The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

View Poll Results: Gothmog was
A Nazgûl 15 34.09%
A Black Numenorean 21 47.73%
An orc chieftan 8 18.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2005, 10:21 AM   #41
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well remember Tolkien love balance(cant think of the word right now) The good guys had Gandalf and Radagast... the Bad guys had Saruman and...perhaps another maiar this Balrog COmmander Reincarnation Afterall Morgoth certainly could have done this. That too is plausible..but then again Sauron may be considered the second evil maiar in which case it makes the reincarnation less likely...Ithink the nazgul idea is sufficient remember anyone could become one he may have been turning into one like early stages afterall if he were evil unlike Frodo he would accept this as a gift rather than struggle against the wound.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:45 AM   #42
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark
Well remember Tolkien love balance(cant think of the word right now)
He did? I've never noticed any such trend... Morgoth was originally way stronger than Manwe- he was a match for ALL the Valar. Alone. Who balances Sauron then?

Quote:
The good guys had Gandalf and Radagast... the Bad guys had Saruman and...perhaps another maiar this Balrog COmmander Reincarnation Afterall Morgoth certainly could have done this. That too is plausible..but then again Sauron may be considered the second evil maiar in which case it makes the reincarnation less likely...
If there was a Maia in Sauron's ranks, then why was he the LIEUTANENT. If there was a Maia serving him, I rather doubt that the Witchking would be his superior, but, rather, his deputy.

Quote:
I think the nazgul idea is sufficient remember anyone could become one he may have been turning into one like early stages afterall if he were evil unlike Frodo he would accept this as a gift rather than struggle against the wound.
Good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainofDespair
'The' can be loosely put either way. He was 'The' Lieutenant of Morgul 'at' Pelennor. Or, it could be taken strictly. I take no preference. However, again with the quote, he only rallied men (whom I bunch together under the category 'Easterlings', as my book only says Easterlings, oddly enough. Mine says something to the effect of 'Bearded Easterlings with Great Axes', and only that).
Then Gothmog is 'the' "Lieutenant Nazgul of Morgul placed in Command at the Pelennor".

And, regarding your different book wording, I have to wonder if you don't have a First Edition...

But I do not know all those differences, so I won't commit to that explanation by any means.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:03 PM   #43
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Well, since Tolkien never gave us a definitive answer (absent any undiscovered manuscripts), I would say that Gothmog could be any of the three. It's down to the reader.

On that basis, my vote is for Nazgul since, in an old War of the Ring game that I have, he is depicted as one. And so, I have considered him to be a Nazgul for some 25 years and I am not about to change my mind now.

But even applying logic to the situation, my answer holds. I would expect the second-in-command at Minas Morgul and in the assault on Gondor to be of similar power to the commander (ie the Witch-King). Khamul, as the Lieutenant of Dol Goldur, was almost certainly directing the assaults on Lorien, the second of which occured on the same day as the Battle of the Pelennor. I would therefore conclude that the Witch-King's second-in-command was one of the other Nazgul.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:37 PM   #44
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
How about a Nazgul who is a Black Numenorean as well?