The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2002, 02:27 PM   #41
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

This was bumped up as the companion thread to "Concerning Elf Friends".

[ December 02, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-05-2003, 03:10 AM   #42
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think that the Light in Frodo's Face is simply a vision that others see, each according to their own perceptive abilities, of his spirit, or if you like his soul. The striking passage where Gandalf describes Glorfindel influences me to think this way. Glorfindel is described as having great power on both the physical and the spiritual planes. Frodo sees him as he is on "the other side", because he is himself passing into the wraith world.

Elves are often described as having a light coming from either their eyes or their entire bodies. I think this is a result of the power of the spiritual side of all Elves, especially the Calaquendi (Elves of Light - maybe this is another origin of the name?). Galathilion, I think hit the nail on the head when saying:
Quote:
This light of Frodo's is the manifestation of the refining of his spirit in the crucible of his quest.
As the Light seems to become more apparent further along his road (helped along by the Witch King of course). When Aragorn has a Light in his Face on Cerin Amroth, I think this is partly because of his nature as Elf-friend and Elessar, and because he is at that moment in a dreamlike state. I can't think of other instances of Eruhíni having this Light, if there are others please post them!

I think in several instances in the earlier posts of this thread, a power has been attributed to this Light, as though it can be used as some kind of magical charm. I think that to talk of the Light in Frodo's Face having some power over the Ring is mixing cause and effect. The Light came from the same place that Frodo's power of resistance did, from his spiritual self.
Old 01-05-2003, 03:33 AM   #43
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Amazing, Amazing thread (this is the first time I have seen this one, and it is amazing so deep and beautiful, makes me appreciate Frodo even more) the only thing I have to say is that the light could not have come from the phial, because they talk about the light while he is at Tom Bombadil's, long before he receives it.

(that is me just putting my small comment in, and realizing, I have much to learn [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] )
Old 06-25-2003, 01:44 PM   #44
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

This discussion, although very old, never ceases to intrigue me.

OK, I have other qustions that relate closely to my original one. I agree with Doug Platypus (who alas rarely haunts the Downs now) that the light is a physical manifestation of the spiritual side of Frodo's nature. Being an Elf-friend is one part of that equation, although not the only one.

I also agree with this observation that Doug made about the uniqueness of Frodo in this regard. No other Child of Illuvatar is portrayed in this way:

Quote:
This light of Frodo's is the manifestation of the refining of his spirit in the crucible of his quest.
Quote:
As the Light seems to become more apparent further along his road (helped along by the Witch King of course). When Aragorn has a Light in his Face on Cerin Amroth, I think this is partly because of his nature as Elf-friend and Elessar, and because he is at that moment in a dreamlike state. I can't think of other instances of Eruhíni having this Light, if there are others please post them!
OK, that gets me round to my next set of questions.

First, does anyone know of any other mortals in all of Tolkien's writings who also have light reflected in their eyes and face?

It seems then that Frodo's light is unique, even different than Aragorn. Then the question becomes this: why a hobbit? Why not one of the big folk?

I mean just look at hobbits. They are not exactly likely candidates for spiritual enlightenment! Unlike Aragorn and the men of Numenor, they could not choose when they died.

Another scene underlines how very limited hobbits were. One of the most humbling scenes in the book is when Frodo watches Faramir's men rise before eating and look towards Numenor and "what lies beyond", an inherently spiritual statement.

Frodo does not even understand what Faramir's men are doing so he asks about it. Yet he instinctively feels that it is sad his own people don't have a custom like that. He almost seems to feel a bit ashamed. Obviously, hobbits don't have such a custom because they don't even understand
"what lies beyond".

In a discussion that Bird and I had one day, she pointed out that, in many respects, hobbits are the most "secular" people in Arda, focusing on the day-to-day rather than anything beyond. Unlike the Elves or the Edain, they are ignorant of such things.

So how come, if there are only two mortals in all of Middle-earth who show this special light in Tolkien's writings, one is a hobbit? Indeed he is the one who seems to show this special feature even more than Aragorn whose heritage is so special. Yes, I know all the reasons why Frodo's particlar skills (and limitations) as a hobbit led to him being chosen to destroy the ring. But Tolkien didn't have to portray him in this way regarding the light.

What does it say about Tolkien's view of mankind and our potential that he could portray a humble hobbit in this way, but not all the heroes of the Silm?

Also, what happened to the light in Frodo's eyes after Mordor? Was it gone for good? Would it ever come back within the circles of Arda? Was the real purpose of Frodo's journey to the West to regain that piece of himself which was exemplified by that light in his eyes?

Just curious what others think.
Old 06-25-2003, 05:00 PM   #45
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Perhaps a little more prosaically, I'd like to propose that there are two kinds of 'light' phenomena going on here.

First, Goldberry comments that Frodo has a light in his eyes and a ring in his voice. Perhaps this is simply a 'glint in the eye' and a vivacious personality being described, different from most of the 'dull' hobbits.

Secondly is the shining of 'inner light', which many have proposed as indicating Frodo's spiritual purification during his quest. I think that Frodo is gaining an increased presence in the 'spiritual realm'. In this he is slowly starting to approach the radiance of Glorfindel, revealing his great spiritual power on the 'other side'. Naturally this is not as extreme as an elf lord revealed in his anger!

I'd think that this spiritual power may be greater in those elves who have been to Valinor. This could fit with the power and wrath that Feanor and co. displayed on their return to Middle Earth.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:39 PM   #46
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
...up.
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote