The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-19-2003, 09:16 AM   #81
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

BW, Sharku, Mr Underhill and I have been monitoring this thread and others like it. While we understand why members would want to meet one another, we are a bit concerned and wish to emphasize that care must be taken if you choose to arrange such a meeting.

First, the Barrow-Downs itself is not involved in organizing such meetings and does not intend to be in the future. These meetings are arranged by individuals or groups of individuals and we take no responsibility for the outcome. The decision to meet is made by individual members at their own risk. We are not providing transportation, accomodations or security and are not involved in the choice of locale or the agenda.

If you choose to meet, individually or in groups, please think it through, plan carefully and be careful! Meet in public with other persons present. Make sure that others know where you are going and who you are meeting. Think twice before providing personal information to other members such as e-mail addresses, telephone numbers or home addresses and do not send anyone money or credit card information.

We're sorry to throw a wet blanket over this but we are concerned about peoples' safety and want to emphasize that this is not an "official", sanctioned event sponsored by the Barrow-Downs. If you choose to meet, good luck and we hope that you enjoy yourselves. But please be careful!
Old 02-19-2003, 11:28 AM   #82
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I noticed on MM's 'xenite' sites, that he specifically tells those under 18 not to post any personal information at all. this may seem exrteme and it is certainly unfortunate but one can easily see the wisdom both legally and in terms of safety.

On another unfortunate note, my Seattle plans have been dashed upon the hard rocks of reality for the time being [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] , and I will not be able to come up for the forseeable future, though I do hope to make a more leisurly trip up in the late spring or summer. Sorry for the now-false alarm.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 12:32 PM   #83
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Totally completely understandable, we really don't want anyone to have something terrible happen to them, because the internet can be a great place to share ideas and all, but it can also be extremely dangerious.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:03 PM   #84
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

We are sorry ,Lindil, that we can't meet you but will look forward to doing so in the future.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:08 AM   #85
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thank you for the kind words Raefindel. It was a real disappointment to me, but it was turning more and more into too big of a stretch.

Hopefully in the sping or summer [when I can visit Orcas Island too...]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 12:50 PM   #86
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

On the bright side, summer really is the time to visit Seattle anyway. It's lovely here, crystal blue skies, no bugs, majestic mountains on all sides. Rainier alone looks like something out of Fantasia, but you can't see it for the clouds in winter. The sun sets at 10pm, and rises at 5am.

This is Camelot in the summer.

~Maril
Old 02-26-2003, 01:04 PM   #87
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Sting

On the 'wet blanket' notification -- not at all. It's easy for some of us adults to assume people will understand and take these precautions.

For the record, the previous 'Seattle Barrow-Downs Festival' was really just a late lunch and a lot of Tolkien chat with Rae.

We PM'd back and forth for a while, so had something of a sense of each other's personalities.

We met in a public place (and had a little trouble finding each other as a result - heh). We also remained in public areas, taking a fine walk and checking out some shopping. Rae is Scottish, which is something I never knew. Our lunch was at a restaurant.

Although we've met and like each other, neither of us have carelessly exchanged addresses, or - heavens [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] - financial information. And we don't feel that should be relevant (especially the latter). What does it have to do with Tolkien?

So, do think, folks. It's not paranoia, it's simple awareness of reality. You know very little about people you've met online. For all that you know quite a bit about their knowledge and take on Tolkien. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

- Maril
Old 02-26-2003, 01:24 PM   #88
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

I think the 'wet blanket' was just a CYA for the site admin. Care should be taken when arranging to meet folk known only on the internet as care should be taken when meeting any stranger. Usually the people are honest enough on the net so when meetings do occur, they are fun events.

Anyway, is there a gathering at the Spagetti Factory on the 2nd? This wild Ranger resides in the high mountains of the West, aka Ered Luin, aka the Cascades, and descend to the sea at times.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 06:03 PM   #89
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

White-Hand

I don't know if we are still going to meet on the second of March without Lindil, if there was still enough people who wanted to meet I would still be up for it. Hopefully I could still make it, and if we still met on the second, is there any possiblity that we could meet a little bit earlier, like in the afternoon.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:19 PM   #90
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

The second is out for me, now. I made other plans when Lindil cancelled. I'm still game for another time.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:33 PM   #91
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Sting

Well Rae, I was wondering, if you want to think really far in advance (well not that far)
but I was just thinking, do you go to the Folklife festival during memorial day weekend? I went last year for the first time, and I am going to be going this year. If you go I could really meet you there, because my parents have no problem with meeting someone in such a public place like that. I know it is really far in advance, but it is something to consider. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2003, 09:22 PM   #92
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Hmmm... do you happen to have any links to that? Holidays don't usually tend to work because of my husband's chosen field of employment. He doesn't get holidays off. But I can run it by him and see.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:58 PM   #93
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Sting

It's not really an event which is Tolkien related but it is really cool. Though it kind of fits in to the spirt (of especially the hobbits) in a way because it is about music, food, being outside and having a good time, it is a celebration of Northwest culture and everything (Last year they had people who were applying fake tattoos, and I was joking to my sister that she should get one like the actors in the movie [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]). Oh and it is really near where your husband works, it is at Seattle Center, and as you know that is located across the street from almost all of the Seattle broadcasters.
This is the link to their page Northwest Folklife
I am surprised you have never heard about it, because I had heard about it for years, but had never gone.

[ February 27, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 03-08-2003, 06:30 PM   #94
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Silmaril

I used to live near the Seattle Center, lower Queen Anne. One couldn't possibly miss the Folklife Festival: that was the day you couldn't park for love or money.

Good idea in theory. But I've had rotten luck meeting up with people in crowds!

- Maril
Old 03-08-2003, 08:03 PM   #95
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Sting

Yeah, that is the one major problem, actually finding eachother. Because that place is so crowded, and the festival is so popular [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] . Unless you decide to meet someplace else and then make it down to Seattle Center.
Old 03-29-2003, 12:14 AM   #96
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Ring

I am considering going to a charity screening of TTT in Portland with a special appearance by Sean Astin (very exciting), all the information is right here
Project Elanor
I just decided to post here about it, because the people who are planning it are very worried about not getting enough people to fill the theater. I know that probably Portland is way out of the way for most of you (and the large amount of time it would take to get down there) but if anyone is interested, I think it would be very fun. It is going to be on Saturday, April 5 at 7 p.m. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2003, 01:12 AM   #97
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Sting

I also found out about another local event, but it is very far in advance. I was so happy about this news, I got very excited. On July 17, 2004 Howard Shore is coming to the Seattle Symphony, he is going to be doing two concerts, one at 2 p.m. and the other at 8 p.m. I am of course going to attend this event too (I will be graduated from High School by this time [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]) I of course wanted everyone to know about this because it sounds very exciting. The infomation is right here
Seattle Symphony
It would make for a very wonderful evening [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2003, 01:16 PM   #98
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Cool! Thanks Gorwingel.
Old 04-04-2003, 03:20 PM   #99
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Sting

Way cool, Gorwingel. Thank you.

- Maril
Old 07-10-2003, 12:50 PM   #100
Snowdog

Sting

So what about a Seattle Cinerama line gathering of Barrow Downers for the Return of the King? Just a thought.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:31 PM   #101
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Eye

Whoa, this thread has not been posted on for a long while.

I don't know what to tell you Snowdog because many of the people who posted here have not been seen haunting the downs for a very long while. I know Raefindel is on vacation right now in Yellowstone and I have not seen Maril for a very, very long time. I personally know that I would not be able to go up to Seattle for the first showing of ROTK on December 19 because I have school the next day, so I will be staying in Olympia and going to my local theater.

If the Washingtonians on the Barrow-Downs aren't able to make it for a Line gathering. You can always check out the Line party on www.theonering.net , because I know the one at the Cinerama will be doing something for that night.

Nice to see you here, Welcome to our small coummunity of Washington Barrow-Downers [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2003, 10:55 AM   #102
Snowdog

Tolkien

Yeah, I know of the TORN party from the last two years runnning. There was always this TORC/TORN animosity it seemed. Well, if I'm the only one, I will try to be first in line with my Barrow Downs t-shirt on! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I get on well with many at TORN though I could never really get into posting at that site. My relations have soured with some in the TORC gang since my banning. Oh well.. I love Tolkien, and as much as I rate the PJ movies well below the fine writings of J.R.R., I still like to see them. I did only see Two Towers a couplt times at the theatre as opposed to about 8 times for Fellowship. I look forward to the extended DVD....

Anyway, life goes on and it is the way of the messageboard that some will come as others go, often without word. I lift my glass to you all!
Old 07-12-2003, 01:38 PM   #103
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Eye

Yeah, I love TORN very much (visit there every day), but the way that their forum is layed out is terrible. That is why I am here, because I have been on other forums with this layout, and I enjoy it much more.

Well stand well, and stand proud while in line [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] Just check back though, we still have a while till December, and we may get new members who are interested in going too. Things may change [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2003, 11:30 AM   #104
Snowdog

Pipe

I will do so as I plan on taking some time off and staking my claim in line on December 15th.

If anyone else will be at the Cinerama on 4th/5th & Lenora in Seattle for the first showing of the Return of the King then PM me or post here as I have activated my email notification for this thread. I may get an extra t-shirt to use as a Barrow Downs Flag! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Cheers!
Old 08-03-2003, 06:09 PM   #105
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Eye

I just wanted to tell all the Washingtonians that I just purchased my tickets for the Howard Shore concert [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] They just started allowing non-subsribers to purchase them today. I am going to be attending the evening performance and I can't wait [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2003, 01:18 AM   #106
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Eye

Oh another event note to all Washingtonian Barrow-Dowers...

Ringcon is back!

But it is in a different location and on different dates...

It is going to be...
October 24,25,26, 2003
Sheraton Tacoma Hotel
1320 Broadway Plaza, Tacoma, Washington

I am going to be attending, it would be wonderful if anyone else could come [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Here is the website: www.ringcon.com
Old 08-20-2003, 02:46 AM   #107
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White-Hand

Closing this topic. It's not going anywhere, particularly anywhere close to Seattle.