I have a soon-to-be shrine. I need to paint the walls, so it has to wait. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] But it will consist of all the pictures I've gotten, and the tops of the lotr pizza boxes from Pizza Hut! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2004, 08:03 PM   #15
Lady_Galadriel
Wight

Lady_Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lady_Galadriel
Shield

I used to have a shrine to LOTR... Sadly I had to take all the pictures off my walls because my room was being painted, and now my mom does not allow any pictures to be placed on the walls. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] But my entire shrine used to consist of thousands of LOTR pics and magazine cut outs and hand drawn pics of LOTR, and all the LOTR poseters I have, and handwritten or typed signs of my favortie quotes from LOTR and the Hobbit all over the walls divided into sections. One section for elves, one wall for hobbits, one wall for the race of men, and one section for wizards, and one for dwarves... it was all so nealty divided and set up. it was beautiful I must say. And then on top of my table, dresser, and book shelves I had all my LOTR books, games, action figures, and Burger King action figures all placed in formation... then I had a huge circluar candle with the one ring in it garged by my soliders... it was so cool! I fully intend to repace it again someday soon... :P
Old 01-03-2004, 02:47 AM   #16
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well I have a very large FOTR poster that is framed on my wall. Is that shriney enough?

I don't really go overboard, but my room does contain a lot of LOTR things. I have my books, calandar, a few pictures here and there, my signed water bottle from Sir Ian, and a few other memoentos. The poster is really the main thing though (but I don't have candles or anything like that around it).

Oh and also in the room next door I do have three full size TTT posters, and a Legolas standee which is my sister's. I guess you could consider that place the most Ringish spot in the house. So, yes, I guess I have a few shrines [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Just to add on... That is just the stuff I have out! I have an additional four ROTK Posters, a small TTT poster and an entire trilogy poster, a box of Ring things I got from Comic-Con in San Diego, magazines (including my prized one, the last LOTR issue of Empire), and now I have, finally, a hardback set of LOTR to replace my paperback book with movie pictures on it.

Last edited by Gorwingel; 02-17-2004 at 07:44 PM.
Gorwingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 09:24 AM   #17
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Sting

Quote:
my signed water bottle from Sir Ian
[img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

My shrine, I have measured, is roughly 7600cm squares, or three quarters of a square metre. That's 1180 square inches. It looked so much bigger. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2004, 02:40 PM   #18
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Well i have two posters, and one calendar. My computer is a bit of a lOTR shrine! Faramir on my desktop, and the screen saver is with Frodo, which I got from the movie website.
Then I have tons of Faramir and Aragorn pics in my files on the comp. Plus I got the illustrated version of LOTR and the hobbit. I love these books and they never seem to make it back on the shelve. Then I always have the Sill lying around somewhere.
Can't live without LOTR! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2004, 03:02 PM   #19
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

My shrine is my entire room, since the walls are covered with LotR posters, magazine clippings, pictures of the cast, pictures of male models who look like Elves (hey, that should count *cheeky grin*), dragons, and collages. I've got my Elvish-looking sword on display and I have a cardboard life-size Aragorn cut-out in a corner of my room. I also made a Treebeard sculpture out of clay in art class, and I have that sitting on my beside table. My plethora of Middle-earth books take up half of my bookshelf, and I've got liberal amounts of action figures strewn all over the place.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 05:42 PM   #20
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Oh, yeah, and then there's my sign on the wall that says "The Grand Library of Scrolls and Tomes, in the palace of Silwing", in calligraphy and Tengwar. My floor is currently a Tolkien shrine- I have at least a dozen Tolkien books strewn about the floor. I can hardly walk, and have to be very careful not to damage any of them. But it's so convenient to have them all right there when you sit down in bed to read, and sooner or later realize that it's 2 am and all you've done is browse through Letters. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 12:37 PM   #21
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Sting

My first piece of Tolkien art goes up today. It's not very imaginative, just the JRRT Logo, but it's a start. I made it at lunch in school [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I then held it up, showed a librarian and told her the Tolkienites are planning world domination. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Anyway, hopefully from now on my shrine will be greatly extended. I can add many pictures, such as the doors of moria or traced pictures from other books like the silm or HoMEI and II.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:09 PM   #22
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting

The family shrine is on the top shelf of one of the bookshelves in the study. All copies of the books, visual companions, statues and figures, bookmarks, various bits of LOTR merchandise are all arranged nicely there.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:26 PM   #23
The Elusive Spirit
Haunting Spirit

The Elusive Spirit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have an entire file on my compurter deticated to LOTR. I have pictures, quotes, poems, and random things from this site.

My entire room is now turning into a shrine now. It started with my closet door and will soon expand to the walls. My desk is also covered with books and papers.
The fresh and boundless wood,
And torrents dashed, and rivlets played,
And fountains spouted in the shade.
-Bryant
The Elusive Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 03:11 PM   #24
Nimrothiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nimrothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My "shrine" is quite small. It consists of the boxed set of "The Hobbit" and the trilogy on one part of my bookshelf, a red porcelain dragon that looks like Smaug (plus four more pewter dragons; so I guess that would make that shelf the "Withered Heath), a short sword that looks like the swords from the Barrow that the four hobbits were trapped in, and a small brooch shaped like a leaf.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:19 PM   #25
kittiegirl
Haunting Spirit

kittiegirl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiegirl
Sting

My shrine is my wall.
It consists of LOTR, Superchic[k] posters, and Molly Ringwald pics.
It's very cool though. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
It's under this star stuff haning from the ceiling and it's very cool
kittiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 04:49 PM   #26
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

I just added three more bookmarks, and soon to be added is whatever I won in the LotR trivia contest at my school. (I won! Woohoo!)
Old 01-06-2004, 12:36 PM   #27
kittiegirl
Haunting Spirit

kittiegirl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiegirl
Sting

That's cool that you won that trivia contest!
If we had one in my town, I would probably win....
kittiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 02:44 PM   #28
Oroaranion
Haunting Spirit

Oroaranion has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

In this case i must be a freak, as I do not have a shrine. But that could be because there is only enough room in my bedroom for a bed, a TV and my wardrobe... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

The only things on my walls are Salvador Dali pictures and posters of Muhammad Ali.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:01 PM   #29
Ash Meadow

Sting

Oh, goodness, I actually have to admit this in public? Well, my whoel room is a Middle Earth shrine...what with 3 LotR posters (one from each movie!), my rolling cart with all my Tolkien works on it, my bulletin board with all my magazine clip outs on it, and the grande finale...the fact that I hand painted elvish symbols and designs taken from the movies onto my wall next to my door. What can I say? I'm an addict!

~Ash
Old 01-12-2004, 03:47 PM   #30
Pyroclastic
Haunting Spirit

Pyroclastic has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Every picture on my wall could be a place in Middle Earth. They're all pictures from nature calendars, but with some imagination I can see the fellowship trouping across them.
I got The Maps of Tolkien's MIddle Earth for Christmas, and those are forever spread out on my floor or bed while I'm thinking up RPG characters. My computer is named Numenor, because it's always sinking. I have a colection of Plantirs (polished rock spheres), and I have a walking staff by my door, just to remind me of the Hobbit's journey. I don't really have stuff of LOTR, but rather I have stuff that reminds me of LOTR.
~Flames from Pyro~
Old 01-12-2004, 06:48 PM   #31
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

I expect to be redecorating my room soon, with a Middle-Earthian theme, and when I do, my whole room will be a shrine. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Does anyone know how to get an LotR puzzle to stick to the wall? (Don't say I need puzzle glue, it's one of those foam-backed ones that doesn't fall apart easily.) I cannot get it to stay!
Old 02-17-2004, 08:09 AM   #32
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Shrines.....

Well, my MP3 player is a shrine in itself! I also have a day-by-say LOTR calender, and all of the torn off pictures go on my closet door. I also have newspaper clippings, movie stubs, and a Legolas poster (from a previous obsession...hmmmmm...now what could that be? ) I also have a magnet board filled with LOTR stuff, and stuff that reminds me of LOTR, such as: postcards fromm my Grandparents in Ireland, several Tolkein-ish poems I wrote, and several pastel drawings I made (which are, in truth, horrible! ) I'm also bidding on Arwen's pendant on ebay at the moment. Well, that's all I can think of for now!
Ta!
Old 02-17-2004, 09:05 AM   #33
Nimrothiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nimrothiel has just left Hobbiton.
I recently added all three soundtracks, a bookmark, the One Ring, two dragon posters, and a dragon lamp. I still have to find a poster for each movie, and I hope to be able to redecorate my room in the near future. However, since I'm going off to college this coming fall my parents may see this as a waste of time and refuse to let me do it. Oh yeah, I just bought the book "The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth" too, so now I can paint phrases on my walls. (For that puzzle, try using poster tack to stick it on; it might wreck the paint on your wall though.)
Old 02-17-2004, 11:57 PM   #34
Aredhel Ar-Feiniel
Haunting Spirit

Aredhel Ar-Feiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Apart form my Martin Henderson shrine, (the Ring) I have a Karl Urban shrine.. like every girl should..