The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-14-2005, 06:58 AM   #361
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

You are correct.

I'm waiting to see if Estel has anything else to say before voting.

His life cannot be saved at this point but if he's willing we might be able to force a tie and increase the village's odds of winning.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:51 AM   #362
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan
You are correct.

I'm waiting to see if Estel has anything else to say before voting.

His life cannot be saved at this point but if he's willing we might be able to force a tie and increase the village's odds of winning.
Hmmmmm...I rather suspect you are wanting to kill off myself and TORE at the same time. Well, as it's the end of the game...er...village either way I don't have any objection in theory, but I would think that my innocence had been pretty amply demonstrated by this point.

Of course, perhaps Kuru is the wolf after all and is wanting to end it at the lynching without having to wait for the NIGHT to do me in...
Fordim Hedgethistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 07:57 AM   #363
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Kuruharan: loud and determined to get SpM, but no demonstrable proof of any kind of co-ordinated effort with the proven wolves. Could be a wolf
My tie-in between Shelob & Kuru I have already spoken of. Shelob voted for SpM instead of Kuru because Sauce's arguments were 'better formulated' & the only evidence against Kuru was 'strategy.' I would argue the best evidence is strategy. Besides, the fact that you can find so much 'evidence' to tie me to the other wolves means that I am either innocent or an extremely clumsy wolf.

Quote:
Estel: loud but also oddly quiet; having a hand in the lynchings but never really taking a lead role; could be the victim of circumstance and bad-timing in his votes, particularly yesterday, but that's an awful lot of bad-luck...
I have always given warning when I know that I will be forced to be away from my comp-er-the village council. As to luck, I seem to remember an innocent brewer who had similar luck before being wrongfully hung.

Quote:
Of course, perhaps Kuru is the wolf after all and is wanting to end it at the lynching without having to wait for the NIGHT to do me in
Well it's a bit late to be thinking of that old boy...

I am more suspicious of Kuru at the time, but Fordim is either extremely misguided or a very cunning wolf. Seeing as Kuru will not vote for himself, the villages only hope is that we lynch Fordim with me & hope that he is a wolf, because I know I am not. That said I will act in the best intrest of the village, as I have always tried to:
++Fordim
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 08:21 AM   #364
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Hmmmmm...I rather suspect you are wanting to kill off myself and TORE at the same time. Well, as it's the end of the game...er...village either way I don't have any objection in theory
You are correct sir! However, I'd really have little choice in the matter. It would depend on how Estel wanted to go.

Quote:
but I would think that my innocence had been pretty amply demonstrated by this point.
Hmm...who knows...

Obviously, the weakness in my little plan is if Oddwen is the werewolf. However, if she is then she deserves to win and the ending would be appropriate in more ways than one.

++ FORDIM
Old 06-14-2005, 08:24 AM   #365
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan
Obviously, the weakness in my little plan is if Oddwen is the werewolf. However, if she is then she deserves to win and the ending would be appropriate in more ways than one.
And if you are the wolf, sir, then I do indeed doff my cap for having ended the run with a double-lynching.

But I'm still sure about Estel....

Pretty sure....

Sure enough....

*Fordim looks worried*
Old 06-14-2005, 08:29 AM   #366
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Well, well, well. Here's an interesting conclusion to what has been a blood-soaked week-and-a-half.

I have quite a detailed scene to type so I'll post it in a little while. I know you're on the edge of your seat....
Old 06-14-2005, 08:37 AM   #367
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
*Fordim looks worried*
As you should, as you should.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:59 AM   #368
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots Here at the end of all things...

The villagers were remarkably placid on this day of days. It would either signal a new beginning for Storyland, or it would be its final and darkest day. Only 4 remained, and they had decided that 2 would be put to death. The villagers shifted uneasily when they had to decide how to do this.

Finally, The Only Real Estel spoke up: "I will go first. I want to show Fordim that I am innocent. Granted, that will only make him feel worse due to his mistake in accusing me so, but I want to redeem myself in front of his eyes."

So up to the gallows he went. "What are you lot waiting for? Hang me!" he screamed.

Up stepped Kuruharan to tighten the noose. Before he pulled the lever, Estel spoke his last words: "To all those who are not wolves, I forgive you. Even my friend Fordim." Kuru pulled the lever, and the snap of Estel's neck resonated throughout the ghost town. He hung very still with melancholy in his eyes.

Kuru and Oddwen turned to Fordim and gave him a stern look. In return, all the loremaster could do was shuffle his feet and mutter "So......I guess I was wrong."

He offered no resistance (which didn't strike the other two as strange in any way) and they tied him up quickly. "Well, you had us fooled for a long time" said Kuru "but we've finally got you."

Within seconds Fordim Hedgethistle was dead, hanging side by side with The Only Real Estel.

The two remaining villagers stood long in silence.

"He's not a werewolf" said Kuruharan.

"No, he's definitely not." replied Oddwen.

"And neither was Estel"

"Evidently."

Turning to look at his friend, Kuruharan had the strangest feeling that he had been through this scene before, only now there was a cruel twist to that dream.

Oddwen just smiled the wickedest smile Kuruharan had ever seen. In the seconds before she transformed into a werewolf and leapt upon him, Kuruharan had time to reflect upon the folly of the villagers of Storyland. They had come so close to salvation. However, with the way things worked out, under the decisions of its inhabitants, Storyland was no more.

WEREWOLVES WIN!
Old 06-14-2005, 09:04 AM   #369
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
WOW!!!!

Well done Oddwen I think that you were the least suspicious of all. How did you do it? Man I was sure it was either Fordim or Estel. But I think it just shows how little I know about what is ever going on .

I was certain at the end that the villagers may actually win this time.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:09 AM   #370
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Nuts! I knew it...at one time...
Old 06-14-2005, 09:12 AM   #371
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Fordim, I just about choked on my tea when I read that post of yours. I was screaming out loud "He's got it, BY GOD HE'S GOT IT!!!!"
Old 06-14-2005, 09:14 AM   #372
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Nuts indeed. I had given some thought to Oddwen, of course, but I thought it would be either Kuru or Fordim. Nicely done, Oddwen. Imagine, three wolves all in the same camp?

p.s. Blast, Fordim. If you would've brought up that theory again (I had forgotten about it) I would have gone with you on it & we could've orchestrated the greatest comeback in village history! Oh well.

Last edited by The Only Real Estel; 06-14-2005 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:16 AM   #373
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
Fordim, I just about choked on my tea when I read that post of yours. I was screaming out loud "He's got it, BY GOD HE'S GOT IT!!!!"
No need to rub it in. I wish I could blame the other loudmouths for their steadfast refusal to believe in my theory... *glowers*

Or in their incessant desire to see me as some kind of mastermind wolf who could not be wholly trusted... *glowers*

But in the end, I can only blame myself for not having stuck to my conclusions when I just knew they were right.

DARN DARN DARN DARN DARN DARN DARN DARN DARN DARN DARN DARN

As this game has utterly drained me I shan't even be able to think about playing again for a good while...but I will...and when I do, there isn't anyone who is going to shake me from my decisions!!

Stupid Fordim. Stupid! No donut for you!
Old 06-14-2005, 09:21 AM   #374
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
As this game has utterly drained me I shan't even be able to think about playing again for a good while...but I will...and when I do, there isn't anyone who is going to shake me from my decisions!!
I won't be able to play for at least a game, either. My parents were getting irritated at the time commitment & I think it would be suicidal to try to do it back-to-back.

p.s. Fordim, when you got on me about the stretches of time that I was silent I was like "SEE! See Mom! I have to get on NOW! I TOLD you this would happen!!!"
Old 06-14-2005, 09:35 AM   #375
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Well done Shelob, Holbytlass and Oddwen!

Brilliant strategy - let the loudmouths direct all their energies in accusing each other, subtly encourage them in this and then sneak in and claim the game at the end. It worked a treat, mainly because loudmouth behaviour tends to make people suspicious (including the other loudmouths), particularly when it leads to innocent Villagers being lynched.

Wow! How wrong was I? I did suspect Shelob before turning on SoN, but never revisited that theory. I vaguely suspected Holbytlass at one point for her contrasting comments concerning lynching the quiet ones (oh, the irony), but never really pressed the point. But I don't think that I even considered that Oddwen might be a Wolf, except in passing.

I even began to suspect Fordim towards the end, thinking that he had offered up his felow "quiet" Wolves as a sacrifice in order to gain the other Villagers' trust when he was up against the final two.

My one consolation is that Kuru was as wrong about me as I was about him.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:41 AM   #376
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:

Stupid Fordim. Stupid! No donut for you!
Tsk! When I did that people accused me of being closed minded.

Really my preference would have been to lynch Oddwen but I was afraid to suggest it because I wasn't sure about anything and I thought I would be accused of trying to get her hung because I was a wolf. That would be disasterious because I thought our only hope was to hang two and I couldn't vote for myself (and that wouldn't have done any good anyway).

Oh well.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:47 AM   #377
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

If you would have proposed lynching Oddwen to me I probably would've gone along with you - I wasn't sure at all of Fordim, all I knew was you wouldn't vote for yourself. To tell you the truth I had kind've forgotten about Oddwen.

edit: One question, Eomer. Who was the cursed villager?
Old 06-14-2005, 09:51 AM   #378
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Well, then, let this be a lesson to us all! Always act boldly and forget about the consequences! I should have stuck to my original behavior.

Full Speed Ahead, etc!!!!
Old 06-14-2005, 09:57 AM   #379
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Son of Numenor was the cursed villager.

The guardian Firefoot protected:

The Saucepan Man on NIGHT 2

Fordim Hedgethistle on NIGHT 3 (that was the save)

Kuruharan on NIGHT 4 (the night she died)
Old 06-14-2005, 10:00 AM   #380
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Wow, Fordim was right after all. Nice guess!

Is it just me or as SoN been "the cursed" twice in a row now?
Old 06-14-2005, 10:03 AM   #381
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

That's right.

It was bizarre how it worked out. All girls had a special role. The only role any boy had was the one he couldn't know about!
Old 06-14-2005, 10:09 AM   #382
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
It was bizarre how it worked out. All girls had a special role. The only role any boy had was the one he couldn't know about!
Hmm, I'm beginning to believe that the roles were not picked as randomly as they should've been & you are a radically feministic male.

Btw, should we be posting on the original thread now & treating this thread basically as a closed thread?
Old 06-14-2005, 11:19 AM   #383
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

We should've killed them all on day two, Fordim.

Remember, you said this on that day-
Quote:
One more thing I will say is that unless I start to see a lot more from Shelob, Oddwen, Holybtlass, Son of Numenor and in particular Azaeilia I’m going to start agitating to lynch someone more evasive and low-key than my current top suspects…
And I answered...
Quote:
I completely agree. I think it would be delightful to purposefully tie the vote at one a piece and lynch all our evasive/low-key types in one fell swoop.
We should've done it. All three wolves would've been dead.

I always feared that the wolves were the quiet type, but since they were quiet we never had as good a reason to go for them as we did for each other (while I was still alive, anyway). That is the main reason I proposed my non-participation rule on the rules thread- to ensure that this sort of thing wouldn't happen again.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:29 AM   #384
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

If you want to speak about this particular game then please do so here!

I for one would like to thank everyone involved for making it a very fun game. Over 9 pages of the stuff - wow!
Old 06-14-2005, 12:01 PM   #385
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer
Fordim Hedgethistle on NIGHT 3 (that was the save)
Well I'm glad that I got one thing right, at least.

Thank you, Eomer, for moderating the game with such flair. And thanks to everyone else involved (yes, even those who relentlessly accused me *coughKurucough* ). It really was a classic game of Werewolf. Perhaps the best yet.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:13 PM   #386
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
yes, even those who relentlessly accused me *coughKurucough*
mumblemumble...well, you started it. We'd have been better off if everyone had tried to press their charges home and not tried to waffle...
Old 06-14-2005, 12:18 PM   #387
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
In the long run I suppose it was a good thing I got killed off early. Otherwise I'd have ruthlessly pursued our good Fordim until one of us died, making the other look guilty.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 12:21 PM   #388
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuru
We'd have been better off if everyone had tried to press their charges home and not tried to waffle...
Waffle? Well my dear Dwarf, speaking for myself, it was serious analysis - meticulously researched, seamlessly logical, eminently supportable ...

... and almost entirely misguided.

Edit: Btw, Fordim, did you really believe in your Day 1 proposals, or were they simply a device aimed at flushing out the Wolves? Although I stand by my rationale for opposing them, we might, as matters have turned out, done a lot better by implementing them. Although I do agree with Kuru's point that the shortlist is more akin to a rule change, as it requires the moderator's cooperation.

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 06-14-2005 at 12:25 PM.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 12:36 PM   #389
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
It is , I, the 'smart wolf', the 'clumsy wolf', the 'shot in the heart by the great hunter-2nd to die wolf' here to explain a bit of our strategies....

By the 'death to quiet posters rule', it sounds like sour-grapes to me, The Phantom!! Actually, I say go for the rule.

We didn't intend at the beginning for all of us be quiet. We had no real strategies at that point, and kind of went with the flow. Oddwen and Shelob are both students and had very limited time, TORE can relate. I had all the time in the world, but in the beginning it was no ploy. I honestly couldn't keep up. What with Fordim's 2 plans and others actually doing math problems!!

After a couple of days I did notice that the 'loud' talkers were accusing each other. When Fordim (I think it was) had brought up the quiet people's name, it did scare me. But it also dawned on me for all of us to keep as we were. Because it is still such a new game for most people, that there seems to be a theory of there being a 'loud in your face wolf', a 'middle normal-talk wolf', and the 'quiet under-radar wolf'. I knew that no one would think or believe that all 3 would be quiet. And I was right enough. My momma always said I was dumb like a fox. Although, Fordim's 'gut-statement' of all 3 being wolves being quiet was quite nerve-wracking.

Anyway, like I said, Phantom's rule ammendment of killing off those who do not say enough is fine with me. I am not playing the next one, I have to catch up on my sleep and practice the art of accusing with theories, quotes, and math!!

To my fellow sister-wolves, Oddwen and Shelob, it was a real pleasure killing with you both. I hope we remain friendly together on the Downs.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:37 PM   #390
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
it was serious analysis - meticulously researched, seamlessly logical, eminently supportable ...

... and almost entirely misguided.
Hmmm...that sounds vaguely familiar. I wonder why?
Old 06-14-2005, 12:51 PM   #391
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
By the 'death to quiet posters rule', it sounds like sour-grapes to me
No no. Sour grapes can only happen after the fact.

I put forth my non-participation rule well before a single wolf had been discovered.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:03 PM   #392
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Point taken, Phantom. I hope you realized I was joking.
Sometimes, it's hard to remember that others don't know what's going on when you (yourself) do.

TORE will have to do one of his Tol signatures on the dangers of playing this game that it makes one accuse and be suspicious of people in our real lives! Or is it just me?

Last edited by Holbytlass; 06-14-2005 at 01:09 PM.
Holbytlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:05 PM   #393
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
Adding to Holbytlass' post...

We never really planned out our 'DAY' strategies more than to say things like "If you can try to put suspicion on _______" or "If you need to don't feel bad about voting for me"...because of this Fordim's post where he accused Holbytlass and I together and said "There is simply too much evidence here of co-ordinated effort for it to be happenstance" was hysterically funny because it really was just coincidence that we had posted such similar ideas...

about that whole "the other quiet wolf mirrors the actions of her brilliant leader" idea though...Not Happy...(but I'm no longer indignant because of it, so all is forgiven.)

Finally, a thanks to all you 'loudmouths' out there. We never could have won without you.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:46 PM   #394
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I do have a question for you, Fordim.
In the 'quiet' group, why were you the least suspicious of the most quiet one, Azalia?
Old 06-14-2005, 01:51 PM   #395
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Quote:
Turning to look at his friend, Kuruharan had the strangest feeling that he had been through this scene before, only now there was a cruel twist to that dream.
Hahahaha! Funny how things work out sometimes.

Great game, you guys!
Old 06-14-2005, 02:19 PM   #396
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

To answer some questions:

Yes SpM, my proposals on Day One were serious and, as you point out, would probably have yielded better results for the innocents, if not nearly so riveting a game. As you can see, the villagers have to act as a group within a well-defined strategy and not as individuals if they are to have a chance of winning. As final proof of this, I would cite my own (stupidstupidstupid) descent into Playing Big Hero at the end when I thought I could win the game all on my own, and turned my attention away from the big picture toward individual-based strategies designed to show how smart I am, and not really directed toward analysing general trends.

I did not suspect Azaelia, Holby because I could not find any great evidence that she was working with anyone else. Or, rather, I found a lot more evidence of collusion amongst the real wolves.

Which leads me to Shelob...dear, dear Shelob...the fact that the wolves sounded alike may not have been purposeful, but it was still to be expected. You were wolves in the same village, responding to the same situation: of course you reacted and acted similarly. As to the jibes about "smarter" wolves, that was gamesmanship: I was more sure of Holby's guilt than I was of yours (which is why I wanted to go after her on the first lynching -- why oh why did I let TORE's change to that plan blind me!?!?) and I thought that if I riled you a bit you might ruffle visibly. It is greatly to your credit that you did not.

At any event, the wolves won and they did so superbly. But I will cling to my own shred of pride in having identified them halfway through the game. I guess I need to work on my strategies for carrying through with my conclusions!

Good Game All!
Old 06-14-2005, 02:22 PM   #397
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

I apologise for double-posting but it has just occured to me:

The danger for the villagers is acting as individuals.

The danger for the wolves is acting as a group.

The way to defeat the villagers, then, is to get them to act as individually as possible.

The way to defeat the wolves, then, is to get them to act as a group.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:46 PM   #398
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thanks for the answer, Fordim. I was a little worried about you, that if Oddwen came out on top, that you would have a heart attack on seeing how insanely correct you were!! Good to see you alive and posting.

Awww!! Thanks, Estel, for actually doing my suggestion for your sig. It's great!!

And here, Eomer, is something to make you feel better about your blunder, the seer and HER dreams. When Fordim had been saved by Firefoot that night, I forgot about the guardian. I almost P.M.'ed him welcoming him to our pack!!
It was also hard not to mention Fordim in reference to any guarding, as only the guardian and wolves would know.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:47 PM   #399
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
"I thought that if I riled you a bit you might ruffle visibly. It is greatly to your credit that you did not."

I rarely 'ruffle' visibly in speach. Had we been, however, in the same room I assure you your ploy would have worked wonderfully.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:55 PM   #400
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shelob and I posted one minute apart!! IT MUST BE A FUTURE OMEN!!
*dripping in funny irony*